• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3996 replies to this topic

#1951 GBarclay

GBarclay

• 178 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 19:13

http://en.wikipedia....kcountry_skiing

Permitted in some places not in others.

Generalizing here, but in Colorado, back country skiing refers to skiing outside the boundaries of the ski resorts. In most cases, you access the skiing by hiking in, hiking uphill, or dropping into the area from a pass. Some ski resorts may allow back country access from their area, either through gates, or at access points near the top of the lifts, or even via snowcat transport. Not all resorts allow this, in some cases you can have your pass pulled for ducking under the boundary ropes to get to the out of bounds or back country area. In CO most (not all) ski resorts operate via a user permit granted by the Forest Service because the resorts are on Federal Land. 

Resort skiing can be defined by - Do I need a lift ticket?

Back Country skiing or boarding to me can be defined by - Do I need an Avalanche transponder, and avalanche rescue training? Back Country skiing is a level of magnitude more dangerous than skiing within a resort boundary, we lost the grandson of the founder of Vail resort this past weekend to an avalanche that occurred in the back country (though only a mile or so from Vail itself). Avalanches within a ski resort are still possible though much less likely, ski patrol actively manages the snow pack within the resorts, and in some cases, will even manage the snow pack in the back country by blasting snow to clear potential avalanches in popular back country areas.  Some places I frequent, like Arapahoe Basin are probably 70% black or double black runs, and the areas between runs is open game. One assumes the risk that there may be obstacles, rocks or trees in these areas. 

When I read the initial reports on Scheuy's accident, I incorrectly assumed this was in the back country (off-piste), and I now understand I was wrong, and that the accident occurred in the area between two marked trails (not out of bounds, not back country, but still called off-piste). In my mind, that makes it all the more shocking. 

FrederikB, in the US the right of public access applies only to Federal, State, or Bureau of Land Management land, not private property (in almost all cases). 

Advertisement

#1952 FredrikB

FredrikB

• 1,174 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 22:12

For christ sakes Michael Schumacher injured himself Skiing, why do people have to go into the ins and outs of a ducks arse over everything?

Relaxe, it´s just people trying to understand what happened. 

#1953 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 22:27

For christ sakes Michael Schumacher injured himself Skiing, why do people have to go into the ins and outs of a ducks arse over everything?

So let me guess, when Senna had his fatal crash (not to say this is the same), you did not watch all the videos which tried to explain second by second how and what may have happened? Thought so. Now shut up.

#1954 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 22:38

So let me guess, when Senna had his fatal crash (not to say this is the same), you did not watch all the videos which tried to explain second by second how and what may have happened? Thought so. Now shut up.

Senna's crash was/is pretty relevant for somebody who wants to understand F1.

Some skiing accident by someone who has retired - even if he was the greatest driver of all- rather not. 

Edited by scheivlak, 09 January 2014 - 22:38.

#1955 pup

pup

• 2,619 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 23:13

People are going into the ins and outs of it because many have an interest in both F1 and skiing.  Whenever two interests merge, there will be heightened interest.  Combine that with an unfortunate accident like this, and frankly I'm surprised that there aren't many more posts about helmets, skiing technique, snow conditions, US vs European skiing, etc.

#1956 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 00:11

For christ sakes Michael Schumacher injured himself Skiing, why do people have to go into the ins and outs of a ducks arse over everything? He's probably done so many more dangerous Skiing manouvres than that over the years let alone any other activities. If he poked his eye out with a Tea spoon making a cuppa what are we gonna have then a two week discussion about what angle he was holding the Spoon? He tripped over a rock just like he could've tripped over a kerb running on the pavement. How many circumstances could tripping over lead to a bang on the head on a concrete object? Thousands! Rocks are hard Skiing is all about kinetic energy.

It annoys me so much, can we just talk about him in a way akin to his potential recovery or the situation he's in now than waste all this effort on falling on a rock?

