* * - - - 6 votes

Luca di Montezemolo's Christmas speech re: Kimi Raikkonen

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#51 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,803 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:10

What does he think? That Kimi is as obedient as lapdog Felipe Massa was? Raikkonen will do his own thing like always and will only help Alonso if he's out of the championship fight himself, like he did in 2008.

Raikkonen is still in top form even though he's turning 35 next year. Let's not forget Alonso looked a bit in decline in the second half of 2013 as well, and he's just two years younger than Kimi.

Edited by DutchQuicksilver, 20 December 2013 - 15:11.

Advertisement

#52 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:17

also in Turun Sanomat:

http://www.ts.fi/moo...a nousi kiistaa

"Montezemolo didnt say a word about number-1 or number-2 drivers. He only wanted his words to emphasize that he thinks Alonso to be the best driver in the world"  

Said by Italian TV-reporter Carlo Vanzini.

Just like I presumed, but media likes to make dramatic headlines over Monte's words.

And this is just an personal opinion from Carlo Vanzine,holds no more weight than mine or yours...

Edited by jedioriginal, 20 December 2013 - 15:19.

#53 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,080 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:17

I have to disagree. Actual remarks pointed that quite clearly, I could have named the topic similarly without that journalist comment in the beginning. What can be the other explanation If Montezemolo says Kimi is there to collect points from Alonso´s rivals

Well, for one thing, his remarks are not part of a speech as such, they are answers to questions from the floor, aren't they? I would like to know what the context was, and I would like to see a more sensitive translation than google. I am not saying he *didn't* mean Kimi will be subservient to Alonso, I am saying that as this goes against his earlier remarks, it could all do with a little more information, and that in the meantime a more cautious title is no bad thing.

#54 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:23

IMO you can't interpret the words of LdM different. He expects Kimi to be behind Alonso and it is Kimi's job to take points away from Alonso's opponents. If Kimi was really a No.1 equal to Alonso LdM would say that he will fight for the championship together with Alonso

Well said. :up:

#55 molpid

molpid

• 215 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:26

Well, for one thing, his remarks are not part of a speech as such, they are answers to questions from the floor, aren't they? I would like to know what the context was, and I would like to see a more sensitive translation than google. I am not saying he *didn't* mean Kimi will be subservient to Alonso, I am saying that as this goes against his earlier remarks, it could all do with a little more information, and that in the meantime a more cautious title is no bad thing.

post #4 covers it perfectly [as a native german speaker].

#56 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:38

LdM did not say 'Kimi is the number 2'. The reporter says that.  Ok, LdM does not exactly talk about Kimi's championship chances and he talks about Alonso's. But neither does he say Kimi is number and would be relegated to a supporting role. If anyone is under any such illusion, we only have to go back to the Indian GP radio communications between Kimi and Lotus Trackside Operations Director.

#57 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 291 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:40

And this is just an personal opinion from Carlo Vanzine,holds no more weight than mine or yours...

Sure, but I still cant believe Ferrari would be so stupid as to start playing this "number-1 and number-2" driver game right from the beginning of the season, cause that could very well cost them the constructor's championship. If both drivers wont get equal treatment to the point where the other doesnt have chance for WDC, then it's going to bite them at some point, and Monte can kiss that WCC goodbye. The longer both drivers have a chance to win WDC, the better Ferrari's chances are for WCC as well, so I really see no freaking point to demote Kimi to number-2 driver before the season has even started....and especially knowing that Kimi WONT play that role until the point where he would be out of WDC battle....so considering all this, I think this bullshit about "Kimi will be number-2" is absolutely freaking ridicilous....Montezemolo can think what he wants, but atleast Kimi has much better relationship with all the other ppl inside the team, especially Dominicali and James Allison.

#58 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,080 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:44

post #4 covers it perfectly [as a native german speaker].

No doubt it is my loss, but I do not speak German, so even if I was inclined to change the title back, I am afraid I cannot get much from your link, although I have no reason to doubt your word as to its content.

