- - - - -

Supercross 2014

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1 shotcaller

shotcaller

• 296 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 22:40

Anaheim 1 is this Saturday.  A lot of contenders this year: The Ryans, James, Chad, BamBam and two other youngsters stepping up, Roczen and Tomac. Two other contenders have off season injuries and won't start, Millsaps and Canard. Canard seems to be following Stewart's path of frequent injuries.

If most of the group can stay healthy it should be one hell of an entertaining season. :clap:

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,749 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 22:45

Good call on having a thread. Not sure if I'll follow every race this year as the every week schedule is pretty punishing from a sofa perspective but I'll definitely keep an eye out here. Remember, this is what MotoGP riders watch during the off-season.

Justin Barcia is gnarly and I enjoy watching Reed pull it out season after season. Hell of a line-up.

Who are the young riders to watch in the 250 Lites championships? Tomac and Roczen aside I was pretty disappointed by last year's up-and-comers.

Edited by Risil, 02 January 2014 - 22:46.

#3 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 00:36

Cant wait, even thogh its tough tog et decent coverage in the UK, was able to watch most rounds on tube.

Hoping someone can give Ryan a race, but even if not watching that lad simply out riding everyone is cool, last year he as so dominant!

Roczen should be good, and the Tomc should be too after a few 450 rides. Millsaps was awesome last year, and surely Wiemer cant have more chances, here is hoping Yamaha too can get a better season.

#4 dave34m

dave34m

• 814 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:54

Is there live coverage online anywhere, I see on the SX website they say TV coverage at 10pm

#5 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:54

Probably on ESPN or Fox, not sure, I think it might get shown on a pay channel here, but I doubt it, it is usually shown on Motors about a year after the event !!

Best to find some friendly guy on youtube, the promoters dont seem to fussy about it being on there thankfully, unlike the rest of em

#6 shotcaller

shotcaller

• 296 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 00:58

Who are the young riders to watch in the 250 Lites championships? 

I haven't been able to find a list of the 250 (lites) riders for this year but there was this one kid who was very entertaining in last year's motocross but I can't remember his name.  Maybe it will come to me.

#7 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,883 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:48

gnarly

Swagarific.

Great ride all night by Ken Doll. I'll pull for him this year since Davi is hurt. JS7 never disappoints, does he? Glad he's okay. Same for Villopoto who's doing his usual early season handicapping. What's up with Barcia's starts? Seems like he was spending too much time catching up last season too.

The lites race was exciting but overall I'm not too stoked about the class this year. Seely has had plenty of time to impress and hasn't really. Dean Wilson is probably too old to turn into anything great at this point and is more of an outdoor guy. There are a couple of young guys that could get better as the season goes though.

#8 dave34m

dave34m

• 814 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:40

Gutted by Bubba's crash, hoping for a good year for him

#9 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 13:40

Where were the other main guys, Canard? Millsapps?  Tomac?

Fair play to Roczen, rode real well made few mistakes, wasnt the quickest.

Stewart doing what he has for last few years just going to quick, not sure whatw as up with RV, seemed well off the boil after the crash, maybe hurt himself or the bike.

#10 shotcaller

shotcaller

• 296 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 15:56

Where were the other main guys, Canard? Millsapps?  Tomac?

Two other contenders have off season injuries and won't start, Millsaps and Canard

Tomac was crashed into during the heat race and went to the doctors because his arm went numb. He didn't make the race.

Edited by shotcaller, 06 January 2014 - 15:56.

#11 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 16:57

Aha, I see a few guys were hurt aswell, Millsapps didnt start!

#12 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 20:46

HOW ABOUT THAT?????  :D  :up:   gO kEnny gO!!

1604649_10152199557270917_673599525_n.jp

Didn't know this thread existed.  Awesome to have an SX thread on here.  :up:

Edited by bourbon, 10 January 2014 - 20:49.

