* * * * - 16 votes

Ferrari F14 T

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4048 replies to this topic

#51 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,854 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 16:43

Ferrari unveiling their engine this Thursday. Not sure if it'll mean much though.

Advertisement

#52 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,524 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 17:17

Thanks for the info on the quoting problem Sophie. :up: 

Anyways, Fry was never really in a 'design' position.  He was a technical director.

#53 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,067 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 17:50

James Allison end of term report

#54 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,927 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 19:48

Demotion for Pat Fry?

It does not say that Fry will be only the head of race engineers. Maybe that group gets included into Fry's larger portfolio.

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 17 December 2013 - 19:48.

#55 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,045 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:23

Autosprint.it breaks it down like this:

Allison - Vehicle Design [still with Tombazis as CD], R&D, Aero department.

Fry - Vehicle dynamics, Simulation, Vehicle assembly and trackside operations.

#56 LarsB

LarsB

• 61 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:45

This was dismissed both by ATM_Andy (guy from McLaren) and Irredescent (guy from Ferrari). 

Do you have a source/link for this? Thanks.

#57 caccamolle

caccamolle

• 310 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 23:50

The F 139, whatever they will call it who caree, better perform (=WIN) out of the boX AS WELL AS on the development path. Or else we lose Alonso. It would be an historic shame. He would go back to McL and get the wins he deserves there.

And btw this from a Ferrari fan first, and a FA fan third.....

#58 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 879 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:04

Ferrari unveiling their engine this Thursday. Not sure if it'll mean much though.

I means we will actually have something to talk about even if only for a short while.

#59 RedF1

RedF1

• 135 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:35

The F 139, whatever they will call it who caree, better perform (=WIN) out of the boX AS WELL AS on the development path. Or else we lose Alonso. It would be an historic shame. He would go back to McL and get the wins he deserves there.

And btw this from a Ferrari fan first, and a FA fan third.....

None of your comments makes you a Ferrari fan first...

Advertisement

#60 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,850 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:02

5.4.1 The overall weight of the power unit must be a minimum of 145 kg.

You say it's lighter than the other two. How can it be? Or you're indicating that Mercedes and Renault power units are heavier than 145 kg? How do you know that?

To be fair, that's the minimum weight of the power unit, not the engine. If the engine were lighter relative to others (no way to know now that I know of), wouldn't it possibly be an advantage in terms of ERS capacity & design?

Edited by AustinF1, 18 December 2013 - 20:21.

#61 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 384 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:28

Being lighter than required is always an advantage. Eg you can put the needed additional weight (ballast) further down to improve center of gravity.

But what are these rumours worth anyway...

#62 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,512 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 13:53

Kimi visiting Maranello

73181.jpg

#63 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,212 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 14:00

@ShellMotorsport

There's only one place to be tomorrow: here with us at the 2014 Ferrari Engine Launch!

BbxIkRdIIAEPpUk.jpg

Fresh  :up:

#64 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,524 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 14:45

I don't often agree with anything you say caccamole, but yea, I think Ferrari are definitely in a position to lose Alonso with a bad 2014 and that would be pretty tragic.  He's really been a huge part of the Ferrari being as competitive as it has been these past few years.  I fear what things would have been like without him here.  We need to hold onto him for dear life! 

#65 Pyrone89

Pyrone89

• 228 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 16:10

And exactly where would he be better of apart from Red Bull?

All the other teams have done an even shittier job if you look at the last years, with some having 1 or even half a good year (like McLaren or Mercedes) in that time-span. 

#66 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 1,797 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 17:04

Autosprint.it breaks it down like this:

Allison - Vehicle Design [still with Tombazis as CD], R&D, Aero department.

Fry - Vehicle dynamics, Simulation, Vehicle assembly and trackside operations.

This is exactly what i have been saying, Allison to design and Fry to take care of tools, a big part of process (that has to be shared with allison because R&D processes are always special) and now exploiatation side. In no way this is demotion, it's a true split up, what only is lacking here is maybe a technical TP a la brawn, because they both report to the TP, and thus there's not a single point of technical reference.

Edited by shonguiz, 18 December 2013 - 17:05.

#67 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 18:33

All the other teams have done an even shittier job if you look at the last years, with some having 1 or even half a good year (like McLaren or Mercedes) in that time-span. Hm

Hmm true but were moving into a new era of F1 and everyone's hyping about mercs engine, You Ferrari fans know that if they don't pull their finger out and have the least effective engine package out of the top teams , he's gone  :|

#68 Timothy

Timothy

• 199 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 19:05

Its only a matter time before Alonso reaps the awards for all his hard work and saving the SF from some serious blushes. An imminent departure would be a total gamble. Just imagine Ferrari having Red Bull escew (not sure how to spell the term :lol:) challenger post 2014.

