Photo
- - - - -

Goodyear. Should they supply F1 tires again?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OV106

OV106

• 38 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:37

Goodyear used to be the "the" tire of F1.  Hands down.  With Pirelli struggling, getting bad PR, should Goodyear step up and be #1 again? 

Advertisement

#2 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,543 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:37

I'd love for them to be back.

#3 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,648 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:49

Didn't pirelli just sign a new 3 year deal?

There seems to be alotta presure being "the" F1 tire supplier. High risk, low reward venture.

#4 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:11

No, as the FIA controls the tires and tells the supplier what to do. As long at it is single source for the tires, it makes no sense to enter F1. Now if the tire war would be back....

#5 TT6

TT6

• 3,571 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:20

Admit it, you just like the logo since it brings back memories of the old cars. The brand doesn't matter, the tyre specs do.

And most hated tyre war era too. All the yada yada of this track suits Bridgestone, or brand favors some teams.

Edited by TT6, 17 January 2014 - 06:23.

#6 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:24

No, as the FIA controls the tires and tells the supplier what to do. As long at it is single source for the tires, it makes no sense to enter F1. Now if the tire war would be back....

Gotta agree with this. As much as Paul Hembrey annoys me, Pirelli have been told what sort of tyres to make and then prevented from proper tests. We have had the tyre problems we gave had due to what I see as a wrong headed philosophy of what F1 should be doing and I'll thought out rules.

Actual competition of components in F1? That would be great fun, but ain't gonna happen.

#7 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:05

Meh, no point to discuss it now. I'd love the change but we're stuck with Pirelli until 2017 no matter what

#8 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,547 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:53

It's not Goodyear themselves but the system that they ran under. They were usually in a tyre war, but as Michelin, Pirelli and the others pulled out, they settled on the same set of compounds because they had no competition.

Today it doesn't matter who the supplier is, it's the system you want back. If Goodyear replaced Pirelli now, unless the system changed they'd be producing similar tyres and subject to the same criticism, and then we'd all be wanting someone else back.

#9 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:59

**** yeah, they should. 

#10 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:06

Defo the best sidewalls...... especially in yellow.

#11 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:44

If they built lasting and durable tires, they would be blamed for the boring racing, if they built degrading tires they are blamed for building bad tires. I honestly fail to see why Pirelli is willing to suppyl the tires under the circumstances. It might be interesting for a brand that needs to increase brand awareness on a globla scale, but for all well known tire makers it is a PR suicide.

#12 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:50

Goodyear used to be the "the" tire of F1.  Hands down.  With Pirelli struggling, getting bad PR, should Goodyear step up and be #1 again? 

I don't think Pirelli are struggling to make a good tyre. They are struggling to make a tyre that fits the demands of the governing body and until that changes, be it Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michellin, or Avon, they will all struggle IMO.

#13 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:20

What good would it do to have Goodyear in F1 if we'd still be stuck with a single supplier? :well: Pirelli is making these terrible tyres because they're asked to, and for some reason they feel the need to expose their brand to such awkward PR.

What annoys me most about Pirelli is that Paul Hembrey character, who continuously talks about Pirelli being a 'competitor' in F1 while it is nothing more than a supplier of spec parts. Imagine the outcry if McLaren felt the need to have a similar presence in the press at every race due to their role in the standardized ECU, while openly speculating on which teams would benefit from its latest developments.

The longer Pirelli is in F1 as a supplier of spec tyres, the bigger my respect for Michelin becomes, as they had the good sense to refuse to participate in a single-supplier scheme. :up:

#14 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:05

What good would it do to have Goodyear in F1 if we'd still be stuck with a single supplier? :well: Pirelli is making these terrible tyres because they're asked to, and for some reason they feel the need to expose their brand to such awkward PR.

What annoys me most about Pirelli is that Paul Hembrey character, who continuously talks about Pirelli being a 'competitor' in F1 while it is nothing more than a supplier of spec parts. Imagine the outcry if McLaren felt the need to have a similar presence in the press at every race due to their role in the standardized ECU, while openly speculating on which teams would benefit from its latest developments.

The longer Pirelli is in F1 as a supplier of spec tyres, the bigger my respect for Michelin becomes, as they had the good sense to refuse to participate in a single-supplier scheme. :up:

Pretty much word-for-word my feelings on the subject  :up:

#15 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,535 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:15

As long as they are nothing like Pirellis.

#16 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:24

Well, indeed.  Pirelli are making tyres to the specification requested.  If Good Year bravely took the devils dollar then they would be asked to make cheese tyres too and we'd all be complaining about them instead.

