* * * * * 1 votes

Caterham F1 - 2014

• Please log in to reply
940 replies to this topic

#901 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 186 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:03

does it look at all likely that Caterham will be on the grid next year?

Advertisement

#902 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,796 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:41

I would not be surprised if Sochi was Koyashi's last race for Caterham. His post race comments are unlikely to endear him to Kolles and next week's FR3.5 is Mehri's last commitment in that series.

#903 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,478 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:33

I see a HRT scenario looming. They had ducttaped cars as well.

#904 Kac

Kac

• 79 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:18

I never see someone being retired because the brake is overheating. What they usually do is told the driver to be easy on the brake if it was overheating.
Is the rule in F1 allows for a car to be retired without a proper problem?

Given it was a different team and era but McLaren called HAM in to retire in Abu Dhabi in 2009 when they *thought* he had a problem with his right-rear brake. MW later did state to Lewis they had no choice to retire due to safety concerns but then that was ages ago..

The Caterham retirement does look weird..the least they could do is to update their driver..

#905 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,213 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:53

OK. From http://www.caterhamf...ssian-gp-sunday --

I might be wrong, but isn't brakes overheating something that drivers deal with all the time, every race? How can it result in a DNF so suddenly, without the driver even knowing that any problem exists?

Moreover, the quote even suggests the team itself wasn't sure what was wrong at the time, if they saw the reason only after analysing the telemetry  :drunk:

I might be reading too much into things, but this is seriously weird.

ok so now Kamui said he didnt feel anything particularly wrong with the brake prior to the retirement, and now confirmed on his youtube channel that the reason for retirement was to save components, not brake issue.

Interesting, but it would explain a few things.

Using parts beyond their life is a dangerous move.  Its not unheard of for poorer teams to do it especially in lower formulae but if anything goes wrong Caterham's owners would be in a very very difficult position if someone got hurt.  

Sky reported after they spoke to him when he retired that Kamui said off camera that he regretted returning to F1.  I can see why, Caterham must be a nightmare to work for whatever the role.  Not even being informed directly that you're racing at Suzuka and reading about it in the papers?  Thats not even cutting costs, thats plain poor communication.  If the rest of the team is run so poorly they are not going to be on the grid next season.

Last week he said there's no spare front suspension after the friday crash, so any more crash means literally no participation, that's it for the rest of the weekend. No supply parts arriving for Sochi it seems, so situation mustve been the same for Sochi too, that's why he (and Merhi, not sure about Ericsson) was imposed mileage restriction.

So now he confirmed retirement was to save components, I guess maybe it's more about saving powertrain, both PU and gearbox, that is more expensive than any other parts, but sure it couldve indeed been due to some parts exceeding its max life as well.

They dont even have spare parts for those new updates such as front wing, floor, bodywork, suspension anyway, that's why Kobayashi's car had to be reverted back to pre-post-summer-major-update one with nose cone as the only exception.

Usually you leave good amount of leeway regarding parts life and replace them well before its calculated use-by date, but even for those parts, one can imagine they are extending the usage to the max. I guess that might be why he's having those unattended malfunctions in shifts and brakes and overall car balance.

Actually they've been operating in this manner for the whole season too. In Oz, they had only one spare new front wing and few launch spec wings for two cars, also few spare parts. In China new wing arrived but only 1 for each, and Ericsson's wing got damaged by grid girl stepping on it before the race and in fact he was running with old wing for race. Also each time they made and brought new wing, Ericsson broke it and everytime it's broken, Ericsson was running with old wings.

Now season is ending and they are in some serious situation regarding parts/components, perhaps. Esp for flyaway races, they just cant do anything to rectify issues. Even if such is the case I wouldnt be surprised.

About Kobayashi regretting F1 return, I suspect it's some sort of translation error. Cos he repeatedly said he's happy to be in F1 despite difficulty and dedicating his all to racing for the team and fans, and help improving the team, was aware of risk but wanted to challenge rather than just sitting still. For me it looks he indeed has been doing his best, so I can't believe he actually said/meant that.

