* * * * * 1 votes

GP2 2014

• Please log in to reply
1204 replies to this topic

#1 Anja

Anja

• 10,257 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:22

No 2014 topic yet, so I figured I'll start it.

Calendar for this season includes two new races (Austria and Russia in place of Malaysia and Singapore) and goes as follows:

1. Sakhir (Bahrain) - 5-6 April

2. Barcelona (Spain) - 10-11 May

3. Monaco - 23-24 May

4. Red Bull Ring (Austria) - 21-22 June

5. Silverstone (UK) - 5-6 July

6. Hockenheim (Germany) - 19-20 July

7. Hungaroring (Hungary) - 26-27 July

8. Spa (Belgium) - 23-24 August

9. Monza (Italy) - 6-7 September

10. Sochi (Russia) - 11-12 October

11. Yas Marina (Abu Dhabi) - 22-23 November

As for the teams, we have one change - Campos Racing is back in the place of Addax.

Drivers confirmed so far:

Carlin: Julian Leal

DAMS: Jolyon Palmer / Stephane Richelmi

ART: Stoffel Vandoorne / Takuya Izawa

Hilmer: Daniel Abt / Facu Regalia

Rapax: Simon Trummer

Arden: Rene Binder / Andre Negrao

Caterham: Alexander Rossi / Rio Haryanto

MP Motorsport: Daniel De Jong

Campos: Arthur Pic / Kimiya Sato

Edited by Anja, 16 February 2014 - 22:08.

Advertisement

#2 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:39

They only thing that could give GP2 any credibility this year is if both Vandoorne, Marciello and/or Frijns are on the grid, otherwise it will potentially be the worst field in GP2's history the way things are shaping up. 

#3 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:08

They only thing that could give GP2 any credibility this year is if both Vandoorne, Marciello and/or Frijns are on the grid, otherwise it will potentially be the worst field in GP2's history the way things are shaping up. 

Every year it is said that GP2 is getting worse and this is the worst line-up. How low can it go?  :p

#4 Anja

Anja

• 10,257 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:20

In terms of drivers and competition WSbR is already equal (if not better) to GP2 and the only reason the latter is still considered to be more prestigious are the ties to FIA and FOM - and therefore far better coverage. WSbR coverage is simply awful and because of that it doesn't receive the recognition it deserves.

#5 Snic

Snic

• 571 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:24

Nasr Vs Vandoorne would be interesting.  Can see Marciello going into FR3.5 though.  

GP2 is a dying category, ridiculous idea to put high deg tyres in a feeder series which should be all about raw speed.  Let them drive to deltas when they arrive in Formula 1.

#6 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:32

GP2 needs to be as relevant to F1 as possible. Minus the cost bit. 

#7 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:52

Disagree. GP2 (and other junior categories) should be about giving the best and fastest drivers the chance to show their potential, with as little distortion as possible. Severe tyre conservation is something that a fast driver can learn in F1, you can not on the other hand teach a driver who's good on their tyres how to drive fast. 

That, along with the reverse grid races, is why i think FR3.5 is a significantly better series for both young drivers to race in and as a series to spot the best young drivers. Not to mention the that's its significantly cheaper, these are all the reason's why Red Bull, Mclaren and potentially Ferrari are placing their young drivers in FR3.5 and not GP2. 

#8 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 14:20

That, along with the reverse grid races, is why i think FR3.5 is a significantly better series for both young drivers to race in and as a series to spot the best young drivers. Not to mention the that's its significantly cheaper, these are all the reason's why Red Bull, Mclaren and potentially Ferrari are placing their young drivers in FR3.5 and not GP2. 

I thought the Red Bull drivers, at least, did FR3.5 over GP2 so they could do friday practice on F1 weekends?

#9 Zava

Zava

• 7,115 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 14:24

I thought the Red Bull drivers, at least, did FR3.5 over GP2 so they could do friday practice on F1 weekends?

one of the many reasons. being cheaper is another, being the no1 partner (semi-works team actually) of renault as well.

#10 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 14:26

Why is GP2 so expensive? They run spec cars? Has the governing body failed on it?

#11 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,330 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 14:56

Nasr Vs Vandoorne would be interesting.  Can see Marciello going into FR3.5 though.  

GP2 is a dying category, ridiculous idea to put high deg tyres in a feeder series which should be all about raw speed.  Let them drive to deltas when they arrive in Formula 1.

