* * * * * 1 votes

GP2 2014

• Please log in to reply
961 replies to this topic

#51 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,160 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 18:01

You lot are sooo negative about everything to do with GP2.  Yes there are some problems, and no your favourite driver won't always get a drive in your favoured team, but just try a little positiveness; it'll make you feel better. :D

Neil

Not everything, it's a great series but it just costs too much. That's the only negative for me.

I don't think there is any really favored teams. And in reality, I think GP2 has such parity, anyone could win in any car. 

It's the Dallara effect. If a series has it's spec car built by Dallara, it bring a bit of negativity. IndyCar, F3, GP2, GP3, Indy Lights. 

Also, GP2 is the double whammy. It runs a Dallara car, and was a creation from the mind of little man Bernie. 

I've don't believe in this 'Dallara' effect either. If that was the case, nobody would like WSR or GP2, because both have Dallara chassis'..

Advertisement

#52 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,929 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 21:40

I think Dallara are mostly responsible for the "sell the car cheap and make them pay way over the odds for official parts" model which is the bit that annoys me. Remember when the Indycar folks almost went on strike last year? Not sure if applies in GP2 though?

#53 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,070 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 21:50

It has to, I can't see where the costs come from otherwise.

#54 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,892 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 23:05

The announcements of Vandoorne and Marciello (who is apparently going to be racing for a lower cost than WSR) seemed to have tipped the scales back towards GP2's field.

#55 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,087 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 23:16

The announcements of Vandoorne and Marciello (who is apparently going to be racing for a lower cost than WSR) seemed to have tipped the scales back towards GP2's field.

What was Vandoorne to really do though? I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but what if he came back to FR3.5 and did not do as well? Remember Alexander Rossi's 2012 campaign? Went from a title contender in 2011 and dropped off the map the next year. If he doesn't get to F1, that 2012 season could be a bigger reason. 

Ferrari seem to be treating Marciello in the same McLaren treated Hamilton. Move him from and dominating F3 title to GP2. Which is good. It means that the team is aggressive in promoting it's driver, and has confidence he will do well. 

#56 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,512 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 23:18

Looks like Vandoorne with ART and Marciello with Racing Engineering. Great addition to the current line-up. Although I'm afraid ART will struggle again...

E: Link: http://italiaracing....?id=42918&cat=4

Confirmed or rumour, there's nothing on Autosport? Really hoping both come in, this could be an unexpected strong year for the series - if they confirm their potential.

#57 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,203 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 23:48

Confirmed or rumour, there's nothing on Autosport? Really hoping both come in, this could be an unexpected strong year for the series - if they confirm their potential.

Autosport never report on GP2 rumors, only facts. I wish they did however

#58 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 1,768 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:53

What was Vandoorne to really do though? I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but what if he came back to FR3.5 and did not do as well? Remember Alexander Rossi's 2012 campaign? Went from a title contender in 2011 and dropped off the map the next year. If he doesn't get to F1, that 2012 season could be a bigger reason. 

Ferrari seem to be treating Marciello in the same McLaren treated Hamilton. Move him from and dominating F3 title to GP2. Which is good. It means that the team is aggressive in promoting it's driver, and has confidence he will do well. 

Seems odd considering that Magnussen got 2 years in FR3.5 that they would switch out Vandoorne after one. Magnussen was never super impressive in his first year. 

#59 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,087 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:22

Seems odd considering that Magnussen got 2 years in FR3.5 that they would switch out Vandoorne after one. Magnussen was never super impressive in his first year. 

Vandoorne nearly won the title, you have to remember. Fell off the second half of the season, but at the start looked a lot better than Magnussen. Like I said about Alexander Rossi. Was 3rd in his first year of FR3.5. His switch to the Caterham/Arden team was the biggest catalyst for his results, but he fell to 11th. 

I think GP2 is the best place for him. He isn't getting an McLaren seat. Unless Magnussen struggles badly in comparison to Button, he isn't going away for the next few years. And Vandoorne isn't getting the nod to replace him is that happens. I also don't see Button retiring in the next few years either. So GP2 gives him the best place to try-out to other F1 team and allows him a margin to struggle in 2014 without effecting his F1 stock. Vandoorne's best bet with McLaren is that another team buys into the Honda engine program and he get's allocated there in the short term. He's kinda in the same boat as Felix da Costa had with Red Bull. He has really peaked in the junior formula levels and has shown he is ready to move up, but with no Red Bull backed seats open, and really no good seats open, he chose DTM. 