What he's alleged to have said to Japanese reporters is, "if there was any issue on the car, then why not not-starting it in the first place? The car needs a lot of work, but they dont let me work on it. What's the point of travelling all the way to Sochi? Maybe having come to Sochi was mistake, I even have to think that way. It's so disappointing/regrettable, esp because I find the circuit very enjoyable with many mid-speed corners."  http://as-web.jp/new...&no=60714#page2

His frustration in this particular situation is totally legit, because as a driver the minimum you expect should be equal machinery and sufficient logistic, at least not worry about parts life and be able to concentrate on driving and improving car/setup. Current Caterham cant even fulfill basic requirement as a team. Also for Sochi, he said he knew he would have to come to Sochi by making phone call to Kolles on Tuesday. So his dissatisfaction now is completely justifiable.

But I find it hard to believe he regretting F1 return itself.

#906 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 360 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:31

Apparently the cars have been sent to Germany not Leafield.

#907 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 442 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:44

Germany, where Kolles factory is. Also where the 'Forza Rossa' project car was being built. Coincidence? I think not  :stoned:

#908 BRG

BRG

• 11,668 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:44

Apparently the cars have been sent to Germany not Leafield.

And will be rebadged as Forza Rossa for 2016 doubtless....

Edit:  FullThrottleF1 was being cynical a moment before me! :drunk:

Edited by BRG, 13 October 2014 - 10:45.

#909 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,389 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:36

Well if that is the case and Caterham will be rebadged Forza Rossa, at least we won't lose another team (unless Sauber or Lotus go bust) but it also means we won't have 2 extra cars for a new team in 2015 which isn't good news.

#910 GhostR

GhostR

• 2,668 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:58

Kamui has struggled two races in a row now. What's going on? Has he got a cracked chassis?

I can't believe that Ericsson has magically picked up from being 1s off him every qualifying to being 0.5s infront of him. Something is not quite right over there.

Two sides to this:

I think the statements about finding a better brake-by-wire setup that helps Ericsson extract more out of the car are true. He's now giving Chilton a really hard time in qualifying and (as much as I hate to say it in the situation) was also making Bianchi's life much harder, so I think it's entirely plausible that he's found some pace he didn't have previous to Singapore.

On the flipside, it's pretty clear that Caterham are only fielding one "latest spec" car and that car has been given to Ericsson. I'd go so far as to suggest that this is a reversal of the situation prior to the team being sold. So we've gone from Koba in the best of the two cars and Ericsson struggling with the braking, to having Koba in the worse of the two cars and Ericsson happy with the braking.

Caterham management will be stroking Ericsson's ego currently (along with his sponsors) in order to keep his cash coming for next year. Koba won't be retained, so no need for ego stroking there; instead they're trying to find another driver to bring funds into the team.

In terms of trying to salvage 10th in the WCC, I think it's a misguided approach. Put Koba in the latest spec car for Sochi and I'd hazard a guess there would have been a Caterham in Q2 and red faces at Lotus after the race.

#911 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,061 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 13:29

This team has gone from bad to worse... the last thing KK needs is to end the year with a run of poor pace, as that will seriously hurt his chances of getting another drive in the future.

He's been great all year until Suzuka where he has always been awesome. I didn't hear the interview he gave after retiring from Sochi but the Australian commentators said it was very strange, and he hinted that he won't be back in the car.

I never thought I'd say this but I hope he gets the hell out of that miserable shell of a "team" with his own reputation intact :(

#912 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 14:07

This team has gone from bad to worse... the last thing KK needs is to end the year with a run of poor pace, as that will seriously hurt his chances of getting another drive in the future.

He's been great all year until Suzuka where he has always been awesome. I didn't hear the interview he gave after retiring from Sochi but the Australian commentators said it was very strange, and he hinted that he won't be back in the car.

I never thought I'd say this but I hope he gets the hell out of that miserable shell of a "team" with his own reputation intact :(

Not wanting to sound overly pessimistic, but it's over for him. He could barely scrape together the budget for Caterham this year and he didn't really have any standout performances this season either.There are lots of young talented drivers available for the midfielder teams and above and all the other teams are in desperate need for paydrivers. Either he thinks again about WEC, Super Formula or something or he's out of racing. I really can't see him in F1 from next season on. Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even finish this season.

As for Caterham, well, crap. I suspect they sent the cars to Kodewa mainly to not risk another encounter with The Sheriffs Office. I don't think they'll rebrand the team to Forza Rossa, even though Kolles is involved in both. Caterham has probably done about as much development on the 2015 car as Forza Rossa (i.e. nil) and they already have a 2015 slot, so there's nothing they would gain from associating with Caterham other than debts. They could just wait for Caterham to go belly-up and then buy the assets cheaply. No need to hurry for them.

