* * * * * 28 votes

Michael Schumacher seriously injured in France

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3996 replies to this topic

#2151 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,121 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:06

It is speculation. Like it or not. Each injury, especially brain injuries are unique and different to each individual. If i recall, there's this sports person, Kevin Pearce. He injured his head badly, and was in coma for about over a month. He's recovered, and though not competing, he's OK. The Crash Reel. Thats a movie about him. 

What i'm saying is, it's impossible to predict or take into account whoever's writing articles or opinions about Schumi. The family trusts the doctors treating him now, and so far, the word critical has been dropped from his status. He's safe now. It's progress. Unless there's proper news from Sabine or the Schumacher family, it's silly to read and keep on speculating about Schumi.  :wave:

A lot of unique events still have common factors, and can be classified by them.  Having a medically-induced coma last for a month is one such factor, and on average it is a very bad sign.  On average people with unique head injuries who have spent a month in a coma do not fare well with their recovery.  Can Michael beat the odds?  Yes, but on average people don't beat the odds by definition.

Edited by Dmitriy_Guller, 28 January 2014 - 03:06.

Advertisement

#2152 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,458 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:29

Where did they say that?

Sometime last week. His status has been described as out of danger. If I recall correctly, he's also been downgraded from critical to stable. I stand corrected though

#2153 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,458 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:33

A lot of unique events still have common factors, and can be classified by them.  Having a medically-induced coma last for a month is one such factor, and on average it is a very bad sign.  On average people with unique head injuries who have spent a month in a coma do not fare well with their recovery.  Can Michael beat the odds?  Yes, but on average people don't beat the odds by definition.

I agree. But then again, the doctors knows best, and no disrespect to you mate, but who are you and who am i to say whether he will make it or not make it. It's pretty much in God's hands now, and we can only pray and hope for the best. Cheers

#2154 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:58

:(

Come on Michael. If anyone can beat the odds, it's you.

Edited by lbennie, 28 January 2014 - 04:58.

#2155 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,707 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 18:24

Sebastian Vettel has been speaking about Michael Schumacher:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/25931782

"We still don't know what shape he will be in when he wakes up," said Vettel.
"I pray and hope he will come back and the miracle will happen and he will be the person he was before."

#2156 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,679 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:19

According to french sources, last weekend the doctors start to try to awake Schumi.

Let's pray!

#2157 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,225 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:31

http://www.bild.de/s...43998.bild.html

According to Bild, they started doing so this week and he is reacting positively on the lowering of the anesthetics. However the process might last for weeks

#2158 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:41

This yo-yoing about MS's condition and progress is getting silly

New statement from Michael Schumacher's management

BfI7PR_IIAIgRWY.jpg

#2159 rallye3

rallye3

• 72 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:04

It is indeed frustrating. No comment on negative speculation and no comment on potentially good speculation.

To be fair though they have said all along that they would not comment.

Advertisement

#2160 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:16

It is indeed frustrating. No comment on negative speculation and no comment on potentially good speculation.

To be fair though they have said all along that they would not comment.

I don't envy them or anything, this is a normal way for them to handle business. I got the same reply from Kehm at the end of 2012, you really don't want to come back at stories when something negative suddenly happens which contrasts the good news. Just wait.

#2161 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 14:44

This yo-yoing about MS's condition and progress is getting silly

Actually I'd reduce that to official statements from the doctors. The managements top priority is not to report truthfully to the public but rather to act in a way that is best for MS himself and his family. So in that sense they can't exactly be "trusted" either.

#2162 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 14:48

Nobody wants to say or even think it, but unless Michael has actually been awoken and is secretly being rehabilitated, then it's starting to look pretty grim for his prospects.

As someone who grew up as an 'anti' I always begrudgingly respected his feats, but cheered when Hakkinen or Montoya would get the better of him. That said, he is a great of the sport, and this is saddening. He seemed more humble on his return, and gained a lot of new fans. It will be a shame should he be reduced to a hollowed out version of himself stuck in a wheelchair after such a standout career.

Get well soon Michael, really rooting for you!! xxXxx

#2163 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 15:52

The new statement form hsi management is interesting. For this first time they do not says that the situation is unchanged, they do not say he is stable but critical, they just say they won´t comment.

