Ferrari F14 T

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4048 replies to this topic

#201 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 669 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 19:23

Not yet.

Thank you for your answer. God this is a really boring winter. so boring.....

Advertisement

#202 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,970 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 23:00

Thank you for your answer. God this is a really boring winter. so boring.....

Pretty boring indeed but things are going to start picking up after the 1st of the year. Piola will come out with something soon.

#203 medeni73

medeni73

• 339 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 23:43

Our friend Iridescent mentioned last week of January as a car revealing date...

#204 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 669 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:03

Pretty boring indeed but things are going to start picking up after the 1st of the year. Piola will come out with something soon.

Hope so. Cheers!

#205 nosecone

nosecone

• 746 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 13:37

Our friend Iridescent mentioned last week of January as a car revealing date...

first test is at 28th January iirc, so not very unusual revealing date

Edited by nosecone, 28 December 2013 - 13:38.

#206 pikamoku

pikamoku

• 328 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 13:46

cars are made (build) but every team is  hiding what final solution has made to fullfill '14 regulations. So any week of silence on showing your car to other teams (and give them possible ideas or ways to develop their own car) is very important. IMO.

Honestly, Jerez test NEEDS live tv coverage. It would have massive audience  :drunk:  :clap:

Edited by pikamoku, 28 December 2013 - 13:47.

#207 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,210 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 13:57

cars are made (build) but every team is  hiding what final solution has made to fullfill '14 regulations. So any week of silence on showing your car to other teams (and give them possible ideas or ways to develop their own car) is very important. IMO.

Honestly, Jerez test NEEDS live tv coverage. It would have massive audience  :drunk:  :clap:

No it wouldn't.

#208 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,036 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 14:03

Judging by the tens of people who are willing to spend the massive sum of €20 for VIP track access at the Jerez test I don't think it it would get much of a TV audience. An online stream would be good though.

#209 pikamoku

pikamoku

• 328 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 14:19

I was just kidding mates. Just pointing that there's more expectation than usual on this pre-season

#210 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,970 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 18:09

We won't see cars in their final trim until the last two days of Bahrain or quite possibly not until Australia, the bigger teams that is. They will not want to show everything until they absolutely have to. The 1st Jerez test will be the cars in their most basic form and the first test will be all about getting the power unit and other systems ironed out. Aerodynamics and new aerodynamic packages won't make their way onto the car until the vary last days of the last test. All 3 tests will be interesting of course.

#211 f1engineer

f1engineer

• 27 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 18:12

We won't see cars in their final trim until the last two days of Bahrain or quite possibly not until Australia, the bigger teams that is. They will not want to show everything until they absolutely have to. The 1st Jerez test will be the cars in their most basic form and the first test will be all about getting the power unit and other systems ironed out. Aerodynamics and new aerodynamic packages won't make their way onto the car until the vary last days of the last test. All 3 tests will be interesting of course.

true

though i do expect most teams to run 2014 aero configurations at jerez (unless there are production issues - i.e. sauber and lotus), nearly every team except those that are cash-strapped will iterate at least once more for final test specification and once more for launch (melbourne) specification

#212 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,970 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 18:50

true

though i do expect most teams to run 2014 aero configurations at jerez (unless there are production issues - i.e. sauber and lotus), nearly every team except those that are cash-strapped will iterate at least once more for final test specification and once more for launch (melbourne) specification

Yeah for sure, I just believe it will be very basic 2014 aero and teams will work on the 1st Aerodynamic update package until as late as possible. If ever there was winter testing where lap times mean nothing, it is the upcoming tests. IMHO.

#213 f1engineer

f1engineer

• 27 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 19:21

Yeah for sure, I just believe it will be very basic 2014 aero and teams will work on the 1st Aerodynamic update package until as late as possible. If ever there was winter testing where lap times mean nothing, it is the upcoming tests. IMHO.

yes, the first test will be a mileage test for the engines, basic correlation work on the aero package and reliability for the car

the second/third tests will be primarily aero with a day or two thrown in for race/team simulations

#214 kimister

kimister

• 901 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 20:38

This says Ferrari will unveil 2014 car just before Jerez tests unusually and on 27 january there will be press conference with Raikkonen and Alonso in Madrid. Is this true or again related with spanish april fools  :p

http://www.laf1.es/n...-de-enero-92994 

#215 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,970 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 17:06

Another addition to the team in 2013 is Gavin Bonney, Aerodynamic Model Designer (former Senior Aerodynamic Model Designer), who moved from Force India to Ferrari.

#216 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,452 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 17:08

Very good video by Giorgio Piola.

http://youtu.be/kxzYqej8sFQ

#217 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 653 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 17:28

Nice video showing relative proportions.  

Can't help but to think it's a bit daft to worry about making the side impact area deeper/stronger, but then make the regs force the nose lower in the front (exposing the driver) and simultaneously encouraging a smaller frontal area to the "spear" that would impact another car. 

Not to mention the "ramp" created by the drooping nose for a tire barrier to come smash the driver in the face, or the back end of another car.  I hope I'm wrong.

