Mercedes-AMG F1 W05

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3992 replies to this topic

#1 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 18:29

quasi C, on 13 Dec 2013 - 14:57, said:

There's a long interview with Aldo Costa in this weeks Autosprint. I'll translate a few snippets.

- Car is in production just front/rear wing and 'wheel area' remain to be finalized.

- As a general point for '14 top speeds will be higher.

- Rear wheels will be under greater stress but Pirelli is taking this into account. "we'll see".

- We consider ours to be the best driver pairing in F1.

- The new 'dashboards' will give drivers a lot more information.

- Drivers will have to take care of fuel consumption during the race.

There's a ton more in there but would probably get in trouble for further translation.

Advertisement

#2 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 18:46

Also some info from an alleged insider about the Mercedes FRIC system on the F1Technical forum.

#3 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 19:26

Thanks for that interesting read Timstr11  :up:  Just scoped about Lewis's problems and that explaination was just what i was scouting for. So as FRIC will be on next years car Lewis will have to overcome this , i think the whole driving on the limit type of style of lewis's could be the thing of the past. As the article said the front is not diving down underbraking so he can dance the back end. Thats a crucial skill of his. Moving on seems like FRIC was causing some setup issues (which a few posters touched up on) a very complex system to get consistantly right . The rake of the RB was quite an insight also  :p

#4 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 19:36

Excited about the prospects for the W05.

Thanks for the article Timstr11.

#5 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 20:16

I can't express enough how excited I am for testing. I might even put down a tenner on Lewis and Rosberg to win WDC. It could be another Brawn 2009! 

#6 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 20:39

A shame Brawn gone guys , he's gonna miss the fireworks.

#7 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 20:41

As usual with these rumours, I will believe it when I see it. In 3-4 months. Until then, they can say whatever they want.

EDIT: Not very encouraging that they don't know how Newey/RBR were able to increase rake so much.

Edited by slmk, 13 December 2013 - 20:42.

#8 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 20:45

I can't express enough how excited I am for testing. I might even put down a tenner on Lewis and Rosberg to win WDC. It could be another Brawn 2009! 

No so sure about that....Hands up those who fore-saw the Brawn being a serious contender without the benefit of hind sight??

Anyhoo,The Stuttgart silver arrowed boot boys are deffo the team to watch next year! :D

#9 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 21:01

Not very encouraging that they don't know how Newey/RBR were able to increase rake so much.

I doubt the other ten teams know aswell. 

#10 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 21:34

As usual with these rumours, I will believe it when I see it. In 3-4 months. Until then, they can say whatever they want.

EDIT: Not very encouraging that they don't know how Newey/RBR were able to increase rake so much.

It's a lot less relevant in 2014. It's a known fact that the W05 has a year of head start over any other team on the grid, especially the Red Bull. He has done the same at Honda. In-season development was top-notch this season already. They should be fighting for the WDC, easily for the WCC in 2014. So no, your pessimism is quite ill-placed, IMHO. Missing Brawn should not hinder them for a season.

No so sure about that....Hands up those who fore-saw the Brawn being a serious contender without the benefit of hind sight??

Anyhoo,The Stuttgart silver arrowed boot boys are deffo the team to watch next year! :D

No, not sure, but definitely confident. Getting the most out of a new set of regulations is something Brawn is unmatched at.

Edited by Szoelloe, 13 December 2013 - 21:35.

#11 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,915 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 21:40

Or another McLaren 2009

#12 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 22:00

It's a lot less relevant in 2014. It's a known fact that the W05 has a year of head start over any other team on the grid, especially the Red Bull. He has done the same at Honda. In-season development was top-notch this season already. They should be fighting for the WDC, easily for the WCC in 2014. So no, your pessimism is quite ill-placed, IMHO. Missing Brawn should not hinder them for a season.

I'm not so sure the head start will bring them much closer to Redbull. 

I think Redbull still have secret in their aero concept which generates high downforce but with a relatively low drag penalty...

unless Mercedes HPP outdoes Renault in the powertrain department.

#13 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 22:11

I'm not so sure the head start will bring them much closer to Redbull. 

I think Redbull still have secret in their aero concept which generates high downforce but with a relatively low drag penalty...

unless Mercedes HPP outdoes Renault in the powertrain department.

I'll be surprised if that's the case since the blown diffuser is now obsolete.

#14 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 22:14

I'll be surprised if that's the case since the blown diffuser is now obsolete.