I thought high deg tyres and deltas were unfashionable now?

I'd like to see GP2 adopt similar powertrain regulations to F1 2014 but I don't think they will. Maybe teams will turn to LMP racing for driver recruitment.

#12 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 18:11

I'd say if they insist on keeping the high deg tyres, at least get rid of the mandatory pitstop rule. I caught a race, pretty sure it was Spa of last season, and someone stayed out and was leading, with Bird(?) who was to all intents and purposes the leader catching him towards the end on fresher rubber having made a stop. In the end the actual leader just waved him by because he was forced to pit by the regulations on the final lap anyway, whereas it would have been fun to see if he could have made a race of it on the alternate strategy.

And agree with above that I'm not sure why a spec series is so expensive also, seems like the worst of both worlds, whether its the flyaways or what Dallara charge (or what the organisers cream off)

Edited by FerrariV12, 03 January 2014 - 18:11.

#13 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,115 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 19:45

Eagerly awaiting to see who this year's champion will be... and how he won't make it into F1.

Edited by OvDrone, 03 January 2014 - 19:45.

#14 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 20:12

Eagerly awaiting to see who this year's champion will be... and how he won't make it into F1.

Problem is that there just isn't any seats. There are a bunch of young, talented drivers are not getting the shaft, just not getting the luck to go their way. 

And in all reality, F2/F3000/GP2 has always been the overpriced playground for F1 wannabes. A lot of talent, but not a lot of F1 results. 

Hopefully a move away from the sorta-struggling ART team can do wonder for Abt. Looked good in GP3 and FR3.5, but just was absent from the results last season. 

Edited by HaydenFan, 03 January 2014 - 20:13.

#15 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 20:29

I never followed GP2 because I wanted to see which drivers move up the ladder (frankly coz I really really don't care) so in the end it was pretty meaningless who's where doing what up there. I watched it as most of the time the racing was rather exciting and without a doubt better than anything else sharing the same track on GP weekend... the cars looked fine, were easy to pull of passes and you had all kind of weird shenanigans happening. But then the third gen HRT-clone Dallara was a total failure and then they adopted the artificial show tire crap rules from that other series. Boring. Turned off.

Edited by SonnyViceR, 03 January 2014 - 20:33.

#16 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,330 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 20:41

And in all reality, F2/F3000/GP2 has always been the overpriced playground for F1 wannabes. A lot of talent, but not a lot of F1 results.

Probably, although there was some serious talent around in the early years both of GP2 and spec-Lola F3000 (1997-9ish).

Edited by Risil, 03 January 2014 - 20:41.

#17 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 21:07

No 2014 topic yet, so I figured I'll start it.

Calendar for this season includes two new races (Austria and Russia in place of Malaysia and Singapore) and goes as follows:

I don't understand why they went out there in the first place. It's not like there's the big bonus F1 teams get, it's just a pointless expense for GP2.

Disagree. GP2 (and other junior categories) should be about giving the best and fastest drivers the chance to show their potential, with as little distortion as possible. Severe tyre conservation is something that a fast driver can learn in F1, you can not on the other hand teach a driver who's good on their tyres how to drive fast. 

There's one reason Red Bull and the like have turned to FR3.5 and that's cost. If GP2 suddenly became cheaper, suddenly all those other reasons would disappear.

Why is GP2 so expensive? They run spec cars? Has the governing body failed on it?

GP2 charges an increasingly extortionate amount for the cars and spare parts, apparently far higher than any other spec series. Added to that, as it is linked to F1 there is no shortage of drivers willing to pay to participate, so many teams just auction off the seats.

#18 plumtree

plumtree

• 1,082 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 22:07

I read somewhere either Marko or someone from McLaren said getting more track time was one of the biggest advantages of competing in FR3.5. Young drivers need track time. Two practice sessions, two qualifying sessions (aren't they all longer than equivalent sessions of GP2?) and two races per race weekend, which is probably one of reasons why rookies have slightly easier time in FR3.5 series. I suspect it's physically impossible to assign more time to GP2 with normally a few other support races going on during a European grand prix weekend. Still it has to be a disadvantage for GP2 series, IMO.