Now, if you or anyone want to talk about the title further, do it by PM. We ask all discussions on mod actions are done that way anyway because otherwise, as here, it tends to distract from discussing the thread topics.

#59 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 16:06

Sure, but I still cant believe Ferrari would be so stupid as to start playing this "number-1 and number-2" driver game right from the beginning of the season, cause that could very well cost them the constructor's championship. If both drivers wont get equal treatment to the point where the other doesnt have chance for WDC, then it's going to bite them at some point, and Monte can kiss that WCC goodbye. The longer both drivers have a chance to win WDC, the better Ferrari's chances are for WCC as well, so I really see no freaking point to demote Kimi to number-2 driver before the season has even started....and especially knowing that Kimi WONT play that role until the point where he would be out of WDC battle....so considering all this, I think this bullshit about "Kimi will be number-2" is absolutely freaking ridicilous....Montezemolo can think what he wants, but atleast Kimi has much better relationship with all the other ppl inside the team, especially Dominicali and James Allison.

All you say is true..But the fact is Monty said it, and i really don´t see why he would say so just for fun.

Anyway thanks to Monty, the bright side is that we Kimi fans have now a perfect excuse if Alonso beats Kimi :clap:

Advertisement

#60 andrea303

andrea303

• 94 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 16:09

I think Alonso needs LdM to say all these "I love You forever"-type of words. Look at Felipe. His self confidence has actually been a reflection of his race engineer's encouragements which have had a direct impact on his driving.

After all this hype, '2014-Alonso-Has-the-upper-hand-prophecy' and 'Strongest driver' 'The first of the mortals' comparisons it has affected Fernando's own ego and image. Self confidence is extremely important when you want good results. It's just that now one of the oldest drivers in the paddock claims to be have supernatural powers. A driver who actually thinks he's a samurai. Yet the guy needs more gasoline to the flames. Really wonder why is that... Hamilton seemed to be a bit like him few years ago but once he has matured he's more concentrating on his efforts on track and not outside. 

What comes to Kimi I'm absolutely sure that Robertson knew (always had known) what Kimi wanted and it's not to drive as a Number Two. Ferrari knows that Kimi is willing to help Fred if Kimi is too much behind. Big question is: is Fred willing to do the same? 

I'm not sure if Fernando really asked Kimi for dinner but it seems that now when Fernando has said things like: "We might be missing Felipe.", could it be that Kimi rejected Alonso's offer? :D Or does Alonso think that with the 2014 car specifics Kimi might have an actual edge on him? He did say that he's willing to change his driving style into more Kimi-type driving... Who knows. While I'm personally pretty sure Kimi would be indeed faster with Michelins in Quali (Alonso too), he's not (in terms of raw speed) in the second half of his career. In terms of the actual timescale he is. I also think that 2 sabbatical years in Rally made Kimi a better driver + it's possible that he got two extra years in Formula 1 when his neck and nerve pathways have rejuvenated for two years (basicly no high G-force pressure to the body).

Whether you praise or disparage Fernando, it affects him. But Kimi couldn't care less and thus it doesn't affect his performance. So from Luca di Montezemolo's stand point, he just wants Alonso to stay put and be comfortable. Although LdM seems to be spitting controversial words from his mouth from time to time. Don't know if he's too old. First they don't veto this Double-points-system and later on raising big clouds of concern over this matter? Strange guy.

In 2014 Ferrari has the strongest lineup. If the car performs well, drivers are at the very top of their game and they both have a chance to cash in the WDC.

Edited by andrea303, 20 December 2013 - 16:53.

#61 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,398 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 16:12

Monty just said that Raikkonen would take points off of Alonso's rivals - something Massa did not do for the most part as he was busy taking points off of midfielders. Kimi took points from the front in 2012 - Alonso's rivals. Of course one would have to be quite slow not to realize this means that Nando will be taking points from Kimi's rivals (if both are at the front, their rivals will be the top cars in the fight). Monty said both will fight for wins.

