Hamm

• 559 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 15:42

bad news, Sam :down:

#3 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,277 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 15:43

I would imagine it is more likely Sam Michael would get the job.

#4 10e10

10e10

• 950 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 15:47

darth-vader-noooo.gif

Return Martin, you're forgiven!

#5 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 15:48

I would imagine it is more likely Sam Michael would get the job.

To be honest I would have thought it would be Ross Brawn. That seemed more like a marriage waiting to happen. Won't be surprised if its a rouse. TYhe article does state it will be announced tomorrow so not long to wait to either see if its true or just a load of rubbish

#6 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 2,086 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 15:52

This could be a case of naming an interim TP given that RD has already said that the long term organisational structure will be announced mid Feb

#7 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,277 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 15:53

I too thought Ross was the favourite.

What I mean is it is more likely Sam Michael would get the job than "Sam Michaels", whoever he may be

#8 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 15:59

Is this the same Sam Michael that designed the MP4/28?

;)

#9 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:00

I too thought Ross was the favourite.

What I mean is it is more likely Sam Michael would get the job than "Sam Michaels", whoever he may be

Ross is a big beast. I just cannot see him going in to a situation where Ron is prodding him in the back. If he was going to accept that - then he would have stayed at Merc.

It's never going to happen. IMHO of course..,,,,

#10 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,577 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:01

Lol

This is getting interesting. I can only imagine what the McLaren thread will look like "when" they race another dud.

#11 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:01

darth-vader-noooo.gif

Return Martin, you're forgiven!

:lol:

If Whitmarsh was Mr Hindsight, who is Sam Michael going to be?

And I think I have to agree with those, who say that Ross Brawn and Ron Dennis in one team... just wouldn't work. So it ought to be someone else.

#12 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:04

SAM Michaels, ....Fine dresser he is...YOU CAN BE TOO

Jp

#13 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:06

Ross is a big beast. I just cannot see him going in to a situation where Ron is prodding him in the back. If he was going to accept that - then he would have stayed at Merc.

It's never going to happen. IMHO of course..,,,,

This

#14 P123

P123

• 23,964 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:07

I can't see this being permanent, if the rumour has any substance at all.  Although didn't Whitmarsh previously hint that one day Michael may take his role?

Edit...... prophetic words from Whitmarsh?

"I think Sam has had a tough time, with high expectations, but I think he is good leader material. He is someone who is, I am sure, harbouring expectations to kick me out of my job one day. And I think that is healthy because there probably wasn't anyone in the company, below me at least, who wanted my job. So I think that is a healthy dynamic."

Edited by P123, 23 January 2014 - 16:09.

#15 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,391 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:08

Short term seat warmer at best until someone better turns up. What's somewhat amusing is that if Paddy Lowe had hung in there a little longer, he would have likely gotten the gig :)

#16 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:09

Well this should please the army of irrational Sam Michael haters.

#17 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,391 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:10

Nothing irrational about disliking Sam Michael :)

#18 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,729 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:11

It would be fun, looks like Ron was actually responsible for all the things people were upset with MW about, and now he makes Sam TP? :D

#19 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:11

Not good for McLaren in my opinion.

Advertisement

#20 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,729 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:13

Nothing irrational about disliking Sam Michael :)

So what's your rationale then?

#21 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,391 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:19

So what's your rationale then?

Never really seen him do anything of value during his time in F1. He wasn't all that at Jordan, seemed to make a real mess of things at Williams, and hasn't brought anything of note to the table at McLaren. His main attribute seems to be that he's Sam Michael - other than this I really fail to see why he's rated as highly as he appears from the outside to be. There's no issue with his personality, comes across really well on TV, appears to be an all round lovely chap etc, but just hasn't done anything of note to merit the hype that surrounds him.

#22 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Jesus you macca fans have to deal with more drama , the bloody car hasn't even hit the track. Like a episode of Eastenders too much damn drama.

#23 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

It's likely Withmarsh has left the TP role since Dennis regained control of Mclaren Group.

The team needs a TP now. Even if interim. Sam Michael may have been the only choice.

#24 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:22

Never really seen him do anything of value during his time in F1. He wasn't all that at Jordan, seemed to make a real mess of things at Williams, and hasn't brought anything of note to the table at McLaren. His main attribute seems to be that he's Sam Michael - other than this I really fail to see why he's rated as highly as he appears from the outside to be. There's no issue with his personality, comes across really well on TV, appears to be an all round lovely chap etc, but just hasn't done anything of note to merit the hype that surrounds him.

And how could you possibly know he hasn't done anything of note?

#25 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,391 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:23

It's likely Withmarsh has left the TP role since Dennis regained control of Mclaren Group.

The team needs a TP now. Even if interim. Sam Michael may have been the only choice.

