Recording and watching all 2014 races

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 TravelGolf

TravelGolf

• 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 15:48

Hi

I used to post here a decade ago - cant remember my older user name, but my how the forum has  grown! 

Now I wanted to get tips and ideas from  people about my 2014  plan for F1. The plan is to record all the 2014 qualifying and races and watch everything next year in December. 

Next year, I would be doing lots of traveling, writing and playing golf in many countries around the world so thought this would be a good chance to do something I always wanted to do and actually make a habit of and that's watching all the races in one go.

Firstly, the plan is to get someone to record the races

Pay them for the effort - say about $50 for each race/qualification 

Block my most visited sites on my laptop i.e BBC

I actually experimented with this in 2013 and easily managed  to  record the first 4 races of the year without finding out the results and I did this while living and working in London and  commuting on the tube daily. I gave in because the new girl I was dating was an F1 fan and I thought it would be better if we both watched together.

It would be fun watching all 20 races in one go  after coming back from my travels around the world.  I'd be recording some other sports events too - All the Golf majors, the world cup and a  few boxing fights. 

I think it would be make a very exciting December 201 for me. :)

Thoughts?

p.s I know I am mad - but I have never been the sort of conventional person so  save your abuse for someone  else  :wave:

Advertisement

#2 molpid

molpid

• 366 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 16:00

50$  / session :o You sure about that ? :)

#3 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 16:09

Go for it. :)

#4 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,529 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 16:21

Good idea, although I don't know if I could wait a whole year without F1.

#5 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 16:24

Am i having a deja vu or did we have a thread like this last year around this time?

Edit: Nope, there it is:

http://forums.autosp...-of-the-season/

Edited by dau, 19 December 2013 - 16:26.

#6 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,587 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 16:25

Wow, I totally wouldn't be able to wait until December for know who's the world champion !  :lol:

And to be honest I think that the spoiler risk is always behind the corner... people talking about it and you hear it indirectly, somebody in the train with Autosport or another racing/sport magazine/newspaper, TV shops showing some highlights... there's a long long list of risks lol !

Plus... 50 dollars for each quali and race ? That's 1900 dollars at the end of the year !  :eek:

#7 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 16:27

I'm sure this would be interesting if you could possibly do it without knowing who the champion is. And well, now that I think about it, I'm sure it's possible. I rarely hear any F1 news accidentally, instead I get almost all of it from few select sites on the Internet.

Nice idea for an experiment for sure.

#8 John Player

John Player

• 600 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 16:30

It's a cool idea but i would never do that, the spoiler risk is just too high for me.

#9 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 16:37

It's a cool idea but i would never do that, the spoiler risk is just too high for me.

Yep, I think if I decided to dedicate a year living in Amazon forest together with tribal people, then yeah it could work out and after "coming back into society" it would be fun to discover, what all has not only happened in F1 in one year, but in the society as a whole. :D

But as long as I live in modern society, I don't feel bothered to protect myself from information. Unnecessary effort into caution.

#10 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,776 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 17:01

Am i having a deja vu or did we have a thread like this last year around this time?

Have they come back to us with the results or do you think they'd been driven to suicidal behaviour by the Abu Dhabi stage?

Edited by Risil, 19 December 2013 - 17:02.

#11 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 1,824 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 17:08

I've thought about this, because often times it seems like my schedule doesn't allow me to fully soak in the races as I would like.  The problem is that Comcast and NBCSports has made it basically impossible to record the races here in the States.  Otherwise, it would be easy here since you never see anything about F1.

Another problem is the "Battlestar Galactica Mainlining Syndrome", whereby ... you can't... just.... not... watch...... another....    and then, it's a week later, you haven't slept in days, lost your job, etc...

Every other week works good.

#12 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,527 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 19:22

I seem to remember the last time you suggested this, or was that someone else?

You found a girlfriend who likes F1? Don't ever let her go   ;)

Anyway best of luck to you, but I don't see it as being possible.

#13 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 20:02

I think this thread sums it up nicely. If you are truly interested in F1 and also have a social circle that consists of people, who also follow F1, then desperately avoiding F1 for a whole year actually hurts social life, not enhances it. And basically this means avoiding following media, because even general media/newspapers can have an odd F1 snippet as a headline if something exciting happened. Now completely avoiding to follow things that go on in the world might even harm professional life, depending on what you do. You can always take a decision to follow F1 less and have more of other kind of life. Still gives you flexibility - you can live a normal life and not avoid any news- and discussion-related stuff, even if you are not bothered to go deep into it.

I think an extreme way of taking (any) things is always the hardest of all and in the end does not fulfill the initial goal that was set. 

Edited by sopa, 19 December 2013 - 20:05.

#14 TravelGolf

TravelGolf

• 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 20:25

50$  / session :o You sure about that ? :)

Each session includes race and Quali - I worked out it comes  to $1000 for the year. 

