* * - - - 6 votes

Luca di Montezemolo's Christmas speech re: Kimi Raikkonen

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#1 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:48

Yes, it is clear now that Kimi was hired to support Alonso.Alonso still is Ferrarin number one driver.Atleast now we know the truth,no need to quess anymore.

Advertisement

#2 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:52

Do you have a link to those comments?

#3 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:54

Do you have a link to those comments?

I have the link but its Finnish,still want it?http://yle.fi/urheil...n_apuri/6996132

Sport Bild is the original source.

Edited by jedioriginal, 20 December 2013 - 12:58.

#4 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:00

Ok thx, appreciated :up:

Edited by Jovanotti, 20 December 2013 - 13:00.

#5 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:00

I have the link but its Finnish,still want it?http://yle.fi/urheil...n_apuri/6996132

I don't think Kimi would agree to something like this on paper. Could also be that Monte sensed McLaren sniffing at the possibility of luring Fernando away, so this is a way to appease him. 

#6 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:07

I don't think Kimi would agree to something like this on paper. Could also be that Monte sensed McLaren sniffing at the possibility of luring Fernando away, so this is a way to appease him.

It really doesnt mean anything is it on paper or not. If they really hired him to support Alonso,there is like million ways to prefer Alonso.

Edited by jedioriginal, 20 December 2013 - 13:09.

#7 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 588 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:11

It really doesnt mean anything is it on paper or not. If they really hired him to support Alonso,there is like million ways to prefer Alonso.

If it's on the paper like Kimi wanted (equal treatment), and something like this happens, I'm sure he can walk away with quite a nice bag of money whenever he feels like it.

Edit: Just look at the previous deals Robertson's have done. I'm pretty sure that Ferrari has pretty much hands tied on this matter (can't do anything against Kimi without it being a deal braker) until Kimi has lost his chances to championship.

Edit 2: Just said these things to say that there should be nothing to worry about for the fans of Kimi and if some bad luck happens to him in the early season, there's no need for any stupid theories.  :)

Edited by Miggeex, 20 December 2013 - 13:17.

#8 Iranie

Iranie

• 142 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:13

Yeah. It's just this usual bullshit. Who supports who will be decided at the season's midpoint. If Kimi is up to beat Alonso, so be it. I think that inside the team a lot of people are pleased that Kimi is joining the team and even more pleased if somewhat controversial Alonso gets beaten in a fair fight. There is awful lot of this utter nonsense around Alonso, when it comes to Monte. In my opinion these are just words, nothing serious. Fair play, best man wins. That will be the name of the game in Austrialia 2014 or otherwise Kimi says "Goodbye!". Ferrari doesn't want that.

What comes to the Kimi's race engineer, it's great that he has been chassis engineer for a long time. That knowledge will be important, as we have seen with Stella who was also chassis engineer before his successful days as a race engineer.

Edited by Iranie, 20 December 2013 - 13:14.

#9 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:21

Can someone please post the "quotes" from LdM? The immediate attempts to denounce or reinterpret his "true meaning" will only make it more confusing for the non-Finnish speakers to understand what he actually said.

Thanks!

Edited by PoleMan, 20 December 2013 - 13:22.

#10 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:22

Can someone please post the "quotes" from LdM? The immediate attempts to denounce or reinterpret his "true meaning" will only make it more confusing for the non-Finnish speakers to understand what he actually said.

Thanks!

In German: http://www.motorspor...i-13122002.html

#11 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:26

Thanks!

Very good point. 

This seems less like he's saying "Kimi is number 2" and more like he's justifying how Kimi will be better than Massa. But someone who speaks German can clarify. 

#12 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,273 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:31

Translation..

Y'all are screwed

Jp

#13 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:36

In this Yle article Monte says.We hired Kimi cos' he is on later part of his career, but he is fast,specially in races,should be able to take points of from Alonso's opponents.

Edited by jedioriginal, 20 December 2013 - 13:37.

