- - - - -

Sutil confirmed at Sauber

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 14:50

Adrian Sutil has as expected been confirmed as a Sauber driver for 2014.

Bear in mind, this is the first time the Germas drives for another team than the Midland-Spyker-Force India outfit in F1..

Adrian Sutil has completed a deal to join Sauber for the 2014 Formula 1 season.

The German moves across from Force India, which has signed Nico Hulkenbergand Sergio Perez for next year.

"I am very happy that we found common ground," said Sutil.

"Although I have known for a while where I wanted to go, in the end the negotiations took a bit longer than planned. However, now I will have all the more reason to celebrate during the Christmas season.

"After six good years driving for Force India, with a lot of highlights, it's now time to embark on a new challenge. I am determined to do my part in order to have a successful future together with the Sauber F1 team."

The move marks the first time Sutil has raced for an F1 team other than what is now known as Force India.

He joined the Silverstone based squad in 2007, when it was known as Midland, after impressing it in practice outings during '06, and stayed through its Spyker period into the Force India era.

Sutil eventually lost his seat at the end of 2011, a year marred by an assault conviction following an incident in a nightclub after the Chinese Grand Prix, but he returned for '13.

The 30-year-old's best result in his 109-grand prix career is fourth place at Monza in 2009, when he also qualified on the front row.

Sauber is yet to announce its second driver for 2014.

The team has said Russian teenager Sergey Sirotkin would race subject to getting the necessary Superlicence, but AUTOSPORT understands alternatives are being considered.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/111853  :up:

Edited by Richard T, 13 December 2013 - 14:52.

Advertisement

#2 ElJefe

ElJefe

• 472 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 15:15

Sutil is a decent driver, don't get me wrong, but I feel he's had too many chances without showing anything special. I would rather have seen that his seat went to an up-and-coming star (e.g. Frijns, Vandoorne etc.) than to someone who seems destined to be an eternal midfield driver.

Edited by ElJefe, 13 December 2013 - 15:15.

#3 froggy22

froggy22

• 807 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 15:16

Don't all rush at once, guys.....

Not the most inspiring driver announcements, he's a known quantity now. I guess Sauber needed an experienced driver at least. He's capable of some good performances, maybe not on Hulk's level, but he'll fill the same role.

#4 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 15:21

If they HAVE to sign Sirotkin.. I suppose a driver like Sutil is required too

#5 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 15:39

Sutil does bring personal sponsors, doesn't he? Or has he not had them since he returned this year?

#6 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,217 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 15:41

zzzzzzzz....

Jp

#7 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 15:47

Don't all rush at once, guys.....

Not the most inspiring driver announcements, he's a known quantity now. I guess Sauber needed an experienced driver at least. He's capable of some good performances, maybe not on Hulk's level, but he'll fill the same role.

That's what it boils down to; a proven top 14 or so driver who is unlikely to light up the track but equally unlikely to be a total failure if you give him a half decent car. Seems a sensible partner for a young gun such as Nasr or Sirotkin.

#8 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,582 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 15:51

This is a good news.

Jennifer Becks in the garage for one more year!  :love:  :lol:

#9 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 312 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 15:51

I just don't get it (well, I do - money) but how on earth can a driver who got beaten by his team mate get a drive when his team mate gets thrown out of F1?

Rediculous  :mad:

#10 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 1,073 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 15:52

Sutil is a decent driver, don't get me wrong, but I feel he's had too many chances without showing anything special. I would rather have seen that his seat went to an up-and-coming star (e.g. Frijns, Vandoorne etc.) than to someone who seems destined to be an eternal midfield driver.

Cannot agree. Showing anyting special in a Force India wasn't really easy methinks.

Best chances in such teams are in the wet (Hulk in Brazil 2012....), and Sutil demonstarted he's quick under difficult conditions eg in Monaco 2008, before Kimi took him out then.

#11 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 15:54

I'd rather have di Resta remaining on F1 instead of him, but if they needed an experienced guy that brought at least a bit of cash he's clearly the right choice. The uninspiring, unexciting choice, but the right choice... still better than a potential lineup of Sirotkin/Gutiérrez.

