* * * * - 27 votes

Michael Schumacher seriously injured in France

• Please log in to reply
3539 replies to this topic

#1451 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,541 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 17:08

Of course Schumacher will have a different level of care, anyone who thinks otherwise is just plain stupid. Its Michael Schumacher ffs surely people aren't that nieve to think human being are all valued equally? They've already used the term 'pressure' at the hospital, they desperately don't want to make a wrong call on anything and wanna double make sure they do the best thing (because its Michael Schumacher)

This is just nonsense and completely unnecessary. 

Advertisement

#1452 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 17:12

Indeed, helmets are NOT supposed to crack, as it would leave you completely unprotected for any secondary impact following the initial impact. Just common sense guys.

From the telegraph article:

"Emergency workers confirmed that his helmet had split. “When we got there, Schumacher’s helmet was broken and we saw a lot of blood,” one said."

I agree that the helmet shouldn't have cracked open and allowed the rock to penetrate and make contact with Schumachers head.  The fact that there was a lot of blood reported indicates that the helmet was not designed to handle the speed Schumacher was carrying or perhaps the type of impact (with a solid object like a rock) that occured.  

Better helmet standards may be needed to try and stop people from experiencing these serious but 100% preventable injuries.  The best things that can be done right away is for people to understand that these helmets offer only partial protection and to slow down!

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 01 January 2014 - 17:40.

#1453 tifosi

tifosi

• 13,190 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 17:13

I think you will find in most circumstances any patient (speaking for the US), will have the same immediate care.  What makes a huge difference in a person such as Shumacher's case is that he will also have the very best long term care.

Your average Joe, would quite possibly be left to fend for himself, once out of immediate danger.  Very little therapy of long term care would exist other than a warehousing institution.

#1454 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 597 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 17:16

I wasn't talking about God or religion,

"Ok".

This is my first "WTF?" of 2014.

Ahem... anyhow, unless something about Michael Schumacher's condition changes, everything else is kind of soap opera-ish, right?  We are now limited by what comes out officially from the hospital/Sabine Kehm.  He's not getting worse, so let's presume he's going to get better - and get back to discussing 2014 as if that is the case, o.k.? 

#1455 A3

A3

• 20,356 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 17:18

If it was you or me, they wouldn't try to revive someone for over 50 minutes, knowing that after 15 minutes without oxygen, the brain is as good as dead.

You do know that the purpose of CPR is to keep blood flowing to the brain (and other organs) ?

Performing CPR for 38 minutes or longer can improve a patient's chance of surviving cardiac arrest, according to a study presented at the American Heart Association's Scientific Sessions 2013. Sustaining CPR that long also improves the chances that survivors will have normal brain function, researchers said.

http://esciencenews.....cardiac.arrest

#1456 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,628 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 17:29

At the risk of thread hijacking, I thought CPR was fairly ineffective. It can keep you 'alive' but the recovery is somewhat poor.

#1457 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 597 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 17:34

Here in 'Murica, you can plan on about a half hour before an ambulance will arrive, and a long wait for a table/room at the ER if you make it there.  Unless you have insurance that allows you to go to the "right" hospital, of course.  Most doctors are now paid for 30 minute increments, if something is going to exceed that the doctor and the hospital is going to be losing money. 

This is why I no longer ride my mountain bike. 

I suggest this thread be made a sticky for either official news, or people wanting to write tributes (even though he's ALIVE)... but I think this is going to continue to veer off into tangential territory and blur the original intent otherwise.

$.10.

#1458 spin

spin

• 31 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 17:40

From the telegraph article:

"Emergency workers confirmed that his helmet had split. “When we got there, Schumacher’s helmet was broken and we saw a lot of blood,” one said."

I agree that the helmet shouldn't have cracked open and allowed the rock to penetrate and make contact with Schumachers head.  The fact that there was a lot of blood reported indicates that the helmet was not designed to handle the speed Schumacher was carrying or perhaps the type of impact (with a solid object like a rock) that occured.  