#2164 rallye3

rallye3

• 72 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 16:46

The new statement form hsi management is interesting. For this first time they do not says that the situation is unchanged, they do not say he is stable but critical, they just say they won´t comment.

Although each new statement from them seems to have fewer words than the previous one. 

#2165 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 17:22

Any news given  - good or  bad - will cause another media frenzy which is what the family do NOT want. So they may just choose to keep it quiet in order to avoid another furore and deal with it on their own. The doctors will probably have been informed of this also and won't speak to the media either.

Who knows, Schumacher could have woken weeks ago and is undergoing rehabilitation. Maybe, maybe not.

#2166 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 17:28

Reading this is very hard, not cause of any sadness I feel for MS situation, I don't mean that in a bad way but cause he is not family and I am struck with grief over someone I don't know.

But my mum died last week with a brain hemorrhage, every case is different but she was kept on a machine only over night and then stopped it and let her go as they said there was no hope of recovery, maybe if we'd had millions we could have kept it on forever but were not in that situation, but you always pray and have hope until that last moment, its human nature to hope and pray that they recover even when there is little chance.

Its being good theres being testing as its allowed me to keep my mind occupied.

Edit to add: I've leave the 1st paragraph as it is, but its meaning isn't right, I'm not very good at English writing, but hopefully everyone know what I mean, but I can sympathise with MS family, I am sad about MS situation but it is different when it is someone so close.

Edited by study, 29 January 2014 - 17:38.

#2167 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,707 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 17:34

I am very, very sorry for the loss of your mum, study.

#2168 aray

aray

• 5,827 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 17:40

Reading this is very hard, not cause of any sadness I feel for MS situation, I don't mean that in a bad way but cause he is not family and I am struck with grief over someone I don't know.

But my mum died last week with a brain hemorrhage, every case is different but she was kept on a machine only over night and then stopped it and let her go as they said there was no hope of recovery, maybe if we'd had millions we could have kept it on forever but were not in that situation, but you always pray and have hope until that last moment, its human nature to hope and pray that they recover even when there is little chance.

Edit to add: I've leave the 1st paragraph as it is, but its meaning isn't right, I'm not very good at English writing, but hopefully everyone know what I mean, but I can sympathise with MS family, I am sad about MS situation but it is different when it is someone so close.

my thoughts are with you and your family... :up:

#2169 Schumster

Schumster

• 289 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 17:43

Yep, sorry for your loss, Study, and I hope you stay strong and get through the other side well.

The situation looks rather bleak at the moment  :|

#2170 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 17:46

The situation looks rather bleak at the moment  :|

It does, but you pray and hope, at this moment MS is still alive and comfortable and so theres still hope and that won't ever stop while he still breaths.

#2171 blackmme

blackmme

• 1,001 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 17:47

Please accept my condolences and deepest sympathy.

Regards Mike

#2172 Schumster

Schumster

• 289 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 17:57

It does, but you pray and hope, at this moment MS is still alive and comfortable and so theres still hope and that won't ever stop while he still breaths.

Yep, "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance."

The only good to have come from this is the amount of respect that he's been given, the amount of good wishes and the huge coverage of his incident. He was v.big and well liked but I never knew, as a Schumi fan, that he was so, so massive across the world that it was breaking news across news outlets from all over the place and that he was actually v.well liked with all the wellwishers.

#2173 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 18:00

Very sorry for your loss, Study. I hope you find the strength and courage to pull through.

#2174 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 18:09

Michaels doctor Stéphan Chabardes confirmed the earlier news in french media are true

#2175 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 18:24

I am very sorry to hear that. I hope your family stays strong and it brings you closer together now and for the future.

#2176 917k

• 2,963 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 18:29

Michaels doctor Stéphan Chabardes confirmed the earlier news in french media are true

What news was that?

#2177 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 18:34

Any news given  - good or  bad - will cause another media frenzy which is what the family do NOT want. So they may just choose to keep it quiet in order to avoid another furore and deal with it on their own. The doctors will probably have been informed of this also and won't speak to the media either.

Who knows, Schumacher could have woken weeks ago and is undergoing rehabilitation. Maybe, maybe not.

This is what I am thinking.   If they would announce he has been awaken from the coma, you will have the media sneaking in and poping their heads out of the toilets to seek an interview.