I'm thinking that Gutiérrez is probably out of there, why would the new driver be presented first than the guy that remains, heh? It could be that they go for van der Garde like they're speculating in the Silly Season thread - much like Sutil, an uninspiring choice with a generous wallet. Not a youngster though so the need for an experienced guy like Sutil is diminished but I guess they don't trust Giedo's ability to get points which Sutil would undeniably get - not many, but some.

#12 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 15:54

That's what it boils down to; a proven top 14 or so driver who is unlikely to light up the track but equally unlikely to be a total failure if you give him a half decent car. Seems a sensible partner for a young gun such as Nasr or Sirotkin.

Don't give Sutil anything that could be used as a weapon! 

Edited by DampMongoose, 13 December 2013 - 15:58.

#13 John Player

John Player

• 600 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 16:00

Jennifer Becks confirmed at Sauber

#14 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 16:01

He's not that bad, given he finished 9th in 2011. He'll pick up a handy crop of points for the team I should think.

#15 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 16:03

Jennifer Becks confirmed at Sauber

Hey can i change the topic title?  :stoned:   :smoking:

#16 metz

metz

• 15,871 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 16:06

I just don't get it (well, I do - money) but how on earth can a driver who got beaten by his team mate get a drive when his team mate gets thrown out of F1?

Happens all the time.

I'll say it again; Talent has little to do with getting a seat.

Even top teams, where it's not a money issue, base their decision on other factors.

Did RB or McLaren select based on proven talent?

I think not.

#17 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 16:10

I think Sauber made the right choice. Sutil's current reputation is a bit on a low, since he lost out to Di Resta on points (although I'd argue that he was a bit unlucky in that he couldn't capitalize when he had the edge), but before the past 2 years he was still considered to be a potential candidate for a top team. While this is currently not the case, he is still very solid and brings the experience Sauber needs next year.

#18 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,300 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 16:13

Sutil's an unusual driver. I remember him being lauded in magazines like Autosport during his stellar debut season, but he never really came on from that. There were a few standout drives (Monaco 2008 springs to mind) but Fisi definitely had the beating of him the two seasons they spent together. That said, Sutil improved and IMO before his trial had just completed the best season of his career to date. Then this year he's been solid; nothing less, nothing more; outscored by Di Resta although I think Sutil was more impressive when the car fell away from the pace in the second half of the season. 

He has never quite blossomed into the top bracket as I thought he would after 2007. I think he's a solid, if uninspiring choice for Sauber but I'd far rather see a driver like Frijns in that car.

Edited by Spillage, 13 December 2013 - 16:13.

#19 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 16:20

:lol:

Did you 'get it' the two years when Di Resta got beaten by his team mate but still got a drive? PdR did enough on track this year to deserve a top 20 seat next year, but he's hardly the most hard done by man ever.

Advertisement

#20 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,347 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 16:29

I raise my glass to him... oh.  :well:

He's not a bad driver and probably will provide a good baseline for Sauber, but I haven't really been that wowed by him recently. He was pretty invisible this year.

#21 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 16:34

What sponsors does Sutil bring? Surely this feels like 'oh well we need a driver, let's take Sutil', for me from Sauber.

#22 Anja

Anja

• 10,314 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 16:41

For me the problem with judging Sutil is that he usually has some 2 or 3 great races in a season, but shows basically nothing in the rest of the year. In overall however I'm very unimpressed by Sauber's choice - even if we're talking money, Adrian's backing supposedly isn't very big.

#23 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 16:44

He might have suggested the team boss goes to a nightclub with him to discuss his future?

#24 Supertourer

Supertourer

• 260 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 16:50

What sponsors does Sutil bring? Surely this feels like 'oh well we need a driver, let's take Sutil', for me from Sauber.

Medion has sponsored Sutil for several years, most of the other names on the FI are either Sahara or VJM's companies, or associates thereof.

I think  Gutiérrez will appear at Marussia.

#25 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 17:04

solid choice for Sauber.

#26 Khars

Khars

• 38 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 17:27

Well, Sutil is not a bad driver for a midfield team. I'm curious, who will be his teammate.

