- - - - -

Series/events that lost your interest COMPLETELY

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:11

So we all (or most) have motor racing series / events that we once might have followed but for a reason or another we stopped caring for them... Tell us about yours. No need to list series / events that have ceased to exist by natural causes but series / events you simply don't watch any more at all.

Since more times than I can count people have chosen to ignore my opening post's message, I have to write the next one in caps:

PLEASE NO LISTNINGS OF SERIES/EVENTS YOU WATCH 'LESS' NOWADAYS, OR SERIES YOU PLAN TO WATCH LESS, BUT SERIES/EVENTS YOU JUST IGNORE RIGHT NOW. ALSO FOR OBVIOUS REASONS YOU MUST HAVE LIKED THE SAID SERIES / EVENT IN THE PAST IN ORDER TO QUALIFY IT FOR "LOST INTEREST"

Mine:

FIA GT
Okay so this one went from FIA GT to FIA GT1 WC to FIA GT Series to Blancpain Sprint... 2009 was really the swansong for that awesome old series from all way back 1997 - I loved it so. Now the first year and some of the second season of the World Championship were somewhat okay-ish on some level, even if the concept was pretty damn flawed, but the third year was probably the worst season I have ever seen anywhere. 2012 FIA GT1 World Championship, of which only the words 2012 and FIA were truthful (they were all GT3s and all the rounds were held at Europe, incl the Slovakiaring doubles). Horrible, horrible grids and even more horrible series management from the SRO. While I had watched at least one or two races from the already shaky 2011 season, I did not watch anything from that season. Then in 2013 they lost the WC status and it was just yet another generic GT3 series, of which there are 35,600 in Europe alone already, and for 2014 they have lost the backing of FIA as well. Utter garbage.

Spa 24 Hours
Few years back it was my 3rd dearest motorsport event of the year. Awesome, awesome event, and felt really special. Then they killed off GT1 and GT2 (and other classes) and now it's just yet another BoP-GT3 crapshoot you can see at every other event. Nothing unique anymore, snore. Also the circuit has been totally and utterly ruined with asphalt runoff that it's not even pleasant to look at, nor challenging. Zero interest left.

GP2 Series
http://forums.autosp...4/#entry6543188

Edited by SonnyViceR, 05 January 2014 - 11:53.

Advertisement

#2 xmoonrakerx

xmoonrakerx

• 765 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:18

when cart seperated to two series, i never watched again

#3 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:23

I used to pay at least some attention to the world of rallying.

#4 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 2,206 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:23

Why that ? CART was exactly the same in '95 and '96, except there was no Indy 500 anymore. And Indycar had crap teams and drivers. 

#5 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 2,206 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:27

I stopped watching :

Indycar, the cars look awful.

V8 Supercars, too much non sense. 

FIA GT a long time ago, when Mercedes CLK GTR, Porsche 911 GT1 ... disappeared. 

GP2 when the new car appeared. 

#6 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,515 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:28

Count me in the WRC camp. Used to have some interest when you had the likes of Burns, McRae, Makinen Sainz, etc within a shout of winning each time. Lack of TV coverage, reduced gaming profile and the Sebastian Loeb show ruined it for me.

I used to watch FIA GT and ETCC/WTCC when they were part of the same package on Eurosport. Now I don't really care about either.

You missed what were some of CARTs best years. 96-2000 was excellent racing.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 05 January 2014 - 11:29.

#7 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:39

Never been a fan od sportscar racing or endurance racing in general as fan, as a competitor yes but as a spectator it is as dull as dishwater!

I too used to love BTCC, and while it is OK now, its all a bit false and the cars look a bit too easy.

WTCC is a disaster, always dominated by one team or another and only on telly coz of Eurosports backing.

WRC is tough, I love the series, but teh rallies now are too compacted (for obvious reasons) and using the same stages over and over just makes it like racing, the guys are more than flat out.