#69 caccamolle

caccamolle

• 310 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 19:36

I don't often agree with anything you say caccamole, but yea, I think Ferrari are definitely in a position to lose Alonso with a bad 2014 and that would be pretty tragic.  He's really been a huge part of the Ferrari being as competitive as it has been these past few years.  I fear what things would have been like without him here.  We need to hold onto him for dear life! 

appreciate that, thanks !

I just have had a bad feeling of what has been going on between LdM and FA.  It is only a feeling based upon what transpired from the press and we all know the press is the press.  Also FA's body language was not in my view all too promising.  We shall see.  Man, what fascinating times ahead in F1!!

Edited by caccamolle, 18 December 2013 - 19:40.

#70 caccamolle

caccamolle

• 310 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 19:39

All the other teams have done an even shittier job if you look at the last years, with some having 1 or even half a good year (like McLaren or Mercedes) in that time-span. 

McLaren, Mercedes or whatever will be available and competitive then.  Things are likely to change, somewhat even though I suspect RB will likely remain the team to defeat.

#71 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,927 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 23:37

Depends, does it not? If Ferrari's 2014 is like the past years and McLaren returns to their usual level, that would be a very obvious alternative if they can put the past aside (and it looks like they can).

#72 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,524 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 00:39

Doesn't matter where Alonso would be better off.  I'm not worried about Alonso himself.  The point is that Ferrari would be far worse off without him. 

Stick Alonso in any other competitive car like the Lotus or the Mercedes and he'd be a damn ****ing nuisance for us, you can be sure of that.

Edited by Seanspeed, 19 December 2013 - 00:40.

#73 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:59

Doesn't matter where Alonso would be better off.  I'm not worried about Alonso himself.  The point is that Ferrari would be far worse off without him. 

Stick Alonso in any other competitive car like the Lotus or the Mercedes and he'd be a damn ****ing nuisance for us, you can be sure of that.

All very true. :up:

But I hope you've got this out of your system and can keep it mostly about the car in the upcoming months.  :D

#74 e34

e34

• 718 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:06

For my part, I think I can cope with a comment or two about drivers in a car thread, especially now that we know zilch about the car itself. 

Now, if you ask me about the non-stop rehearsal of "The Odd Couple" we had here two weeks ago...

#75 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 384 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:13

[...]But I hope you've got this out of your system and can keep it mostly about the car in the upcoming months. :D

Not sure what you want to say to Seanspeed.
In my eyes, and contrary to many other members, he's one of the few who most of the time seems to be able to keep it to the car in the car threads.

Again, there are others, and their arguing in car threads is mostly based on driver preferences and not on the car, and it's quite obvious when reading their posts...

Edited by FirstWatt, 19 December 2013 - 07:15.

#76 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:01

...especially now that we know zilch about the car itself. 

Yep. Hence my reference to "upcoming months". I should have been clearer. 

Not sure what you want to say to Seanspeed.
In my eyes, and contrary to many other members, he's one of the few who most of the time seems to be able to keep it to the car in the car threads.

Yep. Hence my wish that he'll lead by example once the season starts. 

Again. Hopefully we can get the schoolgirl gushing out of the way quickly. 

#77 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 934 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:03

I find myself in a very strange situation (for me :) ) of really cheering and rooting for Ferrari this year.
They are obviously nowhere near being true underdogs that I like but I cannot help wishing them to win!

Everybody is talking about the new Merc engine being the best, RedBull have always been ahead with in-season development and aero and will probably keep on doing just that. People, quite rightly, criticised Ferrari for failing to match their big expenses and ambitions with the results.
It got so bad at some point, that I was almost expecting them to fail at every upgrade or development opportunity.

I think all Ferrari fans should be very optimistic for the new season. The changes they have made and operational improvements of last year are a great base for highly successful team and as mentioned before, I want them to win against the safe bets of Merc and RBR. Ideally I would want them to fight it out against McLaren.

#78 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:13

I think there's a fair amount of pressure on Ferreri to make their 2014 a good one. When was the last time Ferrari hired two former WDCs? That's a clear statement of intent, so the car really has to deliver the goods.

Yet with such a drastic change in the regulations there's no real way to predict the form book. I'm sure the Ferrari will be fairly quick, but there's no way of knowing. Either way I'll probably take more interest in them this year.

#79 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:16

I suspect in-season development will be even more important this year than the previous years. Hopefully they can excel in this respect next year. In terms of reliability they have been second to none, so I expect that to be a huge advantage next year. 

Advertisement

#80 prty

prty

• 5,164 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:53

So Red Bull has been completely dominating these years - McLaren hire Prodromou, Mercedes sign Elils and Wood (http://www.autosport...t.php/id/111908). Did Ferrari sign anybody important from Red Bull?

