Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Opening post of the year - thank you for voting

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Opening post of the year - thank you for voting (103 member(s) have cast votes)

What was the best opening post of 2013?

1. IndyCar GP of Houston by Andrew Hope (46 votes [44.66%])

Percentage of vote: 44.66%

2. NASCAR Weekend: Indy by Dilla (1 votes [0.97%])

Percentage of vote: 0.97%

3. Indycars at St Pete: let's get it on by Risil (2 votes [1.94%])

Percentage of vote: 1.94%

4. Indycar Grand Prix of Sonoma by Jim Thurman (3 votes [2.91%])

Percentage of vote: 2.91%

5. FOM in race fixing scandal by jonpollak (14 votes [13.59%])

Percentage of vote: 13.59%

6. Vettel rap by Andrew Hope (18 votes [17.48%])

Percentage of vote: 17.48%

7. Yeeeehaw! An official NASCAR Texas weekend thread by gm914 (10 votes [9.71%])

Percentage of vote: 9.71%

8. The 2013 Abu Dhabi GP Build Up Thread by Cool Beans (9 votes [8.74%])

Percentage of vote: 8.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 16:08

Vote! Vote! Vote!

Last week, I asked you to cast your mind back over the year and think about some of the really inventive, funny or eye-catching threads the board has started since 01 Jan 2013. Thanks to all who sent in their ideas. Those nominations have been gathered and collated and now it's time for you to pick your favourite. As previously mentioned, the criteria are subjective - you simply pick the one you think is the best. In an ideal world, I'd hide the voting but the system doesn't seem to allow for it, so we'll have to use the usual poll. This will inevitably reduce some of the suspense when we announce the winner on 06 January 2014.

As mentioned, prize is as follows:

•One year's digital subscription to Autosport+
•The option of having it commemorated under your avatar how you made the best OP of 2013

Prize has been kindly donated by Autosport, but there is no input from anyone at Haymarket magazines into this. Nominations are selected by the moderators from submissions and voting is by the membership of this board.

The nominations:

1. IndyCar GP of Houston by Andrew Hope

Packed with important context about the season so far, exciting things for fans to look out for that weekend and track details in a way that was both deeply informed AND hilarious.

2. NASCAR Weekend: Indy by Dilla

Original, concise, informative and, thanks to the .gif that heads it, rather hypnotic. And yes, happy birthday NELSINHO PIQUET! indeed.

3. Indycars at St Pete: let's get it on by Risil

Impassioned views on a complex subject, eloquently argued while keeping a light touch. I think we all learned a little something from that Venn diagram there.

4.Indycar Grand Prix of Sonoma by Jim Thurman

Full of genuinely interesting information, enthusiastically written.

5. FOM in race fixing scandal... by jonpollak

Racing's answer to Carl Bernstein & Bob Woodward sets out fearlessly to uncover a scandal.

6. Vettel rap by Andrew Hope

The 4X World Champion reveals an unexpectedly creative side.

7. Yeeeehaw! An Official NASCAR Texas weekend thread by gm914

Concise, and yet very funny. Who knew "there has only ever been one famous person to come from Texas. And he doesn't even come from Texas!" ?

8. The 2013 Abu Dhabi GP Build Up Thread by Cool Beans

He's got graphics and he knows how to use 'em. Boldly seeking to raise the level of effort put into F1 race weekend opening posts.

Notes abut the selection of nominees

Some of our nominees were submitted multiple times for their work on different regular race day threads. We also received PMs that would say things like "any of X's race day threads!" This put us into a bit of a quandary. The award is for the best opening post, rather than best poster so an option was to have posted the links to all their posts. However, it was felt that this was most likely to end up punishing the prolific nominee, as those likely to most enjoy their work would probably split their votes, weakening their chances of an overall highest score. It also didn't account for those who asked us to pick the best opening post from an individual. In the end, where the same person was nominated more than once for similar threads, we selected what we felt was a representative work. This is why Andrew Hope has two slots - we figured they were different enough not to put him at a voting disadvantage.

I hope you enjoyed reviewing the nominated posts. I know I did when I was helping to put this thing together. By all means discuss them but please, as the authors did not submit their own work for consideration, it would not be fair to be overly critical of anyone here. All of the nominees deserve our thanks, because they have given up time and effort to entertain and inform you. They deserve our thanks and celebration, so let's keep it polite and upbeat, please.