Never really watched much lower level single seater stuff, again its not great for a fan but awesome to drive in.

Things I have started to like are

Berg Cup in Europe, the cars are amazing as are the venues, Time Attack comp all around the world, again the cars are brilliant, dont mind a bit of drag racing now and again, love some historic stuff too, but get a little fed up when some fifty something is going slower than I woudl in a 2CV in a car I ahve paid to watch, fair enough I suppose, but a little frustrating as a fan.

I do think a lot of these guys now though are starting to put ringers in their cars, a to sort them out and b to make them look good!

#8 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:43

Count me in the WRC camp. Used to have some interest when you had the likes of Burns, McRae, Makinen Sainz, etc within a shout of winning each time. Lack of TV coverage, reduced gaming profile and the Sebastian Loeb show ruined it for me.

Plus the sense of event sanitization in the name of being television friendly.

#9 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,439 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:47

DTM once Hakkinen retired and potentially the WTCC if I don't pick it up again this year. GP2 is also on the edge.

Edited by Disgrace, 05 January 2014 - 12:23.

#10 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:48

chunder27, for one to lose interest in certain series / event / genre, it requires that he/she must have liked it sometime in the past.

#11 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 1,068 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:54

WRC, the coverage is not helping and the fact that only 1 can realistically win...

2011 was kind of interesting to follow, but not so much lately

#12 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:01

I almost lost interest in F1. Almost. I still watch races, but not all and I still come here from time to time (now because of the Schumacher news) but I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about it as I used to be.

#13 Fulcrum

Fulcrum

• 247 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:02

I stopped watching :

DTM

WTCC

WEC

GP2

WRC

CART

#14 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:10

DTM
WTCC
RALLYING

possibly soon F1..

#15 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:12

Well, near completely:

DTM - no more Dutch driver (Albers)

WRC - not suited for television, no more Loeb

GP2 - it's supposed to be a stepping stone to F1, but now it's just a paydriver club

Dakar - ever since it's not in Africa anymore.

#16 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:22

I don't think I've completely lost interest in any series- seems a bit of a draconian stipulation, but I do have a lot less interest now than in the past in the WRC (one driver, one team domination- days of Sainz, Makkinen, McRae, Burns, Gronholm seem long ago and I've no idea who now broadcasts it on TV), US open wheel (was never interested in the IRL, my interest CART sort of petered out along with the series), WTCC, GP2 (terrible cars, reduced scale HRTs which provide terrible racing and the most promising talent now seems to sidestep it) and DTM (cars looks great, but racing is poor so never watched a race this season on TV,  instead just stuck to browsing race reports).

WRC and Indycar look promising again though, and I'll probably check on the WTCC to se how Loeb is getting on.

Edited by P123, 05 January 2014 - 12:30.

#17 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:28

BTCC since I can't see it and I guess the quality of the field is way lower than it was 15-20 years ago

WRC - I just read the headlines here to see the results, can't follow it and doesn't seem remotely as interesting as 10-15 years ago

I followed NASCAR a bit when it was on Eurosport in the 90s - not anymore.

#18 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:53

BTCC used to be a bit of a must watch for me. Various fiddling with the format over the years, culminating with reverse grids, killed that one for me stone dead.

I used to watch some of the GP2 races and quite enjoyed it, but haven't bothered with at all this year.

F1. For over 20 years I was a must watch every quali and every race in full, watch as much of the practise sessions as I can kinda guy. Hell, I'd even get up to watch the single lap quali order single lap thing when they were running that format once the title was settled. I loved it that much. Now with DRS ruining the racing for me, every sneeze a driver makes being investigated by the stewards with their random penalties and the death by spreadsheet that is Pirelli tyre management (and no it is NOT the same as the 80s, Prost was never given lap deltas and told which gear to take turn 3 in) I just don't care.

I'll still watch an F1 race if convenient or catch the highlights, but I'm not fussed about missing it because it's a different sport now. It's like bumping into an old friend who's completely changed their personality, it just feels a bit awkward.

