- - - - -

Fans uniting and much criticism on new Double Points Plans

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 13:42

My question for this topic is simple: I've had enough of F1's bullshit, trying to rig the competition with double points ( http://forums.autosp...of-2014-season/ ) on a snoozefest circuit which has the potential to shift around drivers in better cars in the WDC / WCC standings too much and therefore mess with the system, and I want to do something about it.

FIRST SOLID STEP: FANS, ASSEMBLE ON THIS UNITING PAGE FOR UPDATES.

Where to start?

- Online petitions are always going to fail, except if we're getting about 30 percent of all F1 viewers (which was 500+ million in 2012). But then we have to put all efforts together and coordinate really well.

- Spamming the FIA mailbox isn't going to do jack I think.

I'm thinking of setting up a real life forum with hardcore F1 fans who know what they're talking about and invite Sky, presenters, FIA, team bosses / delegates / circuits and discuss the problems F1 has been experiencing with declining amounts of visitors and the bad economy.

More ideas? Shoot them here please and discuss what is viable and what isn't.

Edited by Buttoneer, 11 December 2013 - 12:49.

Advertisement

#2 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 13:51

More ideas? 

I've got one:

Shoot them 

Edited by Zava, 10 December 2013 - 13:52.

#3 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:02

It's original and hilarious in a way, but I prefer serious discussion. I really want to kick this off, together with other fans who think the dillution of the sport should stop right now.

It has got to say something that every (i mean EVERY) poll I see about this topic, reads that 85%+ of the fans is against it.

Edited by Jejking, 10 December 2013 - 14:06.

#4 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,122 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:09

From BBC sport feed:

"Football saw backpasses to a goalkeeper outlawed. Cricket introduced video technology to challenge an umpire's decision. Rugby league revamped their Super League play-off system to allow one team to choose their next opponents. Change in sport is nothing new. And now it is the turn of Formula 1 to suggest a radical overhaul...."

I think this has some truth but those football and cricket examples were technical changes as was DRS and the numerous other tech rule changes that F1 has been though over the last 10 years. Arguably F1 has already changed immeasurably more than either of those sports from a technical viewpoint.

Let's face it, these aren't sporting changes, they are financial changes to keep interest and viewing figures as high as possible to the end of the season. Almost a cup final.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 10 December 2013 - 14:13.

#5 DrivenF1

DrivenF1

• 1,050 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:10

I say fans from various parts of the world group together at cluster points and like you say put together a forum/discussion. We can then record or get broadcasting companies to record the event.

I'm happy to lead part of the organisation of this. We could flock to locations like Silverstone, publicise the event heavily and get a number of knowledgeable people together. We can then discuss findings from various websites (polls) and discuss what changes could be good for the sport.

It's time we try to make the changes which matter.

#6 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:12

I think Real and Influencing Action is anything that can influence F1 financially. For example if sponsors become concerned that F1 is not really the right platform for showcasing their brand, and are looking for other options. Then Bernie & FIA have to put in an effort to strengthen F1 financially and please them.

However, sponsor interests are related to the audience, because if no-one is watching the sport, there is no point in marketing. This means that for sponsors to look elsewhere, there must be a significant and globally visible exodus of F1 fanbase, who find something else to do/follow, and sponsors would have to go the same way. And it must be very visible that it really is happening.

However, it is pretty hard to think, how to do this efficiently. And for people to really go away from F1, they would need a good alternative. Maybe some influential F1 people should be motivated to form a breakaway series again, and get sponsors behind them believing they have the support of F1 core fan base, who are fully prepared to come along with them and follow the new series. This is the kind of power that could force FIA and F1 supremo to do something to reach a consensus.

Unfortunately this is politics and only big and radical steps can help here. Not just some "discussion forums".

Edited by sopa, 10 December 2013 - 14:14.

#7 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:13

Jeking, I agree entirely with the the thrust of what you are saying, but I think your OP exposes the heart of the problem; F1 viewership is said to be 500 million viewers (I actually find this hard to believe, although I know it is the quoted figure) - how many of those viewers really care about all the dicking around with the rules? A few hundred on each countries forum, maybe thousands of fans globally?

I strongly suspect that the rest of those 500 million - lets say 499.9 million viewers - couldn't care less. F1 will more or less look the same to them whatever weird or contrived rules we have, and they are where the money lies. It doesn't matter what the points system is, how many forced tyre stops there are, or whether overtakes and battles are 'pure' or the result of a 'push to pass' button or even a viewer vote a la Formula E. We simply don't matter.

