Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Massa suspects Alonso knew about crashgate..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
256 replies to this topic

#1 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:38

Gloves off!

http://www.f1fanatic...crashgate-plan/

Interesting that Felipe's commented and that he's going to speak to Pat Symonds about it, I would have thought it would have been swept under the carpet by now. I guess it did potentially lose him a WC though..

Edited by Brandz07, 09 January 2014 - 12:44.

Advertisement

#2 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:47

well, wasn't this an open secret ever since the 2009 reveal? these people who gave a confession: Briatore, Piquet jr, Symonds... and the misterious witness X, who got 100% protection of his/her identity. who could that be? :rolleyes:

nevertheless, this some real pathetic backwards whooting by Massa. :down:

#3 Coral

Coral

• 6,727 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:47

Whether Alonso did or did not know about it, what does it matter now? It was more than five years ago. Massa still comes across as very bitter, and it's no coincidence that he drags this up again now that he has left Ferrari. It happened, it's over, it's time to move on.

#4 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:51

Unfortunately Massa pins the single reason for him losing the WDC on that particular race. He forgets his first few races, Spa where Lewis unfairly had the win take off him and also the pit infringement Massa got a fine for yet Sutil got a time penalty in Hungary. It was aseason where so many variables could have swayed the result and Massa really needs to let this one go. Change the record little guy :)

#5 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:51

Pretty sad for Felipe. He sounds very bitter.  I guess after 4 years together, his relationship with Fernando isn't that close.

Everyone involved in that 2008 fraud, Flavio, Symonds and Piquet --who lost his F1 career over the incident, and has the most reason to throw Alonso under a bus -- has stated that Fernando had no knowledge. Felipe should take his grievance to the FIA, or, at least share what proof he has that Alonso knew. If his fellow Brazilian, Piquet denies it, who is telling Felipe it's true?  

#6 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,029 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:52

he's bitter and he should be about it. if alonso knew and went ahead with this he should have received some sort of penalty for cheating.

#7 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:54

Unfortunately Massa pins the single reason for him losing the WDC on that particular race. He forgets his first few races, Spa where Lewis unfairly had the win take off him and also the pit infringement Massa got a fine for yet Sutil got a time penalty in Hungary. It was aseason where so many variables could have swayed the result and Massa really needs to let this one go. Change the record little guy :)

These you mentioned were racing incidents, which Hamilton had a few of for himself, unlike Chrashgate which was not. Apples and oranges.

#8 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:56

he's bitter and he should be about it. if alonso knew and went ahead with this he should have received some sort of penalty for cheating.

If he had negotiated with the FIA to testify as a witness, he would have got the same privileges he got for his part in Spygate. We will never know the identity of Witness X however and shouldn't assume it was Alonso. This really needs to be forgotten about now IMO. Time moves on and so should F1 :)

#9 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:56

I think it's highly likely that Alonso knew about it...... In one way or another. But it's old news as far as debating the issue is concerned.

I can understand why Massa still has the hump over it though...... Although as tifosimac pointed out - that one event wasn't the only reason why Massa missed out on the WDC.

#10 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:57

This is either one or two things, as to why Massa is dragging this up

A. he is thinking back, and understands that it was his only real shot at being Champion, given his future prospects, and knows now that he is not in the same team as Alonso, he can talk more openly about it without risking his current job.

B. he has been given some new information and evidence either recently or at his time with Ferrari about the incident that suggests Alonso knew.

My opinion is that Alonso probably did know, but until their is definitive proof, I can not say for certain.

#11 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:57

These you mentioned were racing incidents, which Hamilton had a few of for himself, unlike Chrashgate which was not. Apples and oranges.

Very true but two of these racing incidents involving both Massa and Hamilton had outcomes manipulated by the stewards that were inconsistent. Thats racing and thankfully it has got much better these days in terms of decision making in the stewards room. :)

#12 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:59

The bolded is the problem isn't it? Don't go making spurious and explosive allegations like that unless you have iron clad proof. Incident was investigated by the FIA and people were tossed out of the sport (Forever...until forever became a little while). Alonso was cleared. If Massa has some new information the FIA wasn't privvy to, he should share it with them...or shut up with those allegations!