But if its the young unproved russian rookie filled with rubels, Sauber won't be my favorite midfield team (as it was for ages).

OK, Sauber needs an experienced driver (with money) and they can have a young talent. Gutiérrez was not too bad, but will Slim support him after a rather struggling season?

#27 MattPete

MattPete

• 2,618 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 17:33

I kinda expected that Sutil would end up at Sauber.  Too bad Kobayashi doesn't have a seat.

#28 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 17:51

Have they actually confirmed Sirotkin?  It may be Sutil and Gutierrez, no?

#29 l8apex

l8apex

• 557 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 17:55

I'd rather have di Resta remaining on F1 instead of him, but if they needed an experienced guy that brought at least a bit of cash he's clearly the right choice. The uninspiring, unexciting choice, but the right choice... still better than a potential lineup of Sirotkin/Gutiérrez.

I'm thinking that Gutiérrez is probably out of there, why would the new driver be presented first than the guy that remains, heh? It could be that they go for van der Garde like they're speculating in the Silly Season thread - much like Sutil, an uninspiring choice with a generous wallet. Not a youngster though so the need for an experienced guy like Sutil is diminished but I guess they don't trust Giedo's ability to get points which Sutil would undeniably get - not many, but some.

I'm happy to see Di Resta go... no more whining.

I agree that Sutil isn't that inspiring... he has money and is reasonably good though.

#30 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,950 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 18:02

Oh well, good for him I suppose. Sauber's driver line-up for next year (should they keep Gutierrez) will be pretty underwhelming. Shame Bianchi didn't get promoted up the grid.

#31 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 18:13

Great to see him signing for Sauber... Many times running with used tyres in races instead of new ones and with messed strategies based on too long stints compared to favoured DiResta, he did a very good job this year. Now let's hope for a strong car. People in Hinwill have already showed they can do it.  :up:

#32 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,647 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 19:30

I'm tired of saying negative things about AS. So I just won't say anything at all.

It's a shame because I like Sauber as pure racers. Unless they hire Alex Rossi ( highly unlkely) as a 2nd driver I won't cheer them on any longer.

Edited by InSearchOfThe, 13 December 2013 - 19:33.

#33 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 20:12

Sutil may not be setting the F1 world on fire but at least he is a known quantity and is decent.  That's more than can be said of one of their 2013 drivers.   :p

#34 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 21:41

Sauber needs an experienced development driver, Sutil is the perfect fit.

#35 thiscocks

thiscocks

• 1,489 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 23:41

What is it with this guy, he keeps hanging around like a bad smell. And I used to think of Sauber as a team who tried to bring in fresh talent, or at least hire good drivers.

#36 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,973 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:53

What is it with this guy, he keeps hanging around like a bad smell. And I used to think of Sauber as a team who tried to bring in fresh talent, or at least hire good drivers.

Larini, Morbidelli, Fontana, Diniz, Alesi didn't look stellar in 99 either, De la Rosa?
They seem to have some years where they just have to take a solid one, or a paying one. Then rebounce.

#37 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:26

Bad day for driver announcements... Sutil at Sauber, Briscoe at Ganassi... YAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNN!!!

#38 Bocmax

Bocmax

• 18 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:07

All that needs to happen is sanity prevail, bring back Kobayashi and the midfield will look very interesting:

Hulk - Perez

Sutil - Koba

Massa - Bottas

#39 handel

handel

• 445 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:12

As others have said, it's quite handy having him in the seat as he's the defacto average driver.

So I hope they go for the Russian kid or someone a bit leftfield in the other seat because it will make for a very interesting comparison, even if technically Sutil is just making up the numbers.

Advertisement

#40 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:13

People always like to complain and every year there are various targets based on different criterias. One of those is "the most boring driver on the grid". In the past it has been in certain phases either R.Schumacher, Heidfeld, Trulli, Kovalainen, Glock, di Resta, and who else. I think Sutil has now firmly taken over the role of this "accolade".

Staying in F1 "too long", hasn't achieved anything, bland personality are the most common arguments in handing out "this accolade".

Someone has to be "the most boring" as always, so people have something to complain about. Otherwise how can you hand out the prize!