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,783 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 21:29

This is why Andrew Hope has two slots - we figured they were different enough not to put him at a voting disadvantage.

Shouldn't matter. I don't think anyone can stand up to Autosport's own Rob Ford.

Really cool to see the Haymarket crew show a bit of love, too.

Congrats to everyone nominated. :clap: I remember reading and enjoying all of these, especially my own.

Edited by Risil, 21 December 2013 - 21:33.

#3 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,783 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 21:36

Thinking back on it I really enjoyed the Create the Livery thread (and voting procedure) at the start of last year too, although that's probably outside the remit here.

Edited by Risil, 21 December 2013 - 21:39.

#4 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,448 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:44

Excellent initiative! My vote goes to Mr. Hope, if only to convert those 700+ likes into our inaugural Autosport forum beauty pageant crown.

#5 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:55

I must admit, the Indy/NASCAR topic contestants are well-thought-out, highly organized with beautiful diagrams, pictures and videos.

I wanted to vote for everyone -- but, there can only be one.

Edited by Romulan, 22 December 2013 - 20:02.

#6 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:11

As a member, option 1 had me at "unnecessary Danica mentions".  :clap:

#7 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:11

People really need to start putting more effort into F1 posts like Cool Beans :)

Perhaps SophieB has an ulterior motive with the contest...  ;)

#8 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 15:02

well, one sees race event Opening threads all the time. .... 

but one doesn't see a RAP thread every day  :p

just so you know which gets my thumbs up  :up:

#9 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 16:41

I appreciate the nominations. If I'd known there was a prize I would've tried harder and sobered up before writing. This is my grade 9 exams all over again.

I got a laugh out of all of those but I have to give the nod to my pal Risil.

#10 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 21:59

SophieB you should un- pin this topic to get more votes, i think it gets overlooked because people are used to just scroll by of ol' habit.

Edited by ollebompa, 23 December 2013 - 22:00.

#11 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 22:11

SophieB you should un- pin this topic to get more votes, i think it gets overlooked because people are used to just scroll by of ol' habit.

I wondered about that. Let's unpin and see what happens. However, it was pinned because I figured people would as soon vote rather than discuss so it's likely to drop from view. We'll see.

#12 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 22:59

God damn it, I want everyone to get ALL OF THE VOTES, but noHope gets my vote for that IndyCar yearbook. ilaugheverytime

Great thread Sophie and thanks to all of y'all dudes/dudettes nominated and for all the laughs I had this year over this here parts. If only I could drink some quintessential beers and gin with all of you on a race weekend, I f***ing would. One can dream, right.

My new year resolution for these boards is to witness any and all of the races out of all of the championships and whatnot have it's very own rendition of the Indy/Nascar type race thread (especially for F1 *sigh*). One can only imagine the crushing hollow hopelessness, subsadness and sobbing hilarious dementia a WTCC Slovakiaring Race Day thread would bring.

Edited by OvDrone, 23 December 2013 - 23:01.

#13 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 00:25

Casting a blank neutral vote here. Congratulations to the nominees.

#14 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 15:09

Some great choices there, and a good idea for a thread.  Also great to see the Indycar and NASCAR threads get so much love - I spend far more time in those types of threads than I do in any of the F1 ones. 

Despite my thorough enjoyment of Mr. Hope's threads, I'll admit to voting for gm914's Texas thread.  Risil and Andrew will now hate me.  :(

Neil

#15 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 21:32

Don't worry Neil, I hated you long before this.

jk ilu <3

#16 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 22:00

As I lead a shallow and sheltered life I don't visit the American racing threads and I am obviously missing out as there are some great posts here with real effort put into them and I have enjoyed reading them. (This board continues to educate me in all things motorsport). Congratulations to all nominated.

#17 byrkus

byrkus

• 1,011 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 00:47

Being from Slovenia, there isn't much racing on TV really, except of F1 - or NASCAR Nationwide on Motors TV, but that's just about it.