In other words, what Ferrari will have now is two front runners, so you will theoretically get a situation like Macca 2007 or RBR 2010 without all of the angst (at least between the drivers). In those years, the teammates were at the head of the field, and all repeating rivals were lead car drivers. Both Ferrari drivers are in the second half of their career, however, imo, one of them is a sensitive individual, so be prepared for speeches to cater to that fact.

But this is all academic. First, show me the red car that will enable them to fight at the front and then we'll talk.

#62 discover23

discover23

• 3,869 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 16:12

I think Ferreri is bigger than both Kimi and Alonso. These two drivers would age and Ferrari will remain in F1. They are history, tradition and a global brand associated to Formula 1.

My opinion is that some of these details were speculated on the contract. No one here knows for sure what Kimi agreed to when signing the contract, however I expect that contract to be more inclined to the team's interest as opposed to Kimi's.

#63 bsrf1

bsrf1

• 81 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 16:18

He seem to think that Alonso is better than Kimi and Kimi is here to serve 2 purposes:

1. Collect more points than what massa did, so that they could be in fight for WCC.

2. Finish ahead of Fernando's rivals and behind him to help his WDC fight.

In essence Kimi should finish second when Fernando is first and he should finish ahead of Fernando when not finishing first. Is not this an oxymoron. It would be interesting see the reactions if kimi on his day  not yielding to Alonso. In any case, if Ferrari comes up with a car same level as previous years, they can only hope for WCC.

#64 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 16:29

There is no way Kimi agreed to be the number two, so either he said that to remove pressure from Kimi or put it on Alonso.

Edit: it seems it was just the journalist the one talking about numbers...

Edited by prty, 20 December 2013 - 16:37.

#65 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,398 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 16:30

He seem to think that Alonso is better than Kimi and Kimi is here to serve 2 purposes:

1. Collect more points than what massa did, so that they could be in fight for WCC.

2. Finish ahead of Fernando's rivals and behind him to help his WDC fight.

In essence Kimi should finish second when Fernando is first and he should finish ahead of Fernando when not finishing first. Is not this an oxymoron. It would be interesting see the reactions if kimi on his day  not yielding to Alonso. In any case, if Ferrari comes up with a car same level as previous years, they can only hope for WCC.

I think TC's translation of your point #2 is more accurate:

" Kimi's presence will be important, so that Alonso isn't left alone (on his own) in his fight for top (podium, high point scoring) places and important/crucial points."

Which does not say Kimi is there to finish  at the front on behalf of Alonso - but rather there will be 2 at the front fighting for wins. 

Edited by bourbon, 20 December 2013 - 16:37.

#66 TC3000

TC3000

• 1,019 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 16:31

"He knows, he's in the autumn of his career [talking about RAI]. He's particularly strong in the races and can take away points from fernando's opponents."

"Kimi's presence'll be important to help alonso in his fight for places at the very front and for important/crucial points".

Not that it matters much I suppose, but technically the second quote would be more correctly translated as:

" Kimi's presence will be important, so that Alonso isn't left alone (on his own) in his fight for top (podium, high point scoring) places and important/crucial points."

Depending on your inclination on this matter, you can see this from an "Ferrari" (WCC) perspective as well, as in he (RAI) will be there to help collecting points for the WCC, so that ALO wouldn't be left alone, trying to win this one for Ferrari. (the WCC).

People who see this more on an inter driver level, can conclude form the "his fight for" part in the quote, that ALO is perhaps still LdM's "golden boy".

But considering the events in the past, I think this isn't really surprising.

If RAI would win a (another in his case) WDC with Ferrari before ALO wins one, this would mean LdM's decision back in 2008 to jettison RAI for ALO would be seen in a different light.

Some would say, he was wrong to do so, a situation none of these guy's (LdM, CEO's and other public figures in general) would like too much - IMO.

Therefore, if they can avoid the embarrassment they may be tempted to do so.

