20 Feb   Bahrain International Circuit    

21 Feb   Bahrain International Circuit    

22 Feb   Bahrain International Circuit    

27 Feb   Bahrain International Circuit    

28 Feb   Bahrain International Circuit    

1 Mar   Bahrain International Circuit    

2 Mar   Bahrain International Circuit

2014 F1 Winter Testing Schedule.

Edited by Timstr11, 09 January 2014 - 10:05.

Advertisement

#2 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,629 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:04

Boullier said other teams would follow their lead and miss the test.

"You will see, we will not be the only team not being in Jerez (the first test in southern Spain)," he said. "I know this for a fact already."

Which other team(s)??? I wonder. RedBull?

Edited by Timstr11, 09 January 2014 - 10:12.

#3 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:18

RedBull and Caterham.

#4 wonk123

wonk123

• 926 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:20

Maybe all the Renault powered teams??

#5 Exb

Exb

• 1,221 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:24

http://www.gpupdate....iss-first-test/

Caterham have already said (via twitter) that they will be at the first test and are unveiling there new car on 28th at Jerez.

#6 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 785 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:30

Maybe Marrussia, they always seem to miss the first test!!

#7 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,629 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:30

If more Renault teams fall off this will be a setback for Renault as well. Not just individual teams.

#8 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,629 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:33

I think it's Redbull. I remember reading Horner asking for a delay as well.

#9 Exb

Exb

• 1,221 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:40

There was 1 article in an italian? publication that mentioned Horner had asked for a weeks delay due to the engine not being ready, the article suggested the car was on schedule for the first test, however the fact Caterham have announced they will be attending suggests they know the Renault engine will be available.

#10 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 785 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:46

So who are those confirmed will be unveiling their cars and attending the Tests

Redbull - TBC

Mercedes - Yes

Ferrari - Yes

Lotus - No

McLaren - Yes

Force India -TBC

Sauber - TBC

Toro Rosso - TBC

Williams - TBC

Caterham - Yes

Marrussia - TBC

#11 Zava

Zava

• 4,978 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:56

hey Exb, don't get in the way of some quality wishful thinking!   ;)

no way red bull will miss the first test if renault can provide something to test with (and seeing caterham will be there, they are able to do so) it doesn't have to be the most up-to-date version (considering the rumours that renault might be running late with the engine), just something that works.

#12 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,629 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:12

I don't think Boullier considers Marussia as their peer, so it must be a higher profile team he's referring to.

#13 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 161 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:32

will lol hard if all the Renault teams miss the test and turn up the second test way off the pace or breaking down all the time... :rotfl:

#14 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,899 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:34

If Red Bull missed the test it has to be engine related - that is the only scenario that EB would be privy to. 

#15 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,545 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:40

Sauber could be a candidate for missing the test, considering the financial issues the team was facing last year...

#16 redviper22

redviper22

• 89 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:49

hey Exb, don't get in the way of some quality wishful thinking!   ;)

no way red bull will miss the first test if renault can provide something to test with (and seeing caterham will be there, they are able to do so) it doesn't have to be the most up-to-date version (considering the rumours that renault might be running late with the engine), just something that works.

I wouldn't be so dismissive. They missed the first test in 2009 and also in 2010 because they wanted more wind tunnel time to optimise the car.

#17 Zava

Zava

• 4,978 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:02

I wouldn't be so dismissive. They missed the first test in 2009 and also in 2010 because they wanted more wind tunnel time to optimise the car.

yeah, but:

-those years had 15 days of testing, and they only missed the first 3, which means they only lost 20% of testing, while this year they would lose 4 of 12 total (33%), also there is a comfy gap between the first and the second tests (~3 weeks), while there is only 5 days between the 2nd-3rd tests, and less than 2 weeks between the 3rd test and the GP weekend, so there would be not that much time to work around problems;

-those years they didn't have a new engine that will have a design freeze after the first 2 tests, this year they do. what would they do if they arrive to the 2nd test and face a major problem with the engine? they could only guess the solution to the problem, and not testing it on track, before freezing the engine design.

this is what they lose, compared to extra 3-4 weeks extra designing the chassis, wings, etc. I think if you ask any of the TPs if they want to miss the first test for extra design time, they'll be like "thanks, we'll pass on that".

#18 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:56

Anyone wants to take bets on how many engines will blow in Bahrain? 

