- - - - -

Caterham F1 - 2014

• Please log in to reply
599 replies to this topic

#551 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,368 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:20

It could be worse. In 1992 the 2 Andrea Moda cars wouldn't have qualified for any of the F3000 races :)

They hardly made it out of the trailer. Let alone be on track. It is like the monster of Loch Ness. Some pictures claim its existance, but no-one for sure knows it is really there. :p

But poor again for Frijns. 3 times champion in every class leading to F1 and he is sidelined for the second year in a row. Why don't they take the other chassis?

Advertisement

#552 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,623 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 16:03

Caterham's priority should trying to find more speed in that shopping trolley rather than seat time for Frijns. Mind it's easier to make a quick car reliable than make a reliable car quick.

#553 Mohican

Mohican

• 767 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 18:41

Very disappointing chassis. To be consistently besten by both Marussias is readly depressing.
Like Ericsson's helmet this weekend, though.

#554 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 396 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 18:45

This pretty much confirms these guys (at least in this current guise) are not going to be around next year.

#555 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,887 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 13:59

Wonder what happened to Kobayashi there. Seemed to have Bianchi under control and be on for some points until the safety car but then was dog slow for the last part of the race. Car problem?

#556 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,342 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 14:01

Now this is the end for Caterham.

#557 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 14:04

Their final year surely? They'll find it hard to beat Marrussias Monaco points haul?

#558 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,011 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 14:06

Wonder what happened to Kobayashi there. Seemed to have Bianchi under control and be on for some points until the safety car but then was dog slow for the last part of the race. Car problem?

Yeah I was wondering this too. Everyone passed him including Ericsson who's been nowhere all weekend.

Shame, he had the speed and track position to get some points today, even if he couldn't keep Bianchi behind :(

#559 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,887 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 14:06

Their final year surely? They'll find it hard to beat Marrussias Monaco points haul?

Maybe they can beat Sauber's ;)

Advertisement

#560 sniper80

sniper80

• 519 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 14:39

Marussia's points are the nail in the coffin for Caterham. They are done.

#561 Mohican

Mohican

• 767 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 15:00

Agree it does not look good, but note Ericsson's consistently good lap times last 15 laps.
I venture that finishing P11 having started from the pit lane is at least as good a performance as some others in this race, it just gets overlooked.

There are too many doom-mongers on this thread. It is more important that the Caterham team is racing next year than that Tony F owns them.

#562 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,700 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 15:06

Yeah I was wondering this too. Everyone passed him including Ericsson who's been nowhere all weekend.

Shame, he had the speed and track position to get some points today, even if he couldn't keep Bianchi behind :(

When Kimi passed Koba, Bianchi dived on the inside into Rascasse, shoving him out of the way. He hit Kamui three times, damaging the rear of his car. A season-defining moment!

#563 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,623 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 15:22

This result was always on the cards, Marussia's trajectory has been upwards over the past 2 seasons while Caterham has been facing its nadir. What are the management going to do/ Will they introduce an aero update in the hope of finding more speed. Whatever they may say about their new facilities being cutting edge the stop watch does not lie.

Edited by Petroltorque, 20 August 2014 - 16:30.

#564 Jolkins

Jolkins

• 58 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 15:40

Gotta say it's hard to take them seriously. Will echo the previous statements - this is most likely their last year. :rolleyes:

All those resources and still no results to be proud of. Hell, Marussia has managed to be more consistent and outperform them on regular basis...

#565 Exb

Exb

• 1,161 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 15:47

Well I have no sympathy after seeing this message on the car this weekend

BoehU1tCQAAaReS.jpg

(I'm very sorry - I'm still feeling bitter  :evil: )

#566 Mohican

Mohican

• 767 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 15:50

QPR did better with Caterham today than Chelsea with Sauber.

#567 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,011 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 20:29

Sounds like it was that incident with Bianchi that ruined Kamui's race...

Kamui Kobayashi, car #10, chassis CT05-#02: "Even though I finished in 13th I'm really not happy as I'm sure I'd have finished in the points if Bianchi hadn't hit me when he forced his way past. The car was basically undriveable after that so just finishing is a good result, and the team did everything they could to help us finish as high as possible today - good strategy and great stops, but when you're overtaken by being hit out of the way it's obviously not good.