#218 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,525 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 17:29

Thanks for that, Kosmos, and happy new year.

I have to say, those phallic noses seem like they could be potentially dangerous in a side collision if they pierce the tub forward of the sidepods. Hopefully, they would break off, rather than puncture the tub. Not to mention the possibility that the cars could get airborne...like that could ever happen with an open wheel car.

Plus, they are so ungainly!

Edited by PoleMan, 01 January 2014 - 17:49.

#219 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,036 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:19

Yeah it's not like they subject the noses to crash tests to ensure that they shatter, absorbing energy, rather than acting as a spear. It's not like the tub goes through all manner of side-impact tests.

Oh wait...they've been doing that for years.

Advertisement

#220 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,685 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 20:15

The tub is one thing, what about the fuel tank?

#221 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,613 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 21:27

Am I the only one who feels that all fear Ferrari for 2014?

Possibly, but who knows.

But I'm fed up hearing that Mercedes will be the best car next season (I believe this is British media talk based on Hamilton signing for them with the opinion they would be strong in 2014 and that they'll have the best engine (based on who knows what)) so I'm quite happy to come on this thread and see some optimism. 

#222 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,224 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 21:46

Thanks for that, Kosmos, and happy new year.

I have to say, those phallic noses seem like they could be potentially dangerous in a side collision if they pierce the tub forward of the sidepods. Hopefully, they would break off, rather than puncture the tub. Not to mention the possibility that the cars could get airborne...like that could ever happen with an open wheel car.

Plus, they are so ungainly!

Agree. It would be safer with a shorter nose. There's also a high chance of this nose causing punctures.

#223 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,525 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 22:50

Agree. It would be safer with a shorter nose. There's also a high chance of this nose causing punctures.

Hadn't thought of the puncture aspect, but you're absolutely right. Hopefully, none of the concerns some of us are raising become a reality, but I don't know why the working group would have created them, by design?  :well:

#224 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,036 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 22:55

Yeah that happened all the time back in the old days of low noses.  :rolleyes:

All this uninformed scaremongering about the new regulations is really off topic anyway.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 01 January 2014 - 22:56.

#225 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,224 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 00:37

This is the first low nose I've seen that is narrow, blade tipped and protrudes forward of the front wing so far. The final designs may well be no issue at all but sometimes I think these rules are written by the numbers with practical oversights and a lack of vision of how designers will interpret/bypass them and lead to the unforeseen consequences and new problems.

#226 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,093 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:02

This is the first low nose I've seen that is narrow, blade tipped and protrudes forward of the front wing so far. The final designs may well be no issue at all but sometimes I think these rules are written by the numbers with practical oversights and a lack of vision of how designers will interpret/bypass them and lead to the unforeseen consequences and new problems.

Actually I think it's the other way round, criticisms are being made by people who don't really understand the complexity of the situation, who lack the information to make an informed judgement. If you were fully involved in the process, what may seem foolish on a superficial level would most likely turn out to be sound reasoning. 

These people have consistently made the cars safer over the years, I'm certain that the possibility of the nose becoming a spear is apparent to them and has been catered for.

It's possible that they may be a little ugly but for sure they will be safer.

#227 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,224 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:53

Just like all the punctures caused by the wider front wings in the 2009-2013 era? It was an unforeseen consequence of trying to improve the racing. No one got hurt but I think it's fair comment to speculate the longer, sharper nose may have the same effect. I understand very well the logic behind lowering the nose but there's no guarantee it will make the cars safer in all situations. A lower nose may well reduce the 'spear' effect on impact and may reduce the chance of a nose top hitting a driver (in the very uncontrolled situation when an F1 car's wheels are off the ground) but who's to say it won't increase the chances of wedging a car under a barrier in an accident or increasing the chances of lifting another car up causing it to flip?

Sorry, this isn't Ferrari specific, just that the Piola animation of the F2014 was the most detailed prediction of the 2014 bodywork I've seen to date.

#228 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,210 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:59

A lower nose may well reduce the 'spear' effect on impact and may reduce the chance of a nose top hitting a driver (in the very uncontrolled situation when an F1 car's wheels are off the ground) but who's to say it won't increase the chances of wedging a car under a barrier in an accident or increasing the chances of lifting another car up causing it to flip?

The nosecone is designed to crush on impact and it is not low enough to flip another car. The other car would need to be on two wheels to achieve that and at that point the height of the nose does not really matter.

#229 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,101 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 13:42

Our "new" boy in working outfit

Bc-jWN6IEAAZ_xd.jpg

#230 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 1,477 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 14:23

I am waiting for the first poster to say that the engine "looks strong" after it is revealed.   ;)

The engine looks fast!  :cool:

#231 Man of the race

Man of the race

• 1,274 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 15:27

Bc-jWN6IEAAZ_xd.jpg

Is this with the new nose?

#232 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,053 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 15:27

For testing? No. It wouldn't. The launches perhaps....

