Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Double points to be awarded in last race of 2014 season [merged]

• Please log in to reply
1292 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like it? (739 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like it?

1. Yes (26 votes [3.52%])

Percentage of vote: 3.52%

2. No (688 votes [93.10%])

Percentage of vote: 93.10%

3. Don't care (25 votes [3.38%])

Percentage of vote: 3.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,644 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:25

Hopefully this will convince even the most idiotic of the Great Unwashed that the World Championship is a meaningless bauble.  A sop thrown to entertain those of sub-human intelligence.  An accountancy exercise whose merits in determining the best driver are about as relevant as reading sheep liver.

Advertisement

#52 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,145 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:25

I just hope that nobody loses a WDC because of this stupid rule. Maybe a win could reward double points, but no ****ing way is a fourth place worth almost the same points as a win anywhere else.

#53 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,107 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:26

I´m not a fan of storms in a tea cup and apocalypses with every regulation change, but this is SO stupid that could take some of my interest and respect for the series away.

There seems to be more and more "show" and the competition is no longer top 1 priority. The overtaking aids make some sense, giving extra value to a random race is nonsense.

#54 FBJim

FBJim

• 100 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:26

Isn't it always? I don't think it's the right way to go about it, but it's hardly the end of the world.

I know it's fashionable act like every poor decision made in F1 is destroying the sport, but I really don't see how this has any major effect.

Of course points systems are arbitrary. Of course we can extrapolate this into absurd lengths, in order to justify all sorts of stupidity.

The "goal" of a points system before, however, was to provide an objective, quantifiable answer to a subjective question: "Who was the best driver of the year?". It's obviously going to be somewhat contrived, but, at it's core, it's asking the right question. We do, after all, want the WDC to be the "best driver of the year". 

With this change, the question changes. It's not about recognizing the best driver of the year anymore; by arbitrarily assigning the last race of the year double points, it's now asking something completely different. 

#55 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,145 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:27

http://www.fia.com/contact-us

I am going to give FIA my opinion. Please do the same.

#56 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,629 posts

2012, 2008, 2003.

So Vettel and Fred both have 3, Lewis has none and Massa 1, Kimi 2, and Michael 6?

#57 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,426 posts

As if the sport wasn't a joke enough.

Can Mickey Dhabi play for 10 times more points for 2015.

#58 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,629 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:28

Hopefully this will convince even the most idiotic of the Great Unwashed that the World Championship is a meaningless bauble.  A sop thrown to entertain those of sub-human intelligence.  An accountancy exercise whose merits in determining the best driver are about as relevant as reading sheep liver.

It's that Churchill quote on Democracy.

#59 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 3,635 posts

Hey, maybe with double points the drivers might actually try to overtake one and other!!!!!!!!

Advertisement

#60 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 957 posts

I agree with that. I just don't see why awarding double points at the last race incites so much anger round here.

You usually don't chose a time for a DNF. Losing more by sheer bad luck of it happening on one circuit is terribly unfair. Teams might even consider going into preservation mode in the last few races just to spare some life-time on their car's parts, dunno.

#61 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

So how many WDCs would have turned out differently had last races always been awarded double points? 

2012 (Alonso)

2007 (Massa)

2003 (Raikkonen)

That's since 1990. I really don't like that change. It's unfair and just plain idiotic. Don't think it's more artificial than not counting all races though.

Edit: God i'm slow.

Edited by dau, 09 December 2013 - 18:29.

#62 pRy

pRy

• 10,817 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:29

If my maths is right:

JPN Vettel lead 90 with 100 remaining. (125 with new system).

IND Vettel lead 115 with 75 remaining. (100 with new system).

So Vettel would have won the championship in India even with the new bonus points system?

#63 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,399 posts

I hope someone investigates whether the holder of the last race offered money for this rule change.

Even NASCAR wouldn't do something this dumb. The last race of the year is run no differently than the first, second, or ninth event. The cars are the same and all the competitors are at every round. Points are points. 

Uh, they have the chase. This is bad, but the chase is worse.

#64 P0inters

P0inters

• 412 posts

Neither the Strategy Group nor the F1 Commission are "the FIA" regardless of how many angry smileys you post.

Sorry , just had to get it out of the system. The sports been ruined and it's only getting worse.  :|

#65 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,583 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:30

Idiotic.