"I had a clean start, staying ahead of Bianchi and passing Chilton into turn one. Heading down towards the hairpin I avoided the debris from the Force India and was up to 15th under the safety car. With the retirements that was soon 13th and then 12th and the car felt pretty good at that stage.

"We stopped for the first time on lap 25 under the second safety car and went onto softs and rejoined in 12th with Raikkonen and Bianchi behind me. Then, as we went into the chicane after the tunnel, Bianchi hit me on the side and I had to cut through the chicane to avoid more contact. I don't really know why nothing was done about that as he basically just forced me out of the way by hitting me which meant both the Marussia and my teammate could pass and after that the car felt really bad. The impact had caused a lot of damage to the sidepod and the floor and I lost a lot of rear downforce so from that point I was losing time without being able to do anything about it.

"I managed to get the car home ahead of Chilton but with the way the race ended I think the whole team feel like we lost out through no fault of our own. We need to keep our spirits up and use this experience to make us even more determined to get ahead of our nearest rivals and we'll just keep pushing."

Read more at http://www.caterhamf...68DxxqEXCFfZ.99

It's a real shame because he's consistently been the best racer out of the 4 backmarkers, and he was up there again today when there were actual points available. But he got shafted :(

#568 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,700 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 21:54

As Kamui says, I still find it odd that there was no investigation. There usually is for incidents like these. Especially as this single pass made and broke Marussias and Caterhams seasons.

#569 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 22:02

BoehU1tCQAAaReS.jpg

That message in a Caterham must be what people call "English humour"  :p

#570 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,887 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 22:30

I think QPR are due a ginormous fine for making too large losses according to an article I read a few days ago, so Tony may need his money. If they don't pay it (as the reporter thought likely), I imagine it will go on litigation rather than Caterham anyway. Might be a good time to find alternative investors (preferably not dodgy Russian ones as Sauber did though!)

#571 ch103

ch103

• 709 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 00:10

http://www.f1fanatic...tic-round-2605/

Caterham up for sale as speculated by many.

#572 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,524 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 00:24

I think QPR are due a ginormous fine for making too large losses according to an article I read a few days ago, so Tony may need his money. If they don't pay it (as the reporter thought likely), I imagine it will go on litigation rather than Caterham anyway. Might be a good time to find alternative investors (preferably not dodgy Russian ones as Sauber did though!)

He'll have sold both QPR and Caterham within 18 months. Hasn't run either concern with anything like the sort of efficiency his airline seems to run on. QPR are a bloated mess playing at being a 'big' football club, and Caterham just don't have the facilities or the personnel to overhaul the inherent differences between them and the established order.

#573 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,524 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 00:26

BoehU1tCQAAaReS.jpg

Is this a pre-emptive message for when they get relegated next season?

#574 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 428 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 18:15

Team up for sale?

Tony Fernandes has taken the first steps towards selling Caterham with a memorandum being circulated in the Middle East according to reports.

The Malaysian told Sky Sports in January that this would be a "pivotal year" for his involvement in Formula 1 and it appears his patience has finally run out with Bloomberg claiming a price of £350 million has been set for the F1 team and car company.

http://www1.skysport...for-350-million

EDIT: Sorry ch103, didn't see you'd already posted the story.

Edited by DinocoBlue, 26 May 2014 - 18:16.

#575 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 1,196 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 23:03

Its time ... Fernandes did say that this is the year he was expecting some results from this team. I remember when he just came on the scene and the fight with lotus.. He had the passion and he spent (within reason) accordingly with upgrading facilities decent drivers and the like.  After all those years nothing to show for it ? yea .i would do the same thing too.. At least he was gracious enough to warn them that it was going to be the put up or shut up year... they were warned and they failed... time to cut the losses and face the consequences.

I still think hes a decent chap but sometimes you fail and you learn and move on.

Hopefully the team does not fold and gets purchased.  I also hope the person responsible for the design of this monstrosity gets a job in another field. 

#576 ch103

ch103

• 709 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 23:15

Team up for sale?

http://www1.skysport...for-350-million

EDIT: Sorry ch103, didn't see you'd already posted the story.

No problem at all.  More sources are appreciated.

Similiar to what MaxisOne said, I think the time is now for the current management team to move on.  Of the three "new" teams that emerged in 2009, this was the one that I thought could evolve into a solid competitor.  For a brief period of time, they signed Trulli and Heikki, and appeared to be building a foundation for future success. 