Would tend to agree. If there had been serious friction behind the scenes at McLaren between Dennis and Whitmarsh, Whitmarsh would have had little option but to step aside. Obviously they need a TP as the role has many responsibilities that need to be looked after, so someone has to do that and Michael is likely the nearest to the role in the current structure at the moment. Cannot say I'm impressed however...

#26 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:30

Jesus you macca fans have to deal with more drama , the bloody car hasn't even hit the track. Like a episode of Eastenders too much damn drama.

Hesus and i were downing cold beers... i could vouch for him. he had nothing to do with it.

Yep, this ought to stir up some Macca fans alright. I wish it were true. Imagine it if only for sh!($ and giggles :D

#27 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:35

People forget that Sam Michael wasn't TP at Williams, he was Technical Director, maybe he's better in a managerial role, McLaren have had him working as Sporting Director for a little while now and perhaps they're impressed with how he works.

#28 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,391 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:37

Well, wasn't he brought in to improve their trackside operations during races? So - did you see McLaren's performances in the last two years? Cars aside, there wasn't really a marked improvement over the previous couple of years now was there? Still tons of mistakes, bad calls, poor overall strategies etc... So, as I said, nothing of note... Things happening behind the scenes would have shown in some form of improvement come race day, and other than pit-stop speed which was quoted as being down to him - there really hasn't been anything in the last 24 months that differed from the previous 24.

Edited by MirNyet, 23 January 2014 - 17:47.

#29 peroa

peroa

• 10,783 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:39

I can't see this being permanent, if the rumour has any substance at all.  Although didn't Whitmarsh previously hint that one day Michael may take his role?

Edit...... prophetic words from Whitmarsh?

Well, we are talking about the man who managed to lose an idiotproof factory team engine deal with merc by begging them to supply Brawn.

This is where this whole sh** started.

#30 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:41

The operational fiasco at McLaren in 2012 should be reason enough .  I've followed his career at Jordan, Williams, McLaren and he is unable to work with drivers or get on top of technical or operational issues. 

Perhaps it is just a coincidence but his upward career trajectory seems to always result in the team going in the opposite direction.  

#31 Romulus

Romulus

• 1,813 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:41

If so then Mclaren is doomed

#32 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:44

Like a episode of Eastenders too much damn drama.

Deadenders is NOT drama.

It's a monotonous whine based on over aggrandized petty small mindedness which pervades the poorly educated numb skulls that inhabit monkey island.

It's BBC's pablum for the proletariat thus making them feel better about the misery of living in sub-standard lives

Sorry, what we we talking about?...

Jp

#33 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:44

Well, we are talking about the man who managed to lose an idiotproof factory team engine deal with merc by begging them to supply Brawn.

This is where this whole sh** started.

Would you still be panning Martin had Mercedes bought over FI (another Mercedes supplied team)? Mercedes has a history in F1, and they wanted back. Brawn GP just happened at an opportune time.

Note: What about McLaren's intentions of becoming a proper car manufacturer? I think this was also a factor in the overall scheme of things

Edited by garagetinkerer, 23 January 2014 - 16:48.

#34 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,151 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:53

I think Sam and Ron could play the ultimate, 'Mr Nice and Mr Nasty' routine.

Sam is a master at saying nothing very much in a very antiseptic way.

Post Race Example

Ronspeak: 'Why are we paying this Button guy? I'm not talking to him for a month, not even if he crawls'

Samspeak: 'Jenson's car suffered an unexpected loss of performance. We will have to look at the data.'

#35 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,391 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:54

People forget that Sam Michael wasn't TP at Williams, he was Technical Director, maybe he's better in a managerial role, McLaren have had him working as Sporting Director for a little while now and perhaps they're impressed with how he works.

Well, he managed to turn the engineering dept at Williams into a Museum :) When Coughlan joined in 2011 (?) he stated that the team technically was behind were McLaren were in 2007 (when he left). As TD, it would have been part of Michael's job to keep Williams as close to the cutting edge as possible. Obviously budget issues will have played a part, but one of the things Coughlan was quoted on was the basic weight of the tub for instance. Surely budget issues wouldn't have played a part in knowing your tub was well overweight by current standards?  

Edited by MirNyet, 23 January 2014 - 17:48.

#36 Timothy

Timothy

• 636 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:55

What's so disastrous about Sam Michaels? He was not the one responsible for the decline of the Williams team, nor had he anything to do with Mclaren's questionable strategies and doggy pit stops. In fact credit should be given to him for stabilizing operations in the pit lane.

#37 aray

aray

• 5,830 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 17:18

i think if MW resigns,then Sam Micheal is a good option for time being...but if Ron sacks Whitemarsh to put Micheal in that position,then it would be stupidity....