#66 Massa

Massa

• 4,163 posts

It's so stupid. I can't believe it

#67 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

http://www.fia.com/contact-us

I am going to give FIA my opinion. Please do the same.

Neither the Strateg....oh, sod it, i give up. 

#68 Tosh

Tosh

• 261 posts

Whaaaaaaaaaat???? Speechless...

#69 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,716 posts

Hey, maybe with double points the drivers might actually try to overtake one and other!!!!!!!!

or they would try even less because a DNF/mistake is way more costly

#70 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 6,866 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:32

Of course points systems are arbitrary. Of course we can extrapolate this into absurd lengths, in order to justify all sorts of stupidity.

The "goal" of a points system before, however, was to provide an objective, quantifiable answer to a subjective question: "Who was the best driver of the year?". It's obviously going to be somewhat contrived, but, at it's core, it's asking the right question. We do, after all, want the WDC to be the "best driver of the year". 

With this change, the question changes. It's not about recognizing the best driver of the year anymore; by arbitrarily assigning the last race of the year double points, it's now asking something completely different. 

For 40 years the last race(s) of the season counted for less depending on the driver and how successful they had been over the course of that year. The days of dropped scores.

So yeah, I prefer if all the races counted for the same amount for every driver. But this hardly spoils my enjoyment of the sport.

Edit: I'll probably leave this thread to run it's course, because F1 would have to get a lot worse to eclipse the melodrama round here.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 09 December 2013 - 18:33.

#71 Knot

Knot

• 352 posts

Once again, this is an idea that's an answer to a question no one asked.

What teams start coasting at the end of the year? Not the ones looking for points, and certainly not any teams racing at the pointy end of the grid...even teams not going for #1 still bang it out at the very end for WCC points.

These folks need to stop being fascinated by trivialities.

#72 Spillage

Spillage

• 793 posts

****ing stupid idea. Here's hoping they'll reverse this lunacy like they did with Bernie's medal system a few years back. It's almost as if they want to devalue the world championship.

#73 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,237 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:33

Hahahahahah what a Farce!!! Is there anybody remaining who takes this "Sport" seriously? Soon you will be able to throw Bananas on the track and shoot turtles on your opponents. Formula Farce

#74 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 5,490 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:33

Fricking Idiots Assembled? 

#75 Laura23

Laura23

• 40 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:34

Terrible idea.

It doesn't seem fair that a driver can work hard all season to build up a 49 point gap only to lose it all because of some stupid gimmick to try and make people watch a race in Abu Dhabi. A 49 point gap with one race left should be more than enough to win a title IMO, it proves the driver with that gap has been consistent all year and deserves the title.

If we had to have a double points race it should have been the season opener. That way driver have the rest of the year to still catch up on the points they may have missed out on for whatever reason. It'd be fairer.

I don't believe the 'special races' like Monaco should get double points just because it's Monaco either. The racing there is usually dreadful and no race should get double points simply because of it's location, if they picked double points races based on location then we'd see the races who don't get it causing a lot of fuss. Monaco already gets special treatment anyway given it doesn't pay a race fee.

#76 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,153 posts

No no no no....

#77 sabjit

sabjit

• 297 posts

This makes my blood boil.

#78 Lights

Lights

• 9,304 posts

"Oh boy, double points this weekend, this will push me to drive faster".

#79 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 279 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:35

:down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:

Advertisement

#80 zachary2142

zachary2142

• 199 posts

I wonder whether points systems where only certain number of best results are counted towards championship were/are hated so much and if not, why not? The first one is as artificial as this one.

#81 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,066 posts

Seeing as this is universally hated, perhaps they will go back on it?

#82 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:36

I wonder whether points systems where only certain number of best results are counted towards championship were/are hated so much and if not, why not? The first one is as artificial as this one.

I doubt it. There was no internet back then.

#83 P0inters

P0inters

• 412 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:36

I really start to ask myself wether i watch F1 or not next year. I was going to accept DRS and "the tyres" because they spiced up the races, but now they went too far... If this rumour turns out to be true... This is not the F1 i learned to love

Sadly , it's not a rumour anymore.  :(

How ridiculous. They fail to see the disadvantages - any bad luck or mechanical issues are effectively doubled in that race. Someone could be in third position the entire season, fluke a rainy win in the last round and win the championship. Imagine the backlash. Even he would feel bad. 