#13 spaz

spaz

• 45 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:45

Love the supercross, great racing. if you wait until Tuesday usually some good HD replays on youtube. 250 main was awesome even without tomac and Kenny.
Let's hope we get to see tomac in the main, he was so impressive in the outdoors 2013.

#14 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:46

RIP Kasper Lynggaard  :cry:  

12-21_Kasper_Lynggaard%5BAlex_Hodgkinson

#15 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 19:30

Thoughts with Kasper's family and friends. 

#16 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:33

Here we go, Hope Roczsen got that corner started on that red vinyl cause he is gonna be peeling that off tonight !!!  :p

#17 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,883 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:19

Looks like it's either Villopoto or Barcia tonight. Both guys were less than perfect last weekend though.

#18 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:45

Great job bringing it from the rear by RV!  Roczen got Barcia'ed  :o  But good race.  And yeah, Roczen will now have to start peeling.  But he'll be back !  :up:

#19 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 17:50

I disagree, RV looked ragged at the end of that race, made a lot of mistakes and Brayton could have had him on the woops, he was miles quicker through there. Quicker than anyone there actually.

Great racing earlier with Barcia and Roczen etc, was a great little battle. And Stewart again, just gives up it seems, never seem to be able to maintain it anymore.

I think Dungey needs to really work on his aggression, is he too nice?  Is he not confident enough to throw it in there?  Barcia is over confident and taking people down happily!!

Fair play to Brayton though, thats the best I have seen him ride for years, reminds me a bit of Millsaps last year, these guys just need to believe they can beat RV, he is there to be beat.

As for Reed, game over man, just quit already, 30 seconds behind the winner on the same bike!  lol

Advertisement

#20 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 22:24

Oh I dont really think anyone will be able to beat RV for the title, but I think if a few guys get in there and mess him up he might crack a bit more like Stewart has done, these guys are not machines, McGrath was the closest to that, even GOAT made mistakes indoors far more than out.

I just feel he is there for the taking if one guy makes that step and does what he did a few years back, commits utterly. RV rides so close to the edge that if you push him you can beat him, but that measn you have to ride that way too, Dungey is able to get close but is so weak at passing he loses out despite I think being stronger at the end of races, I seriously think Dungey with aggression could beat up RV.

#21 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:08

I disagree, RV looked ragged at the end of that race, made a lot of mistakes and Brayton could have had him on the woops, he was miles quicker through there. Quicker than anyone there actually.

Great racing earlier with Barcia and Roczen etc, was a great little battle. And Stewart again, just gives up it seems, never seem to be able to maintain it anymore.

I think Dungey needs to really work on his aggression, is he too nice?  Is he not confident enough to throw it in there?  Barcia is over confident and taking people down happily!!

Fair play to Brayton though, thats the best I have seen him ride for years, reminds me a bit of Millsaps last year, these guys just need to believe they can beat RV, he is there to be beat.

As for Reed, game over man, just quit already, 30 seconds behind the winner on the same bike!  lol

I dunno, Stewart was set to win the first race and finished 4th in phoenix while he was sick.

#22 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,883 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:18

I dunno, I'm not quite ready to believe that Stewie is going to be a regular winner again. I might change my mind if he wins a race or two.

#23 repete

repete

• 347 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:26

it would be great if old stew came back, but I don't see that happening. Dungey is far too reserved. So I think its another poto season unless stew finds speed or dungey gets aggressive.

#24 GregAU

GregAU

• 543 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 22:15

A thread right up my ally...been a dirt bike rider/racer most of my life (inc SX in the 2-stroke days).

Being an Aussie an pretty much watching Chad grow up through the junior circuit I obviously have a deep seated bias and his longevity is and achievments are truly phenominal, but I also enjoy the racing even though Chad is at his twilight.