But still, whenever there's a new topic about NASCAR or Indycar, I just know in advance, that I will just ROFL at the opening post. No matter what race, no matter who writes it. Just pure entertainment. :clap:

But where I laughed most, and it's not between the nominees, unfortunately...

CORNHOLIO!!

That one had me in stiches for days. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Anyways... My vote goes to mr. Andrew Hope. :wave:

#18 wonk123

wonk123

• 1,658 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:04

A lot of effort went into the Nascar opening posts, with the occasional 2 being done at the same time and being combined as they were both so awesome. My christmas wish is for the whole board to be conducted in the same manner as the Nascar threads, they were a pleasure to read! Oh yeah, and world peace.

#19 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:21

Thanks everyone contributing in the NASCAR and Indycar threads! They keep this forum civilized and enjoyable to read. Here's for 2014!! 

Advertisement

#20 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,536 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:10

Great stuff. :clap:  I can only give my vote to one, and I Hope it goes the right way.   ;)

#21 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 22:18

As I lead a shallow and sheltered life I don't visit the American racing threads and I am obviously missing out as there are some great posts here with real effort put into them and I have enjoyed reading them. (This board continues to educate me in all things motorsport). Congratulations to all nominated.

I am pleased it has led to more people reading the threads!

#22 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 22:27

Oh yeah, and world peace.

There's Hope for us all  :up:

#23 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 00:10

People really need to start putting more effort into F1 posts like Cool Beans :)

Perhaps SophieB has an ulterior motive with the contest...  ;)

Nope, completely up front about that, it would be great if we could get better OP's overall, but in the meantime it's just nice to celebrate the very best we have had in 2013.

#24 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,233 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 17:32

The quote from Pippa Mann in the yearbook in the Houston thread was the clincher for me. :rotfl:

Hope gets my vote, but everyone else comes really close--awesome effort by everyone who contributed to the Indy (and NASCAR) threads this year, and I hope to see bigger and better stuff next year. Maybe I'll attempt to contribute for a change. :p

#25 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,783 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 17:48

Maybe I'll attempt to contribute for a change. :p

Sounds legally binding to me

#26 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 16:56

Opening posts like these, and other little gems that didn't make it onto the short list really make the forum worthwhile. You are all winners, congratulations and thank you. 

#27 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,451 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 13:51

I had this one pegged as something I had no need for, JP send me here and I am very pleased he did. Some great work here, and I have cast a vote for very very very well thought and executed opening post. Wonder if this will lead to blatant creativity across the board in 2014?

Uneccessary Danica Mentions:

v105.png

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:cool:

#28 Module

Module

• 1,055 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 14:03

Cool Beans OP was great and would deserve to win, but I HOPE there's a new rap on the way...

#29 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 14:34

All of these are great! Very funny and entertaining. :) If only I could vote for all of them.

#30 GoodSister

GoodSister

• 172 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 15:00

I didn't read many of the threads at the time as I don't follow IndyCar or NASCAR, but reading the opening posts on these threads just now makes me realise some of the things I have been missing out on. Some great work there.

Ended up voting for the IndyCar Houston thread, but they were all entertaining in their own way.

#31 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 17:17

Ok..It's New Years Eve and I've already had a few...

Andrew Hope, on 23 Dec 2013 - 16:41, said:
.... but I have to give the nod to my pal Risil.

As our kid  Smedley would say..'That's very magnanimous of you.'

But not without reason.

'The Ris', within the last couple of seasons, has single-handedly raised the general tenor of these shores. He's made such a visceral and intellectual shift in the execution and perception of the OP that he deserves sole credit for the resuscitation of the quality that this place was famous for waay back in the bira days. His input has galvanized the thoughts and ruminations of respondents to the point that we now clamour for the honour of being awarded the next OP while at the same time ushering the oft seen literal and humourless contribution straight into the kitty litter.

To you sir I say ..BRAVO.

And with that, the gentleman from the Great State of California casts his vote for...

Cool Beans.

Jp

#32 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 18:49

Indycar GP of Houston by Andrew Hope for me.

I read, and re-read all the nominations. All of them are excellent, but IGPoH made me want to follow Indycar besides LMAO. It is exceptional. Saying that, all the nominees are are worthy, and if I ever feel like opening a thread - which has never happened, and after reading these OPs the chance of that is considerably smaller - I will keep them in mind as a standard.