Go for it. :)

I certainly will :) Excited about the thought - 

Good idea, although I don't know if I could wait a whole year without F1.

You could if you were traveling around the world partying and having fun. (Not saying you are not) But lets just say we are media victims. 

Wow, I totally wouldn't be able to wait until December for know who's the world champion !  :lol:

And to be honest I think that the spoiler risk is always behind the corner... people talking about it and you hear it indirectly, somebody in the train with Autosport or another racing/sport magazine/newspaper, TV shops showing some highlights... there's a long long list of risks lol !

Plus... 50 dollars for each quali and race ? That's 1900 dollars at the end of the year !  :eek:

Thinking about it, when was the last time you heard someone talk about F1? Chances are low. They secret is cut media out sunday and monday pre and post race week and you are safe. I did it 4 races and hardly noticed a thing. Btw - its $50 for race and quali. I am not that crazy and rich  :lol:

I'm sure this would be interesting if you could possibly do it without knowing who the champion is. And well, now that I think about it, I'm sure it's possible. I rarely hear any F1 news accidentally, instead I get almost all of it from few select sites on the Internet.

Nice idea for an experiment for sure.

Yes and when you consider I would be in some places with no internet connection. It would be a lot easier. O. T -  I have always wanted to get away from the computer screen - for long periods. of time. I think very few people in our society can say they have done this.  First thing for the day?  Log on last thing log off.  :(   

I agree it can be high but I think one has to plan well in advance. 

#15 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 20:29

I don't exactly know, what kind of life you live that you claim you can easily avoid all those news. As you said, you easily avoided for 4 races.

However, I wonder, how can you be sure of avoiding stuff by travelling. I once saw F1 news on TV screens at the airport!

#16 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 20:32

What do you mean spoilers ..... we all know SV is going to win anyway

#17 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 20:42

What do you mean spoilers ..... we all know SV is going to win anyway

I see in this thread it was proposed to watch all 20 races in one go. Imagine yourself waking up in the morning at 8 am and then watching the end-of-the-season Vettel 9-consecutive-win procession races in a row till midnight. I think if I did this I would hate F1 so much I'd never want to see it again.  :lol:

#18 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 20:48

If you can do it mate got for it! I'd be going crazy come December though and I am not sure how you could go the entire season without hearing about the results?

#19 Kobasmashi

Kobasmashi

• 734 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 21:27

$50 per weekend is a wedge! Couldn't you get a mate to do it for free/$50 for the whole season?

Advertisement

#20 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 22:24

I will happily download the sky coverage after each weekend for $950! I will even throw in a free external HD with all of them on it

#21 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 23:17

I will happily download the sky coverage after each weekend for $950! I will even throw in a free external HD with all of them on it

:rotfl: I will do it for 500 Euro, plus two HDD, by the way in Germany you could record (legal) TV shows (even the british BBC) over the internet for free. There is for sure something like that for english users. I do it all the time when I am not at home, and watch the race afterwards, because I have no physical recorder at home.

#22 evo

evo

• 431 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 23:35

Just remember to write down your password to whatever site/forum you're going to get your recordings from. 1 year of golfing and partying will not help you remember your passwords that well!

#23 tomisumi

tomisumi

• 251 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 23:44

lol from certain sites you can get any session in HD (Sky or BBC)...

#24 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:17

I do that for TV series, like The Big Bang Theory, watching a season or half-season in one go. That was quite pretty, but then again, spoiler risk too low for my effort. In your case, you should disconnect yourself from F1 news circle completely, perhaps never read paper on Mondays. I don't know, it doesn't seem that reward is worthed the effort.

#25 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:33

Great now we have folk ripping off year old threads. 

Anyway my advice this year would be: go for it. Record them all and watch them all back but remember to watch Abu Dhabi twice. 

#26 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,642 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:27

Every race is posted on usenet in about every language from any broadcaster. Look at your ISP if they support it or use a payserver with high retention (~7 euro/month). In the Netherlands downloading is legal, only distributing it is not.

And I would rather die than watch every 2013 session and race in one go. ;)

#27 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,247 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:23

(pay no attention to that spurious post above)

Nigerian Steaming Club is happy to offer YOU TravelGolf, their Enforced BlackOut Discount.
You can have any and all sessions you'd like, at any time you wish.

Just send us your bank sort code,routing number and the races will come flooding in.

Also..If you are in the area please come by our luxurious Ikeja Golf Club

Jp

#28 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:30

Good luck if you do it, but you would be amazed where F1 can pop up. I was in Iran this year, and planned to watch the Japanese GP when i got home - I caught an internal flight on Iran Air, was given the only English-speaking newspaper (a week after the race, I might add), and it had a lot of anti American-stuff on the front. Then I flicked through the pages and lo and behold there was a full-page spread analysing Vettel's greatness after his Japanese GP win. Oops. 

And annoyingly that was one of his more unpredictable wins this year.