Photo

Historic Sandown 2013 images

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Speedy27

Speedy27

• 245 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 14:18

For anyone with an interest in the thriving scene of Australian historic motorsport, some of my images from the recent Historic Sandown 2013 can be seen here :

http://www.flickr.co...57638272181703/

Hovering the mouse over "see more" will show you the sequence of images and a results link for identification where needed.

Enjoy! 

Advertisement

#2 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,665 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 00:18

What was that meeting ,sports sedans,MGs,regularity ,old V8 supercars.....more like a State series.

#3 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 1,038 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 00:31

Hi Speedy27

Thank you very much for posting your excellent photos of the Sandown Histoic's, they are great.

Mouserat 159

For anyone with an interest in the thriving scene of Australian historic motorsport, some of my images from the recent Historic Sandown 2013 can be seen here :

http://www.flickr.co...57638272181703/

Hovering the mouse over "see more" will show you the sequence of images and a results link for identification where needed.

Enjoy!

#4 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:12

What was that meeting ,sports sedans,MGs,regularity ,old V8 supercars.....more like a State series.

My thoughts too, that while watching Natsoft on the actual weekend.
Regularity though will be part of historic meetings, they are numeric and seldom cause problems [crashes and the like] so are a good money earner for the promoter. That is providing they keep the elegibility to older cars.
Speedy, they are great pics though.

#5 Speedy27

Speedy27

• 245 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:23

Thanks for taking the time to enjoy the pics.

The Sports Sedans have been a regular support act for this event over the years. I only assume that they keep appearing because they are popular - certainly my favourite contemporary local racing category by far!

The recent inclusion of the V8 tourers, while no doubt and understandably controversial in certain quarters, is - in my opinion - an inspired move. Historic racing needs to evolve with the times in order to attract the next generation of followers. This category is not recognized as historic currently, but have appeared at Winton and then again at Sandown as a 'demonstration'. They seem to have a very keen following, judging by their social media activities, so to me if this brings more people through the gates at historic meetings, that can only be a good thing.

#6 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 23:08

Great pics Peter...many thanks :up:

#7 mymemoryfails

mymemoryfails

• 298 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:54

My thoughts too, that while watching Natsoft on the actual weekend.
Regularity though will be part of historic meetings, they are numeric and seldom cause problems [crashes and the like] so are a good money earner for the promoter. That is providing they keep the elegibility to older cars.
Speedy, they are great pics though.

I love the irony of your assessment of historic appropriateness based on NATSOFT Lee..

mymemoryfails

#8 mymemoryfails

mymemoryfails

• 298 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:03

Well I'm not sure of what everyone thinks  (or knows) what historic is , but with exception of v8 supercars,and a few odd examples here and there, most of the cars you've mentioned were running around in the seventies. That's forty years ago approx.

The meeting had a good feel, sure there are compromises - in the name of viability I guess, but they seemed like pretty old "historic" cars representing an era long past to me.

And on the supercar class; If you think of a young person of driving age now - well when the newest of this 5.0 litre touring cars ran (2002) he would have been 7 years old.. What's historic mean to him/her?

cheers

mymemoryfails

#9 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,665 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:12

Well I'm not sure of what everyone thinks  (or knows) what historic is , but with exception of v8 supercars,and a few odd examples here and there, most of the cars you've mentioned were running around in the seventies. That's forty years ago approx.

The meeting had a good feel, sure there are compromises - in the name of viability I guess, but they seemed like pretty old "historic" cars representing an era long past to me.

And on the supercar class; If you think of a young person of driving age now - well when the newest of this 5.0 litre touring cars ran (2002) he would have been 7 years old.. What's historic mean to him/her?

cheers

mymemoryfails

What all those Sports sedans and MGs were running around in the 70s?

#10 mymemoryfails

mymemoryfails

• 298 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:45

What all those Sports sedans and MGs were running around in the 70s?

no certainly not all. There were quite modern mgs,  but midgets and mgbs that sort of stuff

I know there was stuff that was way new, but the overall feel I considered old. I thought a reasonable compromise if it's viable. .

cheers

mymemoryfails

#11 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:08

I love the irony of your assessment of historic appropriateness based on NATSOFT Lee..

mymemoryfails

Natsoft says the type of vehicle. And I still have a fair idea of who drives what in many categorys.
So no current Sports Sedans or level 3 Thupercars are not historic. They are current.
Regularity is regularity. And MGBs and the like are old enough to be historic by a long way.
GpC and Gp A Tourers are historic too, as is F5000 and F Mondial.
So the 70s and 80s cars have historic categorys and actually have for quite a while

Edit, there was ONE historic Gp U sports Sedan. Simon Pfitzners ex Barry Bray/ Bill Emeny Stanza. Though It is not quite historic as it is using Barrys engine from the Gazelle.
There was a couple of 'historic' drivers though. Barney Newbound and Bob Gill have been around for quite a few decades, as I guess has Stephen Craig too. And the Gemeni is probably elegible for Gp U too

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 22 December 2013 - 06:20.