Biggest issue with the junior programs in F1 are that conundrums when you have not enough seats on your team for the super talented drivers in your program. And in some cases, the Red Bull Driver program has shown, many super talented drivers get forgotten and disappear into the memories of race fans and the racing paddock. 

But, let's get back to GP2. I really want to get back into following this series. Heck, European junior formula in general. Lost touch this past season, and while I might not watch many races, I like to watch the season unfold. To read articles about the series (which are some of the better written pieces from bloggers and journalists during the season) and watch the stats. 

So we have only a handful of seats taken with only 1 team with a full roster. Do we see a potential rookie come in (Marciello) and take the title? Will it take a page from the last few years and a veteran (Ericsson, Palmer, Nasr) challenge? And we have the Red Bull Ring! Sometimes racing on narrow tracks can mean for boring races with little overtaking, but this is GP2. The home of drivers with a strong desire to overtake with reckless abandon. 

Advertisement

#60 Thespianoid

Thespianoid

• 107 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:42

oh god. Vandoorne at a struggling ART will send his career down the drain. Carlin would have been a better option. 

Marciello at Racing Engineering will set him up to be a potential title contender. Looks like he'll be one of the few reasons to watch GP2 with Vandoorne all but out of the title hunt. 

#61 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 1,768 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:50

Vandoorne nearly won the title, you have to remember. Fell off the second half of the season, but at the start looked a lot better than Magnussen. Like I said about Alexander Rossi. Was 3rd in his first year of FR3.5. His switch to the Caterham/Arden team was the biggest catalyst for his results, but he fell to 11th. 

I think GP2 is the best place for him. He isn't getting an McLaren seat. Unless Magnussen struggles badly in comparison to Button, he isn't going away for the next few years. And Vandoorne isn't getting the nod to replace him is that happens. I also don't see Button retiring in the next few years either. So GP2 gives him the best place to try-out to other F1 team and allows him a margin to struggle in 2014 without effecting his F1 stock. Vandoorne's best bet with McLaren is that another team buys into the Honda engine program and he get's allocated there in the short term. He's kinda in the same boat as Felix da Costa had with Red Bull. He has really peaked in the junior formula levels and has shown he is ready to move up, but with no Red Bull backed seats open, and really no good seats open, he chose DTM. 

Biggest issue with the junior programs in F1 are that conundrums when you have not enough seats on your team for the super talented drivers in your program. And in some cases, the Red Bull Driver program has shown, many super talented drivers get forgotten and disappear into the memories of race fans and the racing paddock. 

But, let's get back to GP2. I really want to get back into following this series. Heck, European junior formula in general. Lost touch this past season, and while I might not watch many races, I like to watch the season unfold. To read articles about the series (which are some of the better written pieces from bloggers and journalists during the season) and watch the stats. 

So we have only a handful of seats taken with only 1 team with a full roster. Do we see a potential rookie come in (Marciello) and take the title? Will it take a page from the last few years and a veteran (Ericsson, Palmer, Nasr) challenge? And we have the Red Bull Ring! Sometimes racing on narrow tracks can mean for boring races with little overtaking, but this is GP2. The home of drivers with a strong desire to overtake with reckless abandon. 

I've always said, most of the true talents perform fairly well instantly. Vandoorne is one of them. He was in the title hunt almost instantly. Remember Frinjs or Ricciardo in their rookie years? 

The problem is people stick around in the formula for too long and win after 5 years of experience, the "vaclesschi" factor so to speak. 

I will follow GP2 next year because I want to see Evans and Vandoorne. Both are fairly exciting talents imo. Nasr is another one that might make Formula 1. Although not certain. 

Im surprised Da Costa isn't driving in GP2 this year. It would have been a good choice for him

#62 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,203 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:07

I've always said, most of the true talents perform fairly well instantly. Vandoorne is one of them. He was in the title hunt almost instantly. Remember Frinjs or Ricciardo in their rookie years? 