Let's hope it turns out that Redbull had the best blown floor application. 

#15 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 22:14

coanda effect you mean 

#16 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:58

"I think it's going to be a pretty extreme case next year," Brawn told AUTOSPORT.

"I'm not looking back being worried that we did not put enough resource into 2014. Seeing where the car is now, it is pretty much on schedule. It's achieving most of the targets we wanted to achieve.

"We have been working on it for quite a long time. That's one of the advantages of having Geoff [Willis] and Aldo [Costa] on the team.

"Geoff started the '14 project, then Aldo picked it up in the middle of this year. Bob [Bell] focused a bit more on the current car to keep that progressing along.

"So I don't think we've had to make any heavy compromises in terms of keeping the programmes running well together."

#17 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,994 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 13:25

Just a quick note before I start posting on topic, I read this thread all of the last year and can I just ask we tone down the pessimism in here. Nobody likes it, it makes hard reading and everyone becomes sad.

---

Super excited about next season, there are a lot of things going our way. We have the best drivers, we should have the best car and there should be no reason why we can't win the world championship.

#18 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 13:41

No, not sure, but definitely confident. Getting the most out of a new set of regulations is something Brawn is unmatched at.

Is it?

You have the development timelines for all the teams available then?

#19 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 13:57

I don't think it has such a big head start rather no one has a big jump on them, pretty sure the project began in 2012 (maybe earlier? ) and so whilst everyone was dedicating resources to the 2014 cars from an early stage,  doubt there was anyone more so than Merc.

Advertisement

#20 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 18:02

Is it?

You have the development timelines for all the teams available then?

Of course it is. No other team had the resources to start as early as Mercedes did. While most have been whinging about too many cooks, they basically have a triple design team. What is it that you don't understand in that?

edit: Willis is already working on 2015.

Edited by Szoelloe, 15 December 2013 - 18:03.

#21 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 18:19

Of course it is. No other team had the resources to start as early as Mercedes did. While most have been whinging about too many cooks, they basically have a triple design team. What is it that you don't understand in that?

Is he? Surely there isn't much work that can be done for 2015 at the moment?

#22 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 18:46

R&D does not stop. It's ongoing, for both powertrain and chassis. Certain areas are now frozen as we're now in the build process. So the following opportunity to incorporate findings from current research will be next year. And I mean the more fundamental stuff as obviously, other findings can be applied during the season.

Edited by Timstr11, 15 December 2013 - 18:47.

#23 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 19:25

Mercedes,  - Brawn - has stated that mid-season this year.

Edited by Szoelloe, 15 December 2013 - 19:25.

#24 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 20:07

Never understood the too many cooks argument, In F1 design and development there is plenty of work to go around. Mercedes GP have some momentum finishing 2nd and i hope the w05 is the answer to stop this RBR dominance.

#25 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 20:10

Wasn't there talk the W05 was started in 2010?

#26 tmzxaar

tmzxaar

• 379 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 22:19

Wasn't there talk the W05 was started in 2010?

No way, I heard something about 2008 on another forum.

#27 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:52

I just want to see a car that can clearly fight for wins over a race distance....

Or a second clear of the field :p

#28 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 13:03

Also some info from an alleged insider about the Mercedes FRIC system on the F1Technical forum.

That poster is usually way off. He did used to post here as well, but lost all his credibility during the period MS was to leave Mercedes. The guy is just promoting his website. Massive pinch of salt recommended. 

Here's another example of his credibility going poof. From the same F1Technical thread linked above, he says on 13 Dec 2013:

and about next week's Pirelli tyre test - in Bahrain Lewis will be in car on day 1 and half a day on day 2, Nico will be taking over after that..

And just today, the official Merc Twitter announcing:

We will have @nico_rosberg driving all three days of the Pirelli test in Bahrain this week.

Edited by boldhakka, 16 December 2013 - 13:05.

#29 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 18:08

new team website:

http://www.mercedesf1.com/en/

Long overdue.

#30 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,463 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 23:11

new team website:

http://www.mercedesf1.com/en/

Long overdue.

Nice change.

Edited by Kvothe, 17 December 2013 - 23:11.