Pheonix was a letdown from that POV and will be interesting to see how CR bounces back or not for the rest of the season...I think he has a good base package this year and going by his interviews from A1 it's obvious ("only one or two on the clickers") he isnt chasing setup at the moment.  But yeah...after A1, Pheonix was a disaster.  30 seconds behind the winner and not a thing on his Twitter since pre race last week.  I really think he has had his day and the competition has evolved to a point that at the stage of  Chad's career, he possibly isnt able to step up his pace.  Nothing wrong with that at all, he is a multi champion and nothing to prove.  He still has the passion but has stated that he wont be back if there is a 2013 repeat.  Be great to see him get a win but I am realistic :)

Anyway...

Biggest surprise for me at Rd2 was obviously Brayton, but I think that track was hard to pass on so a good start was key.  Aside from that he had definite speed, eg the whoop section.

From what I can see already though is it's obvious that RV is the man to beat, even though Kenny now has Alden Baker as his trainer.

It's almost like he owns the track now and everyone knows it.  His passes on JS, RD and also Matt Moss were depressing to watch...was like the dominant wolf coming through and all 3 seemed to just yield and accept.

Dungey...ARGH the commentators always state it but it's  because it's so obvious.  He has great speed but just gets stuck in other riders grooves and if he doesnt work on this agression it will be his legacy.  I think once again RD is the only one to take it to RV but unless he works out this aggression stuff he iwll always be brides maid.

Great racing though...did anyone think that Barcia's takedown of Kenny was deliberate?  I've watched it about a dozen times and it's obvious he checks up and drifts out wide, and if you look carefully there seems to be a brief instance when he looks over just a little to check where Kenny is...at the very least he can hear Kennys bike...really looked deliberate and Barcia has always had a reputation for being dirty and a completee douche.  Was good to see JB get punted from piller to post and go backwards in the field after trying moves on RD and Brayton so it seems that dirty riding wont get him far in the 450s, but that move on Kenny was crap and hope for some payback.

As for the 250s.  Damn I love this category.  Poor Cole "My tummy hurts" Seely.

I'm a big fan of Cole but laughed so hard at that interview...the guy was shattered but he was BRINGIN IT!!!  He will win a main this season and possibly the championship but Andereson is the guy to beat right now (also a fan of his)  and of course so many others you cant factor out.  They say the 450's are stacked but so is this division of 250's.  Mookie, Wilson, Hill, Webb...damn what a season.

GO CHAD!!!!

Edited by GregAU, 15 January 2014 - 22:24.

#25 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 22:47

No way Barcia did that on purpose, if you believe that you need your head checked. It was all Rocszen's own doing. It happens.

#26 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 387 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 23:09

I haven't really followed Supercross or Motocross in several years, since RC was retiring and Bubba was ascending.  I noticed that they finally seem to be getting solid tv coverage, so I figured I'd check it out.  So far I was pleasantly surprised with the first two rounds.  I became a huge KTM fan when Grant Langston came over here and almost won the title (by the way, 2001 has to be the greatest ever motocross season.. RC vs Vuillemin, Tortelli, KW, Tim Ferry, and then Grant vs Mike Brown and TP in 125's.. good times).  So yea, its great to see KTM having success in the main class.  I have no idea who Ken Roczen is, but I like him.  I just hope Villopoto doesn't walk with the title, as that is what turned me off to Supercross and Motocross to begin with.

#27 GregAU

GregAU

• 543 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 23:24

No way Barcia did that on purpose, if you believe that you need your head checked. It was all Rocszen's own doing. It happens.

Dont need my head checked it's based on reality :).  If you think Barcia is not a deliberately dirty rider, watch the last 3 seasons of 250 class...aslo google "Barcia vs Aranada Bercy supercross 2011 youtube".

:wave:

Having said that I dont mind him and think his maturity has come a long way, but his history (as well as that move on Kenny) stinks.

Edited by GregAU, 15 January 2014 - 23:25.

#28 PhilG

PhilG

• 483 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 23:29

What race were you watching ........Barcia was going to put him on the floor as soon as he came onto the start straight....