You must remember that the folks around here will go into the 'ins and outs of a ducks arse' for sometimes thousands of posts over a simple moment of contact between two cars fighting for tenth place. It is just the way we are.

#1957 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 00:21

Internet forums are a rather self-selecting bunch, and the most concerned/involved/interested/obsessed - call it what you will - will be the loudest voices on them. It might seem incomprehensible to many people here, but in just these last few minutes hundreds of posts were written on forums I've never heard of on the 'crucial' differences between various brands of Chinese-made throw-away-clothing from the H&Ms of the world. But what's wrong with that? If anything, I think it's great that threads like this offer me the opportunity to look at this situation from angles I hadn't even thought of. Some I don't care for, others I don't understand, but they are the reason I come here for news on Schumacher's condition rather than the website of someone rephrasing a press-release and calling it news. :up:

#1958 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 00:42

Because he is a highly respected man, who is a hero to a lot of people. He has great meaning to people. I respect the man, and like him, but he is not a favorite or anything, but I have been following this quite closely aside from the past few days where things have gone a bit quiet. 

People are going to want to know why this tragic event, happened to this man who had great meaning attached to him. Its not like people are going into the "ins and outs" of someone falling out of bed in the morning and having a small bump on thier head!

Oh and can we please stop bringing up Senna's death, not because I am a fan, but its the most needless and pointless practice going in this thread, yet he has been brought up several times in several equally as pointless contexts.

Edited by sennafan24, 10 January 2014 - 00:43.

#1959 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 00:43

I often see people do that on the motorway, taking or leaving an exit at the very last moment.

It isn't like driving at all.

People ski off piste all the time. The groomed trails are just a guide, not the law.

Advertisement

#1960 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:03

Senna had a big bang on the head from a part of the car that could've happened at any time in other circumstances with all that kinetic energy and lack of protection in many scenarios before this that were not investigated. I actually had already foreseen his accident at the very corner he died at that very race meeting mainly due to the influence on me that Ratzenbergers accident had had. So no I didn't watch all the videos for your information, you've probably been wrong many times in the past with that attitude well surprise surprise you've messed up again. Don't tell me to shut up unless you have some knowledge or intelligence that gives you the ability to give that kind of advice. 

Schumacher fell over and hurt himself, no need to investigate actually but of course the law requires someone to have a look at it all just like it does me to investigate someone tripping over a shoelace in my workplace.

#1961 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:06

Wall of Hope at Kerpen

Kerpen_zps499a379b.jpg

#1962 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:09

Senna had a big bang on the head from a part of the car that could've happened at any time in other circumstances with all that kinetic energy and lack of protection in many scenarios before this that were not investigated. I actually had already foreseen his accident at the very corner he died at that very race meeting mainly due to the influence on me that Ratzenbergers accident had had. So no I didn't watch all the videos for your information, you've probably been wrong many times in the past with that attitude well surprise surprise you've messed up again. Don't tell me to shut up unless you have some knowledge or intelligence that gives you the ability to give that kind of advice. 

The guy you responded to was a bit of a prat for what he said, and how he said it. But, come on man.

Is any comparison to these incidents really relevant or needed? Both were very different and very tragic. That is all that is needed to be said really of any comparison. Plus this is a thread for the Schumi incident, I find it disrespectful that other tragic incidents are brought up here at all.

Edit: What Bourbon just posted is lovely  :up:

Edited by sennafan24, 10 January 2014 - 01:13.

#1963 Flyhigh

Flyhigh

• 4,223 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:36

For christ sakes Michael Schumacher injured himself Skiing, why do people have to go into the ins and outs of a ducks arse over everything? He's probably done so many more dangerous Skiing manouvres than that over the years let alone any other activities. If he poked his eye out with a Tea spoon making a cuppa what are we gonna have then a two week discussion about what angle he was holding the Spoon? He tripped over a rock just like he could've tripped over a kerb running on the pavement. How many circumstances could tripping over lead to a bang on the head on a concrete object? Thousands! Rocks are hard Skiing is all about kinetic energy.