Better helmet standards may be needed to try and stop people from experiencing these serious but 100% preventable injurys.  The best things that can be done right away is for people to understand that these helmets offer only partial protection and to slow down!

They didn't specify where the blood was coming from. A person with a head injury would be likely to bleed thru his nose. (Ask Mika Häkkinen about that.)

Like posted before, some helmets are indeed designed to crack at certain point in order to absorb and dissipate energy of the impact. 

About preventable injuries... Michael's injuries suggest there was lots of energy involved in his accident. For all we know the fact that his helmet worked the way it did may have been the factor that gave him the fighting chance. 

Edited by spin, 01 January 2014 - 17:54.

#1459 Sin

Sin

• 1,932 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 17:46

now that I'm back home I can say how shocked I am of this news....

it also gives that song.. I already posted here some times before a whole different sad meaning... and yet it is still a great tribute to Schumi

I can just say, that I got a really bad feeling... and yet I hope he will get better soon

Advertisement

#1460 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,385 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:03

Personally, I will keep praying for Michael's recovery, it is a simple thing for me to do and if there is any chance it will help, I will keep doing it.

Well, it's certainly not going to hurt or make the situation worse, and if it makes you feel better then it can only be a good thing.

Anyhow, good luck Mr Schumacher. Here's hoping for a full recovery.

#1461 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 257 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:04

now that I'm back home I can say how shocked I am of this news....

it also gives that song.. I already posted here some times before a whole different sad meaning... and yet it is still a great tribute to Schumi

I can just say, that I got a really bad feeling... and yet I hope he will get better soon

Yeah, this was made by RTL for his second retirement. I felt so sad back then but I feel even sadder right now. It's hard to describe but Schumi was the hero of my childhood. Strong, unbeatable, coolest guy on earth, .... I really hope he pulls through and recovers completely because it would be so hard to see him disabled or anything like that. He is such a nice human being and he deserves to have a great life with his family.  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: I'm actually crying right now.

Come on Schumi, you can do it. 

#1462 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:05

They didn't specify where the blood was coming from. A person with a head injury would be likely to bleed thru his nose. (Ask Mika Häkkinen about that.)

Like posted before, some helmets are indeed designed to crack at certain point in order to absorb and dissipate energy of the impact. 

About preventable injuries... Michael's injuries suggest there was lots of energy involved in his accident. For all we know the fact that his helmet worked the way it did may have been the factor that gave him the fighting chance. 

Of course his helmet has given him 'the fighting chance' but imo a properly designed helmet would have done alot more than just that.  Nosebleeding theory aside a helmet design that intentionally cracks open to dissipate the energy of impact and risking something such as a rock to penetrate to the wearers head is a very poor design.  A proper multi use helmet similar to his racing helmet would have offered infinitely better protection.  Imo of course.

Ps. Also from the article:

'The accident that has left the seven-times Formula One World Champion fighting for his life would have killed him outright if he had not been wearing a helmet but it only protected him in part, doctors said.'

It only protected him in part according to the doctors as well.

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 01 January 2014 - 18:17.

#1463 A3

A3

• 20,356 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:05

At the risk of thread hijacking, I thought CPR was fairly ineffective. It can keep you 'alive' but the recovery is somewhat poor.

define "effective",

I'm betting that recovery rates are higher with CPR than without. ;)

#1464 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,628 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:09

The quality of life afterwards. It must have been something else than CPR, but it was something that deprived the brain of a lot of blood/oxygen.

#1465 katmen

katmen

• 570 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:12

For someone Very graphic, but very informational video of unfixed brain from recent autopsy.

This video illustrates the mandatory helmet  proper use and how is the brain fragile even only by very gentle touch, it could bring MSC injury of brain to perspective

#1466 Jyllenberg

Jyllenberg

• 64 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:22

And there goes my appetite..