This types of injuries sometimes require extensive rehabilitation.  The media sneaking their noses into this business would interrupt and be detrimental to this process.

I think the best that can be done is following and respecting the family wishes.

#2178 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 18:44

Vey sorry to hear about your loss, all the best to yourself and your family. I admire that you have the courage to speak about it so openly  :up:

#2179 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 18:51

Take care of yourselves... this is never easy.

See you in the testing and car threads :up:

Advertisement

#2180 plumtree

plumtree

• 1,082 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 19:02

What news was that?

Probably this.http://rmcsport.bfmt...r-phase-reveil/

Michael Schumacher is indeed in recovery phase. The information was confirmed by Stéphan Chabardes neurosurgeon at the University Hospital of Grenoble. The protocol is respected so far, doctors gradually diminishing sedation to try to get out of the coma seven time world champion F1, still in intensive care 31 days after his skiing accident.

Then Kehm released the official statement (post #2163) later on. 

Keep my fingers crossed.

#2181 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 19:05

Yep, "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance."

The only good to have come from this is the amount of respect that he's been given, the amount of good wishes and the huge coverage of his incident. He was v.big and well liked but I never knew, as a Schumi fan, that he was so, so massive across the world that it was breaking news across news outlets from all over the place and that he was actually v.well liked with all the wellwishers.

He may not have been liked by the British press, but he was always one of the most popular drivers. Right there with Senna (believe that if you will). Infact depending on the region, Schumacher may come ahead of a lot of names put together. Like in India for instance.

He was very quiet about it, but he was very actively working for charities across the world, and usually is quite a generous person when it comes to giving to charities. The first time it came into light was when he was being badmouthed/ berated by the media, one of his friends got pissed off and then informed press how Schumacher gave $10 million out of his own pockets for tsunami relief (which struck south-east asia).

Schumacher was not always very private... but he got that way after all the negative press started to appear. Both Todt and Brawn have given several interviews affirming that. We were starting to see a bit of the young Michael upon his return, where he was rather open and not so guarded all the time. It would have been nice if he had stayed for another year or two.

For now, i guess it is time to say more prayers...

This is sodding cheesy, but once upon a time i harboured ambitions of starting a band :p (who doesn't). I wrote this song, with of course, this great in mind. Erm, the song was named "Lord Of Speed"

Line up on the grid
All senses now frigid
Can't see a thing but the lights
Now dreams take a wing and fly

Lord Of Speed
Lord Of Speed
He has arrived
Lord Of Speed
Lord Of Speed
He just left you by

Pedal down to metal
Open road full throttle
Leaving all things behind
Only a win on his mind

Lord Of Speed
Lord Of Speed
He has arrived
Lord Of Speed
Lord Of Speed
He just left you by

On and on
Lights to flag
I'll Take that win
Watch me win

Lord Of Speed
Lord Of Speed
He has arrived
Lord Of Speed
Lord Of Speed
He just left you by

I had something Audioslave-esque in mind when i wrote this song... so think of your Audioslave songs which you like :p

Edited by garagetinkerer, 29 January 2014 - 19:06.

#2182 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 19:57

He may not have been liked by the British press, but he was always one of the most popular drivers. Right there with Senna (believe that if you will). Infact depending on the region, Schumacher may come ahead of a lot of names put together. Like in India for instance.

In terms of critical acclaim of ability, I have found Senna and Schumi are the front-runners, ahead of the likes of Fangio and Clark these days. In terms of pure popularity, it is hard to measure. I would say as of now in the world, Schumi is probably top 5, he might be the most recognizable overall (recognizable and popularity are two different things though).

Lewis, Seb, Kimi and Alonso are all very popular given they are currently active , and Senna is a mainstay thanks to the film and berks like me who never shut up about him   ;). Only those can rival Schumi in terms of popularity as of right now. The British press are fickle, they hated Senna for years, now most love him. I have found propaganda articles like the one in the Daily Mirror a year or two back only serve to improve Schumi's reputation, as it is hard to agree with something that clearly has an agenda. 

There is a difference between the panto baddie and the real villain though, and I would suggest even the most ardent Schumi critic never really hated him as such. He was more of a panto baddie to them, a bit like a real-life Dick Dastardly for lack of a better comparison. Which is why the F1 community as a whole are all sending their wishes, he was not a bad man by any standard.