The problem is people stick around in the formula for too long and win after 5 years of experience, the "vaclesschi" factor so to speak. 

I will follow GP2 next year because I want to see Evans and Vandoorne. Both are fairly exciting talents imo. Nasr is another one that might make Formula 1. Although not certain. 

Im surprised Da Costa isn't driving in GP2 this year. It would have been a good choice for him

Red Bull dont like sending their drivers to GP2, too much $

#63 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 1,243 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:44

I will follow GP2 next year because I want to see Evans and Vandoorne. 

Does Evans have a ride yet? :|

#64 Anja

Anja

• 501 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:30

Leal confirmed at Carlin. Not really impressive...

#65 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,929 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:13

Leal confirmed at Carlin. Not really impressive...

Bit "Meh!", no doubt :(

#66 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 92 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 19:04

Carlin @CarlinRacing 15m

You'll never guess what! We've got another driver announcement coming tomorrow! #whowillitbe ?!

#67 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,929 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 20:02

Carlin ‏@CarlinRacing 15m
You'll never guess what! We've got another driver announcement coming tomorrow! #whowillitbe ?!

Anyone any guesses?

#68 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 20:08

Andre Negrao's name has been spotted on the same grapevine as Leal's.

A little more conjecture with this rumour though.

#69 Starchild

Starchild

• 65 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 21:03

They didn't say it's GP2, could also be GP3, F3.5 or F3...

#70 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:06

Carlin ‏@CarlinRacing 15m

It wasn't a GP2 announcement, it was Jake Dennis for F3 Europe.

#71 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,087 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 15:42

Not sure if I was Dennis, Carlin would be my first choice for F3. 

But! Glad he chose F3 over GP3. 

#72 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,892 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 17:59

Leal is at Carlin's GP2 team though: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/112069

#73 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,087 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 20:51

Leal is at Carlin's GP2 team though: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/112069

Wish I had Leal family money. 64 starts, 2 podiums (both in sprint races) and a best of 12th in standings in 3 years of GP2. At least going into his 4th year of GP2, Maldonado 4 wins and 2 top 10 points standings before taking the title. Or Valsecchi and 3 wins and 8th place in 2010-2011. Not saying Leal is a title favorite, or even closely in the same mold, but he is why GP2 is no different now than F3000 was in it's final years. A few good drivers every year, and plenty of career guys, happy for fork over the funds to score a few points every year. 

#74 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,070 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 21:34

Although for whatever reason, a full grid. Where in the F3000 days it was far far more affordable, the economies were better, and F1 teams were pretty flush and hiring who they wanted.

#75 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,892 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 23:16

Although for whatever reason, a full grid. Where in the F3000 days it was far far more affordable, the economies were better, and F1 teams were pretty flush and hiring who they wanted.

Indeed, at its peak there were 40+ cars on the entry list and split qualifying, with quite a few DNQs per race.

Edited by Prost1997T, 10 January 2014 - 23:17.

#76 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,070 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 23:38

Yeah but then it collapsed completely. For whatever reason people are still happy to spend crazy amounts of money in GP2, when in 3000 they just left.

#77 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,892 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 00:00

Yeah but then it collapsed completely. For whatever reason people are still happy to spend crazy amounts of money in GP2, when in 3000 they just left.

A couple of million here and there probably isn't that much for an oil company, considering the potential association with F1. If it does collapse, the FIA will just start afresh like they did with F3000-GP2 or F3 Euroseries-European F3.

#78 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,105 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:06

A couple of million here and there probably isn't that much for an oil company, considering the potential association with F1. If it does collapse, the FIA will just start afresh like they did with F3000-GP2 or F3 Euroseries-European F3.

Now there is something I've never understood. The old series has died following a withdrawal of entrants, generally citing financial problems, leaving the series unsustainable. The FIA helps to create a new series to accommodate competitors at that level. They come up with the exact same thing as before but with a slightly different name. Entrants mainly comprising those who left the old series rush to the new series. And the cycle continues.

#79 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,512 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:27

When GP2 started there was quite the refreshening of things over previous year F3000. It's just that over time it became the same thing.

Advertisement

#80 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,070 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:35

Now there is something I've never understood. The old series has died following a withdrawal of entrants, generally citing financial problems, leaving the series unsustainable. The FIA helps to create a new series to accommodate competitors at that level. They come up with the exact same thing as before but with a slightly different name. Entrants mainly comprising those who left the old series rush to the new series. And the cycle continues.

They're about similar on cost now I think. In that you're spending 100kish per race. So F3000 was 1m+ for 10 races and GP2 is 2m+ for 20 races. 10 and 20 being sorta generic schedules, but you see what I mean.

I wonder if it's because in late 90s/early 00s F3000, a ridebuyer would have been massacred. But nowadays you can do okay so you stick to it longer? 

Although GP2 is still maintaing a decent promotion rate, even if they need cash to promote. So van der Garde and Pic made it even if Valsecchi didn't and Leimer most likely won't.. Kyvat stands out as being a non-GP2 guy, even non-WSR. 

#81 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,203 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:57

They're about similar on cost now I think. In that you're spending 100kish per race. So F3000 was 1m+ for 10 races and GP2 is 2m+ for 20 races. 10 and 20 being sorta generic schedules, but you see what I mean.

I wonder if it's because in late 90s/early 00s F3000, a ridebuyer would have been massacred. But nowadays you can do okay so you stick to it longer? 

Although GP2 is still maintaing a decent promotion rate, even if they need cash to promote. So van der Garde and Pic made it even if Valsecchi didn't and Leimer most likely won't.. Kyvat stands out as being a non-GP2 guy, even non-WSR. 

yeah Kvyat and Bottas just didnt give a damn and jumped the costly series lol.

Gp2 is doing "ok", still has some life left I think. What I think is going horribly is GP3, yes, the champions have done well and are now in F1 or in case of Evans still fighting for the chance, but the rest of the field struggles to reach GP2 even if they finish in the top 5

#82 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,892 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:15

yeah Kvyat and Bottas just didnt give a damn and jumped the costly series lol.

Gp2 is doing "ok", still has some life left I think. What I think is going horribly is GP3, yes, the champions have done well and are now in F1 or in case of Evans still fighting for the chance, but the rest of the field struggles to reach GP2 even if they finish in the top 5

Regalia is said to be aiming for GP2, no idea if he'll make it. Daly will likely be in Indycar part or full-time, Harvey is in Indy Lights, and Ellinas has tested a GP2 car.

Edited by Prost1997T, 11 January 2014 - 03:17.

#83 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,203 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:26

Regalia is said to be aiming for GP2, no idea if he'll make it. Daly will likely be in Indycar part or full-time, Harvey is in Indy Lights, and Ellinas has tested a GP2 car.

Regalia has no money for GP2, Daly and Harvey never had it, and Ellinas is trying but its not looking good.

#84 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,929 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 13:40

Daly will likely be in Indycar part or full-time,

Wonder what the cost of GP2 vs Indycar is? Still, he might find it easier to raise money in the US for an American driver in an American series. Then again, their domestic TV deal ain't too good at the moment.

#85 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,087 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 14:37

GP2/F3000 wasn't always the best feeder series either. British F3 was the strongest feeder to F1 for a while. I think Kyvat and Bottas making the jump from GP3 is much akin to the jump from F3. 

Wonder what the cost of GP2 vs Indycar is? Still, he might find it easier to raise money in the US for an American driver in an American series. Then again, their domestic TV deal ain't too good at the moment.

IndyCar is about 2-4 million. Is a level above GP2, but getting American sponsors to buy into IndyCar is difficult, imagine trying to get them to fund the F1 feeders? But yeah, he is an American in what is still an American series. A bit easier to raise the necessary funds. And even then, it looks like he isn't going to be racing much this season. 

#86 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,892 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 00:01

IndyCar is about 2-4 million.

Euros? That depends on whether you want to just make 105% or compete for wins. Well, having seen the Chilton announcement there are only two potential seats left in F1 for GP2 graduates, so it doesn't look good for the likes of Calado, Leimer or Nasr to move up.

Edited by Prost1997T, 12 January 2014 - 00:02.

#87 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,087 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 00:18

Euros? That depends on whether you want to just make 105% or compete for wins. Well, having seen the Chilton announcement there are only two potential seats left in F1 for GP2 graduates, so it doesn't look good for the likes of Calado, Leimer or Nasr to move up.

Dollars. Well yeah. The more you spend, the more you'll increase your chances of winning. 

Calado in all honestly could use another year. Same with Nasr. As for Leimer, he does deserve a shot. But Caterham is probably going to go conservative, and not bring in drivers that'll cost them more than they bring. 

#88 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,555 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 00:54

Red Bull won't pay for GP2 rides anymore, when FR3.5 is cheaper and just as high quality a field and test of their drivers... also, BMW are probably paying him to drive for them, and in modern motorsport no young driver who doesn't have vast swathes of family money to support them should turn down a paid drive.

#89 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,892 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 00:55

Calado is older and more experienced than Gutierrez was, as well as showing greater consistency across a racing season. He just doesn't have the $$$ to buy a drive at Caterham.  ;)

#90 Risil

Risil

• 13,736 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 20:25

The series was the brainchild of Bernie Ecclestone and Flavio Briatore (with assistance from Max Mosley), and you're wondering why the official story doesn't stack up?

#91 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,892 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 16:12

Andre Negrao to Arden: http://www.paddocksc...ens-gp2-lineup/

#92 Starchild

Starchild

• 65 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 16:32

That's disappointing. I was expecting Evans to be retained for his 2nd year.... Binder and Negrao :drunk:  Is this their worst line-up ever in gp2?

#93 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,708 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 19:03

Is he related to Alex Negrao?  And will this make the Negraos to GP2 what the Speraficos were to F3000?  :drunk:

#94 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 733 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 19:39

Calado is older and more experienced than Gutierrez was, as well as showing greater consistency across a racing season. He just doesn't have the $$$ to buy a drive at Caterham.  ;)

Esteban has won a couple of championships though.

What is Calado doing this year? I follow him on Twitter and I can tell he's racing somewhere but I must have missed what he's doing. Woulod have loved FI to give him a drive but they made the right decision to be fair.

As for Leal staying in GP2... >_<

#95 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 20:24

Is he related to Alex Negrao?  And will this make the Negraos to GP2 what the Speraficos were to F3000?  :drunk:

His cousin, i think. Seemed to be a bit more successful in FR3.5 than Xandinho was in GP2 back then.

#96 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 22:22

What is Calado doing this year? I follow him on Twitter and I can tell he's racing somewhere but I must have missed what he's doing. Woulod have loved FI to give him a drive but they made the right decision to be fair.

I don't think anything official has been announced as of yet, but he did test for Mercedes in DTM, so that's a possibility.

#97 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,559 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 15:43

So update: Line-up and guesses:

Russian Time: Tom Dillmann (?) – Nikolay Martsenko (?)
Carlin: Julián Leal – Felipe Nasr (?)
Racing Engineering: Raffaele Marciello (?) – Mitch Evans (?)
DAMS: Stéphane Richelmi – Jolyon Palmer

Hilmer: Daniel Abt – Facundo Regalia (?)
Rapax: Simon Trummer – Sandy Stuvik (?)
ART: Stoffel Vandoorne (?) – Naoki Yamamoto (?)
Arden: René Binder – André Negrão  
Caterham: Alexander Rossi (?) – Rio Haryanto (?)  
Trident: Giovanni Venturini (?) – Giacomo Raimondo (?)
MP: Daniël de Jong (?) – Tio Ellinas (?)
Campos: Arthur Pic – Denis Nagulin (?)
Lazarus: Dani Clos (?) – Johnny Cecotto jr. (?)

#98 Anja

Anja

• 501 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 16:26

Apparently there will be a couple of drivers' announcements this week according to the series' official FB page.

#99 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 195 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 16:38

Can't wait to see Marciello in action. He seems to be the real deal looking at his career results.

Edited by thegamer23, 20 January 2014 - 16:38.

Advertisement

#100 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,929 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 19:45

Can't wait to see Marciello in action. He seems to be the real deal looking at his career results.

Fast, but a bit of a head case, judging by some of his "off days". Needs to iron that out as this level, one hopes.