#1467 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 2,688 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:25

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4kz4o7KGsiM

This is a fantastic video, it is a video hyping his comeback in 2009/2010

In the context of recent events it is very moving, 2.10 really got me when I viewed it for the first time a few nights ago.

Edited by sennafan24, 01 January 2014 - 18:32.

#1468 spin

spin

• 31 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:28

Of course his helmet has given him 'the fighting chance' but imo a properly designed helmet would have done alot more than just that.  Nosebleeding theory aside a helmet design that intentionally cracks open to dissipate the energy of impact and risking something such as a rock to penetrate to the wearers head is a very poor design.  A proper multi use helmet similar to his racing helmet would have offered infinitely better protection.  Imo of course.

http://www.msf-usa.o... Wear#howandwhy

#1469 pup

pup

• 440 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:32

Better helmet standards may be needed to try and stop people from experiencing these serious but 100% preventable injuries. 

Sure thing, professor.

#1470 sergeym

sergeym

• 529 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:42

No helmet is 100% effective. It's always compromise of weight (helmet does little good if it is too heavy to use) and protection against different kinds of injuries (sometimes protecting from one type of injury can make another worse).

As we do not really know what exactly happened to Michael i think we should not speculate about helmet quality. 

#1471 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 401 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:44

Just saw the brief mention on BBC 1 news. If every news network, media outlet, has a reporter and camera/ sound crew there just to stand around to give nothing of substance, I can see why the hospital might be less than impressed. Really there's nothing a journalist could ask that a doctor couldn't anticipate and put into a press statement anyway. Sadly our society feeds the media machine, and in turn they give us 57 varieties of the same thing.

Watching the piece on the news, I realised I'm still in shock. So very hard to believe, almost as though the last few days have been some twisted persons idea of a joke. As frelled up as it sounds, I expect my idols to die in mid flow, or grow old (and usually far too gracefully). Tripping over a rock while skiing is... This is probably how people felt when Graham Hill died - It just doesn't feel right, or real. At least so far there's hope of survival, and some form (I pray, in a non religious use of the phrase) of healthy recovery.

As for the preventable - He didn't have to strap a couple of planks to his feet and slide around a mountain. Webber doesn't need to cycle around hillsides. Montoya didn't have to play motorcyle tennis. People do things every day that carry a level of inherent risk, Schumacher has been one of the unlucky ones where a relaxed afternoon has resulted in the second worst (I hope.. He's still breathing) worst case scenario. Or, in short - Shit happens.

#1472 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,425 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:56

Picture from MS rescue (BILD)

4,w=985,c=0.bild.jpg

#1473 bourbon

bourbon

• 5,899 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:56

Get Well Soon Michael! 

Love From Suzuka: 

Bc0Dp2_CYAA0ec1.jpg

Edited by bourbon, 01 January 2014 - 18:57.

#1474 Morbus

Morbus

• 438 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:58

Ps. Also from the article:

'The accident that has left the seven-times Formula One World Champion fighting for his life would have killed him outright if he had not been wearing a helmet but it only protected him in part, doctors said.'

It only protected him in part according to the doctors as well.

I was a cyclist for 7 years and have survived two major head-crashes where I would have died, had I not used a cycling helmet. This helmet in fact:

http://www.met-helme...oad-elite-estro

They are lightweight helmets designed for "low" speed accidents, they are designed to break upon impact to dissipate the force. In fact, they should not be worn after a big impact if they don't break. And they cost 90$ a pop, if I'm not mistaken. Both of my big crashes would have meant death if I had worn one of the helmets that do not break on impact. Image me at 50MPH crashing headfirst into a stationary car. It was a 2002 Opel Corsa, and the windscreen column bent inwards, where my head hit... I didn't faint and was fully conscious after the impact, The other crash was almost very fast, around 40MPH, against the rails on the roadsite, and I hit the head on the side and fainted, but there was no complication after that.