#31 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 00:33

Personally, from a navigation usability point of view, I think its terrible :-/

#32 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:26

courtesy of Plumtree from the RB9  thread

http://www.bild.de/s...16128.bild.html

BILD.de learned two important key figures will change the world champion team Red Bull to Mercedes in the coming season. Mark Ellis, Red Bull chief engineer for vehicle dynamics and Giles Wood, previously chief engineer for simulation and analysis will be hired as of June 2014 by the Silver Arrows.

Two head aero figures to McLaren, one to Williams and another two to Mercedes... 

Edited by Newbrray, 19 December 2013 - 01:27.

#33 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:19

courtesy of Plumtree from the RB9  thread

http://www.bild.de/s...16128.bild.html

autosport running with same story now too.... Niiiiceee

#34 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:40

and ESPN

http://www.espn.co.u...ory/139945.html

#35 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:45

Agreed. Mercedes' previous web site was also highly unusable and unfriendly. Also, there appears to be random design language across the site. On the main bulk news slider, numbered blog items are shaped as a parallelogram, however the other small blog-like news are shaped as oblong, leading a very exhausting viewing experience. Remember London 2012's trapezium design language, carried to each and every other small details throughout the Olympics. This is rather a premium WordPress like theme. Disappointed.

As for aggressive recruiting, they mean business. The more I see these kind of news, the more I think Lewis might have hit the jackpot.

#36 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,463 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:25

With the very public and aggressive recruitment drive that Mercedes are putting in, with everyone from Darren Heath to Martin Whitmarsh tipping them to be the next big thing, and with the massive hyping of the Mercedes powertrain, it would be nothing short of a PR disaster for this car to turn out to be lemon, fingers crossed it doesn't but........ you never know.

#37 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:30

I really like the timing of those signings,  they'll have a good understanding,  I'd expect,  of the rb10 and maybe some insight into the 11. Good move by Merc.

#38 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:52

All of the technical advances made within the team this year certainly sounds like it could be very ominous for the rest of the field.

Still, I'll take a year of Mercedes domination if it comes to it. I'll take anything, as long as it's not another cake walk for Red Bull and/or Vettel.

#39 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:32

With the very public and aggressive recruitment drive that Mercedes are putting in, with everyone from Darren Heath to Martin Whitmarsh tipping them to be the next big thing, and with the massive hyping of the Mercedes powertrain, it would be nothing short of a PR disaster for this car to turn out to be lemon, fingers crossed it doesn't but........ you never know.

This actually has me very worried 

Advertisement

#40 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:37

All of the technical advances made within the team this year certainly sounds like it could be very ominous for the rest of the field.

Still, I'll take a year of Mercedes domination if it comes to it. I'll take anything, as long as it's not another cake walk for Red Bull and/or Vettel.

So a Merc (or other team) cake walk would be fine then?

#41 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:39

This actually has me very worried 

how so ?

do you mean they could end up with "pie in their faces"

#42 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:41

Agree, it's a 'Metro' styled mess. There's no flow at all.

#43 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 14:42

how so ?

do you mean they could end up with "pie in their faces"

It has the feel of chickens being counted and plans made for how they will be cooked before they have even hatched... 

#44 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 1,131 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 14:56

It has the feel of chickens being counted and plans made for how they will be cooked before they have even hatched... 

So a team announcing the signatures for 2 engineers and a date being set for when they can leave to join them is a bad thing?

I didn't realize planning ahead was a bad thing, I guess you can add that along with the too many cooks in the kitchen myth.

#45 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 15:50

So a team announcing the signatures for 2 engineers and a date being set for when they can leave to join them is a bad thing?

I didn't realize planning ahead was a bad thing, I guess you can add that along with the too many cooks in the kitchen myth.

He is talking about the hyping of the Merc engine.

#46 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 15:55

He is talking about the hyping of the Merc engine.

The problem is that others are doing the hyping, not Mercedes.

#47 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,537 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 16:01

The problem is that others are doing the hyping, not Mercedes.

Interestingly, the engine is the one thing Mercedes hasn't hyped about! :-)

#48 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 17:18

Out of interest what is going to be the most important thing about the engines next season: driveability, power or fuel consumption? I'm not as confident about the engine as some seem, just have a gut feeling Renault will pull it out of the bag.

#49 syolase

syolase

• 225 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 17:43

Out of interest what is going to be the most important thing about the engines next season: driveability, power or fuel consumption? I'm not as confident about the engine as some seem, just have a gut feeling Renault will pull it out of the bag.

Reliability :p

#50 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 18:06

Reliability :p

Haha completely slipped my mind...