Edited by PoleMan, 09 January 2014 - 13:02.

#13 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:00

also, someone tell him it was not Piquet crashing that made him fall back, it was his team's inability to produce a normal pit stop that lost him that race, so he should stop blaming outside factors, and start putting the blame on the team, or himself (australia, malaysia, silverstone, japan, etc anyone?) 

also, how pathetic would it be to change the outcome of the 2008 WDC 1 year later, despite the WDC being totally innocent in this case, hence not worthy for a penalty that big? how pathetic is it to actually want the WDC trophy to be handed over to him that way? 

the most (best?) they could've done is DSQ Alonso from the race, and leave the 1st spot empty, and not change anything else.

Edited by Zava, 09 January 2014 - 13:01.

#14 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:01

Well, duh.

No prizes for guessing who the "anonymous whistle-blower" was. Same guy who kindly let the FIA know what McLaren was up to in 2007.  ;)

Alonso was cleared.

You don't seriously think the FIA would be stupid enough to ban one of the sport's biggest stars (and pretty much the only reason F1 is popular in Spain) do you?

Edited by JHSingo, 09 January 2014 - 13:03.

#15 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:01

the most (best?) they could've done is DSQ Alonso from the race, and leave the 1st spot empty, and not change anything else.

That would actually be a very good idea  :up:

#16 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 2,151 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:03

Who doesn't think that Alonso knew??

#17 Outsider

Outsider

• 934 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:04

Pretty sad for Felipe. He sounds very bitter.  I guess after 4 years together, his relationship with Fernando isn't that close.

Everyone involved in that 2008 fraud, Flavio, Symonds and Piquet --who lost his F1 career over the incident, and has the most reason to throw Alonso under a bus -- has stated that Fernando had no knowledge. Felipe should take his grievance to the FIA, or, at least share what proof he has that Alonso knew. If his fellow Brazilian, Piquet denies it, who is telling Felipe it's true?  

it has always amazed me why should everyone protect Alonso and lie about this matter, and as you pointed out especially Piquet, why would he still keep on lying about Alonso's involvment.. i think Massa is just bitter and even if i wished for Massa to win it that year, i know that Hamilton deserved it more

#18 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:05

"Massa suspects Alonso knew about crashgate".

Well, he's not the only one. 

Puts his loyalty at Ferrari under new light. Playing second fiddle to the driver he thinks cheated him out of a WDC... 

#19 george1981

george1981

• 1,366 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:08

I think witness X was unmasked as Alan Permane.

http://www.crash.net...y-revealed.html

Personally I'm not entirely sure that Alonso knew about it. If you watch the video of him and the other drivers just before the podium ceremony he seems very happy, he goes on to say something like, "I only won because of that safety car." I don't know the exact wording but it was something similar.

Personally if I had been involved in that incident I wouldn't do or say anything to draw attention to the safety car.

Advertisement

#20 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:11

I think witness X was unmasked as Alan Permane.

Personally I'm not entirely sure that Alonso knew about it. If you watch the video of him and the other drivers just before the podium ceremony he seems very happy, he goes on to say something like, "I only won because of that safety car." I don't know the exact wording but it was something similar.

Personally if I had been involved in that incident I wouldn't do or say anything to draw attention to the safety car.

Yep. His initial reaction in the room before the podium ceremony was not at all one that you would expect from someone who knew of the plan. Unless people want to credit him with some serious acting skills that has heretofore not surfaced anywhere else. 

#21 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:16

Maybe I've been reading too much into it, but I was under the impression that Massa had always been rather passive aggressive about this issue in relation to Alonso.

Did Alonso really not know about the scheme? I find that very hard to believe, but without proof we can't know for sure.