It annoys me so much, can we just talk about him in a way akin to his potential recovery or the situation he's in now than waste all this effort on falling on a rock?

Why downplayed so much? I have ski once in my life and after this incident you know something? When I got back skiing I will be sure not to go off piste/off track or whatever, weather in Europe in the US or wherever, no matter how much people want to say it is normal.

I know people talking about going go off piste all the time, that he was an experienced skier, ok, fine, but is anyone going to tell me that skiing outside of the track the chances of any accident happening increases a lot? You know where there are rocks and "wild" snow? I am sorry, I don't want to judge Schumacher, in my view what he did is no big deal to result in this, we do similar stuff on a daily basis, it is crazy to live in a 100% risk averse way, but to say that circumstances are meaningless and doesn't deserve any consideration is silly.

Edited by Flyhigh, 10 January 2014 - 01:37.

#1964 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,032 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:53

*snip*

Well, in Norway, how you get down, is not anyones "business". However, they always put up different markers, depending on the risk of an avalanche. As long as there is no major risk. You go off-piste on your own. And you acknowledge that the ski-resort does not have any obligation to remove any dangerous stuff at all there.

#1965 The Passenger

The Passenger

• 1,788 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:36

Thanks for posting that, bourbon. 

#1966 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:05

I must admit, having had friends who have had head injuries and been put in medical induced coma I wasn't too worried at 1st.  However, I am getting worried about the amount of time this is taking.

There's no rush to bring him back. He is in a consistent state, with minimum agitation, maximum recovery. 

It would be nice to get some more info from the doctors/hospital though.

#1967 Amanda1978

Amanda1978

• 52 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:58

Got a bit of a fright yesterday evening while watching the BBC news and fast forwarding it to get to the weather forecast.  I saw the line at the bottom of the screen and the word coma, then the words "condition has deteriorated rapidly over the past few hours".  Waited for it to come round again and realised that they were talking about Sharon, the former Israeli PM. 

#1968 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:10

For German-speakers: an article about the (disputed) treatment methods of traumatic brain injuries: http://www.tagesanze.../story/13283174

Studies question for example the benefits of a craniectomy (http://en.wikipedia....ive_craniectomy) as performed in Schumacher's case because it can lead to a lot of complications.

(btw in Switzerland, a country with a lot of skiers, 52,6% of intracranial injuries occur at home, 31,6% on the street - that, together with the verdict of the official investigations, should definitely put some discussions about risks etc. to bed...)

#1969 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:36

Coming from someone with 2500 posts, which aren't all about racing. Perhaps you read this thread by mistake, Juan Kerr

As long as someone has a genuine wish that MS recovers, and is not being disrespectful, I really don't see the harm in discussion of details based on official information. Besides people have asked for information on brain injuries and skiing rules - who are you to tell them they're not allowed to learn more?  

Sorry, I don't wish to be arguing with anyone on a thread like this of all threads, but I can do without reading that your cooler than a penguin because you don't care how it happened. 

#1970 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:05

Coming from someone with 2500 posts, which aren't all about racing. Perhaps you read this thread by mistake, Juan Kerr

As long as someone has a genuine wish that MS recovers, and is not being disrespectful, I really don't see the harm in discussion of details based on official information. Besides people have asked for information on brain injuries and skiing rules - who are you to tell them they're not allowed to learn more?  

Sorry, I don't wish to be arguing with anyone on a thread like this of all threads, but I can do without reading that your cooler than a penguin because you don't care how it happened. 

My comment or born out of the simple fact that there is unlimited scenarios that wont be investigated that this same injury could have occurred an aslo I'm pretty sure Michael Schumacher wont care too much about the in's and out's of what happened either, I'm pretty sure be wouldn't be that interested in investigating this when he realises what happened.