#14 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,564 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:47

Montezemolo says that Kimi has been hired to support Alonso. i didn´t see that coming neither did Kimi I suppose. Sparks will fly next season if this is the situtation

http://sportbild.bil...mit-vettel.html

Drittes Machtwort: Räikkönen ist die Nummer zwei. Der Finne soll Alonsos Gegnern Punkte wegnehmen! Offensichtlich sieht der Ferrari-Boss in Neuverpflichtung Kimi Räikkönen keinen WM-Kandidaten. „Kimi haben wir geholt“, so Montezemolo, „weil wir einen schnellen Fahrer mit viel Erfahrung wollten. Er weiß, dass er in der zweiten Hälfte seiner Karriere ist. Er ist besonders im Rennen sehr stark und kann dort Fernandos Gegnern Punkte wegnehmen.“ Montezemolo eindeutig: „Kimis Präsenz wird wichtig sein, damit Fernando nicht allein gelassen wird bei seinem Kampf um vordere Ränge und wichtige Punkte.“

Edited by motorhead, 20 December 2013 - 13:49.

#15 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:51

Well as already was stated above, Kimi wouldnt sign a deal where it clearly states that he would be number-2 driver.....For me it seems more like Luca Di Montezemolo believes Alonso to be stronger driver and that he doesnt exactly believe in Kimi's chances to beat the Spaniard. You have to remember those rumors and news before Kimi was hired back to Ferrari....according to them the only person opposing Kimi's return was Montezemolo himself, it took lot of convincing from Dominicali and other Ferrari staff to get Montezemolo to support Kimi's return...and ofcourse Montezemolo wants the constructor's championship above all else....I mean even if there was some arguments between Alonso and Montezemolo during last season, I still think they have closer relationship than between Monte and Kimi....more often than not you hear that kind of negative tone in Monte's voice when he talks about Kimi, even if he is Ferrari's latest champion.

So all in all I see this only as Montezemolo's opinion that Alonso is the stronger driver, that he clearly believes that by the half of the season Kimi is so far behind the points that he is forced to play supporting role,  but In the end I dont think he cares which driver wins, as long as Ferrari wins.

Edited by Balnazzard, 20 December 2013 - 13:53.

#16 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:52

"Er weiß, dass er in der zweiten Hälfte seiner Karriere ist. Er ist besonders im Rennen sehr stark und kann dort Fernandos Gegnern Punkte wegnehmen", so der Präsident. Genau jene Eigenschaft hat man bei Felipe Massa zuletzt vermisst: Der Brasilianer war kaum in der Lage, der Konkurrenz von Alonso wichtige Punkte zu klauen. Beim "Iceman" verspricht man sich hingegen mehr: "Kimis Präsenz wird wichtig sein, damit Fernando nicht allein gelassen wird bei seinem Kampf um vordere Ränge und wichtige Punkte."

"He knows, he's in the autumn of his career [talking about RAI]. He's particularly strong in the races and can take away points from fernando's opponents."

"Kimi's presence'll be important to help alonso in his fight for places at the very front and for important/crucial points".

Edited by Radion, 20 December 2013 - 13:56.

#17 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:57

This is what Google translate says in English:

Räikkönen is the number two. The Finn is Alonso's opponents take away points! Obviously sees the Ferrari boss in new signing Kimi Raikkonen no World Championship Candidates. "Kimi have we got," said Montezemolo, "because we wanted a fast driver with lots of experience. He knows that he is in the second half of his career. It is especially in the race very strong and can take Fernando's opponents points there, "Montezemolo clear:". Kimi's presence will be important so that Fernando is not left alone in his fight to front ranks and important points. "

Edited by RubalSher, 20 December 2013 - 13:59.

#18 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:58

"He knows, he's in the autumn of his career [talking about RAI]. He's particularly fast in the races and can take away points off of fernando's opponents."
"Kimi's presence'll be important to help alonso in his fight for places at the very front and for important/crucial points".

I really don't know any clearer way to say Kimi is there to support Alonso without saying it straight...Now its on TS too,Heikki Kulta is writing about this too and he is not using Sport Bild as a source.

#19 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:02

Can someone translate that? Google does a terrible job.