Just to say that, from my very personal experiences, these things save lives. Your worries are unfounded because they break after impact. And on a bike at least, chances are you're not falling off a ravine where you're likely to experience various successive medium-to-high speed impacts.

My two cents.

#1475 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:02

I would agree tha a motorcycle type helmet as discussed in this article would offer better protection, and they are not designed to split or crack open risking penetration from what I read there.

This from Wikipedia regarding ski helmets is quite depressing if true.  They are only tested to 14 MPH?! and haven't reduced fatalaties:

While helmets are effective at preventing or reducing minor injuries, they have not been shown to reduce the number of fatalities despite the fact that as many as 40% of skiers and snowboarders wear helmets. "There is no evidence they reduce fatalities," according to Dr. Jasper Shealy. "We are up to 40 percent usage but there has been no change in fatalities in a 10-year period."[10]

Helmets are tested for effectiveness at about 14 mph (23 km/h), but the typical maximum speed of skiers and snowboarders is approximately twice that speed, with some participants going much faster. At such speeds, impact with a fixed object is likely to be fatal regardless of helmet use. By contrast, in an impact with icy snow wearing a helmet can be the difference between a minor head injury and a significant or life-threatening head injury.[11]

Moreover, helmet use may result in risk compensation i.e. skiers and snowboarders behaving less cautiously when they feel protected by a helmet. One study found that helmeted skiers tend to go faster[12] and helmet-wearing has been associated with self-reports of more risky behavior[13] other studies find that helmet use is not associated with self-reports of riskier behavior.[8][9][14]

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 01 January 2014 - 19:03.

#1476 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,094 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:05

I was a cyclist for 7 years and have survived two major head-crashes where I would have died, had I not used a cycling helmet. This helmet in fact:

http://www.met-helme...oad-elite-estro

They are lightweight helmets designed for "low" speed accidents, they are designed to break upon impact to dissipate the force. In fact, they should not be worn after a big impact if they don't break. And they cost 90$ a pop, if I'm not mistaken. Both of my big crashes would have meant death if I had worn one of the helmets that do not break on impact. Image me at 50MPH crashing headfirst into a stationary car. It was a 2002 Opel Corsa, and the windscreen column bent inwards, where my head hit... I didn't faint and was fully conscious after the impact, The other crash was almost very fast, around 40MPH, against the rails on the roadsite, and I hit the head on the side and fainted, but there was no complication after that.

Just to say that, from my very personal experiences, these things save lives. Your worries are unfounded because they break after impact. And on a bike at least, chances are you're not falling off a ravine where you're likely to experience various successive medium-to-high speed impacts.

My two cents.

I agree, I use carbon fibre shark helmets on my bike. I accidentally dropped my last one from a few feet onto tarmac and it cracked and was unusable afterwards. Any decent helmet will absorb the impact so your head doesn't and be unusable after.

#1477 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,385 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:08

Are you suggesting that one of the world's richest sportmen couldn't afford a better helmet, or diberatly chose to wear an inferior one ? Or that The people who have been designing ski helmets over the last hundred years or so, didn't bother to design one properly ? I know little about skiing, but I think that if you wore a F1 helmet on a slope, the risk of head injuries would decrease, but the risk of serious neck injuries would increase a lot, because of the weight and size of them. I'm certain that Michael and his party all had perfectly adequate safety equipment on. Skiing will always carry an amount of danger and no amount of safety gear will fully negate this.

#1478 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,094 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:23

Photo of the accident site showing the three rocks he hit.
http://www.dailymail...hting-life.html

#1479 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 1,382 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:26

Daily Fail strikes again, with photoshop :/

Advertisement

#1480 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:30

Are you suggesting that one of the world's richest sportmen couldn't afford a better helmet, or diberatly chose to wear an inferior one ? Or that The people who have been designing ski helmets over the last hundred years or so, didn't bother to design one properly ? I know little about skiing, but I think that if you wore a F1 helmet on a slope, the risk of head injuries would decrease, but the risk of serious neck injuries would increase a lot, because of the weight and size of them. I'm certain that Michael and his party all had perfectly adequate safety equipment on. Skiing will always carry an amount of danger and no amount of safety gear will fully negate this.