#1971 Treads

Treads

• 2,806 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:44

Skiing on piste is something millions of people do, even when they are not experienced on the mountain and are not good skiers. It’s a somewhat dangerous thing to do but is kind of a sanitised experience because on piste some dangers are reduced or eliminated: getting lost, hitting trees, avalanche, hitting rocks, falling off cliffs.

Technically piste is a controlled area that has been pisted – i.e. the machines have been over it and smoothed it over etc.

When people talk about the fact that he was off piste, it seems like they are trying to suggest he was doing something wrong? In France it’s perfectly legal

As I previously said, skiing of piste is like walking off the trail. Or going mountaineering, or something similar. If you strap on some crampons, helmet and ice axes in Scotland or much of the Alps there are no routes, no ‘safe’ ways of doing it, it is an adventure sport, there is an inherent element of danger. People who are experienced at that sport and no the risks and can reduce the risks to a minimum

There’s a whole industry of adventure sports like mountaineering; there is a whole industry of off-piste skiing – skis designed for use off piste, specific classes you can take to improve your skiing off piste, guided tours off piste. These situations are to enable people to ski on terrain and snow that hasn’t been perfectly manicured, it is a lot harder. Relatively speaking skiing on snow that has been compacted and made as flat as a pool table / bowling green / cricket wicket (choose your metaphor) is a very easy thing to do as people with no previous experience can get up to a level good enough to ski most pisted runs within a couple of weeks of practise. What are the people who have ski’d several weeks each winter since the age of 5 do? The French, Swiss, Austrians, and Italians? Do you expect these same people to trundle around on the piste all the time on the same runs relative novices can do?

First and foremost, skiing is a means of transport and a sport. Pistes and ski resorts are there to let people ski more safely, and more conveniently, and with less experience. Making skiing a more fun, safer and easier thing to do.

Accordingly, the fact that pistes and ski resorts exist to make things safer and easier, especially for those of us without 100+ weeks of practise at skiing, should not be viewed in any way as preventing those people who have sufficient experience, ability and the desire to do so from going off piste.

The fact that the off-piste aspect is being discussed by police etc is probably to do with liability, blame etc. If MS hit a rock and injured himself on piste, someone gets sued, and probably loses; if MS hit a rock and injured himself by accidentally wandering off piste because of a lack of clear markings or similar, someone gets sued, and maybe loses.

But if MS hit a rock off piste and hurt himself, while deliberately going off piste, it is only his own fault.

It is NOT any reflection on MS that he was off piste. An expert skier can be expected to do these things. And just to further make a point – crossing a narrow gap between pistes is not really hardcore off-piste skiing. He wasn’t skiing in the wilderness or whatever.  

Anyway, that's just my input, a lot of people on the board (in my opinion / my impression) seem to consider what MS did to be a bigger deal than it was, and/or think it's controversial / silly. It's not.

#1972 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 13:06

Yup, its a non issue in terms of reasonable activity of an experienced skier. However, entering off piste areas are at your own risk in the alps. I suspect the investigation might need to rule on if this was obviously an off-piste area.

For perspective, next time it snows in England, plenty of people will find the nearest park with a hill and go tobogganing down it. That is off piste winter sport right there - at your own risk.

#1973 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 664 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 13:13

I just hope he makes a full recovery. If he doesn't, I guess he knew exactly what he was doing and he was happy doing it. I hope he recovers so good luck Michael, all the very best.

#1974 Treads

Treads

• 2,806 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 13:22

Yup, its a non issue in terms of reasonable activity of an experienced skier. However, entering off piste areas are at your own risk in the alps. I suspect the investigation might need to rule on if this was obviously an off-piste area.

For perspective, next time it snows in England, plenty of people will find the nearest park with a hill and go tobogganing down it. That is off piste winter sport right there - at your own risk.

This. +1. Really nailed the analogy there.