And we present to you the most boring driver on the grid of F1 2014. Aaaaaadrian Sutil!!! Welcome! 

Now let's all complain throughout the 2014 season how he should be sacked from F1 and doesn't deserve the drive.

Edited by sopa, 14 December 2013 - 09:15.

#41 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:47

People always like to complain and every year there are various targets based on different criterias. One of those is "the most boring driver on the grid". In the past it has been in certain phases either R.Schumacher, Heidfeld, Trulli, Kovalainen, Glock, di Resta, and who else. I think Sutil has now firmly taken over the role of this "accolade".

Staying in F1 "too long", hasn't achieved anything, bland personality are the most common arguments in handing out "this accolade".

Someone has to be "the most boring" as always, so people have something to complain about. Otherwise how can you hand out the prize!

And we present to you the most boring driver on the grid of F1 2014. Aaaaaadrian Sutil!!! Welcome! 

Now let's all complain throughout the 2014 season how he should be sacked from F1 and doesn't deserve the drive.

It's a slightly odd outlook; at the end of the day you could genuinely be the 10th, 12th or 15th best driver in the world but because that's not quite enough to attract a top 8 drive some people think you don't deserve a place on a grid of 22 or 24. Not every car can have a proven superstar or potential hotshoe in it, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that half a dozen seats a season are occupied by proven high quality drivers who's only crime is to have been around a while.*

*Well, in Sutil's case the other crime too :lol:

#42 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:53

This is a good news.

Jennifer Becks in the garage for one more year!  :love:  :lol:

Probably the best news of the pre-season so far. 

#43 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:38

... even if technically Sutil is just making up the numbers.

Are all the other employees of Sauber and other mid-field teams making up the numbers, or it just the drivers?

#44 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,332 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:47

Safe choice from Sauber, as expected really. He's the kind of driver you know will score between 40-50 points in a decent car and will always deliver. Nou let's wait and see who the second driver will be. I doubt it'll be Sirotkin. Think it will be between Gutierrez and Nasr then.

#45 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,392 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:34

Sutil does bring personal sponsors, doesn't he? Or has he not had them since he returned this year?

He brings little sponsorship from Medion. Judging by it's presence on the car, that's very little, maybe a $2 million per year. Not enough to make him a clear pay-driver. He also has a noticeable private sponsor Capri-Sun, but apparently, they're not official team sponsor this year (they used to be in 2011).

but Fisi definitely had the beating of him the two seasons they spent together.

I definetely disagree. They were evenly matched with Sutil having more noticeable highs IMO. They were very close in head-to-head statistics and I would rate: Monaco 2008, Japan 2008, China 2009, Germany 2009 and Europe 2009 all better than anything what Fisichella showed in Force India apart from Belgium 2009.

#46 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:49

Sutil becoming the fifth German driver for Sauber, after Frentzen, Heidfeld, Vettel and Hulkenberg. And there's Timo Glock, who was their test driver during the 2007 season, and Vietoris later on. Michael Schumacher tested their car secretly in 1997. And Jochen Mass also drove for the Le Mans team of Sauber.

#47 handel

handel

• 445 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:30

Are all the other employees of Sauber and other mid-field teams making up the numbers, or it just the drivers?

Just Sutil really. I have nothing against him but he's had his time in F1 and hasn't made it to that next level so after around 6 years it's nice to see new drivers and personalities on the grid. The same will be true of Maldonado in about 3 years if he doesn't kick on.

#48 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:54

Just Sutil really. I have nothing against him but he's had his time in F1 and hasn't made it to that next level so after around 6 years it's nice to see new drivers and personalities on the grid. The same will be true of Maldonado in about 3 years if he doesn't kick on.

So you think every seat should either have a superstar WDC contender or a kid? I struggle to see how that's practical, to be honest.

#49 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 13:29

Good for him, however this is still the least inspiring driver move of the year.

#50 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 13:36

Good for him, however this is still the least inspiring driver move of the year.

Actually I wonder, who would have been an inspiring driver choice for Sauber. Gutierrez? van der Garde? Nasr? Sirotkin? Petrov? People would complain they are all hopeless paydrivers.:D