#22 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:17

Massa's been blaming Renault, including Alonso, for costing him the world championship for years, so it's really not that surprising he still holds this view.  For instance, here back in 2009 in the context of the announcement of Alonso joining the team:

http://www.formula1n...out-conspiracy/

I'd be more shocked by a story saying 'Massa to stop banging on about Singapore 2008'.

#23 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:19

Ooh, Felipe, you cynic! Next he'll be trying to suggest that David Icke isn't really the messiah and that Harold Camping's apocaliptic predictions aren't completely reliable!

In terms of what might have been, to be honest I've always had more sympathy with Rosberg's claim that he should have won the race, than with Massa's claim that the incident cost him the title. Massa's claim is based on imagining what would have happened if there had been no intentional crash and no safety car (i.e. Massa feels he would have won the race rather than being 13th, but there is no way of knowing that), whereas Rosberg's claim is based on what would have happened if the FIA had detected and dealt with the cheating in a timely fashion. As Rosberg crossed the line second, it is pretty hard to dispute the notion that, if the FIA found out what had happened on the day of the race, or maybe a week after the race, Renault would have been kicked out of the event and the victory would have been given to Rosberg, the highest placed finisher who wasn't cheating.

At the end of the day, safety cars happen, for all sorts of reasons, and Ferrari reacted to it by panicking and botching a pitstop, whereas Mclaren got their pitstops right. That's one of the reasons the WDC eluded them that year. There are other reasons, too, some to do with luck (if the heavy rain held off another 45 seconds at Interlagos...), some to do with Felipe not doing the perfect weekend, some to do with the pitcrew. It doesn't make sense to blame Renault because although the safety car hindered Ferrari, it hindered Mclaren too, but Mclaren still picked up a podium for Hamilton because they didn't make a mistake in the pits.

#24 redviper22

redviper22

• 89 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:20

The FIA hired a former detective superintendent of 30 years to interview Alonso. He was convinced Alonso was telling the truth. Of course I'm sure all the arm chair experts on here know better.

And it was the botched pitstop which cost Massa the race, not Piquet crashing.

#25 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:23

Who doesn't think that Alonso knew??

Braitore. Symonds. Piquet. The FIA. But I acknowledge some forummers who "go with their gut," in the absence of evidence, are whole hog with the conspiracy theory.

#26 Outsider

Outsider

• 934 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:27

Massa's been blaming Renault, including Alonso, for costing him the world championship for years, so it's really not that surprising he still holds this view.  For instance, here back in 2009 in the context of the announcement of Alonso joining the team:

http://www.formula1n...out-conspiracy/

I'd be more shocked by a story saying 'Massa to stop banging on about Singapore 2008'.

I have already said several times what I thought about it and now it’s time to close that chapter and to look to the future.

clearly he still hasn't closed that chapter

#27 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:28

Braitore. Symonds. Piquet.

Yes, because they are all entirely credible, aren't they? So much so, they still give conflicting information of whose idea it was in the first place. So one of them still isn't telling the truth.

As for the FIA, they're probably as clueless as everyone else or know the full story, but don't want to create an even bigger storm by annulling the race/banning Alonso, or whatever.

It'll remain one of the sport's biggest secrets about what really happened, and we'll probably never find out. That's why there is still speculation years after it happened, and those types of comments from Massa.

Edited by JHSingo, 09 January 2014 - 13:29.

#28 george1981

george1981

• 1,366 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:31

Although I think Alonso did not know before hand I think he must have had his suspicions afterwards. I'm also not sure the entire truth has come out about the affair. 

Something I find troubling is that Max Mosley knew about Crashgate several months before Piquet was sacked, which was when Piquet made a statement and the FIA launched an investigation. Mosley was meant to be a lawyer and President of the FIA yet he does nothing even though he is aware of serious misconduct? Mosley said he couldn't do anything until Piquet made a statement which I think is untrue, Mosley could have started an investigation and made Piquet give a statement long before Piquet was sacked from Renault.

#29 Outsider

Outsider

• 934 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:33

Yes, because they are all entirely credible, aren't they? So much so, they still give conflicting information of whose idea it was in the first place. So one of them still isn't telling the truth.