Advertisement

#20 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,564 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:04

Can someone translate that? Google does a terrible job.

Basically Monte said that Kimi is hired to take points from Alonso´s opponents and support Alonso´s championship fight. He also said that Kimi is in in "second half" of his career...

#21 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,176 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:07

Räikkönen is the number two. The Finn is here to take points away from Alonso's opponents! Obviously, Ferrari boss does not see a World Championship candidate in new recruit Kimi Räikkönen. "We hired Kimi," said Montezemolo, "because we wanted a quick driver with a lot of experience. He knows that he is in the second half of his career. He's particularly good in race trim and can take points away from Alonso's opponents there." Montezemolo clarifies: "Kimi's presence will be important so that Fernando is not left alone in his fight for top spots and important points."

Edited by Jerem, 20 December 2013 - 14:07.

#22 Gasp

Gasp

• 127 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:08

Kimi will never settle for 2nd. He didn`t make that kind of contract and never will. Montezemolo must be dreaming.. :rotfl: :drunk:

#23 Gasp

Gasp

• 127 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:10

Basically Monte said that Kimi is hired to take points from Alonso´s opponents and support Alonso´s championship fight. He also said that Kimi is in in "second half" of his career...

Hmmm.. They are both about same age, so Fernando isn`t on his second half? Funny guy.

#24 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 588 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:10

He also said that Kimi is in in "second half" of his career...

Well after 10 years spent in the sport I wouldn't expect Monte to say that Kimi is "in the first half" or "in the middle" of his career...  :drunk:

Edited by Miggeex, 20 December 2013 - 14:11.

#25 Dunc

Dunc

• 924 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:11

Have to admit, I actually agree with LDM.  A driver of Kimi's calibre never goes 'bad' but I don't think he's the threat he once was.  It's always possible that that statement will look very foolish in 12 months time but, right now, it's what I believe.

#26 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:15

ah, I guess we know the number Kimi will have on his car from now on then :rotfl:

anyway, bring it on. It's the sort of statement which will motivate Kimi to show great things (like he did in 2005 when time and again anger -then at the mechanical failures- made him display sheer drives of brilliance).

#27 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:16

Have to admit, I actually agree with LDM.  A driver of Kimi's calibre never goes 'bad' but I don't think he's the threat he once was.  It's always possible that that statement will look very foolish in 12 months time but, right now, it's what I believe.

This  :up:

And I say that as a Kimi fan.

#28 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:18

Well you have consider that if Alonso would go to Mclaren either way, and they couldnt get Vettel to leave Red Bull either, then they would be in big trouble if they would treat Kimi like **** and he would decide to quit alltogether....who then would they have for 2015?

No, there is no way in hell Kimi is going to tolerate any bullshit from Ferrari and Montezemolo, he is most definitely NOT going to be number-2 willingly...besides I dont really see how Ferrari can afford to play games with Kimi, trying to put him in weaker position than Alonso, if they REALLY want to get that constructor's championship as well.....if they would be as stupid as to favor one driver from the very beginning it would bite them in the arse in Constructor's championship.

This is again the usual Montezemolo bullshit he likes to throw at the media, like he always does.

Edited by Balnazzard, 20 December 2013 - 14:19.

#29 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:22

Maybe in Montezemolo's dreams he'll be.....I bet Kimi will let his actions on track tell otherwise.....ofcourse if Kimi fails to collect points at the beginning of the season and Alonso gets too far away in the points, then ofcourse that scenario is possible.....but if Ferrari really wants to win Constructor's title, they cant afford to play this number-2 driver policy anymore...especially with Kimi.

#30 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:23

Oh boy. The season has not even started and the skids are well greased if Alonso happens to edge Raikkonen.

What is this no. 2 anyway. Not even Massa was that (except after putting himself out of the wdc fight).

If Raikkonen matches Alonso you will see a 2007-8 season. If Raikkonen is out of pace, expect him to support Alonso and the other way around if Alonso has a bad start to the championship.

Now all of this is given the assumption the car will be competitive. And given recent history that is a much bigger unknown than who will get what treatment.