Heck, I've seen more than enough posts on forums calling for even more contrivence and sneering at 'purists' who find this direction a turn off.

What really bothers me is that the likes of Frank Williams, Niki Lauda, (Ron Dennis?) and countless others who have been involved with the sport for decades and I would like to think of as pure racing heads presumbaly think all of this is fine and dandy. Who am I to argue with Sir Frank if he would prefer random points, DRS passes and cheesey tyres? We all know what Mark Webber thought of it, and respect to him for voicing his opinion and getting out to do something he respects more.

It is the people in the sport who are driving this direction, and far from seeing no problem with it they seem to be actively encouraging it. I have no forgetten Martin Whitmarshes comments about the tyres that fans would want to see the teams 'struggle', or Eric Bouliers comments that highlights are a better deal for me than watching the full race live because a full race is boring. They don't understand me as a fan at all, but maybe I am no longer their target audience.

Sorry, I know this proposes no solutions, except to say that if a profitable market existed for the type of single seater motor racing we wanted to see, something would happen to fill the gap. Where is it?

Edited by spacekid, 10 December 2013 - 14:20.

#8 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:13

It's original and hilarious in a way, but I prefer serious discussion. I really want to kick this off, together with other fans who think the dillution of the sport should stop right now.

It has got to say something that every (i mean EVERY) poll I see about this topic, reads that 85%+ of the fans is against it.

OK, sorry for that. to be ON, my view is that fans can't really do anything about it  :well: other than boycotting the last race to produce low viewer numbers, which will simply not happen (because hardcore fans are a small minority compared to the casual viewers, who won't really care about boycotting it), especially if it is a genuine title decider.

#9 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:14

From BBC sport feed:

"Football saw backpasses to a goalkeeper outlawed. Cricket introduced video technology to challenge an umpire's decision. Rugby league revamped their Super League play-off system to allow one team to choose their next opponents. Change in sport is nothing new. And now it is the turn of Formula 1 to suggest a radical overhaul...."

Ten, you're forgetting one thing: this isn't natural evolution of a sport. Ruling out the human factor in championship deciding stuff is a good thing, because sometimes things go to fast or need to be checked. This gives an unfair advantage to any competitor who is by luck strong on that circuit, and also doubles the penalty for not being so good. Having an off-weekend in a potential WDC/WCC-deciding event is going to mix things up and waste a good buildup to a climax. We can't allow that to happen.

#10 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,312 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:16

The most effective way would be for people to boycott and not attend the Abu Dhabi GP or watch it on TV. Which would be difficult to accomplish. Another measure could be taken by other circuits, who could protest against the idea and threaten not to hold their races because basically their relevance decreases quite a lot if Abu Dhabi will become such an important event. 

#11 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:18

Jeking, I agree entirely with the the thrust of what you are saying, but I think your OP exposes the heart of the problem; F1 viewership is said to be 500 million viewers (I actually find this hard to believe, although I know it is the quoted figure) - how many of those viewers really care about all the dicking around with the rules? A few hundred on each countries forum, maybe thousands of fans globally?

I strongly suspect that the rest of those 500 million - lets say 499 million viewers - couldn't care less. F1 will more or less look the same to them whatever weird or contrived rules we have, and they are where the money lies. it doesn't matter what the points system is, how many forced tyre stops there are, or whether overtakes and battles are 'pure' or the result of a 'push to pass' button or even a viewer vote a la Formula E. We simply don't matter.

Heck, I've seen more than enough posts on forums calling for even more contrivence and sneering at 'purists' who find this direction a turn off.

What really bothers me is that the likes of Frank Williams, Niki Lauda, (Ron Dennis?) and countless others who have been involved with the sport for decades and I would like to think of as pure racing heads presumbaly think all of this is fine and dandy. Who am I to argue with Sir Frank if he would prefer random points, DRS passes and cheesey tyres? We all know what Mark Webber thought of it, and respect to him for voicing his opinion and getting out to do something he respects more.

It is the people in the sport who are driving this direction, and far from seeing no problem with it they seem to be actively encouraging it. I have no forgetten Martin Whitmarshes comments about the tyres that fans would want to see the teams 'struggle', or Eric Bouliers comments that highlights are a better deal for me than watching the full race live because a full race is boring. They doesn't understand me as a fan at all, but maybe I am no longer their target audience.

Sorry, I know this proposes no solutions, except to say that if a profitable market existed for the type of single seater motor racing we wanted to see, something would happen to fill the gap. Where is it?