Dungey needs to learn how to pull the pin

#29 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 23:35

What race were you watching ........Barcia was going to put him on the floor as soon as he came onto the start straight....

Dungey needs to learn how to pull the pin

This one... watch it again... KR goes out wide and comes back into JB's rear wheel...  :drunk:

#30 GregAU

GregAU

• 543 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 21:59

This one... watch it again... KR goes out wide and comes back into JB's rear wheel...  :drunk:

Then Emig (multi-time champion) calls that Barcia brake checked KR.

/end argument  ;)

hehe

Anyways...looking forward to this weekends race.  Loving that we can get live over here in Australia now through Foxtel...I just use that Foxtel Play app through my Samsung telly and works flawless.

Edited by GregAU, 16 January 2014 - 22:00.

#31 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:59

Then Emig (multi-time champion) calls that Barcia brake checked KR.

/end argument  ;)

hehe

Anyways...looking forward to this weekends race.  Loving that we can get live over here in Australia now through Foxtel...I just use that Foxtel Play app through my Samsung telly and works flawless.

Yea after he say's KR doesn't check up enough, JB was on the gas you can see by the roost. Get over it, this is racing. The vitriolic comments about JB are well off the mark. Look at KR the corner before that throwing his bike in. JB checks up like a boss !! This is standard stuff.

#32 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:51

Justin Barcia's crf450r for tonight !!! Throw back week.

BarciaBike-1.jpg

For those who have not seen this cool video. :up:

#33 GregAU

GregAU

• 543 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 22:39

Haha love it talk about going all out!!!  Although not sure about the fork boots  ;)

Wonder if Emig will be sporting the frow.

Thanks for the links :up:

Edited by GregAU, 18 January 2014 - 22:40.

#34 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 23:57

Haha love it talk about going all out!!!  Although not sure about the fork boots  ;)

Wonder if Emig will be sporting the frow.

Thanks for the links :up:

Actually Jimmy Albertson AKA Ronnie Mac will be riding with a custom painted Jeff Emig schemed Helmet !! Keep an eye out. I'm going out for dinner with my chick atm otherwise i would dig up a picture. 

I also saw a #2 jeremy Mcgrath 1800collect livery in the honda pits... i dunno who else is riding a #2 tonight.

Edited by MP422, 18 January 2014 - 23:59.

#35 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:16

Wow !!!!! what a race !!!! NJ Reedy  !!!!!! Awesome run by JS7 as well..... Maybe Villopoto could win if he could stay on the bike !!!!! 

#36 TDN

TDN

• 196 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:23

Great race. Reedy still showing he's got fight. Mega through the whoops again, but also great through the rhythm sections. Setup that pass on Stewart just perfect. Villopoto clearly the class of the field - but so needlessly reckless.

Edited by TDN, 19 January 2014 - 09:14.

#37 PhilG

PhilG

• 483 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 13:29

Yea after he say's KR doesn't check up enough, JB was on the gas you can see by the roost. Get over it, this is racing. The vitriolic comments about JB are well off the mark. Look at KR the corner before that throwing his bike in. JB checks up like a boss !! This is standard stuff.

He was hard on the brakes, just threw it in front of KRoc , who was going to ride the cushion same as everyone else on the wide line.. if Barcia was on the gas he would have blown straight by and ended up in the cheap seats.

Good to see him get some back this weekend, was hoping Roczen would have out him down in the heat and sent him to the Semi..

#38 shotcaller

shotcaller

• 296 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 00:13

Just watched my recording of the race, it was great fun. I want to see Ryan V. really have to work for it this year. So happy for Chad after the mess that was last year.

#39 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,883 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 15:19

30 seconds? Isn't that about how far Villopoto was behind Reed this week?  :cat:

Advertisement

#40 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 19:17

30 seconds? Isn't that about how far Villopoto was behind Reed this week?  :cat:

Right on, Some just don't understand this sport and the factors these men have to deal with. Amazing win by Reedy.