My issue would be with the design of the helmet which as some have said here is purposely made to split open.  That type of design imo is dangerous as it could allow penetration of a solid object (in this case a rock) to make contact with the wearers head.  With alot of blood at the scene this sadly may have indeed happened to Schumacher.

As for risk, imo only ski to the limits of your vital safety gear.  For me skiing is far to risky a passtime.

#1481 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,769 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:30

I never skied in my life (and after Schumacher's accident, I'm not sure if I ever will). But is it normal for a skiiing piste to have a 'trap' like this, filled with highly dangerous rocks?

article-2531537-1A5E821500000578-490_634

#1482 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,385 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:36

The off piste is clearly marked with big red things, as can be seen on the Bild video.

It also apparently shows the rocks which the seven-time champion struck in the French resort of Meribel on Sunday, leaving him with devastating brain injuries.

Incorrect and sensationalist speculation like that sentence is why I do not tend to allow the Daily Fail into my pub.

#1483 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,628 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:38

Which bit is incorrect?

#1484 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,596 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:43

I never skied in my life (and after Schumacher's accident, I'm not sure if I ever will). But is it normal for a skiiing piste to have a 'trap' like this, filled with highly dangerous rocks?

It's not a trap. What you see is a blue and red  piste  and between them the rocky off track part. It is not too steep, a blue piste we usually call a "cow pasture". It is a relatively slow and easy track, even the red part.

#1485 spin

spin

• 31 posts

I would agree tha a motorcycle type helmet as discussed in this article would offer better protection, and they are not designed to split or crack open risking penetration from what I read there.

Some of them indeed even "crack".

The released statement still just talks about cracked helmet and bleeding but does not combine them. What I understood it was just the first responders describing what they saw upon arriving on the scene of the accident. 

I imagine injuries caused by a rock actually penetrating his helmet would have been obviously severe enough that he'd have been taken directly to a bigger hospital.  

This seems like a useless argument since we don't know facts involved. But we do know the fact that some helmets are designed to crack under heavy impact. And that does not necessarily mean the helmet will just split in halves and roll off your head without doing it's job first. 

Edited by spin, 01 January 2014 - 19:47.

#1486 Schumster

Schumster

• 157 posts

Have to admit, the love-in for Schumacher is immense. Support from all over the world, from legends of the sports, from the Arsenal FC lol and such great words too.

Before I couldn't understand how people would be so sad over Senna's death and how people could have wept so much but looking at Schumi's adulation it makes sense now, he died whilst racing and whilst at his peak on the track, he was a more inspirational, charismatic and mystical person, he was an extremely complex character yet immensly kind and generous. The reaction to his death and his "martyrdom" makes all the more sense now.

#1487 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,161 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:51

FC Arsenal

k4d06q.jpg

Edited by Galko877, 01 January 2014 - 19:52.

#1488 Hans V

Hans V

• 309 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:52

No it's not. I've been skiing a lot in the Austrian Alps and occasionally in the French, Italian and Swiss Alps and cannot remember seeing so many big unprotected rocks close to the slopes, allthough it might look differently on ground. The snow-level might be unusual low. All these big rocks close to the slopes is dangerous if somebody looses controll for a second or have to make avoiding actions. Going off-piste, slaloming between the rocks, well.....

Edited by Hans V, 01 January 2014 - 19:53.