I concur, it's a bizarre time. But what if we do nothing at all? There is work to be done, and if we don't do it nobody will. Money rules and if people get united, things might spark off eventually. F.e. the ways FOM is hunting down forums to forbid people to share video footage of F1 before 1981 (I think) is bizarre. Sports should embrace their fans, not work against it. That is also a point of discussion here, because money can and will be made if things are being lead in the right direction.

#12 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:19

The most effective way would be for people to boycott and not attend the Abu Dhabi GP or watch it on TV. Which would be difficult to accomplish. Another measure could be taken by other circuits, who could protest against the idea and threaten not to hold their races because basically their relevance decreases quite a lot if Abu Dhabi will become such an important event. 

Excellent idea. Let's get the circuits involved, althought it's possible 'Bernie' will pay up a bit for them to be quiet?

#13 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,603 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:19

Wasn't that 500m figure the amount of viewers who at least saw 15 minutes of a whole season? Watching the evening news with 1 minute items could fetch you that.

#14 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 1,824 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:21

It has gotten ridiculous, everyone agrees.  My question is - why are they so out of touch?  I would surmise they're jaded, being insiders... but... ahrghhh....

#15 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:23

Not sure actually SenorSjon, this was one of my sources: http://sports.ndtv.c...-in-2012-season

#16 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:23

I'll try to not watch Abu Dhabi.

#17 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,202 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:34

The power of collective thought.

If every race fan in the world closes their eyes at the same time and prays real hard for the championship to be over by Brazil

(Driver X having 51 points)

There is a good chance the cosmos will grant us our wish and the sham will be annulled.

I say Midnight Dec 31 2013

Jp

#18 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:34

I am not sure those 500 million people can be called any kind of F1 fans.

I think we are generally talking about people, who on a boring Sunday have nothing to do, flick through TV channels to find something interesting. Let's think of ourselves. F1 is our passion, but many other fields of area make us indifferent. And they catch our attention if something "interesting" or out of ordinary is happening.

Let's think of ourselves, who find many other things as a bit of "meh" and wonder, how people are passionate about it, and how we understand these things. Now let's think about F1, where we are passionate. Let's think about big companies/influencing core sponsors like Santander, Philip Morris, Red Bull, etc. It is not important for them that F1 is "pure" or even "racing". They are not motor-racing companies in itself, they just try to find ways to showcase their brand. The only important thing is visibility - that if people flick through channels on Sundays, they stop on F1 coverage and notice their brands, because something "interesting" may be happening there compared to other ongoing TV shows. And this interesting may not be anything related to pure F1 racing. Random guy on the street defines "interesting" in his own different way. From tens and tens of entertainment options available on TV (s)he happens to stop on F1 coverage.

We are not talking about F1 and its future in isolation. We are talking about entertainment business in general. Red Bull and Vodafone can easily sponsor something else, who have audience and interesting entertainment. F1 needs to please the needs of them to remain "financially viable". And that's why the future of F1 is going further and further away from what we consider pure competition and racing. Inevitably.

Edited by sopa, 10 December 2013 - 14:38.

#19 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:35

Not sure actually SenorSjon, this was one of my sources: http://sports.ndtv.c...-in-2012-season

Indeed the best way to get the point across is for fans to stop watching. The reason silly rules come in is because interest is fading but only part of it is because the racing has been dull. The major part is because less people are watching or able to watch because viewing is too costly. The sport has become more costly to run because sponsors aren't willing to pay as much as they used to and the organisers think squeezing the fans is a good way to get a return. We are all feeling the pinch and have the choice not to watch. If nobody or significantly less fans are watching, the whole business model of F1 falls into question. These rule changes and show pieces just dull the sport down even further. I'll be surprised if I am watching it in 5 years.

Edited by tifosiMac, 10 December 2013 - 14:38.

Advertisement

#20 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:37

If every race fan in the world closes their eyes at the same time and prays real hard for the championship to be over by Brazil

There is a good chance the cosmos will grant us our wish and the sham will be annulled.

Jp

Hihiha, no thank you, let's stay serious.

#21 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:38

Jp

That what I'll ask for on my birthday.

#22 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:40

Indeed the best way to get the point across is for fans to stop watching. The reason silly rules come in is because interest is fading but only part of it is because the racing has been dull. Tyhe major part id because less people are watching or able to watch because viewing is too costly. The sport has become more costly to run because sponsors aren't willing to pay as much as they used to and the organisers think squeezing the fans is a good way to get a return. We are all feeling the pinch and have the choice not to watch. If nobody or significantly less fans are watching, the whole business model of F1 falls into question. These rule changes and show pieces just dull the sport down even further. I'll be surprised if I am watching it in 5 years.