There is another, economical, dimension (Santander etc.) to be considered in this, his decision back in 2008, and what he says/does now. He need to keep all "the balls in the air" ( stakeholders happy) from a Ferrari/business perspective as well.

I for my part, found it already interesting/telling that he would bring / agree to bring RAI back, despite his decision/call back in 2008, so it seems that he has already swallowed a bit of his "pride", in the quest to move Ferrari/ the business forward - which is not a bad thing, but not everyone would have done this I suppose.

We don't even know, if this decision, to bring RAI back was entirely voluntary on his part.

A similar, allowed slightly more dramatic, situation would be if McLaren would sign Alonso again, at one point in time, 

#67 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 17:00

I can't believe that some people think Montezemolo is dumb enough to say in public that he hired Kimi to be #2. Both drivers will be #1 at the start of the season, like in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.

#68 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,410 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 17:05

The aim here is to hang onto Alonso, he won't say Kimi and FA are on equal footing (yet), when he has Kimi locked while Fred seems to be looking around.

The tune can change very quickly ofcourse.

#69 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,620 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 17:06

Kimi will never have the chance to let Alonso pass, because he'll always be at least 2 places ahead of him. trolololo

Now in all seriousness:

I'm not much of a German speaker, but I think Montezemolo meant that Kimi will be up there fighting for podiums with Alonso, thus taking more points off Ferrari's rivals. Now he doesn't explicitly say he'll play the support role, but I can see how a lot of people can interpret it that way. He seems to be favoring Alonso, based on those comments, but also speaks nicely about Kimi at the same time.  

At the end of the day, you can't really expect Kimi to win next year's championship while accommodating to another team. The fight will be close but I expect Alonso to beat him slightly, at least in the beginning. 

Edited by Cyanide, 20 December 2013 - 17:09.

#70 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,602 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 17:11

Kimi will never have the chance to let Alonso pass, because he'll always be at least 2 places ahead of him. trolololo

Now in all seriousness:

I'm not much of a German speaker, but I think Montezemolo meant that Kimi will be up there fighting for podiums with Alonso, thus taking more points off Ferrari's rivals. Now he doesn't explicitly say he'll play the support role, but I can see how a lot of people can interpret it that way. He seems to be favoring Alonso, based on those comments, but also speaks nicely about Kimi at the same time.  

At the end of the day, you can't really expect Kimi to win next year's championship while accommodating to another team. The fight will be close but I expect Alonso to beat him slightly, at least in the beginning. 

Why not? He did it before.

#71 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,620 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 17:14

Why not? He did it before.

Because this time he has Alonso as a teammate. Last year he had Grosjean. 

#72 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,602 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 17:16

Because this time he has Alonso as a teammate. Last year he had Grosjean. 

This is true, but nothing to do with it being his first year at the team.

#73 ANF

ANF

• 660 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 17:33

Montezemolo's words in English:

"[Kimi] is very motivated at a crucial point of his career."

"The combination of Alonso and Kimi will be very strong. We can count on Kimi to take points off potential challengers."

http://cars.uk.msn.c...ccess-in-2014-1

On 22 October. :smoking:

#74 kimister

kimister

• 935 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 17:51

Monte knew exactly what he was saying ! I thought maybe they learned their lesson from the first stint, but apparently not... so I am sure if they try to behave Kimi as 2nr, then they will get their answer in a clear way from Kimi like Permane did in India this year. I can ensure you that the Ferrari garage would be in a more chaotic atmosphere even than Mclaren's.   I advise Ferrari not to push their luck this time  :smoking:

#75 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,620 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 17:51

LdM on Autosport.com

"I think that the main reason why I am positive is because Kimi in particular in the races is very strong, so will be in condition to get points off even some of Fernando's competitors to get points for the team."

"They are responsible and I think the presence of Kimi will be extremely important and useful to not leave Fernando alone at the front of the grid to fight from the first lap to the end."