#31 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:30

I quess that by looking last two years, it is safe to say that Kimi is not a threat at all, he was just so bad.

#32 Dunc

Dunc

• 924 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:30

This  :up:

And I say that as a Kimi fan.

I'm saying it as a Kimi fan too.  It's not something I like but it's something I think is true.  In the four seasons he's had since winning the WDC he's won five GPs, compare that to the 15 he won before.  That's about fitting with what you would expect of a number two driver in modern F1.

#33 santababy

santababy

• 419 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:39

Oh dear, so the tradition continues...

#34 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:39

I quess that by looking last two years, it is safe to say that Kimi is not a threat at all, he was just so bad.

Its not that he has been bad, its not that absolute.

I myself just do not think he has the same pep in him he had in 2005-2007.

#35 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:40

Kimi will never settle for 2nd. He didn`t make that kind of contract and never will. Montezemolo must be dreaming.. :rotfl: :drunk:

I think it's the journalist who's dreaming, or has perhaps smoked too much weed too early in the morning. If you stick to the bit in inverted commas I don't think what he says is unreasonable: if your second driver is too slow and you decide to bring in somebody faster, obviously you do that because you want him to take points off rival drivers. Nobody doubts that Kimi will take more points off Vettel, Hamilton, Rosberg etc than Massa did.

What Montezemolo is obviously keen to downplay is any notion that Kimi will take points from Alonso, because that is of course the downside of replacing a slow second driver with a quicker one, if you want to win the WDC. I don't think there's anything unexpected or odd in that statement. He doesn't say that Kimi will be a number two. He doesn't say that Kimi will be prevented from taking points off Alonso. He doesn't say that Kimi will be unable to take points off Alonso. He simply ignores the issue while highlighting the positive aspect of the signing of Kimi, which is that Kimi will take more points off rival drivers than Massa did. That's exactly what you'd expect him to say.

#36 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:42

Oh boy. The season has not even started and the skids are well greased if Alonso happens to edge Raikkonen.

Well you have blame monty about that...Really stupid thing to say things like that,true or not.

Edited by jedioriginal, 20 December 2013 - 14:43.

#37 santababy

santababy

• 419 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:44

LdM didn't say Kimi will take more points off rival drivers but Alonso's rivals. I don't expect him to say that.

#38 santababy

santababy

• 419 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:46

Well you have blame monty about that...Really stupid thing to say things like that,true or not.

Yup. The boss doing the stirring dang!

#39 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:54

I think it's the journalist who's dreaming, or has perhaps smoked too much weed too early in the morning. If you stick to the bit in inverted commas I don't think what he says is unreasonable: if your second driver is too slow and you decide to bring in somebody faster, obviously you do that because you want him to take points off rival drivers. Nobody doubts that Kimi will take more points off Vettel, Hamilton, Rosberg etc than Massa did.

What Montezemolo is obviously keen to downplay is any notion that Kimi will take points from Alonso, because that is of course the downside of replacing a slow second driver with a quicker one, if you want to win the WDC. I don't think there's anything unexpected or odd in that statement. He doesn't say that Kimi will be a number two. He doesn't say that Kimi will be prevented from taking points off Alonso. He doesn't say that Kimi will be unable to take points off Alonso. He simply ignores the issue while highlighting the positive aspect of the signing of Kimi, which is that Kimi will take more points off rival drivers than Massa did. That's exactly what you'd expect him to say.

Monty  says, Kimi will take points off from Alonsos opponents in wdc battle..and important to help alonso in his fight for places at the very front,.So according to Monty Kimi will not be in wdc battle.

Edited by jedioriginal, 20 December 2013 - 14:58.

Advertisement

#40 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,731 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:56

I have edited the title from the original which spoke of LdM announcing that Kimi will be No.2 to Alonso. From the look of the google translate, that is not something he said, it's the journalist's reading of his more general remarks (although I can see that being something that could be inferred.) However, it's risky relying on remarks in translation. I think it is worth seeing the actual remarks in context first.