I just feel really bad for the guy... and his family. I'm not an MS fan by any means but of course this is irrelevant in a situation like this: I just think it's so unlucky, he decides to quickly nip across from one piste to the other, I have no idea how far it was but looks around 50m from the diagrams online. No drama, skiing from a red run to a blue run, either one of which he could probably (literally) have skid backwards, and then suddenly he's in hospital and may not wake up. Shocking.

The number of times I have strayed off piste... I once fell off a drag lift which wasn't directly by a piste, had to make my way across an unpisted area, snow upto my waist, hit a fence buried in the snow, fell over, skis came off, searching around for 10 minutes to find them, thankfully no injuries except wounded pride - but just shows this kind of thing can happen at any time to anyone.

#1975 FerrariMSchumacher

FerrariMSchumacher

• 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 15:19

I am anxious bout Michael not only beause I live in Germany, but he was my idol. I guess I will never cheer for someone as much as for him. I support Ferrari, but Michael remains the only one for ever.

Does anyone know when he could be woken up? Can the doctors analyse the situation and find out what consequances and damages to his brain could be expected before waking him up from the induced coma?

#1976 GBarclay

GBarclay

• 178 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 16:55

Technically piste is a controlled area that has been pisted – i.e. the machines have been over it and smoothed it over etc.

Thanks Treads, that single sentence really clarifies it for me, thanks

And the rest of your post is spot on. 

I believe all of us who go off piste, or ski in the back country / out of bounds, accept that it is a far higher risk than the groomed runs of a resort. And can accept that accidents can happen no matter how well prepared we are. I think I am struggling to comprehend Schuey's accident because he was a expert skier, the accident happened within metres of a groomed run, he was wearing a helmet, he was not skiing beyond his ability, he was with his boy at the time, and yet this still occurred. Being positive, the fact he was wearing a helmet saved his life. 

I just watched the documentary on Kevin Pierce, the US snowboarder who suffered a traumatic brain injury while training for the Vancouver Olympics. I learned a lot about brain injuries and the very slow recovery, and the huge risk these athletes face every time they are on the snow. In a way, it is positive, because if Kevin Pierce can (mostly) recover from a far more serious accident ( he fell from about 40 feet onto hardpack in a 1/2 pipe), there is a lot of hope for MS. In a way it is frightening, because you can see just how much recovery is needed for anyone who suffers a TBI (traumatic brain injury). Overall a very uplifting story. http://www.kevinpear...ocumentary.html

I certainly did not mean to hijack the thread, I have just been trying to understand the nature of the accident. I average over 30 days a year on snow. 

#1977 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 18:57

I am anxious bout Michael not only beause I live in Germany, but he was my idol. I guess I will never cheer for someone as much as for him. I support Ferrari, but Michael remains the only one for ever.

Does anyone know when he could be woken up? Can the doctors analyse the situation and find out what consequances and damages to his brain could be expected before waking him up from the induced coma?

Many of us share your worry about Michael.  But we can all pray and/or think positively together for a great outcome for him.  Every patient with this type of injury is different, so we cannot guess what ongoing treatment will be used or when the doctors will decide to wake him up.  They are monitoring him and the progress he makes, and will do what is best for him.  Patients are kept in an induced sleep for varied amounts of time - sometimes many weeks while doctors allow them to heal, and brought out of sleep at a time when doctors feel it is safe, so we have to be patient.  We won't know the extent of his injuries until then, but we do know Michael is a fighter - in every sense of the word - and his systems are fighting and he will fight, so there is every reason to have positive hope.  :up:

Edited by bourbon, 10 January 2014 - 19:01.

#1978 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,730 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:41

With Autosport gathering up fan messages of goodwill for Michael Schumacher at the Autosport show, Gerald Donaldson has written an interesting (and lovely) general piece on his views on the effect F1 stars can have on people, and also how the compassion shown by the public has in the past helped drivers at low ebbs in their lives.

http://www.f1speedwr...llen-stars.html

#1979 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 13:41

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p01p7lb6

Richard Hammond on Schumacher brain injury

Since he has been through it and fully recovered, he gives some good insight into how it was like during his recovery.