I don't know. Sounds like a supporting role to me after all. He seems to be talking about Alonso as the primary guy at Ferrari. 

#76 kimister

kimister

• 935 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 17:54

LdM on Autosport.com

I don't know. Sounds like a supporting role to me after all. He seems to be talking about Alonso as the primary guy at Ferrari. 

Exactly he means that ...he could say ...from our competitors, but he preferred to say Alonso's instead. Not a smart thing to do  before even season starts. 

Edited by kimister, 20 December 2013 - 17:55.

#77 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 18:08

dYfhVQZ.gif

Monty offering Kimi #2 status

(See you guys on page 70, have fun)

#78 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,620 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 18:12

dYfhVQZ.gif

Monty offering Kimi #2 status

(See you guys on page 70, have fun)

Isn't that what you posted when rumors started that Kimi was offered a Ferrari contract? 

#79 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,314 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 18:20

Monty just said that Raikkonen would take points off of Alonso's rivals

Alonso's biggest rival is Vettel and Kimi was the driver with most finishes above Vettel this season.

Advertisement

#80 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 18:28

Isn't that what you posted when rumors started that Kimi was offered a Ferrari contract? 

It is indeed, and I'm very proud of it. I'm hoping Monty wants to buy Kimi out of his contract again just so I'll get to use it a third time.

#81 redreni

redreni

• 2,419 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 18:31

Monty  says, Kimi will take points off from Alonsos opponents in wdc battle..and important to help alonso in his fight for places at the very front,.So according to Monty Kimi will not be in wdc battle.

Only if you read rather a lot into what Montezemolo leaves unsaid. It cuts both ways. Kimi will benefit from Alonso taking points off his (Kimi‘s) title rivals too. Montezemolo didn‘t mention that,but it‘s true and it‘s not incompatible with what he did say.

#82 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 18:50

That is LdM "apology" to Raikkonen
:lol:

#83 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 19:06

I can't believe that some people think Montezemolo is dumb enough to say in public that he hired Kimi to be #2. Both drivers will be #1 at the start of the season, like in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.

I would really like to see your comments if Monty had said"we hired Kimi because while Kimi is fighting of WDC, Alonso would take points of from Kimis oppponents...

#84 kimister

kimister

• 935 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 19:14

What Monte said in full

''I think Fernando knows that he drives not for himself but for Ferrari, and Raikkonen knows that he is in the second half of his career, and [there are] two very important years for him in front. Experience, responsibilities."

"I think that the main reason why I am positive is because Kimi in particular in the races is very strong, so will be in condition to get points off even some of Fernando's competitors to get points for the team.

"And he is a very correct guy. Since he has been with us we have not got even one moment of problems.

"They are responsible and I think the presence of Kimi will be extremely important and useful to not leave Fernando alone at the front of the grid to fight from the first lap to the end.

"[Stefano] Domenicali has spoken very clear to both of them, and they have the honour and the responsibility to drive for Ferrari.

"Every driver while I have been here knows that he has to drive not for himself but for the team.

"If some driver wants to drive for himself there are many possibilities, they can do their own team, they can go in a different team, but in Ferrari these are the rules - and that is very clear."

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/111932 

#85 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 551 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 19:17

Typical, some media blow statement and make affair from this. Some might think that he says indirectly that Raikkonen will be #2, but his last words might not be to Raikkonen (to follow TO, or whatever) but to Alonso, that he should not expect primary status anymore. 

btw LDM is president but he's not team principal it's up to Dom to do what he want.

#86 mardmarium

mardmarium

• 489 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 19:48

I think Alonso needs LdM to say all these "I love You forever"-type of words. Look at Felipe. His self confidence has actually been a reflection of his race engineer's encouragements which have had a direct impact on his driving.

Whether you praise or disparage Fernando, it affects him. But Kimi couldn't care less and thus it doesn't affect his performance. So from Luca di Montezemolo's stand point, he just wants Alonso to stay put and be comfortable. Although LdM seems to be spitting controversial words from his mouth from time to time. Don't know if he's too old. First they don't veto this Double-points-system and later on raising big clouds of concern over this matter? Strange guy.