If not, let's say things are being kept as usual :yawnface:

#81 apoka

apoka

• 3,569 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:27

I am waiting for the first poster to say that the engine "looks strong" after it is revealed.   ;)

#82 M2B

M2B

• 25 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:42

So Red Bull has been completely dominating these years - McLaren hire Prodromou, Mercedes sign Elils and Wood (http://www.autosport...t.php/id/111908). Did Ferrari sign anybody important from Red Bull?

If not, let's say things are being kept as usual :yawnface:

Prodromou and his deputy, Dan Fallows (aerodynamics team leader in RBR).

#83 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,524 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:50

I thought my posts were related to the car, sorry.  I was basically acknowledging that the car needs to be really good or else Alonso might be tempted by another lass with a nicer rear end. :p

#84 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,212 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 14:06

Sooo... where is the engine?

#85 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,054 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 15:15

ShellMotorsportTeam @ShellMotorsport 17m

We are here at Ferrari in Maranello today for the 2014 engine launch event. More updates coming soon #f1 #2014

BbyNPxNIgAASNHv.jpg

#86 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,212 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 15:25

Happening now

Anthony Rowlinson ‏@Rowlinson_F1R

Great nugget from #Ferrari lunch. Di Montezemolo says agreement had been reached for #Kubica to race for Scuderia. #lostchampion

ShellMotorsportTeam ‏@ShellMotorsport

Andrew Foulds, Shell Vice President Fuels Technology, discussing Shell's role in the 2014 engine development #f1 pic.twitter.com/GkojVyfx5i

#87 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,524 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 17:50

Kubica......what?  In GT or something?

#88 aray

aray

• 2,707 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 17:58

KERS for 33s/lap...that means it will run almost 1/3 of total lap time....a failure will truly be a disaster... :drunk:

#89 P0inters

P0inters

• 421 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 18:08

KERS for 33s/lap...that means it will run almost 1/3 of total lap time....a failure will truly be a disaster... :drunk:

It also means Webber picked a good time to retire.  :p

#90 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 569 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 18:10

Kubica......what?  In GT or something?

Nope it reflect to Kubica pre accident, Ferrari and Kubica reached agreement that he would partner to Alonso, but accident ruined it.

about engine http://autosprint.co...ama-0593/12241/

new engine will be named 059/3.

56 was V8

57 was frozen by regulations in 2007

58 was first project when the engine was supposed to have 4 cylinders.

Edited by ArkZ, 19 December 2013 - 18:16.

#91 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 1,007 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 18:14

Where is it???

#92 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 780 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 18:16

.... and......?

/ wait, Kubica??

#93 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 514 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 18:36

/ wait, Kubica??

Wasn't that well known story/rumor in 2010.

Edited by Miggeex, 19 December 2013 - 18:36.

#94 Aerosoul

Aerosoul

• 82 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 18:51

Any news/pics of this engine?

#95 RedF1

RedF1

• 135 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 19:00

Any news/pics of this engine?

Autosprint http://autosprint.co...ama-0593/12241/ says that the engine has been shown in a 3D-computer animation. Still, the sound was real. So no, no pictures yet.

#96 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,045 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 19:52

Good long interview with Allison over at Omnicorse.it I'm sure it'll get translated to English sometime soon. Anyway a few bits:

- Everything is now in place to compete at the top.

- We are seeing very interesting numbers [from the wind tunnel] for the 2014 car.

- Tunnel is working well but we are still doing some comparison tests not at Cologne but with the Hinwil Sauber tunnel.

Loads more at the link:

can't seem to paste the link, it's at omnicorse site though.

Oc also reports that there are 100-120 people in the power unit department. Heads are:

Luca Marmorini - Director

Mattia Binotto - Vice Director

Guido Di Paola - V6 designer

Daniele Zechetti - Turbo and fuel systems

Thierry Baritaud - ERS/KERS

Enrico Gualtieri - Reliability

David Salters - Testing

Stefano Rovera - Electronics

Edited by quasi C, 19 December 2013 - 20:17.

#97 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,512 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 20:19

73190.jpg

#98 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 1,007 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 21:24

73190.jpg

The 2014 cars do look different!

#99 vista

vista

• 539 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 21:43

According to Domenicali viewers will be able to see fuel loads and battery charge on the graphics next year.

Link (in last section about Ferrari v6 launch): http://thejudge13.co...-december-2013/

And to stay on topic I will just say that I think it is positive Ferrari doesn't show their engine to the world just yet. They are apparently very secretive about it which is a positive although we all wanted to see the powertrain today and got disappointed. Rumors are that they are using innovative and exotic materials so the weight is very low. 

Edited by vista, 19 December 2013 - 21:44.

Advertisement

#100 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 22:08

If looking at the engine means Ferrari revealing a secret to a competitor, I dont want that engine displayed ever.