Well, if the Autosport forum community stops watching, Bernie will still be laughing pretty hard I think.

I am not sure those 500 million people can be called any kind of F1 fans.

I think we are generally talking about people, who on a boring Sunday have nothing to do, flick through TV channels to find something interesting. Let's think of ourselves. F1 is our passion, but many other fields of area make us indifferent. And they catch our attention if something "interesting" or out of ordinary is happening.

Let's think of ourselves, who find many other things as a bit of "meh" and wonder, how people are passionate about it, and how we understand these things. Now let's think about F1, where we are passionate. Let's think about big companies/influencing core sponsors like Santander, Philip Morris, Red Bull, etc. It is not important for them that F1 is "pure" or even "racing". They are not motor-racing companies in itself, they just try to find ways to showcase their brand. The only important thing is visibility - that if people flick through channels on Sundays, they stop on F1 coverage and notice their brands, because something "interesting" may be happening there compared to other ongoing TV shows. And this interesting may not be anything related to pure F1 racing. Random guy on the street defines "interesting" in his own different way. From tens and tens of entertainment options available on TV (s)he happens to stop on F1 coverage.

We are not talking about F1 and its future in isolation. We are talking about entertainment business in general. Red Bull and Vodafone can easily sponsor something else, who have audience and interesting entertainment. F1 needs to please the needs of them to remain "financially viable". And that's why the future of F1 is going further and further away from what we consider pure competition and racing. Inevitably.

So that's why we should get together to envisage a plan which makes the racing fun and good, while the sponsors are visible and will keep paying money to let us watch 'them' win races.

#23 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:41

If you want to have any impact on them, this needs to be a mass protest, not just a few hardcore fans moaning. So you'd need to get the media involved and reporting outrage amongst the fans instead of describing the matter as 'unpopular' or even not at all. But the media won't pick this up with a few people complaining via mail or in the article comments. They get that all the time. It would be interesting to them if the protest would reach a size that is unusual, if there's a sizeable number of fans in open disagreement.

So first, you'd need to spread the message. Facebook and other social media is pretty great as a multiplier, as the posts on the walls are public and are not only annoying and embarrassing for the owner, but can attract even more people. So don't just complain on your own Facebook, go to the pages of FIA, FOTA, the teams, the broadcasters, the race organisers. If there are sufficiently enough people complaining or calling for protest, they can hardly ignore it. And once this critical mass is reached, we could get the media questioning team principals, Bernie, Todt or whoever what the hell they were thinking, in light of a real chance of F1 alienating its fans and losing money in the end.

Now, i'm not sure whether we can reach that critical mass or whether it's just going to look like a few hardcore fans spamming Facebook and ending up getting their posts deleted. But it's the best i can think of right now. 

Edit: Oh, almost forgot: I think it's absolutely crucial to not direct the rage at FIA alone. It's the Strategy Group and the F1 Commission which unanimously agreed to those rules. That means FIA, of course, but also FOM, Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes, Red Bull Racing, Williams and Lotus. We don't know whether the FIA news was correct and it was really all of those agreeing on this, but i don't think they could have pushed through those rules if the teams were in disagreement. 

Edited by dau, 10 December 2013 - 15:00.

#24 zachary2142

zachary2142

• 245 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:45

Want to change something? Switch your TV off, stream/download races (if you have any interest left in f1) and don't give these guys your money. If the money dries up they'll change things quickly.

#25 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:50

If you want to have any impact on them, this needs to be a mass protest, not just a few hardcore fans moaning. So you'd need to get the media involved and reporting outrage amongst the fans instead of describing the matter as 'unpopular' or even not at all. But the media won't pick this up with a few people complaining via mail or in the article comments. They get that all the time. It would be interesting to them if the protest would reach a size that is unusual, if there's a sizeable number of fans in open disagreement.

So first, you'd need to spread the message. Facebook and other social media is pretty great as a multiplier, as the posts on the walls are public and are not only annoying and embarrassing, but can therefore attract even more people - but it needs to be where other fans can read it, not just your own wall. That is, the Facebook pages of FIA, FOTA, the teams, the broadcasters, the race organisers. If there are sufficiently enough people complaining or calling for protest, they can hardly ignore it. And once this critical mass is reached, we could get the media questioning team principals, Bernie, Todt or whoever what the hell they were thinking, in light of a real chance of F1 alienating its fans and losing money in the end.

