- - - - -

Baldwin/Motion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,024 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 18:11

I am putting this here as the nostagia section has become Brits talking cars with names like the fluff bowl special etc.  alc.gif

I bought a book for my cousin for Christmas, this cousin is as mechanically inept as they come but he likes cars.

It is titled  TALES OF A MOTION PERFORMANCE MUSCLE CAR BUILDER.

A most amazing book that filled in a LOT of gaps for me. Back in the late sixties-- early seventies-- when I was a teenage sponge absorbing car news, true and false, I read CARS magazine, on occaison, which hyped the Baldwin-Motion cars continually, well now I know that Marty Schorr the editor was also a driving force behind the Baldwin-Motion setup.

It used to annoy me greatly that unlike Dana, Yenko and others B-M did not go road racing, well this book explains that as B-M had a money back guarantee to perform certain numbers in the quarter mile or you got your money back, if so desired.

Baldwin-Motion factory cars also set, repeatedly, drag racing records and won championships.

Bill Mitchell, now of Merlin/World engine components, was an employee of Motion, (Baldwin and Motion built cars together but were two separage companies, about one-half mile apart. You could get a Baldwin-Motion or a Motion car.)

Mr. Magoo, did you ever get up New York way and speak with Schorr or Rosen?

I did not know that unlike other modifiers theirs were not COPO cars but strictly cars ordered and then modified.

Rosen had a one on one relationship with Chevrolet and Zora Duntov, Mr. Corvette.

Big surprize was Rosen really made his name with a Shelby Cobra.

His relation with Shelby was good to the point that he had a direct connection just as Shelby dealers did.

Amazing how being young and ignorant I missed so much even as I was consumed by gear-headedness as a yout. :smoking:

Here is Schorr's website:  http://www.carguychronicles.com/

Edited by Bob Riebe, 17 December 2013 - 18:57.

Advertisement

#2 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,648 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 23:46

Wasn't Baldwin the creme de la creme of  Chevrolet muscle cars?  ZL-1 Camaros, Novas,  Vetts, Chevelles and the like? The aluminum 427 '69 Z28 was my dream car back in the day, Your cousin should enjoy the gift.

#3 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,722 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:05

Small world. Martyn Shorr is a good friend, though I didn't know really know him in his Cars magazine and Baldwin/Motion days. He lives in Florida now and loves his 2005 Ford GT. He still gets around to a few car shows and is doing some kind of new program with Rosen with current model Camaros I don't know much about.  

Edited by Magoo, 18 December 2013 - 02:05.