* * * * * 3 votes

Rallying - 2014 thread

• Please log in to reply
1224 replies to this topic

#51 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,811 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 21:36

Oh well, I'll try to get this a bit more rally, and not Kubica thread!

Advertisement

#52 Domi

Domi

• 116 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 21:38

I saw that video with Ogier, close one : )  This Polo's are builded from something strong for sure.... again I see Polo hiting something really hard and nothing happened :rotfl:

Edited by Domi, 16 December 2013 - 21:38.

#53 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,811 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 21:40

I saw that video with Ogier, close one : )  This Polo's are builded from something strong for sure.... again I see Polo hiting something really hard and nothing happened :rotfl:

They've built it for Latvala I guess angel_smiley007.gif

Edited by Myrvold, 16 December 2013 - 21:41.

#54 Domi

Domi

• 116 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 21:41

:lol:

This would explain all.

Edited by Domi, 16 December 2013 - 21:42.

#55 LIMAK

LIMAK

• 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 21:48

Remember Germany this year

Ogier

Latvala and Neuville

the Fiesta survived quite identic crash that forced out Latvalas Polo

#56 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,911 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 21:54

I find three things most interesting before this season: 
1. How well will RK do.
2. How well wiill the new Citroen lineup do
3. How competitive Hyundai will be.

And TBH the first one is the most interesting and hard to predict one (for me).

Anyway that will be very tough season for Robert.
I dont recall him driving at any rally with snow/ice so first 2 rounds will be massive challenge....aspecially Monte Carlo with changable conditions from clean asphal to ice.

He did drive on tarmac with snow/ice. In this rally, for example:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=y4OseUWJs0U
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ok0e2ck40Hw
There was quite a lot of snow in some parts judging by other videos. He did very well. But a WRC car in Sweden will be a totally different thing.

I'd expect him to test quite a lot before those rallies. Ogier is testing on snow quite a lot apparently:

Edited by DrProzac, 16 December 2013 - 21:59.

#57 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,884 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 22:19

Hyundai is indeed a very interesting case, I also can't wait to see, but I guess it is right to treat this year as VW's 2012, not 2013. I wish Neville shared some more of his impressions after the first tests of i20.

as for Hyundai there is another thing worth mentioning - initially, after the first videos of i20 in Korea, I was thinking why are they trying to stick their noses where they don't belong? And now, for some time already, it looks much more serious, even though we know nothing about their car. Even their PR videos are much better, it all creates a nice overall image of this team. :up:  for them and good luck.

Edited by MadYarpen, 16 December 2013 - 22:24.

#58 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,911 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 22:46

Hopefully they'll be reasonably competitive ;) The car sounds nice, BTW.

#59 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,811 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:24

Now, THIS is a lovely sound!

Advertisement

#60 zawisza

zawisza

• 565 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:48

I find three things most interesting before this season: 
1. How well will RK do.

4. Will Hirvonen thrive ?  :)

#61 Domi

Domi

• 116 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:30

Martin Prokop will contest all WRC rounds except Australia in 2014. His team will also have second Fiesta WRC for other driver for 6 rounds starting from Monte Carlo

Hmm 15-16 WRC's in Monte ? Sounds good :clap:

Edited by Domi, 17 December 2013 - 09:30.

#62 BRG

BRG

• 11,668 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 14:11

as for Hyundai there is another thing worth mentioning - initially, after the first videos of i20 in Korea, I was thinking why are they trying to stick their noses where they don't belong? 

Bear in mind that this is Hyundai's return to WRC, not a new venture.  The WRC Accents from last time were sold off and have been quite competitive in national rallying. 

It does look a lot more serious this time, though.  I would be happier if they had run a S2000 (or R5) car for a season first to get back into the swing.

#63 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,884 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 14:20

But do you really can compare these two efforts? From what I know, back then it was outsourced to some external party. And now it is a full factory effort, all is "in-house". They do come back, but what part of their team do remember accent? And how much experience can they have from it?

#64 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,082 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 14:54

I must admit, I thought that running an S2000 of some kind (even a R2/3 would be a start) to give them practice in logistics, etc on events so they could hit the ground running in 2014/5. Everything is new for them next year – there will be teething troubles, and not just on the car side. VW running the Skodas was invaluable, and got nearly all of their ‘new boy problems’ out of the way.

I doubt there is anyone from the last effort, run by MSD , involved even from Hyundai.

#65 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,389 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 16:16

I'm surprised that Evgeny Novikov still hasn't got a seat for 2014. He is still very young and quick.

#66 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,082 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 16:31

I'm surprised that Evgeny Novikov still hasn't got a seat for 2014. He is still very young and quick.