As for the FIA, they're probably as clueless as everyone else or know the full story, but don't want to create an even bigger storm by annulling the race/banning Alonso, or whatever.

It'll remain one of the sport's biggest secrets about what really happened, and we'll probably never find out. That's why there is still speculation years after it happened, and those types of comments from Massa.

why do you think there's something more? really what is Piquet's agenda to protect Alonso? because they are best buddies or because Piquet maschosticly enjoys that he gets to feel alone Massa's blame? or anyone Flavs and Symonds (both got banned an publicly humiliated)? they all got screwed when it came out. if i was in that situation i would rat out every single memeber who knew

#30 prty

prty

• 8,417 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:33

Well it's a good thing then that Massa fought only for himself in the second part of the 2013 season as he announced. That surely showed Alonso :stoned:

#31 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:35

Very true but two of these racing incidents involving both Massa and Hamilton had outcomes manipulated by the stewards that were inconsistent. Thats racing and thankfully it has got much better these days in terms of decision making in the stewards room. :)

Yes, that decision was dodgy at the time, but still within the constraints of racing with no malice aforethought. What is more, it's not Massa decided to give an interview about it, he simply answered to a question. It is sensationalist journalism that made it a headline. I think Massa has every right to think what he is thinking and to give the answer when he is asked. It's journalists who should change the proverbial record, I'd reckon.

#32 Outsider

Outsider

• 934 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:38

Yes, that decision was dodgy at the time, but still within the constraints of racing with no malice aforethought. What is more, it's not Massa decided to give an interview about it, he simply answered to a question. It is sensationalist journalism that made it a headline. I think Massa has every right to think what he is thinking and to give the answer when he is asked. It's journalists who should change the proverbial record, I'd reckon.

well i guess if he said that he has closed the chaper 5 years ago then when journalist asks you that question you can simply say that you have nothing to add to your previous statements. i think he is just b****ing and sooner or later it will be followed by how bad his life was in Ferrari who babysat him for 4 years

Edited by Outsider, 09 January 2014 - 13:39.

#33 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:40

The FIA hired a former detective superintendent of 30 years to interview Alonso. He was convinced Alonso was telling the truth. Of course I'm sure all the arm chair experts on here know better.

And it was the botched pitstop which cost Massa the race, not Piquet crashing.

I can see that Renault would have wanted to keep the number of individuals who knew about their plan to a bare minimum, to minimise the possibility of being found out and to avoid unecessarily exposing more personnel than necessary to risk in the event the plan was discovered.

But I cannot understand how they could have possibly briefed Alonso effectively for the race without letting him in on the plan. Otherwise, he would not have been able to understand why they wanted him to start the race with only 6 laps of fuel, he would have vehemently disagreed with the proposed strategy, and the only way to get past that and to get him to focus on the rest of what he was supposed to be doing would have been, in my view, at the very least, to have alluded strongly to the SC plan.

Also, with the greatest respect to the retired policeman, I think most people would agree that Mosley probably did more than a little "guiding" in terms of what he should say about the various characters involved. It wasn't a witch hunt against Alonso, was it?

#34 metz

metz

• 15,857 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:41

Since Massa has not spoken up before, he is as complicit as the others.

#35 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:41

well, wasn't this an open secret ever since the 2009 reveal? these people who gave a confession: Briatore, Piquet jr, Symonds... and the misterious witness X, who got 100% protection of his/her identity. who could that be? :rolleyes:

nevertheless, this some real pathetic backwards whooting by Massa. :down:

#36 redviper22

redviper22

• 89 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:43

Although I think Alonso did not know before hand I think he must have had his suspicions afterwards. I'm also not sure the entire truth has come out about the affair.
Something I find troubling is that Max Mosley knew about Crashgate several months before Piquet was sacked, which was when Piquet made a statement and the FIA launched an investigation. Mosley was meant to be a lawyer and President of the FIA yet he does nothing even though he is aware of serious misconduct? Mosley said he couldn't do anything until Piquet made a statement which I think is untrue, Mosley could have started an investigation and made Piquet give a statement long before Piquet was sacked from Renault.