Hope for the best for Michael.

Advertisement

#1980 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,189 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 17:29

Some skiing accident by someone who has retired - even if he was the greatest driver of all- rather not. 

Do you by this random irrelevant "someone" happen to mean the most successful racing driver of all time? The same that raced no more than 15 months in F1 that almost all the people on this board follow race by race? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#1981 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 19:31

I will admit to knowing nothing about head injuries or medical things but, does anyone know roughly how long its 'relatively safe' to keep someone in a coma without long term effects?  I really don't know if its days, months or years.

I also admit to being pretty scared by no news for a week although his family totally have my support and I know its really none of my business.  I'm just a very worried fan.

#1982 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 20:04

Massa At Desafio Kart Charity Race 2014:

1545625_251794198319468_577744940_n.jpg    1545802_251618348337053_1376626534_n.jpg

Edited by bourbon, 11 January 2014 - 20:05.

#1983 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,984 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 20:12

Since he has been through it and fully recovered, he gives some good insight into how it was like during his recovery.

That was very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

#1984 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,228 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 20:17

Some Danish ski instructor had a similar ski accident on the same day like Schumi, without helmet, his scull in 2 halves, friends had to hold it together until heli arrived, had to stitch it up that they can transport him at all, and he is already recovering and conscious

http://www.bild.de/n...37278.bild.html

#1985 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 3,714 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 20:23

What do you mean his scull in 2 halves ?

#1986 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,228 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 20:46

My skull bones broke easily from the forehead down to the neck. My friends had to hold my head together with your hands for 40 minutes until the helicopter was there. "With 50 stitches, the emergency physician was mending his head together.

#1987 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,171 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 20:54

I will admit to knowing nothing about head injuries or medical things but, does anyone know roughly how long its 'relatively safe' to keep someone in a coma without long term effects?  I really don't know if its days, months or years.

I also admit to being pretty scared by no news for a week although his family totally have my support and I know its really none of my business.  I'm just a very worried fan.

I bought a biography of Stirling Moss today.  Moss of course suffered a serious head injury in 1962 which ultimately ended his racing career, although he did make a full enough recovery (he was able to drive a car at racing speed, but decided against returning competitively).  This biography states that he was in a coma and did not "wake up properly" (although he apparently had short lucid periods beforehand) for 38 days, after which he had to also regain motor function in the left side of his body, which he achieved over several months as his brain continued to heal.  So no cause for despair as yet.

#1988 P0inters

P0inters

• 1,143 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 21:00

Some Danish ski instructor had a similar ski accident on the same day like Schumi, without helmet, his scull in 2 halves, friends had to hold it together until heli arrived, had to stitch it up that they can transport him at all, and he is already recovering and conscious

Holy ****. He wasn't wearing a helmet and is recovering and concious but Schumi who was wearing one is still in coma .  :(  Life is cruel sometimes.

#1989 Wanderer

Wanderer

• 292 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 21:03

That report sounds worse than what you see in splatter movies. His head was apparently open from the forehead to the neck and literally held together by friends while waiting for the helicopter that just got Schumi to the hospital. The doctors said he should be dead actually. 

And he's already giving interviews?!

#1990 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 21:06

From Desafio today:

1526656_534426856664836_2088360145_n.jpg

Billed as a Ferrari Tribute Truck, but I can't verify it.  Nonetheless, it is an awesome tribute even if a photoshop...

1507209_534076750033180_1260793285_n.jpg

Edited by bourbon, 12 January 2014 - 00:48.

#1991 Morbus

Morbus

• 489 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 22:12

Well I'm no war vet, but I've seen people with their heads open with wounds at least ten people long and they were conscious and barely feeling any pain... The skin of the head is actually quite weird in the way it functions when wounded.