5 years later and they have been overtaken by Marussia.  Aside from hiring an Adrian Newey or Ross Brawn the next management team (if there is one) has a large amount of work on their hands.

#577 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,887 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 23:22

So do they someone decent? Or a bunch of Russian cowboys who want to put their protégée in a seat? ;)

#578 Paco

Paco

• 1,197 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:36

Insane valuation. What does the car company comprise of outside of the f1 race squad? Factory at most.. what.. 10m.. intellectual property.. 5m.. entry.. what 30m? At most, can't be worth more then 50m. Unless he's got a division bringing in 50-100m per year revenue that would be included.

#579 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,623 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:31

I'll try to put my two points into a single post. Firstly the Kobayashi overtake. I'm sorry but Kobayashi made a mistake. He let Raikonen through at the Rascasse while leaving the door open for Bianchi. The television replays showed him trying to close the door while Bianchi was two thirds along side. That's where the contact occurred. Consider that the Rascasse is a second gear 40km corner any slow speed contact will not be catastrophic.

The most disappointing aspect of Caterham is that they have been turning up with the same iteration car believing they will luck into a result. What Monaco showed is that one requires basic speed to challenge the top ten. One hopes that they introduce an aero update that can put them on par with Sauber. They still have a power unit advantage in Renault. I can see an investor buyout coming from Dubai/ Abu Dhabi given Fernandes' business background.

Edited by Petroltorque, 20 August 2014 - 16:33.

Advertisement

#580 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 756 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:26

BoehU1tCQAAaReS.jpg

Me too :( 

I'll try to put my two points into a single post. Firstly the Kobayashi overtake. I'm sorry but Kobayashi made a mistake. He let Raikonen through at the Rascasse while leaving the door open for Bianchi. The television replays showed him trying to close the door while Bianchi was two thirds along side. That's where the contact occurred. Consider that the Rascasse is a second gear 40km corner any slow speed contact will not be catastrophic. The most disappointing aspect of Caterham is that they have been Turing up with the same iteration car believing they will luck into a result. What Monaco showed is that one requires basic speed to challenge the top ten. One hopes that they introduce an aero update that can put them on par with Sauber. They still have a power unit advantage in Renault. I can see an investor buyout coming from Dubai/ Abu Dhabi given Fernandes' business background.

KK seemed to be inferring about a collision at the swimming pool chicane, not Rascasse

#581 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,700 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:32

Me too :( 

KK seemed to be inferring about a collision at the swimming pool chicane, not Rascasse

Which was quite odd as there was major contact at Rascasse where Bianchi passed him. But there may have been more than one incident.

#582 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,887 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:01

Which was quite odd as there was major contact at Rascasse where Bianchi passed him. But there may have been more than one incident.

He went off at the chicane and presumably felt he had to let Kimi through. Don't know if there was contact before though.

#583 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,993 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:13

about nouvelle chicane contact thing, I think obviously Caterham's PR guy who wrote that team review confused Kamui's battle with Kimi there with the Rascasse incident and mistook it.

As far as I know Kamui himself didnt mention anything about contact/incident at Nouvelle nor swimming pool, and surely he cannot make such misunderstanding.

#584 Red17

Red17

• 3,333 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:19

Firstly the Kobayashi overtake. I'm sorry but Kobayashi made a mistake. He let Raikonen through at the Rascasse while leaving the door open for Bianchi. The television replays showed him trying to close the door while Bianchi was two thirds along side. That's where the contact occurred. Consider that the Rascasse is a second gear 40km corner any slow speed contact will not be catastrophic.

Having seen the race I agree, Kobayashi picked the wrong place to let Kimi go, in hindsight the team should have told Kobayashi to release Kimi sooner as it was aparent that the Ferrari was faster, it was the wrong time to tackle the big sharks, they should have focused on their own war.

About the sale. As it was posted earlier this wasn't something that came out of the blue, warnings were in place last year and the team knew it had to deliver. Mark Smith's sacking may have been a last desperate move to keep the management on board (although one may argue that Smith's tenure coincides with the decline in form), but unless Caterham can somehow produce a B spec that is way faster the season is another write-off. Normally one would feel sorry but the writting has been on the wall for some time. A huge shakeup is in order, hopefully Fernandes will find someone who wants to run Caterham as a whole and not split it up like it happened to Lola.

