Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Double points to be awarded in last race of 2014 season [merged]

• Please log in to reply
1292 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like it? (739 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like it?

1. Yes (26 votes [3.52%])

Percentage of vote: 3.52%

2. No (688 votes [93.10%])

Percentage of vote: 93.10%

3. Don't care (25 votes [3.38%])

Percentage of vote: 3.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#851 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,587 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:10

Bernie, get your senile hands off of the sport that I'm trying really hard to maintain an interest in! It's old coots like you who are making it a snorefest full of stupid gimmicks. Just go away. Please.

Advertisement

#852 ebc

ebc

• 214 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 16:01

According to http://www.jamesalle...it-the-buffers/ it may not happen.  No surprise really, there is no way this was ever going to be allowed to go through.

#853 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 531 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 17:02

According to http://www.jamesalle...it-the-buffers/ it may not happen.  No surprise really, there is no way this was ever going to be allowed to go through.

But the really powerful opposition has come from promoters of other Grands Prix on the 19 race calendar, who have been on the phone to Ecclestone since the announcement, questioning the justification for the final race, in Abu Dhabi, to be considered “more important” than their race.

A quote from that article. Looks like what many here were saying was going to happen, happend.

Edited by ollebompa, 23 December 2013 - 17:21.

#854 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 17:07

Fingers crossed. Bernie will shit the bed in a hissy fit of course, so if he has to back down watch out for retaliations.

#855 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,721 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 17:45

Last three races instead of last race double points would be even more ridiculous would it not? Would devalue the other sixteen races even more.

#856 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 531 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 17:57

Last three races instead of last race double points would be even more ridiculous would it not? Would devalue the other sixteen races even more.

Yes, but i think is just someting Bernie is saying now to make it look like he didn't get what he wanted to begin with so now, when it backfired, he can do a smooth switch around to the critics side. 

#857 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 983 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 18:57

What is happening now is that Bernie is trying to get the other 18 race venues to pay for reverting to the sane, old rules...

#858 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 864 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:42

There has been some asinine, idiotic and unnecessary things introduced to F1 over the years and this shit ranks right up there with some of the worst. How about actually addressing the dire problems F1 has at the moment instead of introducing further moronic changes, FIA?  The points system should be the points system. Same points awarded for every race not "let's double the points just because it's the last race of the season" F1 just got even more farcical...

Edited by Eff One 2002, 24 December 2013 - 01:46.

#859 dave34m

dave34m

• 431 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:54

Yep absolutely. I am not surprised that the other race holders are causing a backlash, how can you possibly devalue the likes of Silverstone, Monaco, Spa, Monza without there being a strong protest..

It is just ridiculous to give double points at all but the last 3 races would just be 3 time worse.

Honestly if it was just an idea raised by Bernie I think we all would have dismissed it as another loony idea that wouldn't go anywhere, whats worrying is this has been added to the rules already and will now need to be revoked before the start of the season. Fricking Crazy

Advertisement

#860 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 626 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:28

You will all get over it. Just like many have gotten over the idea of V6 turbo's which which was supposed to be a disaster, now many of those same people have warmed up to the idea, and i'm sure once the season gets underway and we can hear the engines live, it won't be an issue at all. Change is just a fact of life. FIA will do what they feel they have to so ease your agony and just accept it.

Edited by f1RacingForever, 24 December 2013 - 02:29.

#861 dave34m

dave34m

• 431 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:25

You will all get over it. Just like many have gotten over the idea of V6 turbo's which which was supposed to be a disaster, now many of those same people have warmed up to the idea, and i'm sure once the season gets underway and we can hear the engines live, it won't be an issue at all. Change is just a fact of life. FIA will do what they feel they have to so ease your agony and just accept it.

They have made plenty of changes that haven't been liked before but this actually has the power to award the championship to someone who doesn't deserve it and that is just totally unacceptable to real race fans. I'm sorry but the protests over this just will not go away.

If they do run next season with this double points rule in place I just hope that the championship isn't decided by it. I would probably feel pity for anyone who won the WDC in that manner.

#862 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,745 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:32

You will all get over it.

I'm sure we will. But I have a feeling that the double points rule will be gone by the time we get to Abu Dhabi, if not in '14 then surely in '15.