That's presuming it rains in Abu Dhabi. Extremley unlikely.  :p But yeah , I agree 100% with you.

#84 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:37

Seeing as this is universally hated, perhaps they will go back on it?

Could happen if enough people complain. Coordinated protest directed at FIA, FOM, the teams and maybe even the Abu Dhabi organisers would be worth a try, i guess. What happened to the Formula One Fan Association?

Edited by dau, 09 December 2013 - 18:38.

#85 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,769 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:38

F-ing hell, such a stupid rule out of nowhere. If fans weren't bored with F1 politics, they should be now.

#86 FBJim

FBJim

• 100 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:38

If we're trying to determine the best driver of the year, ignoring the idea of points systems entirely, I think someone would be very reasonable in saying that one should try to minimize the effect of bad luck by judging drivers on their best results, rather than penalizing the one with the most bad results. I mean, it's not something I'd agree with, but it's a reasonable point. I can't however, think of any real reason why someone would decide that the last race of the season is twice as important as the others. It's a blatant attempt to keep numbers on a spreadsheet closer together.

#87 Anja

Anja

• 491 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:40

What a bunch of bullshit. Honestly, is there even one person on this board who thinks this is a good idea?

#88 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,087 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:41

:rotfl:

#89 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,935 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:42

How come those "don't even think about it" ideas keep coming?

#90 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,724 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:43

It's worse than the chase. Christ on a bike...

#91 Anja

Anja

• 491 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:44

How come those "don't even think about it" ideas keep coming?

That's because those in charge of the "sport" don't listen to anyone, especially the fans.

#92 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 19,890 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:44

What would make teams sign off on this? Think what an odd final race could do to the lower mid field where a couple of points can make a huge difference. 

#93 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,387 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:46

More garbage decisions, but what would you expect from thse clowns.

The only reason for awarding double points would be if the said race was actually something different ie something that deserved special status, like 500km race in the midst of all the regular Grand Prix. And even then it would be worthless if given to some no-one-gives-a-crap-yas-marina-GP, Monaco would probably be the only one to qualify for that. Monaco 500.

But it would probably suck too.

#94 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 841 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:47

What a ridiculous idea!  :down:

#95 ASFA2011

ASFA2011

• 294 posts

It might not be a very good idea but something has to be done to stop the teams to just give up developing their cars with 5-6 races remaining in the season , this season was complete BS , after the summer break pretty much everyone stood the same allowing those dominant performances from RB all the way to the end , last races were a joke

#96 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,769 posts

What would make teams sign off on this? Think what an odd final race could do to the lower mid field where a couple of points can make a huge difference. 

Sorry, English not my main language. "Sign off on" means will teams approve or disapprove?

#97 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,080 posts

Will Abu Dhabi be announced as 51% stake owner in F1 when Bernie goes to jail??

This is like giving double scores on football just because the goal was done on over-time

#98 Laura23

Laura23

• 40 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:48

Imagine we get another Brazil 2012 type situation? A team like Force India leading a race, perhaps winning it when usually they are in the low points at best. It'd rapidly change the outlook of the WCC based on just a single race, not an entire season.

#99 froggy22

froggy22

• 793 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:49

Thought they would at least introduce "Point for Pole" first before they went anywhere near double points

Advertisement

#100 zachary2142

zachary2142

• 199 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:49

If we're trying to determine the best driver of the year, ignoring the idea of points systems entirely, I think someone would be very reasonable in saying that one should try to minimize the effect of bad luck by judging drivers on their best results, rather than penalizing the one with the most bad results. I mean, it's not something I'd agree with, but it's a reasonable point. I can't however, think of any real reason why someone would decide that the last race of the season is twice as important as the others. It's a blatant attempt to keep numbers on a spreadsheet closer together.

The driver is dependent on the team that provides him/her a car, just as much as a team is dependent on a driver. Why should those bad results be discounted? The driver, team, or both should do a better job then. To me, determining the best driver of the year in a multi-spec series is impossible - it's always a driver-car combo. So I wouldn't even be averse to removing WDC entirely.

BTW I know you said you don't agree with the idea of discounting bad results, I'm just arguing the point here. And another BTW, it's not that I like this new doubling of points - I'm just saying there were as "unfair" points systems in the past.