And crashes.... However, he'll have a seat - providing he coughs up the ££££££

#67 Domi

Domi

• 116 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 16:31

The problem with him is a bit wider. He is quick, but he crash too much. The problem is that he don't crash but then he is very slow. When he starting to go faster there is usually accident in the air. He can't find the right way to hold balance between being too fast and too slow.

Edited by Domi, 17 December 2013 - 16:32.

#68 Anja

Anja

• 532 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 17:02

1. How well will RK do.

With all these questions we have a very interesting season ahead. Although I think it will be a pretty straightforward championship win for Ogier again - I can't really see anyone challenging him (maybe apart from Hirvonen if things will go well).

#69 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,911 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 18:17

True, unfortunately it will be Oger's for the taking. Unless suddenly JML ups his game and provides some competition.

4. Will Hirvonen thrive ?  :)

True, also an interesting question.

#70 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,884 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 19:10

BILLIOT Jérémie @planetemarcus 14 min

#WRC @HaydenPaddon entry to Monte-Carlo 2014 with Ford Fiesta R5 and after 7 Rallyes in WRC-2 category !

Opens&Tightens @OpensTightens 10 min

@PontusTidemand getting ready for 2014! #WRC #WRC2 #FiestaR5 pic.twitter.com/QuLbxFDjqO

Would be great to see them both, even though Paddon was expecting 7 WRC rounds. I don't know if above are 100% though.

#71 EightGear

EightGear

• 417 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:41

And crashes.... However, he'll have a seat - providing he coughs up the ££££££

He ran out of money now though.

#72 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,884 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 21:27

#73 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,884 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 21:35

Guys, from what I know, eWRC is usually quite reliable. And look at the name of M-Sport team:

http://www.ewrc-resu...onte-Carlo-2014

How about this "title sponsor"? Would be mega!

#74 thuGG

thuGG

• 1,529 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 21:35

Somehow I don't like the look of Hyundai, it's too tall or something :/

#75 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,334 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 00:00

This makes modern WRC look and sound absolute shite: 

#76 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,884 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:20

It is official, Delecour will start in Monte in Fiesta WRC:

https://www.facebook...220877394668183

I hope there will be confirmation of Bouffier's start as well.

#77 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,884 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:10

:drunk: :drunk:

https://twitter.com/...0/photo/1/large

#78 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,733 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:34

Fair play to Delecour for taking the chance to have some fun, and it does generate a lot of PR interest, but it's really quite bizarre to see him having this kind of 2nd career in his 50s. What next, Sainz, Vatanen, Kankkunen all coming back? Markku Alen? Let's start the V-WRC for veterans?

I'd rather see youngsters getting the car, I know there's not a new Loeb/Ogier standing in waiting in every corner, but somehow somewhere there will be a new top driver waiting patiently for his chance. Seb's only been winning for 1 year yet it feels like the WRC desperately needs a proper close challenger for his throne.

That just looks wrong. I don't read German, are Mercedes rumoured to come in for real, or is that a mock-up by someone with a bit too much time on their hands? Or is this a slower category car? (not a WRC).

But hey, the more manufacturers the better. The Hyundai shopping car, the Toyota Yaris and the goofy Merc, bring it on, all of them.

#79 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,884 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:02

Fair play to Delecour for taking the chance to have some fun, and it does generate a lot of PR interest, but it's really quite bizarre to see him having this kind of 2nd career in his 50s. What next, Sainz, Vatanen, Kankkunen all coming back? Markku Alen? Let's start the V-WRC for veterans?

I'd rather see youngsters getting the car, I know there's not a new Loeb/Ogier standing in waiting in every corner, but somehow somewhere there will be a new top driver waiting patiently for his chance. Seb's only been winning for 1 year yet it feels like the WRC desperately needs a proper close challenger for his throne.

That just looks wrong. I don't read German, are Mercedes rumoured to come in for real, or is that a mock-up by someone with a bit too much time on their hands? Or is this a slower category car? (not a WRC).

But hey, the more manufacturers the better. The Hyundai shopping car, the Toyota Yaris and the goofy Merc, bring it on, all of them.

Well, it is not like he is stealing the car from anyone. He simply has some sponsorship I guess... If his name is more attractive for commercial companies there is nothing to be done really.

As for Merc - I have no idea, and I've never seen any rumour about their potential rally programme - so I guess it is just some "fan-art". I posted it as a curiosity. ;)

Advertisement

#80 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:15

This could end badly for the M-Sport drivers....  

#81 Domi

Domi

• 116 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:30

This could end badly for the M-Sport drivers....  

What exactly : D?

Delacour start or Bryan ?

Robert is signed to Jannerrallye as RK M-Sport WRT.  MadYarpen :wave:

Edited by Domi, 18 December 2013 - 12:41.