#233 fluffy38

fluffy38

• 85 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 15:29

I dont think it would have that much audience... the fear in some of the teams is that we wont even get enough running to do any meaningful "testing"

......reliability...... :(

#234 vista

vista

• 533 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 16:13

@fluffy38

You mentioned in the Mclaren thread that rumors in your department says Ferrari has come up with the best powertrain solution. Can you say more about given there is more to say? However, it is always nice to hear good things about Ferrari tech, though it's only a rumor of course.

Are there really so many rumors going on between departments from F1 teams? Even across different countries (England - Italy)?

#235 fluffy38

fluffy38

• 85 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 16:21

Yes, there are a lot more rumors than you would imagine flying around. Lotus are releasing / have released around 60 technical people in the last few weeks, those people obviously move to other teams and stay in contact with eachother so general ideas etc get passed around.

I started in my team about 8 months ago and im probably the 5th person if you rank by longevity in our department.

It's hard to give any technical insight as we dont have much ourselves on what others are doing for confidentiality reasons. But it is believed that ferrari have come up with a neater/smaller packaging for a lot of their systems...

Obviously, it's impossible to know if they will be reliable..but word is they are in better shape then renault and merc...

#236 vista

vista

• 533 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 16:32

Yes, there are a lot more rumors than you would imagine flying around. Lotus are releasing / have released around 60 technical people in the last few weeks, those people obviously move to other teams and stay in contact with eachother so general ideas etc get passed around.

I started in my team about 8 months ago and im probably the 5th person if you rank by longevity in our department.

It's hard to give any technical insight as we dont have much ourselves on what others are doing for confidentiality reasons. But it is believed that ferrari have come up with a neater/smaller packaging for a lot of their systems...

Obviously, it's impossible to know if they will be reliable..but word is they are in better shape then renault and merc...

All right, thanks for the info. It is very interesting to hear from someone inside the F1 world. If you hear more rumors about Ferrari's car you are very welcome to post them here, I am sure we all would love to read them  :up:

Last year, there were rumors suggesting Ferrari are using 'exotic' materials to make the engine/powertrain lighter than the others. A lighter engine is probably a smaller engine as well so I hope it's true. 

#237 fluffy38

fluffy38

• 85 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 16:40

Last year, there were rumors suggesting Ferrari are using 'exotic' materials to make the engine/powertrain lighter than the others. A lighter engine is probably a smaller engine as well so I hope it's true. 

That, I have never heard but dont think it would leave their factory ... there is only so much you can spread around without getting in trouble...

#238 OSX

OSX

• 4,169 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 18:26

https://pbs.twimg.co...WN6IEAAZ_xd.jpg

I thought that was some shitty photoshop job but it appears I was wrong...

q1Eaxmu.jpg

http://formula1.ferrari.com/scuderia

#239 Panch

Panch

• 439 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 18:51

Looks fast.

Advertisement

#240 kimister

kimister

• 901 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 19:42

q1Eaxmu.jpg

But It looks as if photoshopped  :rotfl:

Edited by kimister, 02 January 2014 - 20:00.

#241 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 19:46

But It looks as if photoshoppped  :rotfl:

:lol: it really does anyway is UPS a new sponsor this year.

Edited by ZionLH, 02 January 2014 - 19:47.

#242 discover23

discover23

• 3,483 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 19:50

they had UPS last year also.

#243 P0inters

P0inters

• 412 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 19:52

They joined at the start of last year I think.

#244 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 141 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 19:59

q1Eaxmu.jpg

Hum..just guessing...if you look at those colors you'll see some black tints on the side and on black stripes on the shoulder. 
Maybe the new car will also feature more black on the body?

Something like that would be fantastic imho

Ferrari_F92A_Alesi_1992.jpg

Edited by thegamer23, 02 January 2014 - 20:01.

#245 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 20:04

they had UPS last year also.

Whoops sorry guys  :p silly me.

#246 Maikel0230

Maikel0230

• 108 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 20:06

Yeah, he is definitely wearing the new team gear for 2014 and yes, those stripes give a man hope for a bit more black. Hope it's true because that would be totally awesome.

also love the bio they added: "Official Scuderia Ferrari driver", because that is all you need to know :rotfl:

Edited by Maikel0230, 02 January 2014 - 20:09.

#247 P0inters

P0inters

• 412 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 20:10

q1Eaxmu.jpg

At first I thought there wasn't much difference but :

Fernando+Alonso+Previews+F1+Grand+Prix+M

I'd love some black.

#248 OSX

OSX

• 4,169 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 20:13

But It looks as if photoshopped  :rotfl:

Well, each and every corporate photo is photoshopped to some degree but apart for the somewhat fuzzy looking armpit area it looks like the real thing.

#249 beute

beute

• 1,179 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 20:36

New livery?with more black? yes please.

Recently driver changes also coincidentally meant livery changes. (@ferrari)

red wings in Kimi's first stint and back to white wings with Alonso.

Please make them black this time  :love:

#250 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 966 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 20:44

Looking forward to seeing the new gear, helmets etc.

Its beginning to pick up!!!