There were people (outside Renault) who knew about crashgate straight after the race. But without any proof...

#37 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:47

Tell us something we don't know, Felipe.

#38 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:50

Since Massa has not spoken up before, he is as complicit as the others.

Is it any wonder? On the basis of this thread alone, most people believe he should just get over it, and they're bored of hearing about it. So that's why he hasn't 'spoken up before'.

The only difference this time is that, uh, he was asked about it in an interview. Pretty hard to ignore the topic too, when you're going to a team that has one of the main people who was involved as an employee.

#39 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 1,183 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:50

So what would you believe then? We've heard the people involved say time and again that Alonso did not know, the rest may not be consistent but that has always been.

Until there is proof, we have to go with what was found : Alonso had no idea about the plan for Piquet to crash.

Regardless of people's "gut feel" or what logic would dictate (see how logical a guy who think his GF is cheating is). Ultimately it's not what you "know", it's what you can prove.

Advertisement

#40 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,442 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:54

Unless it was the final race or event of the final race, it still makes no difference if nothing else happened. McLaren set their targets for the other races, and in particular, the final race, based on the results going into it, and what they were prepared to gamble.

If Massa won 'that particular race', then McLaren and Hamilton's tactics and gambles for the entire rest of the season would have been different. You can't just change that one event in isolation and not have it effect anything else that leads from it.

No matter how you look at it, that race did not cost Massa the championship. The only way you could argue that is if what happened, happened at the last race. And even then, you'd need the pit-crew to **** up again.

Edited by RoutariEnjinu, 09 January 2014 - 14:00.

#41 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:58

You seem to see a conspiracy around every corner. Would you happen to be writing from your laptop in a grassy knoll somewhere?

Ok, now I'll give you a more serious response. You question the veracity of the members of the team who suffered the biggest punishment from their actions. They had NO REASON to cover for Alonso. Okay, Briatore was his manager, so I can grant you that one, but you are standing in quicksand when you say the other two, with the low morals to fix an F1 race, would suddenly become selfless champions of ethics to protect Alonso when he was actually as guilty as them. You'll need to explain that rationale for me, because I don't understand it. 

As for the FIA --yes that same FIA that stripped 2-time WDC champion Michael Schumacher of all his points after the 1997 ram-rod attempt with Villeneuve -- all of a sudden becomes fearful of the repercussions of banning 2-time WDC, Alonso. Again, you'll need to help me out with that one. Briatore was one of the most powerful and well-connected people in the sport, at the time. Symonds was also highly regarded by the governing body and many teams. But they both got the boot! You think they'd kick out a guy like Briatore, who was buds with Bernie, but have qualms about kicking out a "supposedly cheating" driver like Alonso, given all the negativity F1 got from that incident??

That defies logic to me, but the fact we disagree is what makes forums like this so interesting.

Edited by PoleMan, 09 January 2014 - 14:12.

#42 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 588 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:59

For sure Alonso must have known (he's not stupid) but what could one guy do to stop Briatore's stupid ideas  :drunk: I don't see the point why Felipe brings it up again. For sure it probably cost Felipe's championship but you can't change these things anymore.

Edited by Miggeex, 09 January 2014 - 13:59.

#43 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:59

I think it's highly likely that Alonso knew about it...... In one way or another.

Yep. If you are of very high priority in a company, if not to say the team is sort of built around you, then it would be naive to think you don't know about some very important strategic decisions.

I think we are debating whether Alonso participated in any shape or form in this decision, rather than just "knowing". And here I think the plan was exlusively drawn up by Briatore and Symonds.

#44 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:04

Is it any wonder? On the basis of this thread alone, most people believe he should just get over it, and they're bored of hearing about it. So that's why he hasn't 'spoken up before'.

The only difference this time is that, uh, he was asked about it in an interview. Pretty hard to ignore the topic too, when you're going to a team that has one of the main people who was involved as an employee.