#19 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 134 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 15:23

Anyone wants to take bets on how many engines will blow in Bahrain? 

Since Webber aint around no-more, i am guessing none.

;)

Advertisement

#20 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,601 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 16:03

Carteham selling hospitality packages for £350/person/day.

Wish I lived nearby...

#21 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 16:46

If Red Bull missed the test it has to be engine related - that is the only scenario that EB would be privy to. 

Has Lotus even signed the engine deal with Renault?

#22 Risil

Risil

• 13,747 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 19:58

Wow!

#23 Doogz

Doogz

• 19 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 21:07

Are engine unit numbers unlimited during testing? I'd imagine pre-season the are free to use as many as they need (does a mileage limit still apply?). What about for the new in-season testing?

#24 Risil

Risil

• 13,747 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 23:29

Anyone know what sort of media coverage is planned for the first test? TV, radio, Autosport sending a journalist or two out there?

#25 Red17

Red17

• 3,350 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 23:40

Anyone know what sort of media coverage is planned for the first test? TV, radio, Autosport sending a journalist or two out there?

Im counting on AS to bring us it's live update commentary as they have each year.

SkyF1 may do like last year and send a small team as well. (it would be foolish not to)

#26 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,557 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 23:52

Since Webber aint around no-more, i am guessing none.

;)

Well it's then that we'll learn if Ricciardo has taken Webber's place 'for real'....

#27 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 468 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 00:04

Im counting on AS to bring us it's live update commentary as they have each year.

SkyF1 may do like last year and send a small team as well. (it would be foolish not to)

About on hour every night from what I've read, 30 mins general round-up and 30 mins Ted's Notebook.

#28 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 785 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 00:10

Does anyone know the url for the Greek site that was being used for testing times last year.

#29 Zava

Zava

• 4,978 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 00:17

Does anyone know the url for the Greek site that was being used for testing times last year.

it was msfree.gr I think (I liked f1tests.info more)

though we've got 18 days until the first test, so no need to hurry in racking up the timing links. 

#30 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,306 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 00:24

Probably stating the obvious for everyone, but this is the most important preseason testing since 2009.

There will be rapid updates in the first 6 months of the season, so if you start out infront it doesn't mean that you will be the 4 time champions for the next 4 seasons.  It could be possible to win the first few races and slip back.

However, it could also mean that your core car concept and engine are best suited to the new regulations and that might not change despite people's updates.  Merc or Ferrari especially, could be very strong.  Redbull have even more chance now, as opposed to 2009 due to more resources and experience within the team.  But it doesn't mean they will be the one.  The last few seasons, winter testing has sort of felt like it's redundant, and we knew who'd be strong in Melbourne, but now it's all been scrambled.

I guess it's just good to have some unpredictability into the sport again, even if it will only be temporary.  Eventually, the order will settle down.. but in the mean time.. the reliability and order will spice it up a bit.

#31 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,933 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 00:46

Probably red bull,

they routinely miss the first test of the year.

they tend to keep the car in the wind tunnel as long as possible.

Considering the powertrain changes this year though, im not sure that would be wise.

#32 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,417 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 00:50

Truth be told I am not sure how much we will be able to tell from the tests this winter, not even until we get 4 or 5 races in will we see who has clearly got it right I don't think. If we get into the season and it is an RBR cakewalk I think I might curl up and cry...

#33 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 653 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:38

Are engine unit numbers unlimited during testing? I'd imagine pre-season the are free to use as many as they need (does a mileage limit still apply?). What about for the new in-season testing?

For pre-season testing the engine still not homologated so no limits I think. Only the test car limited to one car per team. During in-season testing I'm not so sure.

Edited by Reinmuster, 10 January 2014 - 03:40.

#34 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,557 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:00

Am not attending Jerez this year as decided that I didn't fancy shelling out a decent amount of money to see 'some' cars tentatively run, possibly running out of fuel a lot and suffering other mechanical maladies.

Hope to see some decent action on the interwebs though as inevitably I'll be refreshing every live feed going for the test session duration.

I think the other teams that'll miss Jerez are Marussia and maybe Sauber... they're the next poorest to Lotus and you'd suspect that even though RBR have missed first tests in the past, they'll want as many miles on the powertrain as possible and given their Renault works status they are the benchmark for the Renault Sport guys to do their work off.