#19 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 13:18

CART post 2000 or something

WRC when Loeb started dominating and older famous drivers retired, and TV coverage went down

F1 currently less and less interested with all the BS that's going on

On the other hand, I've started to follow MotoGP more, and Dakar a lot since it's gone to South America

And I miss Camel Trophy  :cry:

Advertisement

#20 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,959 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 13:19

Spa 24 Hours

Few years back it was my 3rd dearest motorsport event of the year. Awesome, awesome event, and felt really special. Then they killed off GT1 and GT2 (and other classes) and now it's just yet another BoP-GT3 crapshoot you can see at every other event. Nothing unique anymore, snore. Also the circuit has been totally and utterly ruined with asphalt runoff that it's not even pleasant to look at, nor challenging. Zero interest left.

"They" didn't kill off GT1 at all. It died a natural death. Hard to support a race like that when there's at most 10 GT1 cars entered, and when manufacturers aren't building cars to those regs any more. Look at how GT1 died off in America in the ALMS and Europe in the LMS. There was never more than three cars entered in either series. Plus, GT1 had the same BoP issues as GT3 does, perhaps even more.

I know it's your opinion, but I don't understand what is so bad about GT3. It's the most successful GT class in the world right now. Huge grids in British GT, Blancpain (bigger entries now for the Spa 24 than there ever was during days of GT1/2), and whatever else. Massive diversity in the sheer number of different manufacturers entered, again, more than GT1.

I can't say I've lost total interest in anything. My interest in BTCC has dipped, I'm certainly not as interested in it as I once was, but I still watch it and go to the occasional race event. GP2, I'm vocal on the terrible driving standards, but again, I'll still watch it from time to time. I like racing too much to dislike one category.

Edited by JHSingo, 05 January 2014 - 13:23.

#21 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,677 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 13:45

I used to follow practically every series, now I have stopped following basically everything but F1, Le Mans and WRC.

Reasons are balance of performance / weight penalties and spec cars.

To me, car racing is about technological diversity. Without that, I just don't care.

FIA GT is the perfect example of what I hate.

I must add I still somewhat follow Indy, in the hope of a resurrection.

#22 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 869 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 13:46

Nascar - used to be broadcast on cable in Germany during the early/mid 90's. Was nice to watch every sunday evening for additional motorsport fix after F1/DTM. Nowadays when i try to watch a race via stream it's absolutely unbearable with the constant ad breaks. The championship mode is also ridiculous. I don't get how Nascar fans can tolerate this crap and get any enjoyment out of it outside of watching the races at the tracks.

Indycars - Ugly cars on mostly derelict tracks, lack of drivers that interest me. Champcar did a lot more to keep me interested.

#23 yasushi888

yasushi888

• 225 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 13:52

F1 - It's just not the same as it used to be, its a show now and not a very good one
GP2 - As F1, the cars look awful and the drivers just seem to be kids with no talent but rich parents
BTCC - Not since Super Touring have I been interested, I tried my hardest but eventually gave in. The cars look slow, pretty much all pay drivers now and the driving standards are terrible.

Is it me or are a lot of people feeling really depressed the way motorsport is at the moment? More than ever before? I certainly am, for all the reasons listed in the posts in this thread and for me the worst thing is the circuits, the tarmac run off is just killing the sport. I love Monza but I just can't take it seriously anymore. The situation at the first two chicanes is ridiculous. As soon as there is any hint of some action, someones cutting across the chicane and then having to give the place back. It's the same at other circuits too, but seems to hurt more watching at classic places like Monza or Spa.

I'm starting to look more towards Indycar/Nascar/ALMS now, at least most of the circuits in the USA don't seem to have been ruined just yet. I would follow WEC but the circuits they go to are just tarmac fests.