#19 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 22:09

Drivers confirmed so far:

DAMS: Jolyon Palmer / Stephane Richelmi

Hilmer: Daniel Abt

Rapax: Simon Trummer

Arden: Rene Binder

Campos: Arthur Pic

The current Formula Renault 3.5 line-up looks superior to me:

Arden - Pierre Gasly

DAMS - Norman Nato, Carlos Sainz Jr

Fortec - Oliver Rowland

Lotus - Matthieu Vaxiviere

Draco - Pietro Fantin

Marciello is pretty much certain as well.

Advertisement

#20 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,813 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 15:16

That's what I guess:

Russian Time: Tom Dillmann (?) – Mitch Evans (?)

Carlin: Felipe Nasr (?) – Jazeman Jaafar (?)

Racing Engineering: Rio Haryanto (?) – André Negrão (?)

DAMS: Stéphane Richelmi – Jolyon Palmer

Hilmer: Daniel Abt – Facundo Regalia (?)

Rapax: Simon Trummer – Sandy Stuvik (?)

ART: Conor Daly (?) – Stoffel Vandoorne (?)

Arden: René Binder – Julián Leal (?)

Caterham: Alexander Rossi (?) – Will Stevens (?)

Trident: Giovanni Venturini (?) – Giacomo Raimondo (?)

MP: Daniël de Jong (?) – Tio Ellinas (?)

Campos: Arthur Pic – Denis Nagulin (?)

Lazarus: Johnny Cecotto jr. (?) – Nikolay Martsenko (?)

#21 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 15:22

If all those question marks would get confirmed (big if), that would actually be a not too terrible talent pool with Nasr, Evans, Vandoorne, Rossi, Ellinas, possibly Regalia and Daly, the guys to watch... albeit other than at that pointy end of the talent spectrum, the rest of the field does still look rather poor!

#22 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 15:32

Does Nasr have any money? OGX pretty much disappeared.

#23 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 16:17

That's what I guess:

I loved arguing these last off season. Lets cut through this like soft butter.

RUSSIAN TIME: Evans will have a seat somewhere. Still say it will be with Arden though. But does Tom Dillmann have money? And he's not good enough for a team to hire him like Sam Bird last season.

Carlin: They like to promote from within, so very likely. Especially as Nasr is unable to move up. 

DAMS: For one of the strongest teams, they have definitely taken a step back the last 2 years. Palmer has won a couple of races, but daddy's money sure has gotten him far. Next Chilton?

Rapax: Stuvik ready for GP2? Will say he will move to EuroF3 or GP3 before making the step up. F3 Open is competitive, but not with many top rated talents.

ART: Daly has said he can't do Europe. He's looking at IndyCar, but odds are not in his favor. Will most likely end up with a part time or Indy 500 only schedule. 

Caterham: Stevens back to a Caterham backed team? While cut by Red Bull led to his removal from the Caterham/Arden team in 2012, just not the right fit. As for Rossi. He should be getting the F1 seat. While not a title front runner, I'd say his last 3 years running FR3.5 and GP2 have more than earned him a chance. 

MP: Don't think the deJong family owns the team, but has been his team since early in FR2.0. Unless money becomes a huge issue, it's his seat. Ellinas? Not a clue. Fell apart late in the season, and I think that will effect his advancement in moving up (or finding funds). 

And will Cecotto just turn to touring cars like his father? At least when he crashes into someone else, it won't necessarily spell the end of the race for someone else. 

#24 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,813 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 16:25

Does Nasr have any money? OGX pretty much disappeared.

Source?

#25 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,813 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 16:26

RUSSIAN TIME: Evans will have a seat somewhere. Still say it will be with Arden though. But does Tom Dillmann have money? And he's not good enough for a team to hire him like Sam Bird last season.

ART: Daly has said he can't do Europe. He's looking at IndyCar, but odds are not in his favor. Will most likely end up with a part time or Indy 500 only schedule. 

For Russian Time driver don't need money.

Daly not in Europe - do you have a source for that?

#26 CrossF1

CrossF1

• 97 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 16:54

That's what I guess:

I expect Caterham's line-up to be Haryanto - Stevens, with Rossi being a 3rd driver in F1 (with some milage, as planned for 2013 originally).

Venturini recently tweeted  "Every day that passes it becomes more difficult... #2014?", so it doesn't look good for him. And I expect Stuvik to race in GP3

Caterham: Stevens back to a Caterham backed team? While cut by Red Bull led to his removal from the Caterham/Arden team in 2012, just not the right fit. As for Rossi. He should be getting the F1 seat. While not a title front runner, I'd say his last 3 years running FR3.5 and GP2 have more than earned him a chance. 