He has spoken up about Singapore 2008 apparently costing him the WDC before, often.

#45 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,758 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:08

But I cannot understand how they could have possibly briefed Alonso effectively for the race without letting him in on the plan. Otherwise, he would not have been able to understand why they wanted him to start the race with only 6 laps of fuel, he would have vehemently disagreed with the proposed strategy, and the only way to get past that and to get him to focus on the rest of what he was supposed to be doing would have been, in my view, at the very least, to have alluded strongly to the SC plan.

I don't think it's that hard a sell.  "Fernando, you are so far back on the grid that the only chance of a win is to gamble on an early safety car.  Singapore's a street circuit, it's maybe 50/50 that there will be one early doors, so it's worth doing a Hail Mary and hope for an early SC.  We've nothing to lose; gambling on getting wither a win or a 15th, or playing safe and guaranteeing no more than a 7th."

I'd've gone for it.

#46 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:12

Oh. And Massa's WDC chances in that race were hurt by the pitstop refueling saga, not Alonso. I am amazed there is so much misunderstanding about it. I mean had Massa's pitstop gone properly, he would have resumed the race somewhere right in front of Hamilton again and they would have driven together for the rest of the race, since their strategies were similar. Which is what they were doing before the SC anyway.

#47 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:14

why do you think there's something more? really what is Piquet's agenda to protect Alonso? because they are best buddies or because Piquet maschosticly enjoys that he gets to feel alone Massa's blame? or anyone Flavs and Symonds (both got banned an publicly humiliated)? they all got screwed when it came out. if i was in that situation i would rat out every single memeber who knew

It could be entirely Plausible that Alonso was in on the plan but Piquet wasn't told about that. When you look at the need-to-knows of the situation, there are a number of permutations that all make sense. Alonso didn't need to know the plan but:

Let's say Alonso was in on it, would he or the others tell Piquet about it? Piquet certainly didn't need to know if Alonso knew about it.

#48 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:15

I find it impossible to believe Alonso didn't know something was up.

#49 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:20

I don't think it's that hard a sell.  "Fernando, you are so far back on the grid that the only chance of a win is to gamble on an early safety car.  Singapore's a street circuit, it's maybe 50/50 that there will be one early doors, so it's worth doing a Hail Mary and hope for an early SC.  We've nothing to lose; gambling on getting wither a win or a 15th, or playing safe and guaranteeing no more than a 7th."

I'd've gone for it.

If you look at fuel strategies from 2007-2008, even for street circuits, all drivers from 11th downwards usually filled tanks with as much fuel as possible to have a 1-stop-strategy, as opposed to 2-stoppers. Why? Because SC may not only appear on lap15, but also lap45, right before the two-stoppers window and AFTER the pitstop of single-stoppers.

To race with full fuel load and make only 1 pitstop was the best bet for drivers to capitalize on those safety car rules, which throws everything out of the window. Recall Piquet from 2008 Germany. He made a single stop mid-race, after that a safety car appeared, and he was at the front.

Alonso is a smart man and he would have never understood, why would he need a weird 2-stop strategy as a midfielder (remember, a SC can also appear on lap 45 before your second pitstop and throw everything away again) without a proper explanation. Briatore, Symonds and Alonso know each other extremely well. They just can't flatout lie to each other and think they got away with it.

#50 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,598 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:25

In conspiracy,less people knowing what really is happening is better,over the years i think Alonso maybe didn't knew what REALLY was going on.

But he is one of the greatest,very smart and competitive...he knew his strategy was a pure gamble,but in his situation worthy the risk IF your boss and team responsibles want to risk no points to gain a victory.

The way i rate Alonso,when everything got right and was his team mate in the crash.... he realised what happened.

But there is almost no saint in the multiple wdc hall of fame,we will not know the for sure what is the truth and Alonso's position in this drama is always the hardest position to prove guilty.

Edited by Boxerevo, 09 January 2014 - 14:29.