FIA will do what they feel they have to so ease your agony and just accept it.

Don't forget that the double points rule wasn't strictly the FIA's idea, but rather the Strategy Group's. (I, for one, am lost as to what double points have to do with F1's overall strategy, but hey.) However, since both Red Bull and Ferrari have turned against the idea, surely it must have come from the commercial rights holder and/or the FIA.

#863 TrollHunter

TrollHunter

• 26 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:20

G'day fellow race fans. First time poster but long time lurker, this thread inspired me to do this pic for you all. 

orrcA2U.jpg

#864 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,721 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:59

So you'll be cheering as well when Bernie decides to artificially make the track wet now and then to make races more entertaining?

#865 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,587 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:57

So you'll be cheering as well when Bernie decides to artificially make the track wet now and then to make races more entertaining?

Don't forget about shortcuts through sections of the track that drivers will be allowed to cut a certain number of times each race. Oh Bernie, why do you insist on turning F1 into an arcade racing game?

#866 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,338 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 13:50

What is happening now is that Bernie is trying to get the other 18 race venues to pay for reverting to the sane, old rules...

Perhaps they threatened to pay half since they get half the points? Or Abu is paying double. There were some rumours last year that the track owners could mount a protest since it is getting harder and harder to organize a race.

I don't think many have gotten over it. Most people here weep when the V10 was fased out in 2006. Even more so with stupid endurance rules and other limits.

We have Pirelli tires that act like it you were on a wet track. That is why we stopped running races in the wet.

#867 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,135 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 14:19

Perhaps they threatened to pay half since they get half the points? Or Abu is paying double. There were some rumours last year that the track owners could mount a protest since it is getting harder and harder to organize a race.

I don't think many have gotten over it. Most people here weep when the V10 was fased out in 2006. Even more so with stupid endurance rules and other limits.

We have Pirelli tires that act like it you were on a wet track. That is why we stopped running races in the wet.

No its not. Look to the Parc Ferme rules for that one.

#868 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,338 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 16:20

I'll put it between <Sarcasm> tags next time. ;)

#869 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 626 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 20:16

That would never happen.

#870 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 531 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 19:53

http://www.formula1....14/1/15359.html

Apparently double points is something to look forward to in 2014   :drunk: .(Bottom of page)

Edited by ollebompa, 02 January 2014 - 19:54.

#871 Anja

Anja

• 491 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 19:56

What did you expect from the official website? :p

#872 Maikel0230

Maikel0230

• 108 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 20:01

That last paragraph is essentially saying: suck it up, suckers!

Edited by Maikel0230, 02 January 2014 - 20:40.

#873 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,682 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 20:07

Tbh normally I'm eagerly counting down the days until FP1 of the 1st race but atm, I simply don't give a damn about this season, I don't care if it's 3 days or 300 days away, I've totally lost interest in it right now.

#874 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 983 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 20:11

I can't believe this stupid idea still hasn't been retracted...

#875 Cult

Cult

• 401 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 20:53

When will they realise that 90%+ of people do not want this cheap sham of an idea.

If the championship is on the line - only because of this idea - at Abu Dhabi I'm switching off. The problem is that if someone wins the championship because of this rule they'll face a lot of criticism. It's just unfair to have this rule in place for everyone - fans, drivers etc.

#876 redreni

redreni

• 2,138 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:50

I don't know when it will get to the point that I stop watching F1 altogether. Probably if/when Germany loses its comprehensive free-to-air television coverage, because I'm not going to subscribe to pay TV whatever happens. We are already long past the point where my interest in the sport has peaked. First the ever-more gutless engines and heavier and heavier cars, then Super Mario Boost (KERS), then the Super Mario Flap (DRS), then the gradual abolition of wet weather racing and, latterly, even wet weather qualifying, stupid safety-car wave-bys for lapped traffic, and racing on vast tarmac car parks without proper enforcement of track limits, all contribute to a situation where I'm less and less bothered about missing the odd race.

Will double points be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me? Probably not, but I definitely think it cheapens F1 even more, and given that the likes of CVC have invested in F1 on the assumption that its value will continue to increase for many years to come, I would say they need to start thinking more about protecting the status of F1 as the pinnacle of professional motorsport.

