* * * * - 15 votes

Mercedes-AMG F1 W05

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4002 replies to this topic

#51 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,307 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 18:20

So a team announcing the signatures for 2 engineers and a date being set for when they can leave to join them is a bad thing?

I didn't realize planning ahead was a bad thing, I guess you can add that along with the too many cooks in the kitchen myth.

Read the thread dude, I was responding to something else.

Advertisement

#52 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 18:52

Mercedes will have the most power, Renault the easiest drivability, and Ferrari the best reliability. I have no idea which team will be the most economical on fuel though.

#53 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 1,463 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 19:15

Mercedes will have the most power, Renault the easiest drivability, and Ferrari the best reliability. I have no idea which team will be the most economical on fuel though.

and you know this because ??

#54 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 19:18

and you know this because ??

My educated guess.

#55 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 2,114 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 19:27

LOL!......Do the lottery TODAY mate! :D

Seriously...No one knows which engine manufacturer will have what exactly next year me thinks.

#56 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,120 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 13:00

Been a few articles now on Autosport with Brawn saying Merc are well placed but not hitting all objectives. Makes me wonder, what purpose is there in making those comments?  Perhaps he resents that Merc let him go but I doubt that as after all this is effectively his team still and would probably like to see them win. Or perhaps he's trying to give the impression Merc aren't all that when he knows something to the contrary? Either way two or three very similar articles with similar quotes,  maybe regurgitated but I doubt it , not sure what to make of them.

Edited by Markn93, 22 December 2013 - 13:01.

#57 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,956 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 13:09

Nothing untoward in his remarks.

If a team hits all their targets, it's very likely the targets were not ambitious enough.

He's just saying that overall, he's happy with where they are. 

#58 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,956 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 13:30

BTW, Mark Ellis from RedBull is actually returning to Brackley. He used to work there in the BAR Honda days for Geoff Willis:

http://www.linkedin....llis/13/5b6/676

#59 maxx7

maxx7

• 123 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 19:03

Are there any new news or rumors about W05?

Advertisement

#60 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 641 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:35

When is the W05 being launched?

#61 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,757 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:14

next year

#62 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:14

Check with auto motor und sports. They will probably be the first to get news about a german team.

#63 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:16

It will probably be a roll out at Jerez on the 27th of january,

#64 Wanderer

Wanderer

• 292 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 17:48

The aero is almost finished. They even developed a rain kit. 

Bb2lz_NCMAAOpam.jpg

#65 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:44

Does Paddy Lowe have any influence on the WO5? The news of him moving to Mercedes came out in January this year, so I think that would be a little late.

I think that this livery would look really cool, although obviously switch the Vodafone logo for the Petronas logo.

2csi5hw.jpg

Looks badass, but I think that they'll stick with silver.

#66 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 1,254 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 17:37

Been a few articles now on Autosport with Brawn saying Merc are well placed but not hitting all objectives. Makes me wonder, what purpose is there in making those comments?  Perhaps he resents that Merc let him go but I doubt that as after all this is effectively his team still and would probably like to see them win. Or perhaps he's trying to give the impression Merc aren't all that when he knows something to the contrary? Either way two or three very similar articles with similar quotes,  maybe regurgitated but I doubt it , not sure what to make of them.

???

One thing about Ross Brawn that i have observed over the years.. He is pretty straightforward when it comes to assessing where his team is when he is asked ... No resentment involved. 

When a team is hitting all its targets is when the goal is not set high enough.. 

Edit 

Just noticed Timstr11's reply ... hat tipped to you sir.

Edited by MaxisOne, 01 January 2014 - 17:39.

#67 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,053 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:57

I still believe in Lewis second title.

#68 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,470 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:35

Does Paddy Lowe have any influence on the WO5? The news of him moving to Mercedes came out in January this year, so I think that would be a little late.

I think that this livery would look really cool, although obviously switch the Vodafone logo for the Petronas logo.

I seem to remember some really badass looking black Mercedes in DTM about a decade ago.

#69 Guizotia

Guizotia

• 1,387 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 17:58

2csi5hw.jpg

Silver Hammer all the way.

Don't make it a black car.  Black Hammer?

Edited by Guizotia, 02 January 2014 - 17:58.