The biggest concern of the tyre manufacturers is that they would put a lot of money and effort into making the tyres but nobody would talk about them if there were no tyre war.  People are certainly talking about them, which means the name is getting out there, though perhaps the negativity they have been getting would put off anyone else joining.

#17 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 17:29

Probably doesn't even matter if there are parties interested in joining the tire war supplying since FIA appears to be adamant to have the spec format as it gives them another artificial way to control the series via show methods.

Excellent point about the spec ECUs by Nonesuch.

#18 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 20:27

Only if they can spell 'tyre' correctly.

;)

#19 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,448 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 21:07

Imagine the outcry if McLaren felt the need to have a similar presence in the press at every race due to their role in the standardized ECU, while openly speculating on which teams would benefit from its latest developments.

QFT.

Advertisement

#20 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 16:19

Goodyear will not be back as long as the FIA keeps playing with tyres.

Grooved tyres were the final drop and Goodyear was quite vocal about it.

#21 Dunc

Dunc

• 924 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 22:11

I'd love an F1 where teams did their own deals with tyre manufacturers in the way they do with engines, coukd make for exciting times.

#22 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,646 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:10

Well, indeed.  Pirelli are making tyres to the specification requested.  If Good Year bravely took the devils dollar then they would be asked to make cheese tyres too and we'd all be complaining about them instead.

The biggest concern of the tyre manufacturers is that they would put a lot of money and effort into making the tyres but nobody would talk about them if there were no tyre war.  People are certainly talking about them, which means the name is getting out there, though perhaps the negativity they have been getting would put off anyone else joining.

I don't think Pirelli has the manufacturing proces under control. Especially at the start of 2012, if you got the 'golden set', you could go faster for longer, without a hard cliff, while if you had the 'chokotoff set', you better could go home. Some articles about it said something about the curing process of the tire and that it mattered where the tire had been stored in the plane to the race due to temperature differences in the cargo hold. I won't even start about the quality of the rain tire. Bridgestone, GoodYear or Michelin would have a field day against Pirelli-shod cars.

Same with the self-destructing tires. I've been following autosport since end eighties, but I've never seen such a bad performance of a tire. The only thing that remotely comes to mind is a Champcar race where the softs lasted 3 laps or so. But even then they didn't self-destruct.

@Dunc

Fia/Bernie is tightening their control of the class. See how the V6 is specified in the rules. They would hate to bring more variables into play they cannot control.

#23 bobthewrestler

bobthewrestler

• 43 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:20

I don't think F1 should have just one tyre supplier, I'd prefer to see teams use whoever they like.

#24 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,794 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:46

The FIA pissed off Goodyear with the grooves, they pissed off Michelin with Indianapolis and they're pissing off Pirelli by letting them take flak over their tyre demands. They are lucky they even have a recognisable brand on the grid this year.

#25 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:48

It doesn't matter who supplies the tires, as the rules are so restricted. When Goodyear did supply at least they were able to make tires largely after how they wanted to make them. Pirelli is just a puppet.

#26 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,124 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:56

The FIA pissed off Goodyear with the grooves, they pissed off Michelin with Indianapolis and they're pissing off Pirelli by letting them take flak over their tyre demands. They are lucky they even have a recognisable brand on the grid this year.

Agreed with this. FIA have to take some of the blame with the recent tyre nonsense. 

#27 Gridfire

Gridfire

• 887 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:08

I feel like the FIA should allow both Caterham and Marussia to go testing with Pirelli as early as they have working cars available this year, all paid for by Pirelli, for as long as they feel necessary. Result: better tyres for all the teams, and some free testing time for the backmarker teams to help them possibly get more competitive this year/for the duration of this rules package. 

I know it won't happen and teams like Williams and Sauber will complain how unfair it is, maybe quite rightly. But it'd be nice to have good tyres that behave the way they are intended to, and I can't see that happening without extensive testing on a 2014 car. It's not like Pirelli has something like the 2010 Toyota to test with this time. 

As for Goodyear, I can't see them having any better luck in F1 with the current state of testing bans and fickle rules.

#28 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:09

The FIA pissed off Michelin with Indianapolis?

#29 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:38

The elite supercars of F1 teams Ferrari and McLaren are fitted with P Zero Corsas for maximum traction (of they course they only last 5000km, but the supercar buyer is not fussed about regular trips to the tyre shop).   Goodyears are better known as a budget long-lasting tyre (mostly lowly ultra-high performance for those muggles who line the fence at f1 races, not Extreme Performance category that some enthusiasts fit to Renault hatchbacks let alone the superior semi-slick!)  for lowly hot hatches.  Surely this suggests Pirelli is best?  :stoned: