Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

F1 Coverage Thread - 2014 Season (BBC and Sky)

• Please log in to reply
1307 replies to this topic

#1301 MinT

MinT

• 2,004 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:49

For Sky its more about having a complete package that attracts and keeps subscribers.

They may have hoped getting F1 would attract its fans - but its more about them adding a high profile sport to their line-up to keep people subscribing.

As has been pointed out many times on here - no one subscribes to Sky just to watch F1-its the whole sports package that they offer that keeps people paying.

I would imagine by now though that they have realised F1 isn't a strong enough product to have much benefit for them (certainly whilst half of it is still live on the BBC.)

Advertisement

#1302 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,496 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:33

They may have hoped getting F1 would attract its fans - but its more about them adding a high profile sport to their line-up to keep people subscribing.

As has been pointed out many times on here - no one subscribes to Sky just to watch F1-its the whole sports package that they offer that keeps people paying.

I would imagine by now though that they have realised F1 isn't a strong enough product to have much benefit for them (certainly whilst half of it is still live on the BBC.)

The bold part is my annoyance with the deal because it would be my only reason for ever contemplating Sky. I don't need any of the other guff they feel is a good package and the price doesn't offer value for money for half a season's worth of coverage. I can't see F1 dropping its partial involvement with FTA coverage any time soon either. Unless they want to shed 80% of the audience of course. 

With any luck when the current deal is up there will be some pressure to attract a FTA broadcaster (hopefully the BBC) to buy back the full exclusive rights maybe at a reduced cost to the 2011 agreement. This way everybody gets a fair chance of seeing the coverage. Sky have produced a decent crack at showing F1, but the reality is they can't offer the outreach more accessible channels can. If they feel it hasn't really produced a return on their investment, they may not bid again we can only hope. This whole deal has acted as an experiment IMO. An experiment that has shown that F1 isn't as popular as they thought and the demand reduces when fans are asked to pay to watch.

#1303 king_crud

king_crud

• 1,422 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:14

How long is the current deal for?

#1304 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 166 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:21

For Sky its more about having a complete package that attracts and keeps subscribers.

We haven't got the sports pack, but we've got HD and the legacy thing means I get to watch F1. I'm not sure I'd take the sports pack if they took the legacy part away

#1305 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,496 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:27

This might be of interest to some here. I just spoke to Sky and pretended to be interested in a package like I have done several times in the past. Previously in my experience new customers are unable to negotiate pricing and I have always been informed that the price is the price, no budging. 

Today I was first quoted the standard £43.50 a month tariff for sports but when I said it was too expensive the advisor went away and offered me the Original pack and Sports Pack for £32.50 a month on a 12 month contract. It seems Sky are realising they can accommodate new customers with prices. Its still too expensive for me but its similar in price to the HD offer they did until last year.

#1306 Goron3

Goron3

• 573 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:33

I upgraded to Sky Sports today simply to get F1. I ended signing a 24 month contract but I don't have to pay anything extra for the first 6 months and for the first 12 months my broadband bill is halved.

I swear they just randomly decide prices on the phone lol.

#1307 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,496 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:52

I suppose it depends who you get put through to and if that team/call centre have targets to meet. If you get someone like my father spoke to, you end up cancelling on the spot after 18 years!!

I forgot to mention apart from being quoted £32.50 a month for Sports, I was also offered £100 M&S vouchers and a free Samsung Galaxy 3 Tab. This was the chat window on their website. It all got a bit hard sell and I aborted the chat so the likelihood is I won't get that offer next time lol.  

#1308 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,041 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:24

I upgraded to Sky Sports today simply to get F1. I ended signing a 24 month contract but I don't have to pay anything extra for the first 6 months and for the first 12 months my broadband bill is halved.

They pretty much do. Sky are one of the easiest companies to try the call up and threaten to cancel trick - it's almost impossible to start a new contract at the advertised price.