#24 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,322 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 13:53

This goes for me too. I used to make the odd trip to see the Rally, the superspecials at Cheltenham Racecourse were my favourites. Loved it,

Then along came Loeb, which killed the competition dead for the best part of a decade. Manufacturer withdrawals, the lack of TV coverage in any format. Not even 30mins on a Sunday night. Now I dont follow it all. I only know Ogier is the WDC as I spotted a headline in Autosport.

Such a shame, Loeb did to rallying what Schumacher nearly did to F1  a decade ago.

Edited by Burtros, 05 January 2014 - 13:54.

#25 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 14:37

"They" didn't kill off GT1 at all. It died a natural death. Hard to support a race like that when there's at most 10 GT1 cars entered, and when manufacturers aren't building cars to those regs any more. Look at how GT1 died off in America in the ALMS and Europe in the LMS. There was never more than three cars entered in either series. Plus, GT1 had the same BoP issues as GT3 does, perhaps even more.

I know it's your opinion, but I don't understand what is so bad about GT3. It's the most successful GT class in the world right now. Huge grids in British GT, Blancpain (bigger entries now for the Spa 24 than there ever was during days of GT1/2), and whatever else. Massive diversity in the sheer number of different manufacturers entered, again, more than GT1.

I can't say I've lost total interest in anything. My interest in BTCC has dipped, I'm certainly not as interested in it as I once was, but I still watch it and go to the occasional race event. GP2, I'm vocal on the terrible driving standards, but again, I'll still watch it from time to time. I like racing too much to dislike one category.

GT1 had more BoP issues than GT3? Whaaaaaaaaaaat :rotfl: Okay, 2010-2011 GTWC sure had equal amount, even at the point of arranging pre-season BoP tests with designated FIA drivers, but that was SRO being stupid and trying to copycat their other category.

SRO's old FIA GT classes had BoP more than the ACO, particularly towards the end of the decade  but was it the same as GT3 and GTE of today? No. Also things like ALMS 2006 when AMR gained favourable adjustments all the time when they kept bitching and moaning about Corvettes (their primary reason for sucking being crap Pirellis and smaller budget) were annoying. BUT the fact is that no-one is saying that BoP didn't exist in old GT1 or GT2. But it was more like this (ALMS example):

http://www.imsaracin...letin 07-01.pdf
* During the season, changes will be made first to weight, and only if the
changes required exceed the available weight changes, will Engine restrictor / boost be used.
* During the season, the maximum single weight step for any single car shall be 25kg
* [Minimum restrictor BoP] Engine restrictor / boost pressure change up to +/- 10% restrictor area and / or 9% of absolute permitted pressure
* [Minimum weight BoP] Up to plus 50kg and minus 50kg (GT1 cars), Up to plus 50kg and minus 25kg (GT2 cars) - The above changes are the total maximums that could be applied in the season, not the maximum change per adjustment. [two in-season adjustments allowed]
* [Basis for making changes] Being outside approximately 1% of the fastest average green flag race stint lap time of the reference car during each race in the evaluation period

Again, NOT PERFECT, but less random than the current mess in GT3 (anything can be changed at any time + no rules) and GTE (anything can be changed at any time + rules are worthless because of waiver granting). Prior 2005 most of the GT champs didn't even have those

If you want to see the chance in ACO ideology, look at this:

Vincent Beaumesnil, June 2013

"If you look at the [LMGTE] regulations, we can change [it] whenever we want. -- For sure, it's not the spirit of what we want. But you have no other way to do it."

ACO LM GT1 & LM GT2 technical 2009 regulation rulebook

"-- It is out of the question to make adjustments after or in accordance to each race. If adaptions are necessary, they will be imposed by the ACO preferably at the end of each race season. But should a model of car show too high a performance, immediate measures will be taken by the ACO in order to reduce it's performance for the following races"

GT1 did die natural death, of course it did, but they had no reason to kill it off from Spa in 2010 when it was technically still there. Maybe I used bad wording there but whatever. As for GT2, it was SRO's own fault that the GT2 teams chose to abandon their series in 2010.

As for GT3, I stated my opinion already here - also say my opinion about the original concept of GT3

http://forums.autosp...4/#entry6543517

What then if the old classes had less cars. I don't care about huge grids and "variety" in single class racing if the end result is GT3 which I do not see as real racing. It doesn't have any relevance with the road cars or technology. You can't even have a tyre war as those figures are BoPped too. I am not here to watch "cool cars" that have nothing to do with anything. Why would I watch something that I know is manufactured at the point that WWE is not so far a way? Even NASCAR gimmicks pale in comparison. Of course, GT3 is popular for the manufacturers as it provides an easy platform where you can build whatever you want (supercar or B-class sedan) and just relax while the organizing body makes sure that you are able to comfortably have success in the series. Same with (gentleman) drivers, these cars are so easy to handle with all the driver aids and stuff that it's become like an entry level class for many. It is an easy place for teams. BoP-only series provides great grids but I DO NOT CARE about big grids if it means racing that is more or less scripted in advance.

Also I don't find GT3 exciting to look at, they're just... meh. Too little power and unspectacular designs. When you have the same exact models entered for EVERY SINGLE RACE ON THE PLANET it becomes boring as well. Back when GT1 and GT2 were at Spa, what other 24 hour events there were where those cars were able to score overall victories? Apart from Daytona at the turn of the decade (and maybe Zolder at some point, don't know)

Edited by SonnyViceR, 05 January 2014 - 14:47.

#26 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 14:40

Lol and the baove is why people lose interest!

I lost interest after a couple of words!

Seriously things like ITC and sports cars were ruined by germans  and Japanese coming in, over spending and pricing the series out of reach of everyone but them

Toyota, Nissan, Merc, Audi, Porsche, Mclaren in GT, Merc, Opel and Alfa in DTM, when you ahve 6 or 7 cars from the same manufacturer all running cars in one series, some a year old, the you know you have problems.

Such a shame, but rules are made to be broken, and cars like the Toyota GTone, R390 are the result.

#27 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 14:50

I am sorry for rambling and presenting such confusing answers, that post is mainly made up of my old quotes pieced together because I have written the same texts over and over again so many times during the past few years that I cannot be bothered to start from scratch every time.

#28 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,771 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 14:50

Lol and the baove is why people lose interest!

I lost interest after a couple of words!

Seriously things like ITC and sports cars were ruined by germans  and Japanese coming in, over spending and pricing the series out of reach of everyone but them

Toyota, Nissan, Merc, Audi, Porsche, Mclaren in GT, Merc, Opel and Alfa in DTM, when you ahve 6 or 7 cars from the same manufacturer all running cars in one series, some a year old, the you know you have problems.

Such a shame, but rules are made to be broken, and cars like the Toyota GTone, R390 are the result.

I see your point, but it's a bit like the plasterer at the Sistine Chapel complaining 'cause Michelangelo hogs all the attention.

Manufacturer splurge years are unsustainable but they are what we remember and cherish afterwards.

Edited by Risil, 05 January 2014 - 14:51.

#29 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,648 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 14:51

WRC. Tv coverage in the U.S. is nonexistent.

Nascar. Oversaturated and boring.

ALMS/GrandAm. Tv schedule is a mystery.

Edited by InSearchOfThe, 05 January 2014 - 17:37.

#30 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 14:58

Manufacturer splurge years are unsustainable but they are what we remember and cherish afterwards.

Yup, Le Mans 1999 being one of the more notorious examples. Golden times with factories throwing cash from every window, and year after pretty much everyone but Audi had disappeared from top category

#31 taz

taz

• 557 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 15:08

WRC - Reason: Lack of TV coverage and the Loeb show, should try to pick it up again now Neuville is doing good

DAKAR RALLY - Reason: since it's not in Africa anymore

DTM - I don't know why exactly i lost interest, i should pick it up again now BMW is competing again

#32 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,990 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 15:10

NASCAR.  I keep barely an eye on it now.  Used to watch it a huge amount, even flew over to see it in person.  But the complete total and utter unadulterated bullshit like The Chase and the rapine of Carl Long's team and so on have put me right off.  It's more bent than FIArrari era F1.

#33 totgate

totgate

• 199 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 15:11

When the ****hole Tony George destroyed Cart i lost all interest in what was probably the best Racingseries ever... :-(

#34 Hans V

Hans V

• 651 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 15:55

WEC/GT/etc  - I love LeMans and prototype sportscars, but have lost track of all the sportscar championships, don't have WEC coverage (wherever that is) and really don't care either.

GP2 - Has become a series for specialists.  A crapshoot of who hits the knife-edge setup sweetspot and can perserve tyres. Reverse grid races don't count in my book. Extreemly bad stewarding has made it something of an open-wheel banger series. Don't know what they've done to screw it up so bad, but it has lost out to FR3.5 as the relevant feeder series to F1.  

WTCC - Used to love SuperTouring and follwed WTCC with Zanardi, Priaulx and Rydell, but now find it boring. Am curious of how Loeb will do and might watch a few races if they're on somewhere.   

WRC - Lack of coverage, lack of WRC participants (six works-cars spread out by 10 minutes), lack of profiles. And lack of sliding. Basically I'd like to see Vatanen, McRae and Solberg slug it out in Mk2 Escorts....

F1 - well not yet, but with DRS, Tilke-dromes, all the penalties I'm loosing interest. Unless things improves this will be the last year I can be bothered to subscribe to a channel that carries F1.   

DTM - The races seem to go on for 5-6 hours (I know they don't) and like F1 they seem to overcomplicate things and seemingly a lot of coincidents determines the outcome. I'm looking forward to them harmoizing the rules with Japanese GT, Australian V8s and a US based series. Can be great championships, hopefully with a World Championship "play off" with the top 5 or so from each sereies slugging it out for the World Crown. 

MotoGP - just lost interest. Much of it due to electronics. Traction controll etc. makes the bikes too easy to learn and I want the demanding, sliding beasts from a few years ago. The few GP3 races I have watched have been brilliant though.

On the other hand I've started watching NASCAR quite a bit. Most of all it's because the races usually are on late Sunday nights and I watch from bed while reading or surfing the net. I also discovered that I had a channel carrying IndyCar (I was a big CART-fan but haven't watched US open-wheelers since the CART-days) last year and was positively surprised by the racing. Renault 3.5 provides good racing and which is something I watch if I'm home when it's on. Euro F3 was also very good this year.

Edited by Hans V, 05 January 2014 - 16:00.

#35 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 33,010 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 15:55

I don't understand why people gave up on CART after the split.

The 1995 season was just as good as 1996.  The series was just as good as before right up until about 2003 or so.

For me, WRC and BTCC have gone completely off my radar.  It just amazing how popular WRC was and the fall it has taken.

#36 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,771 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 16:00

The 1995 season was just as good as 1996.  The series was just as good as before right up until about 2003 or so.

I sort of understand how people who saw it as the Indy 500 plus semi-irrelevant tour of tracks you've never heard of might've been turned off. But Europeans have no excuse.

Edited by Risil, 05 January 2014 - 16:00.

#37 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 16:06

The first that springs to mind is the Daytona 24hr. Lost interest totally when there were no longer the big sportscars like the 962's, Jags and other top flight machinery. Same goes for Spa 24 with only gt classes.

Having loved rallying in the past there's no particular reason for me to watch that currently and definitely the ROC since they forgot what the event was created for!

Edited by DampMongoose, 05 January 2014 - 16:08.

#38 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 16:20

WRC - bouncing around different TV channels and Loeb dominating pretty much killed interest in it for me.

The Race of Champions - I watched it a few times, but it never really wowed me.

DTM used to be something I watched regularly when Motors TV had it. Watched it on ESPN this summer and found it dull.

Edited by Doughnut King, 05 January 2014 - 16:21.

#39 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 16:24

The WRC, like many others here. I never used to be heavily involved in it, but I enjoyed rallying and would try to find coverage and keep up to date with the latest events. Then the series began to disintegrate and there were less and less reasons to keep watching. The loss of regular TV coverage was the last straw.

Advertisement

#40 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 16:25

All sportscar racing. Followed ALMS big time 2007-2008, but lost all interest. Am turning around a bit as some of the drivers I followed in the junior formula are running in front teams. 

V8 Supercars. As an American, the television package was spotty and inconsistent at best. And I loved the series. Have replaced it with watching NASCAR, but that isn't cutting out either. Touring car racing just isn't that great right now in terms of my interest. 

#41 Fulcrum

Fulcrum

• 247 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 16:54

Because after the split the series turn to F3000 America.

#42 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,339 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 17:06

Rally now the so called WRC. For me Rally was more important than F1.

When they started de-characterizing traditional rallies, changing classic mixed rallies to only asphalt or only gravel, killing night racing, distance limits etc...

One of culprits for rallying decharacterization has a name: Carlos Sainz

#43 keiichi

keiichi

• 527 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 17:22

WRC and the Dakar. I used to love WRC in the McRae/Burns/Makinen era, but now with all that downsizing stuff it began to lose interest for me. The fact that it came to be so strongly dominated by a single driver also might not have helped.

The Dakar, when the destination was actually Dakar I followed it religiously, but since it moved to South America I lost interest.

There's also a competition that I used to follow, then lost interest, but since a couple of year back I'm again gaining more and more interest and that's Le Mans and the WEC. I have high expectations for the coming years in this form of motorsport. Just hoping to not be let down.

#44 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 2,206 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 17:44

Because after the split the series turn to F3000 America.

Care to explain ?

#45 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 1,841 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 17:49

Mine is mostly a time consideration. 

CART/IndyCar

BTTC

AMA Road Racing

Sportscars - I went to the WEC in Austin, but just because it was in town.  Didn't know who was driving, nor what cars would be there.

SBK

NASCAR

Aussie V8

Rally

Monster Trucks

Drag racing

As it is, I watch 100+ races a year, so I had to cut things out. 

In motorsport, I just watch F1, MotoGP and AMA Motocross/Supercross. I watch more non-motor racing than I do motor racing (bicycle, running, etc.)

#46 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 1,841 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 18:01

I used to love WRC.  To me, the things that ruined it were things like eliminating mixed surface events, and all the constant rule fiddling to spice up the show.  "Power Stage" and "Rally 2" furthered my disinterest. 

#47 Morbus

Morbus

• 489 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 18:53

WRC - lack of cars, lack of TV coverage, dumbing down the races and the events

Indicar - stupid rules about overtaking/defending and shocking racing standards

#48 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 18:57

Some of you guys certainly hold grudges. I don't know what CART was like in 1983, but I know IndyCar in 2013 is excellent. Try it again next year.

#49 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,771 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 19:13

I don't know what CART was like in 1983

According to Youtube, kinda like F1. Not many cautions, not much happens, everyone breaks down. Then they go to Michigan and the announcers treat it like it's Rollerball, which in fairness it pretty much was.

This may be a hijack but I'm also interested in "Series you used to dismiss and then discovered were cool". Too much Jeremiah here.

Edited by Risil, 05 January 2014 - 19:16.

#50 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 19:20

According to Youtube, kinda like F1. Not many cautions, not much happens, everyone breaks down. Then they go to Michigan and the announcers treat it like it's Rollerball, which in fairness it pretty much was.

This may be a hijack but I'm also interested in "Series you used to dismiss and then discovered were cool". Too much Jeremiah here.

Look up the '85 Michigan 500. Emmo's first win.