#2183 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,707 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 20:10

"@Jamesallenonf1: Ross Brawn tonight on Schumacher - he's stable, there are no negatives and we hope and pray for his recovery"

#2184 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 2,206 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 20:18

I'm very sorry for your loss Study. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

#2185 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 20:24

"@Jamesallenonf1: Ross Brawn tonight on Schumacher - he's stable, there are no negatives and we hope and pray for his recovery"

Thank the lord/ devil. I'm just grateful.

#2186 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,268 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 20:28

Really sorry about your loss study. Take care.

#2187 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 20:45

I'm really sorry about you losing your mum study.

#2188 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 20:54

Really sorry to hear about your mum Study.  :(

#2189 Deerfield

Deerfield

• 102 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 21:40

I hate myself for being so sad about MS' situation. I keep repeating to myself he's not someone who knew me, he's not a relative of mine, not a friend. So, why so sad? I keep repeating to myself it's a childish thing, being sad about a thing like this, except the "normal" sadness reserved to every human being suffering. Still, I can't help but thinking that MS has been a staple for me, from 91, when I was 12 at for the 1st time attended at a F1 race. In the years, I saw every race I could and he was tthere. I read every race  mag I could and more often than not he was in the frontpage. Loved him in 91. Hated him in 94 and 95. Loved at Barcelona in 96. We were with him, following him in the pits at Spa after the crash. I was disgusted by him at Jerez, 2 years before, against Jacques. Simply, he was always there, in good and evil. Then, the entire Ferrari era, and no need to speak more. Even last year, he retired, but in our minds he was not "lost", not out of racing. We were sure he'd do something again. DTM? LM? Starting his own team? All these, before that goddamned rock in the snow. Now, we're prepared for the worst, we're praying for him, and nothing else.Willingly or not, everybody of us race fans had a MS inside. Haters too.  We're left alone and suddenly I feel older. 

#2190 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 21:46

Oana Popoiu@eleanor_ms

They could at least end the speculation by providing some sort of update. It's natural the press will start speculating if, for some reason, they haven't received an update recently.

#2191 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,648 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 21:53

They could at least end the speculation by providing some sort of update. It's natural the press will start speculating if, for some reason, they haven't received an update recently.

I thought speculation is what shut down this thread to begin with?

#2192 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,208 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 22:32

Speaking of, NZ Herald quoting Daily Mail quoting a French outfit saying he's being awakened and is showing responsiveness.

All, I expect, bullshit.

Sadly.

#2193 jondon

jondon

• 617 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 23:47

I am so sad to hear of the loss of your dear mother, I am lucky to have both parents still with me and in relatively good health... I can not imagine the pain and sorrow you are feeling.

#2194 J2NH

J2NH

• 1,937 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 00:12

Study

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your mother.  She and your family will be in my prayers tonight.  

When I am down about the friends and family I have lost over the years I try to remember a good time I had with the person.  It's no substitute but those thoughts can bring a smile to my face.  It helps a little.

#2195 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,458 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:57

All the best Study. Sorry for your loss. Stay strong buddy

#2196 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:19

If what Ross says is true, "no negatives", I find that very encouraging.

@Study, sorry for your loss.

#2197 SchuOz

SchuOz

• 1,658 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:36

Grenoble doctor confirms Schumacher awakening reports.

http://www.motorspor...kening-reports/

#2198 The Passenger

The Passenger

• 1,788 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:09

The BBC sums up the rumours and what's known:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-25943192

"Sabine Kehm told the BBC the seven-time world champion remained in a "stable" condition at a clinic in Grenoble.

She has rejected as "speculation" a French media report saying Schumacher was being woken from his coma."

"He is being kept asleep to reduce swelling."

"Prof Hartstein nevertheless described the champion's current state as encouraging.  "The fact that he is still sedated and not in an unsedated coma is better news than I expected," he told the BBC."

While many of us are clamouring for positive news; or any news, we still must just let Nature and Medicine take their course.

Doesn't stop us hoping like hell for the best, though.

Thinking of you, Michael!

#2199 santori

santori

• 4,108 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:16

I'm very sorry, study. I think we can all understand your meaning.

Advertisement

#2200 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:33

Some official news at last *holding thumbs*

BfOXqkdIYAAzJ9a.jpg