When Villopoto tried to pass Stewart, it sure looked like JS put his boot on RV's fork and pushed.  It was an aggressive move by RV, but the push seemed overly aggressive on JS's part.  Dungey's last corner stunt seemed to be one of desperation.  Amazing that neither of them lost position. If this is Dungey when he's being aggressive, he either needs to stick to patience or get used to being on the dirt.

Happy to see Reed win again, and show that he still has it.   

Yea he stuck his leg into his spinning wheels.....  Geez man. He's lucky he didn't break his leg. JS7 rode a great race controlling his pace unfortunately he underestimated Reedy.  If you have ever ridden a MX bike... or even watched the sport you would see how a rider sticks their inside leg out towards the front axle while turning. Villopoto maybe shouldn't have been so close in his aggressive pass, but i don't think that's wrong he's just fighting for the win. I said this before and i'll say it again...  This is racing. 

Edited by MP422, 20 January 2014 - 19:20.

#41 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 22:56

A little harsh, he was 30 seconds behind coz he binned it twice, not cioz he was slower as the week before

Fair play to reed, no idea where that came from, but it was superb.

RV as I say loks to be struggling a bit mroe this year, Roczen beat him up a bit, and Dungeyw as away before throwing it away.

Only one who looks a bit weak is Stewart, he is almost there but jusy doesnt lok quite right yet.

Be great if Reed can keep this up

#42 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:18

I've been watching motocross/supercross since the late 70's when my dad raced as an amateur.  I'm well aware that riders put their leg out while turning.

From this picture it looks like JS has his boot on the fork leg, which is not where you want it if you were trying to turn. 

hwwkg2.png

Do a screenshot of 38 seconds....  :rotfl:  all that time watching wasted apparently. You can clearly see his boot behind the fork tube.

Edited by MP422, 21 January 2014 - 01:27.

#43 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,883 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:38

I've been watching motocross/supercross since the late 70's when my dad raced as an amateur.  I'm well aware that riders put their leg out while turning.

From this picture it looks like JS has his boot on the fork leg, which is not where you want it if you were trying to turn. 

hwwkg2.png

So you missed the part where Villopoto dildoed into Stewart and his tire pulled James' boot up into the fork? 

James is fortunate that it didn't tweak his knee or anything.

#44 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 1,841 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:06

all that time watching wasted apparently.

I'm sorry that while watching something I didn't see it perfectly clear.  But most of all, I'm sorry that you insist on being a condescending prick when having a discussion about a sport we both love.  If this is what passes for acceptable on this thread, I'll do without.  Enjoy the season.  I know I will.

#45 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 387 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 15:13

Reed showed RV how to properly make a pass.  That was a great race from Reed.

#46 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 19:40

Reed showed RV how to properly make a pass.  That was a great race from Reed.

Yea i'm really happy for him, He needed that win for his self belief because at the beginning of this season he was talking about if this year didn't go so well he may think about retiring. I wanna see another year out of Reedy. He is a good guy met him at Southwick last year.  :up:

#47 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:59

450's coming up now !!  :clap:

#48 spaz

spaz

• 45 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 20:51

Just watched all rd4 heats and mains , loved the way some of them managed the quad, just brilliant racing, 250s also. So glad AMA let it all onto youtube. What's with dean Wilson accent? Sounds strange.

#49 PhilG

PhilG

• 483 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 21:02

he a scot that has lived in canada since he was 7 or 8... 

Watching it on you tube is cheating .... you have to stay up all night and watch it live..

:rotfl:

#50 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 21:33

Just watched all rd4 heats and mains , loved the way some of them managed the quad, just brilliant racing, 250s also. So glad AMA let it all onto youtube. What's with dean Wilson accent? Sounds strange.

Js7 was hitting it with style !!!  :clap: