- - - - -

Caterham F1 - 2014

• Please log in to reply
494 replies to this topic

#451 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 723 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 17:36

New parts eh? Can fluffy shed some light on what sort of updates will be?

Historically updates have always been a disappointment, they never seem to behave on the car as expected (thought I guess part of that was the pursuit of the EBD holy grail), however there has been a good buzz about the Toyota wind tunnel results so fingers crossed:)

Advertisement

#452 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,592 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 17:53

They'd better do something about those sidepods!

#453 Red17

Red17

• 3,196 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 18:29

Historically updates have always been a disappointment, they never seem to behave on the car as expected (thought I guess part of that was the pursuit of the EBD holy grail), however there has been a good buzz about the Toyota wind tunnel results so fingers crossed:)

Well, historically updates have been a new front wing followed by an update on the rear wing. Probably will be the same route.

I think it's still a bit early to start gambling on cooling, but the team has already admited in pre-season (before the Renault Horror Movie unfolded) that they were cautious on cooling.

#454 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 63 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 19:23

I dont think they are that bad really, especially if you compare with the Sauber.

#455 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,081 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 20:39

Inside the factory

Historically updates have always been a disappointment, they never seem to behave on the car as expected

Not true.

Well, historically updates have been a new front wing followed by an update on the rear wing. Probably will be the same route.

No.
When they bring many updates, they bring much more than a FW and a RW... and generally, their updates work pretty well.

Some of the changes between winter testing and Melbourne:
Diffuser, bodywork, rear wing support, monkey seat
Jerez
Melbourne
05644111.jpg

FW
caterh11.jpg

Edited by Alburaq, 02 April 2014 - 20:43.

#456 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 723 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:14

Not true.

By historically I mean previous seasons. There have been numerous times when an update that was going to propel the team into the midfield - didn't :lol:

As far as i'm concerned there are a few mechanical bits being tested in bahrein during the post race tests essentially to do with cooling and weight reduction...

And production are being pushed to test a new floor/diffuser and FW/RW for Barcelona ... so hopefully it does make it on the car !

To be honest I'll be happy in Barcelona if the team has nothing else but the PU running reliably at 100%,

Edited by mechadaniel, 03 April 2014 - 11:44.

#457 KTownDevil

KTownDevil

• 23 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 15:53

There was a small fire in Caterham factory in Leafield. 7 staff members were taken to hospital to be checked. Luckily they're all ok.

http://www.speedweek...-im-Spital.html [German].

#458 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,820 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:20

Some of the changes between winter testing and Melbourne:
Diffuser, bodywork, rear wing support, monkey seat
Jerez
Melbourne
05644111.jpg

Caterham is probably the only car whose rear end cooling opening has got tightened for Melbourne from pre-season testing config. :p

Edited by muramasa, 04 April 2014 - 10:21.

#459 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 7,818 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 19:09

So here we go.

GP2 pole lap: 1m38.865

Fastest Kamui lap Friday: 1m38.257

Fastest Marcus lap Friday: 1m39.136

That is what we were not supposed to see, hopefully they can do better during qualifying tomorrow.

:cool:

Advertisement

#460 BRG

BRG

• 11,069 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 19:58

Embarrassing for Ericsson - can't beat the fastest in GP2 even in a F1 car.

#461 Anders Torp

Anders Torp

• 463 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 20:55

Embarrassing for Ericsson - can't beat the fastest in GP2 even in a F1 car.

No, embarrassing for Caterham.

#462 Mohican

Mohican

• 685 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 13:25

Very embarrassing for Caterham. And even more so for Renault.

#463 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,592 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 17:58

And Kobayashi becomes the first guy to come up against the fuel limit....

#464 Mohican

Mohican

• 685 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 18:29

This really sucks. 2014 was the year that Caterham really should improve, and now the car appears reasonably OK - and the driveline is hopeless.

But now even Lotus can make their cars last the whole race (am disregarding the Maldonado effect); Ericsson now has had two races ruined by the driveline, and Kobayashi one. And the car is not quick enough either.

Depressing.

#465 DracoN

DracoN

• 836 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 18:32

This really sucks. 2014 was the year that Caterham really should improve, and now the car appears reasonably OK - and the driveline is hopeless.

:rotfl: less crack dude 

#466 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 8,870 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 18:35

I think Fernandes will go through with his threat to quit. QPR are also practically out of the automatic qualification spot for promotion back to the big money Premier League. The time has to come when he's realised he's flushed enough money down the toilet.

#467 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 5,355 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 19:05

But now even Lotus can make their cars last the whole race (am disregarding the Maldonado effect); Ericsson now has had two races ruined by the driveline, and Kobayashi one. And the car is not quick enough either.

Depressing.

Correction: 2014 was the year when Caterham would continue to do what they've done since they started: suck and not achieving much at all. 

#468 Mohican

Mohican

• 685 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:30

I do not think that a lack of results until now necessarily means that they will never come; but it is clear that the PU problems are very detrimental - and of course not foreseen prior to testing.

Risk of Fernandes losing heart is obvious, which would be a pity when you can at least see the scope for improvement, which was very hard a year ago.

#469 dau

dau

• 4,513 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:39

And Kobayashi becomes the first guy to come up against the fuel limit....

I really don't understand why. No other team has to run several seconds slower for a third of the race to save fuel. Bahrain is one of the harder tracks concerning fuel consumption, but unless they massively underfueled the car, that just doesn't make any sense. Same goes for Koba's strategy. He had comparable pace to Gutierrez most of the race, but they were so desperate to make it on two stops that they let him run until he was some 5s slower per lap at the end of the first stint. I wish they'd just try to be a little bit more aggressive on strategy, it's really getting annoying to see them try stopping once less than their competitors every single race. 

And now they're behind Marussia again, even though they clearly have the much faster car. Great stuff.

Edited by dau, 07 April 2014 - 12:57.

#470 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,592 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:46

Yes, it's a bit of a puzzle, isn't it? They said the safety car effed it all up for them but I get the impression something else must have happened as it can't have been that much of a hindrance. Like you say, KK was waaaaay faster than the Marussias for most of the race.

#471 KinoNoNo

KinoNoNo

• 167 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 13:51

Fuel issues? How the hell did they have fuel issues with that safety period.

I also can't figure out why they didn't take advantage of a free pitstop during the safety car. 

#472 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,820 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 14:20

According to Kobayashi, their strategy was that they expected to finish at least one lap down, so underfueled the car by one lap worth. Deliberately, not calculation mistake. But safety car came out so they had to make "1 extra lap" in order to go back to the same lap as the leader, which forced him to make fuel saving run for the reminder of the race after the restart.

He said that after the restart he was lifting off throttle by more than half at straight to save fuel which is the cause for the lap time drop. He didnt mention any other issues.

If his explanation is correct then I wonder that slow laps during safety car period dont do much in terms of saving fuel with current engine? Maybe that's because ERS dont get charged enough to be used?

#473 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 5,355 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 14:51

I do not think that a lack of results until now necessarily means that they will never come; but it is clear that the PU problems are very detrimental - and of course not foreseen prior to testing.

Risk of Fernandes losing heart is obvious, which would be a pity when you can at least see the scope for improvement, which was very hard a year ago.

Well I say it does. Not because a lack of results means that always will be the case but because Caterham has never ever since they joined F1 showed any signs at all to be competitive - i:e leaving the bottom of the pile and close the gap to the midfield teams and challenge them on pace. They haven't showed that on a single weekend or on a single day of running since they joined F1. And there was nothing suggesting they would do so this year. 

#474 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,469 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 14:57

I don't know if one is allowed to change predictions mid season, but I think that Caterham are a shoe in for tenth spot and the associated prize fund. I know people have been moaning on at Renault, but that power unit has way more potential than the anvil that Maranello have foisted on Sauber and Marussia!

#475 dau

dau

• 4,513 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 18:17

Fuel issues? How the hell did they have fuel issues with that safety period.

I also can't figure out why they didn't take advantage of a free pitstop during the safety car. 

Yea, that was weird as well. Unless they didn't have a usable set of options left, i can't think of a reason why they would just continue on the primes. Chiltons penultimate lap on his used softs was a tenth slower than Kobayashi's first lap on new mediums, that was before he started saving fuel. So even without that fuel issue, it would have been pretty difficult to keep that Marussia behind.

#476 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,124 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 18:55

So ugly and so slow. Hard to be a fan of Caterham.

#477 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,469 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:26

You do appreciate that they are now racing in the midfield competing against Sauber and Lotus?

#478 Mohican

Mohican

• 685 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:41

Must say that I do not share 4MEN's view above; on the contrary, I find the Caterham very distinctive looking - and the green & silver livery is much better than last year's yellow peril. 

#479 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,592 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 14:36

NEED MOAR DOWNFORCE!

Advertisement

#480 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 723 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 17:21

I don't know if one is allowed to change predictions mid season, but I think that Caterham are a shoe in for tenth spot and the associated prize fund. I know people have been moaning on at Renault, but that power unit has way more potential than the anvil that Maranello have foisted on Sauber and Marussia!

Indeed - and from tweets from Renault it looks like Caterham have the engine updates this weekend that RB & TR had at the last race. All they need is some downforce, they have the right people and the right wind tunnel, I'm looking forward to see what the European updates bring.

#481 dau

dau

• 4,513 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:58

So. Slow. That car can't get the primes to work at all. Too bad we didn't get to see that fight between Koba and Bianchi in the final laps. That looked pretty intense on the live timing.

#482 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,338 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:38

Even with the joint-slowest car on the grid, Koabayashi always produces excitement.  If he's not unlapping himself from Vettel, he's passing his main rival this year on the last lap. :)

#483 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 922 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:10

Even with the joint-slowest car on the grid, Koabayashi always produces excitement.  If he's not unlapping himself from Vettel, he's passing his main rival this year on the last lap. :)

Only to find out that the last two laps, due to an error with checkered flag (same as it was during 1985 British GP at Silverstone), are excluded from the protocol -- thus he is again behind him... :rolleyes:

#484 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,592 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:22

So. Slow. That car can't get the primes to work at all. Too bad we didn't get to see that fight between Koba and Bianchi in the final laps. That looked pretty intense on the live timing.

Yeah I was following it on the driver tracker. The icons just overlapped in the corners - you had to see them hit the straights to see who was ahead :)

#485 awizul

awizul

• 64 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:08

Another disappointing race, lets see what updates will bring on the next race, a much awaited breakthrough? otherwise, its going to be another shadow-catching season.  Tony has been very quite lately & these 1st 4 fly-away results doesn't helps either. :well:

#486 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 7,818 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:11

A flag waved incorrectly could cost a back of the grid team several million if it mean slipping a place in the WCC, that would be a very poor outcome of something which should be very very straightforward not to get wrong.

:cool:

#487 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,820 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:42

is Kobayashi the only driver who was affected by this silly checquered flag mistake? he sure has sth special :lol:

btw Kobayashi interview done in jp (done before the final outcome was released)

(on passing Bianchi)

- had to try to pass on corner as too slow on straight

- thought no problem even when the gap widened once. thought it was a matter of how. thinking had to try sth different at the end in order to pass

- passing Bianchi or not had no effect on WCC standing but pushed anyway cos team asked

- before the race start, a grid girl stepped on Ericsson's front wing and broke it

http://www.f1-stinge.../20/051266.html

#488 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,568 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:20

Such a shame that the TV cameras never bother to look at the back of the field because it seems like KK is doing an outstanding job with the Caterham.

#489 eronrules

eronrules

• 2,874 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:26

- before the race start, a grid girl stepped on Ericsson's front wing and broke it

http://www.f1-stinge.../20/051266.html

:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

how can an element that can produce kilos of DF be broken by stepping on??? these bimbos should be more watchful about what they step on. sheesh :smoking:

#490 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 747 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:43

how can an element that can produce kilos of DF be broken by stepping on??? these bimbos should be more watchful about what they step on. sheesh :smoking:

High-heels are lethal buggers

#491 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 286 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:06

I think Spain will be make or break is to if Caterham will score points this year.

#492 Mart280

Mart280

• 17 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:36

I'm really really dissapointed ith Caterham this season, this was the big chance with the rules reset for them to get amongst Sauber and Torro Rosso and fight properly with the midfield, but once again they are nowhere, I dont think Tony Fernandez helped with his pre season "pep" talk by telling them he has given them the best facilities and the best drivers (was he drunk or something) and then threatening to leave at the end of the year if things dont improve. why cant they improve ? this is their fith season with zero advancement.

#493 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,820 posts

Posted Today, 08:58

I do want to know the detail  :lol:

anyway briefly looked and searched through ChinaGP pics on some sites, and seems Ericsson was running with a new front wing on Friday and Saturday.

http://cdn-2.motorsp...687892/s1_1.jpg

On race day, there's one pic Ericsson's on track with new fw (probably taken when he was on the way to the starting grid)
http://nextgen-auto....na-race/136.jpg

and the another one hes on new fw, taken maybe when getting towed to the grid position

http://cdn-8.motorsp...688448/s1_1.jpg

but somehow, it seems he was running with the old wing throughout the race.

http://cdn-3.motorsp...689143/s1_1.jpg

http://nextgen-auto....na-race/222.jpg

so, it seems Ericsson indeed changed fw, to the old version i guess as there was no spare new wing, for the race, because of the damage suffered on the grid.

#494 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 5,355 posts

Posted Today, 09:17

I think Spain will be make or break is to if Caterham will score points this year.

Ehh that ship has already sailed. The train has left the station. 

#495 dau

dau

• 4,513 posts

Posted Today, 12:18

Ehh that ship has already sailed. The train has left the station. 

I think they'll get a few more chances when the teams try to stretch their PU component mileage at the end of the season. And maybe there'll be some rain races as well. Of course it would help if they could fight with Sauber on pace in the dry and if the car didn't go backwards every time they put the harder compound on. That looks like their main problem at the moment: In the first stint, on options, Koba was six-seven tenths faster than Bianchi. Then both switch to the mediums and suddenly, Bianchi is consistently faster by two-three tenths. And that's what happened in the other races as well.