#1992 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 00:49

Like many, I am concerned by the silence. It's a similar scenario to the Sarah Burke (Canadian X-Games star)crash in 2012 ... serious fall (hers was in the super-pipe) with reported head trauma and coma, initial optimism followed by the family's request for privacy, then silence. Sarah died 9 days later. Hopefully Michael will have a more positive outcome.

#1993 yuffyuff

yuffyuff

• 65 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:27

A lot of posters on here want news yesterday, however the current silence should be looked upon as encouraging. The reason it isn't is because it creates uncertainty.
However the doctors know what they are doing and their initial prognosis was if schumi git through the first 48hrs they expected him to be in a coma for 2 weeks, probably as a minimum.
On Monday evening/Tuesday morning that will be 2 weeks from the 2nd operation. Also on sky sports wed/thu a report said a specialist said he expected them to try and wake schumi up sometime during the middle of this week.
I think the previous post and linking another accident along with the the family's request for privacy isn't relevant to Corinna's request. I doubt that family had to contend with journalist dressing as priests, news channels commenting on the families take away pizza choices and broadcasts going worldwide!

#1994 Murl

Murl

• 743 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:35

Great stuff, thanks RedOne (and Richard Hammond), for bringing such personal insights to the table.

#1995 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,228 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:07

BILD suggest that they might be trying to wake him up this week as well :wave:

#1996 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,266 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:01

Jp

#1997 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 16:24

http://msn.foxsports...t-weeks-months/

An expert talks about head injurys requiring induced comas and in particular similar to Schumachers case, he estimates 2 to 3 weeks before the brain can be woken up. A neuro surgeon adds that after three weeks in the coma the prognosis gets bad.  

Today is the two week mark so Schumacher is entering a critical according to these opinions.

“Generally, it takes two to three weeks until a patient with such a severe trauma can be woken up,” he said.

“But it can take days or even weeks until the patient opens his eyes. Unfortunately, it is also possible that the person does not wake up properly.”

Professor Kehler said it is a good sign that Schumacher, although critical, has entered a period of stability.

“In a severe craniocerebral trauma, the first hours and days are crucial to see if the pressure and swelling continues to increase. Especially critical are the first three to four days.

“When patients get through those first few days, everyone can breathe a little. But no statement can be made yet about the patient’s survival or the outcome.

“If the patient continues to remain stable, you can shut down the measures to reduce intracranial pressure and then dissolve the coma,” he explained.

A Paris neurosurgeon, Philippe Decq, told France’s RMC Sport that Schumacher will then reach a crucial point in his recovery.

“After a severe traumatic brain injury, if three weeks passes and there are no signs of awakening, then from a prognostic point of view it is very bad,” he said.

Let's hope we hear some good news this week!

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 12 January 2014 - 16:29.

#1998 george1981

george1981

• 1,366 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 18:03

Let's hope we hear some good news this week!

With the French privacy laws and Schumacher family asking for peace and the media to go away, I'm not sure if we'll hear anything for a long time.

This isn't bad news necessarily just that the family want some respite and will make announcements in their own time. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything until Michael is conscious which could be some time away.

#1999 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 18:14

From Desafio today:

1526656_534426856664836_2088360145_n.jpg

That's a nice gesture, even if the picture looks like something out of an old 1960s photo album. :)

Thanks to those posting links to informative reports. :up:

Advertisement

#2000 Morbus

Morbus

• 489 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 18:25

Each day without news is also a bit more hope that grows in my heart. This is an induced coma, so that's already better than a "natural" coma or whatever their called. And each day that goes by, Schumi's brain is healing itself. That's how the human body works. And the doctors won't let him out of his coma until his brain is all back to normal. The brain isn't like a leg, where you can be awake even if your leg isn't mended. The brain needs to fully heal, before you can be awake.

Of course after he wakes, there's another battle ahead. Hopefully all will be well, or as good as can be expected at least.

That's a nice gesture, even if the picture looks like something out of an old 1960s photo album. :)

Well, third world countries, bad quality cameras, you know the drill...

Edited by Morbus, 12 January 2014 - 18:26.