Do you really think so? I think he basically wants to win, it doesn´t seem to me he is worried about what people think or say about him. I don´t think that LdM says this in order to praise the “unconfident” Alonso, basically that he is taking care of his interests.

I wouldn´t read too much into this about Raikkonen position in the team. Ferrari has two drivers; one of them will be there for two years, the other one…who knows. Mclaren seems to be waiting for certain problems inside Ferrari. What did you expect Montezemolo to say? Kimi will take points off from Alonso? If he said so or something similar, he would be clearly helping Mclaren interests. I agree he could have said “from rivals” instead of “Alonso’s rivals”, but the way he sent the message, Mclaren room for action is getting shorter. People seem to focus their attention on the message sent to Raikkonen but he is sending a message to Ferrari rivals and to Alonso as well, “drive for your team and don´t get distracted by other things”

#87 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 20:21

What Monte said in full

''I think Fernando knows that he drives not for himself but for Ferrari, and Raikkonen knows that he is in the second half of his career, and [there are] two very important years for him in front. Experience, responsibilities."[/size]

"I think that the main reason why I am positive is because Kimi in particular in the races is very strong, so will be in condition to get points off even some of Fernando's competitors to get points for the team.[/size]

"And he is a very correct guy. Since he has been with us we have not got even one moment of problems.[/size]

"They are responsible and I think the presence of Kimi will be extremely important and useful to not leave Fernando alone at the front of the grid to fight from the first lap to the end.

"[Stefano] Domenicali has spoken very clear to both of them, and they have the honour and the responsibility to drive for Ferrari.

"Every driver while I have been here knows that he has to drive not for himself but for the team.

"If some driver wants to drive for himself there are many possibilities, they can do their own team, they can go in a different team, but in Ferrari these are the rules - and that is very clear."

Is this really what Monty said or just an Autosports reporters translation from Italy to English...? I mean does anybody know was the original stament from Monty said in English or Italy? Don't want anything lost in translation.

#88 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 136 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 20:22

Well he didn't said those exact words [being #2 driver], but the whole context points to that conclusion without doubt.

edit:
Same storry now on motorsport-total.com [reliable source]

http://www.motorspor...i-13122002.html

Actually might not be so stupid from Luca. He has 2 drivers. The other needs emotional support, the other doesnt give a shit. That has nothing to do with how they end up in the races.

#89 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 20:24

"I think that the main reason why I am positive is because Kimi in particular in the races is very strong, so will be in condition to get points off even some of Fernando's competitors to get points for the team."

"They are responsible and I think the presence of Kimi will be extremely important and useful to not leave Fernando alone at the front of the grid to fight from the first lap to the end."

LdM on Autosport.com

He also seems to be still trying to defend/justify his choice to cut Massa from the team, especiallyin  the quotes above.  Is Montezemolo being critized or questioned by anyone over this decision? Sponsors or in the Italian/Brazilian press?  He just seems defensive.

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 20 December 2013 - 20:25.

#90 Jvr

Jvr

• 740 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 20:35

What Monte said in full :

''I think Fernando knows that he drives not for himself but for Ferrari, and Raikkonen knows that he is in the second half of his career, and [there are] two very important years for him in front. Experience, responsibilities."[/size]

"I think that the main reason why I am positive is because Kimi in particular in the races is very strong, so will be in condition to get points off even some of Fernando's competitors to get points for the team.[/size]

"And he is a very correct guy. Since he has been with us we have not got even one moment of problems.[/size]

Actually if this is indeed what Luca said, he is ear tweaking both of the drivers at the same time. Weird. Does he really believe in divide and impera principle?

In my mind he is trying to wind Kimi up on exactly with all these comments that have been posted and interpreted by the media i.e. "being on the latter half of his career" and "being even able to take points from Fernando's competitors."