#70 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,757 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 18:14

Seriously? 2012 McLaren pics posted in this thread? Congratulations.

#71 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,520 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 18:15

I still feel pretty confident Lewis will take his second title next season, however I have thought that at the start of every season since 2008... I have a really good feeling this time though and I think Merc will provide a brilliant car for him.

#72 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 20:18

I still feel pretty confident Lewis will take his second title next season, however I have thought that at the start of every season since 2008... I have a really good feeling this time though and I think Merc will provide a brilliant car for him.

Dude even 2009  :p I remember watching the testing footage of that three wheeling mclaren my heart sank straight away mate lol anyway yes i have a good feeling about this year but us Merc/Ham/Rosberg fans will be in for a rollercoaster . So many factors are going to contribute to this , Lauda said the team with the best reliability will win. I just hope Lewis feels more at one with the W05. Everyone will be holding their cards close to the chest, only in Australia (or another season opener) Will we have a descent enough picture.  Testing will show us flashes of what's to come. Thats if it doesn't rain  :cool:

#73 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,520 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 20:31

Dude even 2009  :p I remember watching the testing footage of that three wheeling mclaren my heart sank straight away mate lol anyway yes i have a good feeling about this year but us Merc/Ham/Rosberg fans will be in for a rollercoaster . So many factors are going to contribute to this , Lauda said the team with the best reliability will win. I just hope Lewis feels more at one with the W05. Everyone will be holding their cards close to the chest, only in Australia (or another season opener) Will we have a descent enough picture.  Testing will show us flashes of what's to come. Thats if it doesn't rain  :cool:

Even 2009 mate, I was still adamant that come the first race McLaren would somehow have drastically turned it around :p 

True what you say about this year, we won't have a clue about where anyone stands until 2 or 3 races in. I always love testing and the excitement it brings and this seasons testing will be even more exciting. I'd love nothing more than to see Macca, Ferrari and Merc putting manners on RBR with Vettel finding himself running multiple seconds off the pace...

#74 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 20:32

Even 2009 mate, I was still adamant that come the first race McLaren would somehow have drastically turned it around :p

Upto Qualifying I was still had a hope they was sandbagging!

#75 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 1,463 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 20:35

Was reading the Ferrari and McLaren thread a few hours ago and some poster there with alleged inside information (rumours though) said Ferrari had come up with the best power unit package although he did say that with a caveat that things could change before testing.

to be honest won't be surprised if Ferrari comes up with a beast of an engine. They have been quite coy over the past few months

#76 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,757 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 20:49

Was reading the Ferrari and McLaren thread a few hours ago and some poster there with alleged inside information (rumours though) said Ferrari had come up with the best power unit package although he did say that with a caveat that things could change before testing.

to be honest won't be surprised if Ferrari comes up with a beast of an engine. They have been quite coy over the past few months

If it would only be an engine, I could agree to some extent(only to some extent, because turbos were not really Ferrari territory), but it's not. It is a a turbo charged engine combined with various parts and elements of ERS. Not really Ferrari hunting ground. So I don't agree for now.

Oh, yes, and fluffy's just as much an engineer as me, and I am not. :)

#77 keiichi

keiichi

• 327 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 22:58

Nobody spoke about a beast of an engine, but that Ferrari might have a better packaging solution. That could translate in an aerodynamic advantage, but I don't think it would have anything to do with the performance of the engine.

I find it curious that when that story of Merc having the most powerfull engine came out, pretty much everyone was buying into that hype, but now if anyone speaks about a possible advantage from Ferrari in that department it's nothing but a myth from an untrusthfull source.

I try to take everything with a pinch of salt, but as Ferrari is one of the works teams I find it plausible that such a thing is being reported at the moment, as I would if it was being said about Red Bull or Mercedes.

Edited by keiichi, 02 January 2014 - 22:59.

#78 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,956 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:28

Mercedes is testing F1 engine with half the car

Mercedes is testing its powertrain on a special test bench. The new V6 turbo is installed, including hybrid technology, transmission and cooling in an original chassis, which is cut off from the front axle to the front. The radiators are installed in the sidepods similar to the way they will be in the 2014 Silver Arrow. And the rear is also as narrow as it will be in reality.
Engineers can thus recognize the real object if the cooling works. According Lauda one of many new problems that lie ahead for all engineers. "We are constantly learning new things. Suddenly you have to take care of things like water pressure or intercooling. Oil and water must be in a precise temperature window. If these go beyond just a few degrees above a certain limit, it tears up everything."

http://www.auto-moto...ch-7966855.html

I wonder how they simulate air cooling?