#82 cravenciak

cravenciak

• 223 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 13:50

:rotfl:

#83 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,884 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 14:02

Robert is signed to Jannerrallye as RK M-Sport WRT.  MadYarpen :wave:

I was first to take my words back, cheers. We have yet to see Monte entry list, BTW;)

#84 EightGear

EightGear

• 417 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 18:17

Well, it is not like he is stealing the car from anyone. He simply has some sponsorship I guess... If his name is more attractive for commercial companies there is nothing to be done really.

As for Merc - I have no idea, and I've never seen any rumour about their potential rally programme - so I guess it is just some "fan-art". I posted it as a curiosity.  ;)

It's fake: reading the first line it's about 'Cars we think are missing in WRC at the moment.' Of which this Merc is episode 1.

#85 BRG

BRG

• 11,668 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 19:52

Well, he came 4th in the ERC this year, with a 2nd and 3rd place overall, despite only doing a few rounds, so he is hardly a spent force.  Rallying has always been a sport where age is far less of an issue compared to racing.  He is very popular, especially in France, and if the young guns can't beat him, it's their problem.  

#86 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,884 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 20:25

It's fake: reading the first line it's about 'Cars we think are missing in WRC at the moment.' Of which this Merc is episode 1.

So also on this topic:

https://twitter.com/...8/photo/1/large

This one feels right :up:

#87 Anja

Anja

• 532 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 20:34

So also on this topic:

This one feels right :up:

Ypsilon? Yeah right. The new Delta is too big on the other hand. Whatever, Lancia is a dead brand anyway.

#88 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,884 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 22:34

Sordo had first taste of i20, anyone feels able to judge their pace? :p:P

#89 Domi

Domi

• 116 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:48

Nice video with Meeke testing

ps. Tanak will drive 9 rounds of WRC2 and 3 rounds of WRC in Fiesta R5 and Fiesta WRC

Edited by Domi, 19 December 2013 - 11:41.

#90 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,911 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 18:01

I wonder why aren't the M-Sport drivers testing already? We've seen videos from VW, Citroen, Hyundai..

Guys, from what I know, eWRC is usually quite reliable. And look at the name of M-Sport team:

http://www.ewrc-resu...onte-Carlo-2014

How about this "title sponsor"? Would be mega!

Uh?

So also on this topic:

This one feels right  :up:

True, but compared to the Delta Integrale, it doesn't look right.

Well, he came 4th in the ERC this year, with a 2nd and 3rd place overall, despite only doing a few rounds, so he is hardly a spent force.  Rallying has always been a sport where age is far less of an issue compared to racing.  He is very popular, especially in France, and if the young guns can't beat him, it's their problem.  

:up:

#91 Domi

Domi

• 116 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 18:29

I wonder why aren't the M-Sport drivers testing already? We've seen videos from VW, Citroen, Hyundai..

It seems 2 things. I heared Mikko contract is ending on 31 december. Second thing. Robert's gear paddle system is not yet ready. Robert will test before the end of the year Fiesta RRC before Janner from what I heared.

#92 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,911 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 19:30

Thanks for the info.

Interesting stage:

#93 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,884 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 20:02

I've seen a photo of M-Sport from Finland today, so maybe they have just started.

#94 Domi

Domi

• 116 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:33

Monte Carlo list

http://www.acm.mc/do...DE PRIORITE.pdf

#95 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,733 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:38

Not a bad list with 14 WRCs, but who the hell is Melicharek?

#96 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,884 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:25

The other guy from Prokop's team I think.

#97 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,811 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 20:24

Correct, a 36 yo guy from Slovakia, will do 6 or 7 rounds in the second Jipocar-car (O,o). Not really sure why he ain't entered for that team, as he is supposed to be able to (if fast enough) take points for the team in the team.champ.

it'll be interesting to see what times Marc Duez is able to do in the Porsche as well. I remember Delecour stating that the Porsche, on tarmac, had the potential to be as fast (and on certain stages even faster) than WRC cars.

Edited by Myrvold, 20 December 2013 - 20:27.

#98 BRG

BRG

• 11,668 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 20:38

it'll be interesting to see what times Marc Duez is able to do in the Porsche as well. I remember Delecour stating that the Porsche, on tarmac, had the potential to be as fast (and on certain stages even faster) than WRC cars.

Yes, if it is dry and ice-free, he could be very quick indeed.  Duez has been rallying Porsches for ages so he knows what he is doing. But I expect the TV coverage will ignore him sadly.

#99 Domi

Domi

• 116 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 21:04

Is there any info of possiblity a TV coverage from Monte like it was from Rallye France this year ?

Advertisement

#100 GodHimself

GodHimself

• 206 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 15:44

http://storify.com/R...lye-monte-carlo

Maybe that's only me, but... Doesn't this Hyundai look a bit heavy?