On another hand he is clearly attacking Alonso while saying: "Every driver while I have been here knows that he has not to drive for himself but for the team" and while referring to Kimi "as a correct guy that has never caused any problems to Ferrari" is of course implying that Alonso has done so.

Was Luca drunk or does he really think that causing a rift between the drivers and within the team will deliver best results?

Way to rise team spirit before the Christmas, right. Seems to me Ferrari problems start from the top...

Edited by Jvr, 20 December 2013 - 20:49.

#91 kimister

kimister

• 935 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 20:56

Is this really what Monty said or just an Autosports reporters translation from Italy to English...? I mean does anybody know was the original stament from Monty said in English or Italy? Don't want anything lost in translation.

I don't think Autosport would publish news that is likely to give rise to misunderstandings due to false translation, so it is true probably.

#92 Wanderer

Wanderer

• 292 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 21:03

Actually if this is indeed what Luca said, he is ear tweaking both of the drivers at the same time. Weird. Does he really believe in divide and impera principle?

In the Sport Bild article there's some more ear tweaking for Alonso, with Luca saying he should take a leaf out of Schumi's book on how not only to win but also to lose together as a team. 

Plus some more respect for Vettel (very fast, great attitude), but for the next two years he doesn't have a number-one-driver problem. But in two years, they can talk again. 

#93 Jvr

Jvr

• 740 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 21:18

Official video of Ferrari site is rather neutral.

http://formula1.ferr...emolos-overview

#94 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 2,026 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 21:24

"Kimi's presence'll be important to help alonso in his fight for places at the very front and for important/crucial points".

Help is a bit of a strong word.

I'd translate as follows: Kimi's presence will be important, so that Fernando will not be left alone in his fight for the top place and important points.

In other words: Massa wasn't at the front, and Räikkönen is expected to be right up there with Fernando.

#95 Kimble

Kimble

• 230 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 21:36

This is all about PR and subtleties of a language.  We also need to know the direct question.  LDM is choosing his words carefully to not 'piss on' Massa or take sides between the drivers.  Therefore he chooses to talk of Ferrari and that both drivers will be at the front to 'win for the team'.

Everything else is just 'journalists' creating stories.

#96 Jvr

Jvr

• 740 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 21:55

Turrini's notes of the event while he admits being drunk with prosecco and grappa do not indicate any interpretation of Kimi being number two other than confirm LdM claiming Alonso is currently best on the grid (and Turrini claiming having objected that Vettel is at least as good).

Also many other interesting insights to the speech such as Luca would veto if Spa was to be removed from the list of GPs and that the first Ferrari driver to drive in Jerez test will be Raikkonen...

http://blog.quotidia...me-renzi-letta/

Edited by Jvr, 20 December 2013 - 22:00.

#97 Niro

Niro

• 213 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 22:07

This is all about PR and subtleties of a language.

Hilarious. I don't think LdM could have said it any clearer.

Kimi fans can prepare for an agonising season and Alonso supporters can hail the extra 0,6. :lol:

How stupid can a man be...walking into the same trap TWICE?

Either Kimi is very naive or very greedy. Or both... :stoned:

#98 Jvr

Jvr

• 740 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 22:15

Kimi fans can prepare for an agonising season and Alonso supporters can hail the extra 0,6. :lol:

You think so? Were you at the event and heard what Luca said? Italian media does not seem to have got the message of LdM announcing Kimi being number second at all...

#99 kimister

kimister

• 935 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 22:30

Hımmm.. Is this your wishful thinking for next year ? Just curious due to your manner used in the post or you are trolling the thread  :smoking:

Advertisement

#100 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,450 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 22:52

to sum it up. probably Luca didn't say that the reporter wanted him to say and you are all a bunch of kids overreacting. No one knows what next year will bring and if Kimi is up to it and is leading he won't be a number 2.

/ not a nervous Kimi fan, and what will be will be, no problemo