#1489 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,583 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:52

As I've said before, it's a mountain. Mountains have rocks. Now, there are lots of prepared slopes (or piste if you want), some very steep, some almost flat. Most places these come natural, and it's natural places to separate them, very often, places with trees, rocks etc. And it's far from a trap, if it had been at the outside, of a corner on a "black" slope, it would've been very dangerous, but red and blue, no, there is next to no danger in it being there. (With that, I mean, if you don't decide to go off-pist, and test yourself)

#1490 ANF

ANF

• 624 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:54

Photo of the accident site showing the three rocks he hit.
http://www.dailymail...hting-life.html

I can't wait for the televised animations showing a sketchy skier bouncing over the rocks together with carefully detailed descriptions of speed, angle, and g-force. All guesstimates, of course.

#1491 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,628 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:56

Over to you, Taiwan.

#1492 A3

A3

• 20,356 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:59

I can't wait for the televised animations showing a sketchy skier bouncing over the rocks together with carefully detailed descriptions of speed, angle, and g-force. All guesstimates, of course.

CNN had someone ski over the exact place Schumacher crashed.

http://edition.cnn.c...r-ski-route.cnn

#1493 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 658 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 20:04

Great news that he has become a bit more stable.

I predict he will wake up on his birthday. :)

#1494 P0inters

P0inters

• 412 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 20:07

CNN had someone ski over the exact place Schumacher crashed.

http://edition.cnn.c...r-ski-route.cnn

All they seemed to be doing was defending the ski resort. Not the most informative of interviews.

#1495 P0inters

P0inters

• 412 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 20:08

Great news that he has become a bit more stable.

I predict he will wake up on his birthday. :)

How I would ,love that.

#1496 FredrikB

FredrikB

• 528 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 20:08

As for risk, imo only ski to the limits of your vital safety gear.  For me skiing is far to risky a passtime.

So you have none or very limited experence of skiing but still think you know more than most about skiing helmets?

#1497 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,385 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 20:12

Which bit is incorrect?

Well maybe it's not incorrect, but the term devastating brain injuries seems to be overly sensationalist. In fact the whole tone of the damn article is. None of the decent news sites use the term, fighting for his life. The Guardian, the BBC, the Telegraph, CNN are focussing on the positive aspects, but the Fail is trying to make the situation as dramatic as possible.

#1498 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,628 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 20:19

It was either Monday or Tuesday and every BBC Radio bulletin was leading with Schumacher "fighting for his life".

EVEYONE is making this as dramatic as possible. You'd think the Pope split his head open rather than a retired sportsman. Did you see the photos of the press and Sabine Kehm? 

#1499 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,849 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 20:38

Have to admit, the love-in for Schumacher is immense. Support from all over the world, from legends of the sports, from the Arsenal FC lol and such great words too.

Before I couldn't understand how people would be so sad over Senna's death and how people could have wept so much but looking at Schumi's adulation it makes sense now, he died whilst racing and whilst at his peak on the track, he was a more inspirational, charismatic and mystical person, he was an extremely complex character yet immensly kind and generous. The reaction to his death and his "martyrdom" makes all the more sense now.

It is indeed interesting, why the fate and death of our Formula 1 heroes draws such an over proportional reaction from large parts of society, even those who do not have anything to do with the sport.

Could it be that the man & machine scenario, symbolizing our modern day, together with the fact that they are like fighters entering the arena or knights entering the arena of knight's games is something deep inborn in us since thousands of years, in many civilizations, and thus evokes such an enormous reaction of concern for those modern knights?

Apart from Senna, Rindt and Clark come to mind, Princess Diana and JFK.

The death of Michael Jackson made enormous ripples as well, but not of the kind of a Senna, Diana or JFK.

Luckily Michael has every chance to survive, although I urgently hope to hear good news within the next two days. If it goes on for too long, it might end tragic.

Advertisement

#1500 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,385 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 20:40

It was either Monday or Tuesday and every BBC Radio bulletin was leading with Schumacher "fighting for his life".

EVEYONE is making this as dramatic as possible. You'd think the Pope split his head open rather than a retired sportsman. Did you see the photos of the press and Sabine Kehm?

Just compare that Daily Fail story to any of the quality press. The tone is wildly different, it really is.