Edited by Timstr11, 03 January 2014 - 10:31.

#79 syolase

syolase

• 209 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:31

http://www.auto-moto...ch-7966855.html

I wonder how they simulate air cooling?

I don't know, with air maybe?  :wave:

Advertisement

#80 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,956 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:48

I don't know, with air maybe?  :wave:

Thanks for your enlightening insight.

#81 syolase

syolase

• 209 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 15:58

Thanks for your enlightening insight.

You welcome.

BTW this is THE answer. You know the size of the area of the openings of the car, you just need some "air source" to point at those openings. This "new" thing that they test it with the chassis is (i think) only there for the sole purpose to try to simulate the real inner temperatures of the car on the track. I say "new" because i think every team do this one way or another, the difference this year is that the partners don't have an engine to run it on a test bench like this.

#82 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,956 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 16:14

You welcome.

BTW this is THE answer. You know the size of the area of the openings of the car, you just need some "air source" to point at those openings. This "new" thing that they test it with the chassis is (i think) only there for the sole purpose to try to simulate the real inner temperatures of the car on the track. I say "new" because i think every team do this one way or another, the difference this year is that the partners don't have an engine to run it on a test bench like this.

:lol: If only it was that simple.

I don't think it's easy to create the right airflow inside and outside the sidepod and around the chassis to closely mimic the real world situation of a car driving on track.

Often overlooked by fans but internal aerodynamics are a very tricky thing, not simple to get right.

I think they'd need a windtunnel like setup to get it right.

Edited by Timstr11, 03 January 2014 - 16:20.

#83 fluffy38

fluffy38

• 85 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 16:33

how do you simulate air cooling ? .... CFD

#84 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,956 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 16:43

how do you simulate air cooling ? .... CFD

And you know CFD is an approximation. And some may have better CFD code than others, but it's not the real thing. Too often teams have been plagued with cooling problems when they roll the car out. Despite extensive CFD work.

Edited by Timstr11, 03 January 2014 - 16:43.

#85 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,859 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 16:50

I don't think it's easy to create the right airflow inside and outside the sidepod and around the chassis to closely mimic the real world situation of a car driving on track.

Often overlooked by fans but internal aerodynamics are a very tricky thing, not simple to get right.

Amazing what can be simulated with some high quality industrial kerosine fan heaters, some rudimentary ducting, some tape and some cable ties  :smoking:

#86 syolase

syolase

• 209 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 17:37

Are you serious?!

Yeah thats called the WIND TUNNEL, what it has to do with cooling system testing? Or you think merc built another wind tunnel but renamed it "NOT a wind tunnel" so the fia allow them to use it, because its NOT a wind tunnel?

Another thing: "which is cut off from the front axle to the front." So im curious, what you think, how relevant a car is from an aero point of view without a front wing? Yeah, there goes your "I don't think it's easy to create the right airflow inside and outside the sidepod and around the chassis" theory. Its impossible to recreate it without the front wing. And they DONT want to recreate it. They just put together almost the whole car, so the parts are close together, heat each other, so you can have a real cooling test instead of testing the parts separately. Its nothing new, everybody does this.

#87 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,956 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 18:01

Are you serious?!

Yeah thats called the WIND TUNNEL, what it has to do with cooling system testing? Or you think merc built another wind tunnel but renamed it "NOT a wind tunnel" so the fia allow them to use it, because its NOT a wind tunnel?

Another thing: "which is cut off from the front axle to the front." So im curious, what you think, how relevant a car is from an aero point of view without a front wing? Yeah, there goes your "I don't think it's easy to create the right airflow inside and outside the sidepod and around the chassis" theory. Its impossible to recreate it without the front wing. And they DONT want to recreate it. They just put together almost the whole car, so the parts are close together, heat each other, so you can have a real cooling test instead of testing the parts separately. Its nothing new, everybody does this.