Now, i'm not sure whether we can reach that critical mass or whether it's just going to look like a few hardcore fans spamming Facebook and ending up getting their posts deleted. But it's the best i can think of right now. 

>

Want to change something? Switch your TV off, stream/download races (if you have any interest left in f1) and don't give these guys your money. If the money dries up they'll change things quickly.

That's just not going to work, we have to make a little snowball which goes further and further and wrecks everything in its way. Then we'll have their attention. F.e., I'm dispromoting (is that even a word?) F1 with my friends, that the sport is broken and badly controlled with fake ontrack action etc. It's a starting point. Let's organize something, a good first FB page, which gathers fans and momentum, discussing the wrong way F1 is going right now. Okay?

#26 zachary2142

zachary2142

• 245 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:52

>

That's just not going to work, we have to make a little snowball which goes further and further and wrecks everything in its way. Then we'll have their attention. F.e., I'm dispromoting (is that even a word?) F1 with my friends, that the sport is broken and badly controlled with fake ontrack action etc. It's a starting point. Let's organize something, a good first FB page, which gathers fans and momentum, discussing the wrong way F1 is going right now. Okay?

I can agree that "dispromoting" f1 would be a good idea, but if people will keep watching anyway, it's not going to change.

#27 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:52

Jp

I see. So this is the secret plan of Bernie E to make Vettel popular.  :lol:  I am sure it has been one of his concerns that how come the leading figure of F1 is so unpopular and has few fans. Let's make rules so unbearable that people start supporting him to pull away from everyone in the championship!

#28 doc83

doc83

• 935 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:59

From BBC sport feed:

I think this has some truth but those football and cricket examples were technical changes as was DRS and the numerous other tech rule changes that F1 has been though over the last 10 years. Arguably F1 has already changed immeasurably more than either of those sports from a technical viewpoint.

Let's face it, these aren't sporting changes, they are financial changes to keep interest and viewing figures as high as possible to the end of the season. Almost a cup final.

The changes made in football didn't make one game worth more than the other or change the goal coutning so the argument is ridiciouls. It's like in the last 10 min of game a goal would count as 2. That would be the same.

+1

I think a boycott of one particular race is the only thing that would actually work.

Edited by doc83, 10 December 2013 - 15:11.

#29 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 15:04

Most of my friends stopped watching last year. These were guys who used to go to GP's and literally walking encyclopedias of the sport. Things have been failing for quite some time now and I'm glad it is being noticed. The organisers may be going about spicing it up the wrong way, but they at least realise interest is plummeting. I hope it plummets further and forces the powers that be to be proactive.

#30 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 15:06

>

Eh?

Most of my friends stopped watching last year. These were guys who used to go to GP's and literally walking encyclopedias of the sport. Things have been failing for quite some time now and I'm glad it is being noticed. The organisers may be going about spicing it up the wrong way, but they at least realise interest is plummeting. I hope it plummets further and forces the powers that be to be proactive.

Well, they tried to be proactive and look how that turned out.

#31 DrivenF1

DrivenF1

• 1,050 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 15:07

I don't think 'not doing something' will work.

At the end of the day, there are millions and millions of fans who make up the watching population. How many of these millions can we seriously convince not to watch/boycott races? By actually doing something active we can make greater change.

#32 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 15:12

Let's gather here and ask the moderators on fan pages, such as Jenson Button, Die Hard F1 Fan, F1Fanatic etc for support to gather momentum. Who is willing to take challenge on?

This is the page: F1 Fans Against Bad Plans

Edited by Jejking, 10 December 2013 - 15:12.

#33 Radoye

Radoye

• 3,368 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 15:36

1195429270821624493molumen_multicolor_po

#34 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 15:36

Facebook 'likes' that's what you need... thinking about another thread I imagine Paul di Resta has already secured an F1 drive for 2014 this way! 

#35 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 15:37

Facebook 'likes' that's what you need... thinking about another thread I imagine Paul di Resta has already secured an F1 drive for 2014 this way! 

Edited by DampMongoose, 10 December 2013 - 16:30.

#36 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,202 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 15:59

Hihiha, no thank you, let's stay serious.