#877 redreni

redreni

• 2,138 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 14:15

When will they realise that 90%+ of people do not want this cheap sham of an idea.

If the championship is on the line - only because of this idea - at Abu Dhabi I'm switching off. The problem is that if someone wins the championship because of this rule they'll face a lot of criticism. It's just unfair to have this rule in place for everyone - fans, drivers etc.

I don't know why a driver who wins because of the double points rule would be criticised. I mean, there will always be a few idiots: Timo Glock got criticised for apparently cruising on the last lap of Brasil 2008 despite the fact that he was the fastest man on grooved tyres on the track at the time, which shows you that some people will always be criticised on grounds that just defy sense and reason. But surely even the thickest of casual fan will realise the drivers don't make the rules up?

Either way, I'm with you, if there is a bigger than 25 point gap between first and second going into the last race, as far as I'm concerned I'm not interested and I won't watch. In fact, intentionally not watching in those circumstances would be a great way of getting the message home to Bernie that he will not be able to boost audiences for the final race(s) by manipulating the points system. Because under normal circumstances most people will still watch the final race even if the WDC is decided at the previous race. But if we have a situation where the WDC ought to be over but isn't owing to the double points rule, those same people will vote with their remote controls and not tune in. Whether enough people would see it that way to make a difference is another matter, of course...

Edited by redreni, 03 January 2014 - 16:06.

#878 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 343 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 17:53

I was mulling this idea over further the other day while taking a dump (appropriately enough), still don't want it in any circumstances, but the only way I'd even remotely accept it is if they made the finale a 610km race. Double the length, double the work, double the points.

Of course there's all sorts of reasons (TV slots, cars not built to last that long, driver fitness) why this would be unfeasible, which of course leads to the most logical solution, get rid.

doctormo-put-rubbish-in-bin-signs-clip-a

Edited by FerrariV12, 03 January 2014 - 17:54.

#879 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 886 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 18:27

they know but just don't care, and we should bring banners to the races or pre season tests that express our disgust to put it in the public eye

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 03 January 2014 - 18:27.

Advertisement

#880 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 19:39

Even worst than the artificial rain idea.

Edited by Kingshark, 03 January 2014 - 19:39.

#881 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 19:51

Even worst than the artificial rain idea.

And artificial rain wouldn't even work because the way F1 is run nowadays. As soon as Bernie opens the valve to wet the track Whiting would just put the race under safety car.  ;)  

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 03 January 2014 - 21:46.

#882 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 5,956 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 21:34

And artificial rain wouldn't even work because the way F1 is run nowadays. As soon as Bernie opens the valve to wet the track Whiting would just put the race under safety car.  

If there was a serious proposal to fit tracks with sprinklers, it would be accompanied by rule changes to parc ferme that would allow wet-weather running.

#883 Otaku

Otaku

• 457 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:26

Tbh normally I'm eagerly counting down the days until FP1 of the 1st race but atm, I simply don't give a damn about this season, I don't care if it's 3 days or 300 days away, I've totally lost interest in it right now.

My feelings exactly.

#884 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,550 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:05

The only way one could sell a double points system is if you allocate it to the historically significant races, Monte Carlo, Monza and Spa Francorchamps. All these races extend back to ththe 1920s and whose list of winners reads like a pantheon to the greats.

#885 Abranet

Abranet

• 113 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:53

Yeah but [INSERT WINNING DRIVER NAME] still had to win the race, if [INSERT LOSING DRIVERS NAME] was that good he would have won the race and the Championship.

I'll leave this here for next year and whoever needs it can just copy/paste.

Shit rule, forums will go into meltdown worldwide once the first championship is won/lost in this way.

#886 kismet

kismet

• 6,969 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:31

Not a big fan of the double points idea but sailing seems to have made it work alright, I think. Obviously they're different sports, and I can see why the potential for apparent unfairness is more pronounced in motorsports, but... Meh. It's not like the WDC title indicates you're the best of the bunch or that F1 is the bastion of fair and equal competition as is. I don't think of F1 as a real sport anyway so what does one more sprinkling of artificial crap really matter? I know, I'm a monster.