#913 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,796 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 14:49

Dau, welcome back. You have been missed!

#914 Music Lover

Music Lover

• 348 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 14:50

As for Caterham, well, crap. I suspect they sent the cars to Kodewa mainly to not risk another encounter with The Sheriffs Office. I don't think they'll rebrand the team to Forza Rossa, even though Kolles is involved in both. Caterham has probably done about as much development on the 2015 car as Forza Rossa (i.e. nil) and they already have a 2015 slot, so there's nothing they would gain from associating with Caterham other than debts. They could just wait for Caterham to go belly-up and then buy the assets cheaply. No need to hurry for them.

Well, regardless if they havn't started on next years car (I do think they have) buying the team brings experience and knowledge from 2014 car and engine. = VERY valuable.

And then all facilities, infrastructure and employees!

#915 BRG

BRG

• 11,668 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 14:58

Well, regardless if they havn't started on next years car (I do think they have) buying the team brings experience and knowledge from 2014 car and engine. = VERY valuable.

I would be surprised if Forza Rossa have done more than sketch a car on the back of an envelope.  I think a Super Aguri V2.0 solution using the 2014 Caterhams must be a tempting idea.  Of course it will mean the team will go nowhere, but then did anyone ever expect it would?

Edited by BRG, 13 October 2014 - 14:59.

#916 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,796 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 15:06

Kolles German Facilities are F1 capable. He'd still need to outsource the fabrication, but all the race preparation could be done in situ. The only thing he'd need from Leafield is the design staff. I can't see what anyone would gain from taking over the Leafield setup part from a number of outstanding writs. Kolles best shot is to make the present setup work as the FIA are unlikely to grant an entry for Forza Rossa with him at the helm.

#917 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,708 posts

Germany, where Kolles factory is. Also where the 'Forza Rossa' project car was being built. Coincidence? I think not  :stoned:

Or, they risk being seized if returned to UK...

Regarding the speed of Kamui versus Ericsson: Difference in equipment does not fully account for the performance Ericsson found if you compare the qualy speed and race pace relative to the rest of the grid.

Edit: Left a open edit box and posted upon return to the computer; I now see that my points have been addressed since then.

Edited by Henrik B, 13 October 2014 - 15:11.

#918 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 442 posts

That seems possible.

I doubt it will be branded forza rossa, as that is not the team name, it is the name of the entrant.

#919 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 442 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 15:08

Petrol torque

They did grant entry to kolles, they just haven't announced their participation.

Advertisement

#920 BRG

BRG

• 11,668 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 15:09

I doubt it will be branded forza rossa, as that is not the team name, it is the name of the entrant.

Given the lack of any information about this proposed team, the actual name is a pretty minor matter.  

#921 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 442 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 15:13

I am just sharing my knowledge :-)

#922 SonJR

SonJR

• 162 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 15:22

Kolles German Facilities are F1 capable. He'd still need to outsource the fabrication, but all the race preparation could be done in situ. The only thing he'd need from Leafield is the design staff. I can't see what anyone would gain from taking over the Leafield setup part from a number of outstanding writs. Kolles best shot is to make the present setup work as the FIA are unlikely to grant an entry for Forza Rossa with him at the helm.

He doesn't even need the Leafield design staff. He can just as easily outsource to Dallara or another, less-known chassis designer, like he did at HRT. He had primarily German designers working on the 2011-2012 HRTs that weren't part of the actual team. Adding to that, I think there are even more parts you can buy off other teams now, to make this way of working even easier.

#923 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 442 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 15:35

How fast can dallara make a chassis though?

#924 chetwodetalbot

chetwodetalbot

• 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 15:39

Kobayashi's car is the same as Suzuka, that's why (see my post above).

His car uses old floor, old front wing, old suspension, old rear body, also he's imposed mileage restriction due to parts shortages.

Mileage restriction might be same for Ericsson too, but Kobayashi's car is plagued with terrible balance since Suzuka. It's only one week away so basically the same and no supply parts arriving.

