Photo

Marcos in competition

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RemcoB

RemcoB

• 6 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 16:47

As I'm currently installing a Lotus Twin Cam in my 1968 Marcos 1600GT, I would be interested to know about any competition history of a Marcos with this engine. I was told such a car raced at Zandvoort in the early seventies, but found nobody to confirm that story. 

Also, I’m looking for information about the car Marcos brought to the Le Mans test weekend in ’68 – not the XP, which raced at Spa that year but didn’t finish. The test weekend car was basically an 1800GT with a bigger engine (B20) and several aerodynamic modifications: a longer nose, large vents in the bonnet etc. It didn’t do well during the weekend; alledgedly due to a misfire it wasn’t nearly as fast as Jem Marsh hoped it would be. Marsh therefore didn’t enter it for the race. I believe it was used later mainly for clubsport events and was damaged when it was rolled. Some years ago it was sold to Sweden where it was restored. If anyone has more information or pictures I would be much obliged.

Remco Bruins

Edited by RemcoB, 30 December 2013 - 16:47.

Advertisement

#2 marclaus

marclaus

• 34 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 18:53

http://imgur.com/IYGuiw6

picture uploading does not work....sorry

Twin Cam engines were rather uncommon for any Marcos, race-cars preferred the Volvo 1800 and earlier models as Gullwing and Fastback  (homologated in period) the Cosworth precrossflow screamers . As the 1800 Volvo Marcos unfortunately  never was homologated in period, some competitors shurly ran them with other engines in some national events.

Edited by marclaus, 30 December 2013 - 19:04.