#585 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 428 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 14:01

No problem at all.  More sources are appreciated.

Similiar to what MaxisOne said, I think the time is now for the current management team to move on.  Of the three "new" teams that emerged in 2009, this was the one that I thought could evolve into a solid competitor.  For a brief period of time, they signed Trulli and Heikki, and appeared to be building a foundation for future success. 

5 years later and they have been overtaken by Marussia.  Aside from hiring an Adrian Newey or Ross Brawn the next management team (if there is one) has a large amount of work on their hands.

I'm probably alone on this, but I think it would have been better if they had stayed as Lotus Racing, and Proton should have at least given them even the bare minimum of investment. I'm not saying that would have equated to instant results though. Plus they would have saved a shed load in having to go through re-branding everything twice.

But that ship has long since sailed.

#586 Kristian

Kristian

• 504 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 14:14

I met someone at a party the other night who knows some of the guys at the Caterham factory and he said that morale is pretty low, there is minimal investment and all the staff are hoping a sale will go through as they are convinced they won't be there next season otherwise. It doesn't sound great. 

#587 understeer

understeer

• 204 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 16:34

I blame Mike Gascoyne for the current status of Caterham.Over promised Under delivered.

#588 Paco

Paco

• 1,197 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 19:05

As for MikeG.. I was confused last last year why caterhham was lost with Mike there but came to learn his role is minor so its more tony then mike by a long shot.

#589 Paco

Paco

• 1,197 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 22:39

Penalty LOL.. for a bankrupt squad.. where is Bernie gonna collect from???  None of this is a surprise really.. the MSG pre-season was very clear.. make or break year and it's been probably worse then anyone could have imagined. 

Why keep dumping cash into a project that can not and has not shown itself capable of getting pasted its nearest competitor and is 3-5s off pace in an era of a second being a huge gap!

Bernie doesnt want anyone running this poorly on the grid anyway..

#590 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,416 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:18

Please discuss the sale in the other thread to prevent dilution of the discussion.

http://forums.autosp...terham-f1-sold/

I moved a few relevant posts across so it looks like DinocoBlue started it.

Thanks.

#591 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 428 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 18:20

I moved a few relevant posts across so it looks like DinocoBlue started it.

Thanks.

haha thanks I been trying to remember if I did... now I know! :yawnface:

#592 proviz

proviz

• 210 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:47

Perhaps time to bump this thread, what with Lotterer's arrival in the team at the expense of Kobayashi.

Seven months on I still haven't seen a plausible explanation for Ericsson's presence in the team. There have been suggestions of b2b arrangements etc., with use of TMG's windtunnel mentioned. Apparently Eje Elgh made a remark in the winter insinuating that he somehow managed to fix that. How? There's no such thing as a free lunch. If TMG let Caterham use their windtunnel, they must be expecting to get something in return. What would that be?

And if there is someone actually throwing money behind Ericsson, what can he possibly expect in return?

A theory of Volito renting Airbuses to Air Asia might have made sense, but that would only have benefited Tony F and he's gone now.

Utterly, totally baffling, all this.

#593 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,011 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 13:00

I'm officially done with this team. I was only supporting them because they hired Kobayashi instead of two random pay drivers this year.

I wonder if they will even have any chassis left by the end of the year. At the rate Ericsson is crashing them it's looking unlikely.

#594 Ducks

Ducks

• 75 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:51

Bvkb6MLIgAAEc3A.jpg

#595 Gridfire

Gridfire

• 836 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:41

Now that new nose looks a lot better. It's still not pretty...

#596 Kristian

Kristian

• 504 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:00

I really don't like the black, I'm sure it was green at the beginning of the season. 

#597 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,623 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:10

It's not a new nose, they have simply changed the vanity panel. They can't change the nose completely without a new crash test. I see they have a new engine cover with a smaller coke bottle.

#598 iii

iii

• 100 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:23

After the car got damaged at the last race its just as well they were working on a new nose as there was a good chance they had no nose to change it with

#599 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 972 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:26

Caterham-Formel-1-GP-Belgien-Spa-Francor

Advertisement

#600 Mohican

Mohican

• 767 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:43

Hopefully it will make the car go faster and not only look better. It is good to see Kolles & Co actually push change; certainly did not happen with Tony at the helm.