#41 427MkIV

427MkIV

• 279 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:00

Should Alonso have a couple of early DNFs and Raikkonen be in or near the WDC lead, will de Montezemolo's view change? 

#42 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:01

also in Turun Sanomat:

http://www.ts.fi/moo...a nousi kiistaa

"Montezemolo didnt say a word about number-1 or number-2 drivers. He only wanted his words to emphasize that he thinks Alonso to be the best driver in the world"  

Said by Italian TV-reporter Carlo Vanzini.

Just like I presumed, but media likes to make dramatic headlines over Monte's words.

#43 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:01

Well, in an ideal world neither Alonso nor Raikönnen supporters would give a rats bum about what comes out of LdM's mouth. But this ain't no ideal world, obviously. As such I admit having a hard time not gloating openly at certain people who rejoiced in the "ear-tweaking" affair earlier this year.  ;)

But seriously: it's LdM, who cares. Everyone keep calm and carry on, as no doubt Raikönnen himself does.

#44 santababy

santababy

• 419 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:02

Monty  says, Kimi will take points off from Alonsos opponents in wdc battle..and important to help alonso in his fight for places at the very front,.So according to Monty Kimi will not be in wdc battle.

Exactly.

#45 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,938 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:02

IMO you can't interpret the words of LdM different. He expects Kimi to be behind Alonso and it is Kimi's job to take points away from Alonso's opponents. If Kimi was really a No.1 equal to Alonso LdM would say that he will fight for the championship together with Alonso

#46 Wanderer

Wanderer

• 292 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:05

I don't think there's anything unexpected or odd in that statement. 

I do find it odd for him to say Kimi will take points off Fernando's rivals, as if he doesn't expect Kimi to mount a WDC challenge on his own.

It's also interesting that further down in the article Luca says he is against the last-race-double-points-farce. Didn't Ferrari vote for it? Don't know if that was confirmed or just a rumour. Would be hard to believe they got this through against Ferrari and Red Bull. To me it sounds like he underestimated the fan's reaction and moved his position a little. Anyway, he says that he wouldn't be surprised if this rule is getting scrapped soon so there is hope. 

#47 santababy

santababy

• 419 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:05

also in Turun Sanomat:

http://www.ts.fi/moo...a nousi kiistaa

"Montezemolo didnt say a word about number-1 or number-2 drivers. He only wanted his words to emphasize that he thinks Alonso to be the best driver in the world"  

Said by Italian TV-reporter Carlo Vanzini.

Just like I presumed, but media likes to make dramatic headlines over Monte's words.

Maybe the best driver in the world would be no.2 or maybe no.1 same as the not best driver in the world teammate. Hmm.

#48 molpid

molpid

• 366 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:06

I have edited the title from the original which spoke of LdM announcing that Kimi will be No.2 to Alonso. From the look of the google translate, that is not something he said, it's the journalist's reading of his more general remarks (although I can see that being something that could be inferred.) However, it's risky relying on remarks in translation. I think it is worth seeing the actual remarks in context first.

Well he didn't said those exact words [being #2 driver], but the whole context points to that conclusion without doubt.

edit:
Same storry now on motorsport-total.com [reliable source]

http://www.motorspor...i-13122002.html

Edited by molpid, 20 December 2013 - 15:07.

#49 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,564 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:09

I have to disagree. Actual remarks pointed that quite clearly, I could have named the topic similarly without that journalist comment in the beginning. What can be the other explanation If Montezemolo says Kimi is there to collect points from Alonso´s rivals

#50 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:09

IMO you can't interpret the words of LdM different. He expects Kimi to be behind Alonso and it is Kimi's job to take points away from Alonso's opponents. If Kimi was really a No.1 equal to Alonso LdM would say that he will fight for the championship together with Alonso

And IMO its just Montezemolo's view about which driver he thinks is stronger and more likely to win the championhip....As long as Kimi gets equal chance, im sure Iceman couldnt care less what Monte thinks.....and really, there is only 1 man that Kimi had trouble with in Ferrari and that was Monte, so his words dont suprise me.