Erm, Stevens is a member of Caterham Young Driver Programme, so it would be a pretty logical fit. Think you confused him with Lewis Williamson.

Russian Time wants Markelov in GP2. +Daly has openly said multiple times through interviews and through his Twitter account that he doesn't have the budget so he will most certainly not race for ART unless they give him a seat for free (in which I doubt).

Edited by CrossF1, 05 January 2014 - 16:55.

#27 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 16:57

Source?

They filed for bankruptcy.

#28 Farhannn15

Farhannn15

• 746 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 17:05

tbh i don't get why some if not most of these guys carry on blowing ridiculous amounts of money on GP2 especially if they don't have enough sponsorship to make the next jump to F1. I believe talented drivers will win the title at the most on their second season and not fourth or fifth like Valsecchi or Bird. I don't see any of the current grid of GP2 making it into F1 onto talent alone apart from Vandoorne if he joins. Too little seats for too many drivers and that will always be the problem.

#29 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 17:50

tbh i don't get why some if not most of these guys carry on blowing ridiculous amounts of money on GP2 especially if they don't have enough sponsorship to make the next jump to F1. I believe talented drivers will win the title at the most on their second season and not fourth or fifth like Valsecchi or Bird. I don't see any of the current grid of GP2 making it into F1 onto talent alone apart from Vandoorne if he joins. Too little seats for too many drivers and that will always be the problem.

I wonder if the situation with Valsecchi & Leimer will really put people off this year?

Edited by billm99uk, 05 January 2014 - 17:51.

#30 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 17:57

DAMS: For one of the strongest teams, they have definitely taken a step back the last 2 years. Palmer has won a couple of races, but daddy's money sure has gotten him far. Next Chilton?

Think that's a bit harsh. He's not the next Hamilton, but he's developed some real flair last season and should be a contender this year. And he's proved a bit better than other "sons of..." Like Brundle, Hill & the Mansells at least!

#31 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 18:14

I don't think Palmer is F1 bound but I'm actually impressed with not just the progress he's made but the absolute results. Remember this is a guy who went T-Cars, Formula Palmer Audi, F2, GP2. He's short on what you'd call 'classical training'. But. Perhaps the shut up and drive nature of FPA and F2 prepared him for GP2. No 30 days of testing to figure out yourself and the car.

#32 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 18:30

Erm, Stevens is a member of Caterham Young Driver Programme, so it would be a pretty logical fit. Think you confused him with Lewis Williamson.

Yeah. My bad.

Edited by HaydenFan, 05 January 2014 - 18:31.

#33 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,330 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 18:48

I don't think Palmer is F1 bound but I'm actually impressed with not just the progress he's made but the absolute results. Remember this is a guy who went T-Cars, Formula Palmer Audi, F2, GP2. He's short on what you'd call 'classical training'. But. Perhaps the shut up and drive nature of FPA and F2 prepared him for GP2. No 30 days of testing to figure out yourself and the car.

Did you ever race against him?

#34 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 18:52

No, I'm ancient. Anyone I so much as tested alongside is either done now or racing in the pro ranks. Indycar, Sportscar, etc. 

#35 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 19:04

Word on the grapevine is Julian Leal has got one of the Carlin seats...

:rolleyes:

#36 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,330 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 19:09

No, I'm ancient. Anyone I so much as tested alongside is either done now or racing in the pro ranks. Indycar, Sportscar, etc. 

Heh. I remember Jolyon Palmer appeared on the grid on Codemasters' Race Driver 3 and it seems a long time from then to now.

#37 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 19:18

Heh. I remember Jolyon Palmer appeared on the grid on Codemasters' Race Driver 3 and it seems a long time from then to now.

Was like 15 or 16 at the time. 

That was a good game. One of the best racing games on the Xbox (I liked it more than the original Forza). 

#38 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:39

Russian Time wants Markelov in GP2. +Daly has openly said multiple times through interviews and through his Twitter account that he doesn't have the budget so he will most certainly not race for ART unless they give him a seat for free (in which I doubt).

Bit of a shame considering he scored points on his GP2 debut last year!

#39 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 18:55

Bit of a shame considering he scored points on his GP2 debut last year!

This is where I think Nascar has far superseded F1 - they have talented young drivers entering the sport on a regular basis, without them paying to drive.

Edited by Prost1997T, 06 January 2014 - 19:16.