#35 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 837 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:47

I think Lotus missing the test could be engine related, but more likely because they have no confirmed engine! Red Bull will be there. As the works Renault squad they would have too much riding on it just to miss a deadline and skip it.

#36 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 785 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:54

though we've got 18 days until the first test, so no need to hurry in racking up the timing links. 

thanks !!

#37 Exb

Exb

• 1,221 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:54

Found an interview with Adrian Sutil where he talks about Lotus missing the first test

"This is a very important test and we don't have much so I think it's clear that it will be a disadvantage for Lotus," added the German, "But who knows why they decided it? I would say it is definitely not good."

http://uk.reuters.co...N0KI3YN20140108

In my opinion if he knew Sauber were not able to make the test he would not have said this about Lotus so I am expecting Sauber to be present in Jerez (or at least planning to be).

#38 Owen

Owen

• 10,473 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:45

Comings and goings of some the of the F1 tech bods is gathered here; (in case anyone's interested)

http://joesaward.wor...the-f1-iceberg/

#39 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,063 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 14:21

Got info that @OfficialSF1Team , @clubforce & @ToroRossoSpy will be definitely testing in Jerez. Unveil dates not set yet.

Advertisement

#40 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,629 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 14:25

So if Bouillier's info is correct, that leaves Redbull and Williams and Marussia.

One of these 3 will skip. 

#41 fluffy38

fluffy38

• 85 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 14:39

Lotus arent going to Jerez because they can't pay some of their suppliers...

Just because the engine deal with renault hasnt appeared in the press doesnt mean they won't have Renault engines...

#42 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,419 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 14:46

I'll see about getting you guys some nice photos from Jerez like I've done the past couple of years. I'm particularly excited about this year's test, to be in the first group to see the new cars running in real life for the first time. Well OK I'll probably be going on the Friday but still.

#43 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 17:17

Yep, they are my bet too.

Maybe all the Renault powered teams??

I don't think so.

I think it's Redbull. I remember reading Horner asking for a delay as well.

This

I agree, it would be fantastic to have f1test.xxx back back.

I'll see about getting you guys some nice photos from Jerez like I've done the past couple of years. I'm particularly excited about this year's test, to be in the first group to see the new cars running in real life for the first time. Well OK I'll probably be going on the Friday but still.

Thanks for that! :up:

#44 Module

Module

• 644 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 17:26

Got info that @OfficialSF1Team , @clubforce & @ToroRossoSpy will be definitely testing in Jerez. Unveil dates not set yet.

As Caterham is also going and now TR "confirmed" all speculation about Lotus or RBR not going because of Renault can be burried?

#45 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 17:37

I agree, it would be fantastic to have f1test.xxx back back.

I saved the link from last year http://f1tests.info/2013.php maybe it will work maybe not.

#46 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,629 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:16

Marussia confirms they will be at the Jerez test: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/112095

So that leaves Redbull and Williams to confirm.

Was Bouillier talking nonsense?

"You will see, we will not be the only team not being in Jerez (the first test in southern Spain)," he said. "I know this for a fact already."

We shall see.

#47 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,306 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 14:31

Truth be told I am not sure how much we will be able to tell from the tests this winter, not even until we get 4 or 5 races in will we see who has clearly got it right I don't think. If we get into the season and it is an RBR cakewalk I think I might curl up and cry...

Yeah, and that's what makes it fresh and exciting.

Modern F1 is so much like a spec series in terms of how close the competition is, but for the first half of this season at least.. there will be a proper development race and an unpredictable order.  And even if a team is infront or behind, there will be plenty of chances to catch up before everything settles down.  Unless someone designs an engine that is clearly above the rest but even then.. the others will have a chance to catch up.

#48 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:10

Williams will be in Jerez with a new car, acccording to Massa.

http://grandepremio....-com-carro-novo

So it's becoming kinda short of options to confirm Boullier's words... But Red Bull seems to be a possibility indeed.

Edited by Anderis, 12 January 2014 - 11:13.

#49 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,810 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:31

I'm expecting a lot of reliability issues in the first few days, a lot more then in recent years.

#50 michaelmyers

michaelmyers

• 63 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:41

Turun Sanomat is confirming that all the teams except for Lotus will be at the first test.

http://www.ts.fi/moo...Jerezin testiin

Wouldn't be the first time Boullier told us something else than the truth.

Edited by michaelmyers, 12 January 2014 - 12:42.