At Sochi, He had brake vibration at FP3, and it got replaced but couldnt still find balance at all, so no proper setting done. He had same issue at Suzuka, terrible balance and one side of brakes burning. At Sochi as well brake overheating again, so must be consistent issue on car side, rather than individual parts .

At Qualy, he had issue in gearbox, during attack the gear suddenly gone to recovery mode and couldnt shift up properly.

I'm also reading that they are using parts and components reaching or beyond its life, so even if any failure or drop in performance occurs, they cant be replaced.

Ericsson's car might be ok for now but if anything happen to the other car, it should be the same as well. Team is struggling with money, I read some property at Leafield is seized so who knows what is or is not going on at their factory, and season is nearing to the end so I have to suspect making parts for current car is the lowest priority.

Are you talking about the same car, with the same old floor, old front wing, old suspension, old rear body and with a mileage restriction in which Roberto Merhi was running faster than Ericsson?

C'mon, Kobayashi is the most overrated driver in the last 10 years in F1. matched by Pedro de la Rosa, defeated by Checo Perez and about to be fired by Kolles because ha's not delivering at all...

#925 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,796 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 15:47

The time limited component is the tub since that has to be rigorously crash tested. The big teams can produce body work components within 2 weeks but it probably takes longer for small outfits. IIRC Kolles previous F1 projects used Holzer. Ravetto had said that Caterham had already done the initial design work for the 2015 car.

Edited by Petroltorque, 13 October 2014 - 16:00.

#926 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,061 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 16:04

C'mon, Kobayashi is the most overrated driver in the last 10 years in F1. matched by Pedro de la Rosa, defeated by Checo Perez and about to be fired by Kolles because ha's not delivering at all...

Did you just create an account to post this? Or have you been banned for posting similar garbage before and just created a new account?

Kobayashi has destroyed Ericsson this season and done the best anyone could expect in the worst car on the grid. It's no longer a fair fight and that's why he needs to get out of there.

#927 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,796 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 16:05

Are you talking about the same car, with the same old floor, old front wing, old suspension, old rear body and with a mileage restriction in which Roberto Merhi was running faster than Ericsson?

I have to agree that simply older spec parts would not explain the gap to Ericsson. Either Kobayashi has gone the wrong way on setup or there is a major flaw with his tub. Unfortunately Kolles won't be giving him a new one. If you look at past circumstances when a team give you a new chassis they are doing it as a last resort and the driver's card has been marked for dismissal.

Edited by Petroltorque, 13 October 2014 - 16:06.

#928 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,213 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 16:16

Such an ignorant post.

how can you conclude Merhi would be faster if he continued running? He need mileage and competitive time for SL so it's not far fetched to guess he was low on fuel.

Dont reply if you cant even read and understand posts, at Suzuka his car was suffering imbalanced brake, one side of brake was burning, etc. Also at Sochi he again had brake issue and shifting malfunction. Mileage limitation tend to blow more as you run more.

To add to it, for Sochi race, Kobayashi started with medium tyre while Ericsson started on softs, but Kobayashi's pace was relatively good against Ericsson where time difference b/w mid and soft was like 1 sec. At Sochi race, Kobayashi's pace on 15+laps old medium tyre with heavier car during lap 16-20 (he retired on lap 21) was better than Ericsson's pace on 6+lap old medium tyre with lighter (and better) car during lap 35-42.

You are right in one thing, majority of viewers only look at results and make conclusion without paying any effort of looking into what's going on. Maybe Kobayashi better escape quick in order to avoid reputation damage like this.

#929 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 17:08

Dau, welcome back. You have been missed!

Feels like home already, we're straight into a Kobayashi discussion.  :lol:

That's a Kolles operation we're talking about here, they will be more concerned with getting to the first GP at all rather than performance with the limited funds they have. Wouldn't be the first time we'd see a shakedown in FP1. Buying Caterham would be helpful of course, but it's not necessary for them at the moment and it's not like anyone else is going to invest there anytime soon. Also, as nice as Caterham's facilities, infrastructure and personnel are, you would have to pay the debts as well and provide funds to finish this season. And Kolles' factory/team seems capable enough to run a low-key operation, so they don't really need the Leafield factory either unless they could get it cheap.

But i wouldn't be surprised if Forza Rossa bought the CT05s, adapted them to the 2015 regulations and whatever engine they want to run and start the season with it. Would save them some crash tests and give a good starting point. I still hope Caterham will make it on their own somehow. 

