- - - - -

prediction: 2014 cars will be fuel limited, not tyre limited

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 john_smith

john_smith

• 243 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:20

It's always been the case that F1 drivers will drive to the maximum speed that the package allows. What stops a car from going faster during a race (or a lap) is usually limited by one particular aspect of the package. In the ground effect era, it was engine power; in the V10 traction control era, it was aero downforce; and most recently it has been about tyre longevity.

I predict that with the new 2014 regulations, tyres will no longer be the limiting factor, instead it will be fuel consumption. So instead of seeing drivers and fans complaining they are not able to attack due to having to conserve tyres, we will hear the same thing about fuel conservation.

A heavier driver will be even more penalised and the major area of development will be in weight saving. We will see even more extreme cases of fuel conservation, such as drivers being told to stop immediately after the finish line in the slow down lap and slower coasting during the parade lap and under the safety car (perhaps running purely under electric power).

Advertisement

#2 Juggles

Juggles

• 902 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:35

Just so long as they aren't driver limited eh. We wouldn't want that.

#3 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 1,073 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:51

[....]We will see even more extreme cases of fuel conservation, such as drivers being told to stop immediately after the finish line in the slow down lap [...]

While I agree that, on some tracks it will be about fuel saving, I think it's important to clarify that fuel consuption on formation or slow down lap will not be counted within the 100kg permitted:

29.5 No car is permitted to consume more than 100kg of fuel, from the time at which the signal to start the race is given to the time each car crosses the Line after the end-of-race signal has been given. Other than in cases of force majeure (accepted as such by the stewards of the meeting), any driver exceeding this limit will be excluded from the race results.

You can find the regulation here.