Advertisement

#40 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,622 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 19:19

This where I think Nascar has far superseded F1 - they have talented young drivers entering the sport on a regular basis, without them paying to drive.

Apples and oranges. The cars/trucks in the lower tiers of Nascar are a lot closer technology wise to the stock cars. In open wheel nothing comes close to a state of the art F1 machine. Nothing.

Edited by InSearchOfThe, 06 January 2014 - 19:31.

#41 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 19:40

But that's not why you're more likely to get picked up or sponsored by a bigger team and taken through the ranks. 

#42 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 22:02

But that's not why you're more likely to get picked up or sponsored by a bigger team and taken through the ranks. 

A lot of NASCAR drivers are paying for rides at the lower levels. Only about 20-30 Nationwide/Trucks seats of the 70+ are paying gigs. We get confused and think NASCAR is always paying drivers when the kids like Logano, Kyle Busch, Carl Edwards move up the ranks as members of the major teams. 

But back on track, now that the dominating teams like ART and DAMS have trailed off, is it safe to say that no matter what team you join, 2014 might actually give you a truly big shot at the title? 

Also excited to see how the cars go around the Red Bull Ring. Thoughts of Imola kinda come to mind. 

Edited by HaydenFan, 06 January 2014 - 22:05.

#43 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 22:43

A lot of NASCAR drivers are paying for rides at the lower levels. Only about 20-30 Nationwide/Trucks seats of the 70+ are paying gigs.

I was talking about the drivers entering Sprint Cup, particularly for 2014. Last time I checked, Cole Whitt, Parker Kligerman, and Justin Allgaier were not development drivers for a particular team. Annett is the only ride-buyer out of the 6 rookies, Dillon and Larson were tied to Cup teams early on.

Anyway... Dani Clos has made a return to GP2 recently, would he be likely at Campos?

#44 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 23:39

I was talking about the drivers entering Sprint Cup, particularly for 2014. Last time I checked, Cole Whitt, Parker Kligerman, and Justin Allgaier were not development drivers for a particular team. Annett is the only ride-buyer out of the 6 rookies, Dillon and Larson were tied to Cup teams early on.

Anyway... Dani Clos has made a return to GP2 recently, would he be likely at Campos?

All listed where either Penske or Red Bull development drivers at one point though. But wasn't that the case with a few of the F1 rookies a couple of years ago? 

What other Spaniards are in GP2 now, or in contention? Not many as it used to be. And he would be a title favorite. 

#45 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 00:02

GP3 runner up Facu Regalia is struggling to find $ for GP2, looks grim right now and my guess is he doesnt get enough cash

#46 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 21:03

GP3 runner up Facu Regalia is struggling to find $ for GP2, looks grim right now and my guess is he doesnt get enough cash

Argentina/Spain's top prospect is in the same boat as everyone in the top 5 last year by Kyvat. Nothing from Ellinas, but Daly and Harvey are in the U.S., it's not looking well for Bernie's plan for GP3. 

#47 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:39

Argentina/Spain's top prospect is in the same boat as everyone in the top 5 last year by Kyvat. Nothing from Ellinas, but Daly and Harvey are in the U.S., it's not looking well for Bernie's plan for GP3. 

I think GP3's fine, it's GP2 that's the problem for Bernie.

#48 CrossF1

CrossF1

• 97 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 13:24

Looks like Vandoorne with ART and Marciello with Racing Engineering. Great addition to the current line-up. Although I'm afraid ART will struggle again...

E: Link: http://italiaracing....?id=42918&cat=4

Edited by CrossF1, 08 January 2014 - 13:25.

#49 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 15:49

You lot are sooo negative about everything to do with GP2.  Yes there are some problems, and no your favourite driver won't always get a drive in your favoured team, but just try a little positiveness; it'll make you feel better. :D

Neil

#50 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 17:20

You lot are sooo negative about everything to do with GP2.  Yes there are some problems, and no your favourite driver won't always get a drive in your favoured team, but just try a little positiveness; it'll make you feel better. :D

Neil

I don't think there is any really favored teams. And in reality, I think GP2 has such parity, anyone could win in any car. 

It's the Dallara effect. If a series has it's spec car built by Dallara, it bring a bit of negativity. IndyCar, F3, GP2, GP3, Indy Lights. 

Also, GP2 is the double whammy. It runs a Dallara car, and was a creation from the mind of little man Bernie.