Edited by kismet, 04 January 2014 - 10:46.

#887 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,338 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:50

And artificial rain wouldn't even work because the way F1 is run nowadays. As soon as Bernie opens the valve to wet the track Whiting would just put the race under safety car.  ;)  

We have Pirelli for that with random quality tires. So no need for wet running. The bobo's might get wet... :eek:

#888 redreni

redreni

• 2,138 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 13:28

If there was a serious proposal to fit tracks with sprinklers, it would be accompanied by rule changes to parc ferme that would allow wet-weather running.

Yet when water falls from the sky, F1 is incapable of coming up with regulations that allow for wet running.

#889 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 5,956 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 13:49

Yet when water falls from the sky, F1 is incapable of coming up with regulations that allow for wet running.

That's because no one really cares about it at present. If they really wanted to, they could change parc ferme rules and allow adjustable ride height in the pits, which would enable better running in wet conditions.

#890 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 14:06

I don't know when it will get to the point that I stop watching F1 altogether. Probably if/when Germany loses its comprehensive free-to-air television coverage, because I'm not going to subscribe to pay TV whatever happens.

I could not agree more. 2014 is the first year where I do not try to keep F1 sundays free from other activities. I will probably stop following F1 at the end of the test sessions. The new car designs always interest me, so maybe this forum and F1 technical will be all I need to the 2014 season. The racing however does not interest me any more.

#891 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 16:58

The only way one could sell a double points system is if you allocate it to the historically significant races, Monte Carlo, Monza and Spa Francorchamps. All these races extend back to ththe 1920s and whose list of winners reads like a pantheon to the greats.

And imagine this - a driver such as Maldonado wins in Adu Dhabi and picks up the double (50) points,  He will be able to claim that he is the greatest driver of them all having been awarded the most points in one race in F1 history.  

ps. I wonder what Fangio would think of this, considering he won the wdc in 1954 with just 42 points, the biggest total of his career! 

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 04 January 2014 - 17:07.

#892 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,635 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 19:36

The Montezemolo 'summit' has yet to happen, should be this month. The thing will be dropped then. Hopefully.

#893 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 531 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:40

http://online.wsj.co...304251834532082

Read and see how highly Bernie regards us fans.

#894 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 734 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:40

http://gptoday.com/f...ints_criticism/

Ecclestone says he initially proposed awarding double points at the final three races but "it didn't go through so I said, 'I know, let's do one race' and everybody went along with it." He says he came up with the idea in a bid to end the domination of F1 by Vettel and Red Bull Racing which has won the title for the past four years running.

Last year Vettel wrapped it up three races before the end of the season and Ecclestone says that it dented interest in F1 from then on.

"It was a non-championship. It lost TV interest, it lost a lot. If the last three races were double points the teams would say, 'let's see about this'. If Fernando wins two out of the three, then even if Sebastian is second, the championship is still going to run until the end."

He adds that the plan to award double points could be torpedoed if the teams and the FIA vote against it at the next Strategy Group meeting. However, Ecclestone says he is still driving for the scheme to be extended. "The idea is to move it to three races maybe before 2015." Time will tell whether that happens.

Edited by Newbrray, 07 January 2014 - 08:42.

#895 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:43

But what if Vettel and RBR win those 3 races....

#896 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,157 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:48

and it's Fernando who loses the championship.

#897 ANF

ANF

• 624 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:50

Fire the torpedoes!

#898 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,798 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:59

Bernie seems to be suggesting that TV audiences wane when the championship is mathematically over.

I think he's wrong, I don't think people chose to watch or not based on a table of results.

I think it wanes after a period of domination, where the result is reasonably predictable, and the racing is predictably boring, in which the dominator has abused position (Schuey victory at Austria 2002, Vettel victory at Malaysia 2013).

If the points are changed to double points, this isn't going to change peoples decision not to watch the race as they're just going to predict the dominator will win a boring race still.

#899 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 531 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:37

"The people that were against it were some of the teams," said Ecclestone adding that the critics "don't know why it's a bad idea. They have no idea why."

Advertisement

#900 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 864 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:55

Yup, you and many other fans, some of whom (like myself) have been following F1 for decades now....