#33 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 21:14

I feel kind of bad Houston got the nod because 90% of that is silly references to the previous IndyCar threads no one will get if you haven't been reading them all year :D.

#34 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:28

And with that, the gentleman from the Great State of California casts his vote for...

Cool Beans.

Jp

Why thank you. Your vote might have been ironic or the result of having too much to drink but I'll take it. Coincidentally I voted for your Race Fixing Scandal post some weeks back and was also slightly drunk at the time... the only way to browse this forum.

Andrew hope came a close second but unfortunately you could only vote once.

#35 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 15:22

Only a couple more days left to vote for this so get them in now.

#36 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 22:35

Why thank you....Coincidentally I voted for your Race Fixing Scandal.

You WHAT..???
You're an idiot!!!
Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 05 January 2014 - 00:29.

#37 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,783 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 22:54

Ok..It's New Years Eve and I've already had a few...

As our kid  Smedley would say..'That's very magnanimous of you.'

But not without reason.

'The Ris', within the last couple of seasons, has single-handedly raised the general tenor of these shores. He's made such a visceral and intellectual shift in the execution and perception of the OP that he deserves sole credit for the resuscitation of the quality that this place was famous for waay back in the bira days. His input has galvanized the thoughts and ruminations of respondents to the point that we now clamour for the honour of being awarded the next OP while at the same time ushering the oft seen literal and humourless contribution straight into the kitty litter.

To you sir I say ..BRAVO.

Cool Beans.

Jp

Thank you for the kind words. Racing Comments was a really fun place last year. Hopefully a more exciting F1 season this year won't ruin everything.

Good shout on Cool Beans too. I'm sure me and the Hopester and GM and everyone has contemplated a Grand Prix post, but didn't have the bravery. I know which of your OPs I wanted to vote for but it mysteriously wasn't on the list.  ;)

Edited by Risil, 04 January 2014 - 22:55.

#38 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 17:30

I am very happy to say that Andrew Hope has won the prize for writing the best opening post of 2013. We were honestly spoiled for choice when trying to choose the best from one of his race weekend posts, such is the amount of work and talent invested. A worthy winner indeed, in a very strong shortlist.

Congratulations to our winner and our nominees. And many thanks to all of you who voted or took the time to submit your ideas, the contributions you made were greatly appreciated. Speaking personally, I am delighted to see that this exercise led to more people discovering how good the NASCAR and IndyCar threads can be. And yes, if it leads to better F1 threads too, that can only be a good thing.

#39 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 17:51

Thanks for the votes. I've been promising to try harder since 1991, and 2014 will continue this fine tradition. I expect this pot of gold at the end of the rainbow to help us all raise the quality of this place and with a little luck you won't even be able to think about a car race without remembering the obnoxious novella of dirty jokes and innappropriate humor written about that race on here.

Advertisement

#40 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 18:05

I believe SophieB has already asked, but if you prefer a differently worded title along the same lines then let me know.  'Lord God Almighty 2013', for example, probably won't get passed.

#41 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 21:17

Congratulations, Andrew!  Well played that lad.  Take, ahh sorry, borrow (the economy 'n all ya know) a gold star out of petty cash.

:clap:  :clap:

Neil

#42 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 22:36

Congratulations Andrew. Awesome opening post. :clap:

#43 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 00:11

I would totally ask for "Lord God Almighty 2013" Andrew :p

#44 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:30

Nice work Andrew Hope, and all nominees.

The NASCAR/Indy threads always got my attetnion despite having next to no interest in the series.

I'd ask for the title to simply say "A better poster than you"

#45 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,274 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 16:49

Congrats Andrew and all the other nominees.  I am truly flattered to have even been nominated, especially as my OP was sorely lacking from a visual standpoint, missing all the .jiffs and mimes.  I don't know anything about those, but they tell me the kids like them.

I greatly appreciate the 3 votes, but feel like Ralph Nader.

Cut to the (hopefully distant) future. I breathe my last in some nursing home...

Nurse 1: "Strange, the last thing he said was 'Ha!, I beat Risil'...wonder what that means?"

Nurse 2: "Probably nothing. All he said for the last week was "Dammit, JP, I can't get the Nigerian feed." :D