#930 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 442 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 17:35

Here is my theory on what has happened and what will probably happen:

The FIA launched the application for new teams, FRR with Kolles sought an entry. They got an entry, but as far as I know they didn't have the funds to pay for entry. When, all of a sudden, Caterham came up for sale, much cheaper than getting a liscence.

The plan was to buy Caterham, learn as much as it could from the team, then at the end of 2014, scrap the leafield site (presumably to be snapped up by a certain Mr.Haas) taking whatever resources were useful and moving the operation to Kolles factory in Germany. Then with a Caterham designed car, or one that is based heavily on one, enter the 2015 season as Forza Rossa or whatever they are called.

#931 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 848 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 18:08

You are right in one thing, majority of viewers only look at results and make conclusion without paying any effort of looking into what's going on. Maybe Kobayashi better escape quick in order to avoid reputation damage like this.

Given that half the viewers barely even notice the back markers and that the gaps between the Caterhams and Marussias are rarely properly shown since they are usually just +1 Lap, I doubt it will make too much difference to his reputation.

To the people who matter, they will know his ability and know the real issues going on in the cars that will be affecting his performance.

Afterall, Timo Glock didn't really suffer from his period in the Marussias, while Heikki still has his fans despite enduring seasons in green.

#932 pdac

pdac

• 908 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 19:42

Or, they risk being seized if returned to UK...

Exactly.

#933 iii

iii

• 263 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 20:09

Here is my theory on what has happened and what will probably happen:

The FIA launched the application for new teams, FRR with Kolles sought an entry. They got an entry, but as far as I know they didn't have the funds to pay for entry. When, all of a sudden, Caterham came up for sale, much cheaper than getting a liscence.

The plan was to buy Caterham, learn as much as it could from the team, then at the end of 2014, scrap the leafield site (presumably to be snapped up by a certain Mr.Haas) taking whatever resources were useful and moving the operation to Kolles factory in Germany. Then with a Caterham designed car, or one that is based heavily on one, enter the 2015 season as Forza Rossa or whatever they are called.

This is the most likely option but why take on a team with a mountain of debt ? it can only work if you can lose the debt and as ppl have said the company that owns the f1 licence is nothing to do with them

maybe that's there plan buy a company then screw the creditors over and start a fresh  

but then if they did using the old designs as a re badged as farza rossa would that  be risky from a legal view?  

Edited by iii, 13 October 2014 - 20:13.

#934 pdac

pdac

• 908 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 21:02

This is the most likely option but why take on a team with a mountain of debt ? it can only work if you can lose the debt and as ppl have said the company that owns the f1 licence is nothing to do with them

maybe that's there plan buy a company then screw the creditors over and start a fresh  

but then if they did using the old designs as a re badged as farza rossa would that  be risky from a legal view?  

I guess Kolles is getting some of the money back by paying himself to prepare the Caterham cars for Austin. He's probably paying that bill on time and leaving other suppliers to hope for something when the administrators move in later this year.

#935 givemeabettercar

givemeabettercar

• 32 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 21:28

He beat De La Rosa 32-6, he got more points than Perez in their 2 years together, and everyone can see that if he had money he would have probable have a contract for next year, and his seat wouldn't be even in question.

#936 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 1,445 posts

Posted Today, 11:12

So after his comments and photographs my guesses are Kobyashi will not be in the seat at the U.S. GP onwards, who'll be daft enough to slip into that vacancy? Will Caterham even race?

#937 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 3,177 posts

Posted Today, 15:30

The real reason that Kobayashi retired the car.
ddce980c-df85-4d50-a372-26e15007dbe6_zps

#938 Mohican

Mohican

• 794 posts

Posted Today, 15:40

Is this a photograph taken/published by Kobayashi himself ? His name appears on the left.

#939 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 1,445 posts

Posted Today, 16:02

Yea he posted it on his own facebook page

Advertisement

#940 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 1,445 posts

Posted Today, 16:04

http://www.jamesalle...ian-grand-prix/

#941 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 3,177 posts

Posted Today, 16:05

Yes, it's from his facebook page I am told. There is also a text in Japanese in which, I am told, he's quite scathing with regard the safety of the car. I do not have a facebook account so cannot access it.