What makes you think i'm not serious?
Jp

#37 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 16:12

You could become a full-time Facebook/Twitter/Forum troll, openly mocking everybody who talks about F1. But that is both annoying, a waste of time, and will probably get you banned from said venues before too long. I would therefore suggest nobody does this. :p

However, I can see three things that might make a difference (in the long run):

1) Don't give them money: don't visit races, don't purchase a subscription for pay-to-view TV, don't generate online traffic by commenting on forum-threads or website-articles related to F1.

2) Be genuinely enthusiastic about something better. Positive talk is more interesting than negative complaining. For example, we have a few great advocates of sportscar racing on these forums. Join them! :up:

3) If you desperately want to complain, it can be surprisingly effective to take your complaints directly to the advertisers. We've seen this over and over in other situations, though it probably works best in broadcasting ("I can't believe a company such as yours would advertise on a network with such a VILE AND ANTI-SOMETHINGOROTHER opinion show! I will not buy your products, and will tell my friends to do the same!"). If anyone is sensitive to public discontent, it's PR people tasked with overseeing an advertisement-campaign.

Edited by Nonesuch, 10 December 2013 - 16:13.

#38 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 16:19

Nah, that's not the way to do it, we have lifes you know :p

Point 3 is interesting, really it is :) Noted!

#39 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 16:23

We can't do this alone, we have to gather more support. I'd like to invite you to share the page on as many forums as possible in order to enlarge the group of people and get them in one place. Cult, you have a Direct Message :)

Advertisement

#40 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 16:24

Watch better motor racing series :up:

#41 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 16:36

Is there an initiation to join your secret society Jejking?

#42 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 16:42

Sadly, I don't think there is anything that knowledgeable enthusiasts can do - we are no longer the audience that the F1 circus is aimed at because there aren't enough of us. This latest grotesque spin of the downward spiral is all about attempting to make F1 more attractive to the mass-market of couch-potatoes and (presumably) relieving the Abu Dhabian sheiks of a few million more petro-dollars. By all means sign petitions and boycott Formula One and all its works, if it makes you feel better - but don't expect it to actually change anything.

When the Lotus F1 cars first appeared as mobile fag packets back in 1968 one respected commentator wrote that commercialism would be the undoing of F1 as a sport and that it would eventually "implode into its own hollowness". At the time, I thought that was hyperbole - but my God, he was right. Roll on the implosion.

#43 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 16:44

*You happen to have a link to that commentator?*

I think the same might happen here.

#44 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 17:11

2) Be genuinely enthusiastic about something better. Positive talk is more interesting than negative complaining. For example, we have a few great advocates of sportscar racing on these forums. Join them! :up:

What about Formula E? At the present moment it looks like only global (depends how global IndyCar is considered to be) open-wheel-series to have some long-term outlooks in competing with F1. Then again many people don't like silent race cars, so that is a problem too. Well, we have to make a compromise.:p

Imagine if Autosport forum changes so that next year we discuss only about Formula E here. Most threads, passionate fanboy discussion, about that. We would need quite a consensus for that and if we do it, it could get at least some attention. :p

#45 DS27

DS27

• 4,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 17:25

Call me old fashioned, but emails, twitter views, online petitions, etc seem to be generally ignored. I still find putting pen to paper gets better results in most walks of life. If you could get the buy-in of a few thousand fans to send letters to, lets say, the FIA headquarters / Autosport / other Media, amongst others, and do it in a way it gets noticed i.e. not drip fed in across months, but choose a specific date to try and get the letters to arrive within a two / three day window. That volume of correspondance will at least get noticed by someone - and stamps aren't that dear yet.

#46 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 17:25

*You happen to have a link to that commentator?*

I think the same might happen here.

It was a long time ago but I think it was either LJK Setright or Denis Jenkinson - definitely someone with a beard!

#47 Tosh

Tosh

• 411 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 17:32

Put all the creators of these "ideas" in Mosley's dungeon.

#48 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 17:52

Get over yourselves for goodness sake

This has been going on in sport for years

My rugby union team Saracens won the championship by a clear margin last year, yet lost in a play off final.

It's progress and marketing.

Yes its unfair on the dominat team, but if you cant make sweeping rule changes to allow fairer compeition, then you are left with having to make deciions like this to try and increase interest in the sport, that is waning because of the dominance of one team and one man.

Horses for courses I say.

#49 P0inters

P0inters

• 1,143 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 17:59

I think what we have come up with is to send letters of complaint anyone who has anything remotely to do with F1. The FIA , sponsors , the media , FOTA , the circuits , the teams etc.

#50 P0inters

P0inters

• 1,143 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 18:03

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/111811 Good man Seb.  :up:  Fair play.