Calm down.

Although possible, I don't think they used their Windtunnel for this, as full size Windtunnel testing is very restricted. Only 4 days in a year I believe.

Lauda made it sound as if they have created a separate 'special test bench', hence my question about simulating cooling.

For your information: cooling has EVERYTHING to do with aerodynamics.

It's not only about keeping temperatures in check. but as much about the airflow around the parts exposed to air inside the sidepod.

#88 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 991 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 18:16

won't they have CFD data, so that they just adjust the cooling input on their super duper separate test bench to it, from the CFD they know what should go into the radiators, so they just put that into them... ans see what happens when and why?

so you mabe dont need the most important part, the front wing on that test rig.

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 03 January 2014 - 18:17.

#89 Owen

Owen

• 10,769 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 20:17

@MercedesAMGF1: @Ra8Tv5_official The car will be rolled out on 28 Jan in Jerez, first day of the test!

#90 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 20:24

Not having a "filming day" before the test like last season then?

#91 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,956 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 20:24

Good to know. However Question remains if there will be the usual shakedown at Silverstone before they depart for Jerez.

Possibly not, due to the tighter planning this year. 

#92 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 20:26

@MercedesAMGF1: @Ra8Tv5_official The car will be rolled out on 28 Jan in Jerez, first day of the test!

Cheers Owen , Hopefully the whole ' half open' garage then full website crash will be avoided.  :rotfl:

#93 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 1,463 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 21:18

Does anyone know what the driver order for testing for Mercedes is?

is it Nico first or LH or are they alternating over the 4 day

Edited by Newbrray, 07 January 2014 - 00:21.

#94 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,120 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 23:25

Good news on the back of others struggling to make jerez which, regardless of what some say about conditions is very important,  all track time is. Especially for a works team getting the best out of it's new engine. 

#95 Farhannn15

Farhannn15

• 746 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 00:11

Lewis is 29 today, he'll be 30 next year wow, starting to get a bit old now haha

#96 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 911 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:38

Lewis is 29 today, he'll be 30 next year wow, starting to get a bit old now haha

That's half way to 60!!!!!!!!  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

#97 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 515 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:46

If Lewsi is ever going to win another championship, 2014 will be the time to do it. I can see him leaving the sport happy with 2, or perhaps he wants to emulate his idol, Aryton Senna's, 3 titles. I have a sneaking suspicion that Nico Rosberg (if Merc produce a championship winning car) could push Hamilton all the way. That would be an epic fight.

In retrospect, I would actually like to see Rosberg win a title as he seems quite a nice guy.

#98 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:24

If Lewsi is ever going to win another championship, 2014 will be the time to do it. I can see him leaving the sport happy with 2, or perhaps he wants to emulate his idol, Aryton Senna's, 3 titles. I have a sneaking suspicion that Nico Rosberg (if Merc produce a championship winning car) could push Hamilton all the way. That would be an epic fight.

In retrospect, I would actually like to see Rosberg win a title as he seems quite a nice guy.

Yea i personally think he wants to get out of that " 1 title group " he wants to have abit more of a legacy. No doubt Rosberg will be pushing him all the way i think it will be even closer this year, he is problay relishing this year aswell to come out as a title threat. Shits gonna be intense 

#99 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 1,463 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:30

Yea i personally think he wants to get out of that " 1 title group " he wants to have abit more of a legacy. No doubt Rosberg will be pushing him all the way i think it will be even closer this year, he is problay relishing this year aswell to come out as a title threat. Shits gonna be intense 

Lets just hope the Merc is a decent car. never anticipated an F1 Season as much as I have this.

Will RB continue its dominance

Will Mercedes come out with a title winning car

Wil Ferrari bounce back

Will it be cosy between Kimi and Fernando

Will the new rookie at McLaren take some old scalps

Will Lotus return

Will Williams become competitive

who's power unit will be the best

am running out of fingernails!!!!!

Advertisement

#100 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:30

To relate this back to the thread theme; the question of which driver will enjoy the new car more is interesting… I think the cars will be ever more complex to set up, with even more input coming from the pits as the race progresses. Strategy will be quite fluid and car adjustments quite complicated. Which driver one thinks will be best able to cope with that I will leave up to you to say/think.