Edited by aray, 23 January 2014 - 17:19.

#38 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 17:24

i think if MW resigns,then Sam Micheal is a good option for time being...but if Ron sacks Whitemarsh to put Micheal in that position,then it would be stupidity....

What of Martin resigns because he knows he will be sacked ?

#39 katmen

katmen

• 825 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 17:43

from wikipedia:

Following the worst start to a season in Williams' history, Michael resigned from the team in early May 2011.[3] For the final five races he joined McLaren but did not become their sporting director until the start of 2012.[4][5]

Michael's position at McLaren came under pressure following a series of pitstop mistakes [6] forcing Whitmarsh to have to defend Michael's position.[7]

It will be disaster in making  at Mclaren OUCH

Advertisement

#40 Santosdf

Santosdf

• 267 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 17:47

What's so disastrous about Sam Michaels? He was not the one responsible for the decline of the Williams team, nor had he anything to do with Mclaren's questionable strategies and doggy pit stops. In fact credit should be given to him for stabilizing operations in the pit lane.

If he was not reponsible what was he hired for? to put the blame on others?

#41 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 17:49

You have to ask the question; what does Sam Michael bring to the table?

#42 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 4,100 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 17:50

I just find it infinitely funny. The Most Incompetent Team Principal According To Autosport Forums ™ that somehow managed to achieve second most wins by a team behind Red Bull is apparently removed from his position. Festivities and fireworks ensue.

Then he is apparently going to be replaced with Even More Incompetent Team Principal According To Autosport Forums ™.

Either everybody in Formula One are complete and utter idiots (because everybody besides Christian Horner AND Martin Whitmarsh managed to win even LESS races) and really smart people are in fact here... or them utter and complete idiots are somewhere else :)

#43 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 17:54

My bet will be that Ross will be in 2015 during Honda McLaren alliance. 

#44 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 17:58

I just find it infinitely funny. The Most Incompetent Team Principal According To Autosport Forums ™ that somehow managed to achieve second most wins by a team behind Red Bull is apparently removed from his position. Festivities and fireworks ensue.

Then he is apparently going to be replaced with Even More Incompetent Team Principal According To Autosport Forums ™.

Either everybody in Formula One are complete and utter idiots (because everybody besides Christian Horner AND Martin Whitmarsh managed to win even LESS races) and really smart people are in fact here... or them utter and complete idiots are somewhere else :)

From a purely statistical perspective - you have a compelling argument.

From a subjective viewpoint, one that watched the title in 2012 recklessly tossed away...... leading on to the bizarre ditching of the brilliant MP4-27 for the turnip that was the MP4-28....... then I beg to differ in some areas.  

Edited by maverick69, 23 January 2014 - 17:59.

#45 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,391 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 17:59

Well, money and your resources normally equal success in F1. McLaren aren't poorly funded and have states of the art resources. Since 2009, McLaren have only managed to product 1 top car (2012). Of the other 4 cars, 2 were poor, and 2 were mostly ok and punched above their weight. So - you have to look at the other teams down the grid, and for their money and resources - seem to be doing a better job than McLaren. Now obviously, if you ask questions, it cannot be the entire team which is at fault, McLaren have lots of really good people, so you then have to look at the decisions made, and McLaren since 2009 has been littered with bad choices, more so than the rest of the pitlane really. That has to be someone's doing, and decisions of that scale have to be signed off at the top. So - is it that a bunch of people on a forum are in fantasy land, or is there a real problem that is so large that even people as far removed from the sport as we are can see it? 

#46 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 18:06

Well I'm an expert on Sam Michael from my years of watching live F1 races from my couch and this is undoubtedly bad news if true. 

I'm also an expert on the internal structure of the McLaren team(also from my years of watching live F1 races), and can say that he's simply not a good fit for the team.  He's not good at his job and is at fault for all those things that I didn't like seeing happen.  Don't ask me how exactly, just trust me, I'm an expert. 

#47 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,126 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 18:14

So, Sam oversaw Williams' worst technical period in recent history as Technical Director and at McLaren recorded 2 of their worst seasons under his Sporting Directorship. What could McLaren be impressed with? The way they sported there way out of a title in 2012? The way they sportingly let everyone else have a go on the podium in 2013? Sam was responsible for operational matters at the race track in 2012 and that year they were worse than any in my memory.

#48 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 18:25

I would say now we know why the change in command was universally well received in the team. If you were against Ron, you were busy packing your things.

#49 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 4,100 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 18:27

From a purely statistical perspective - you have a compelling argument.

From a subjective viewpoint, one that watched the title in 2012 recklessly tossed away...... leading on to the bizarre ditching of the brilliant MP4-27 for the turnip that was the MP4-28....... then I beg to differ in some areas.  

And here you are, mr. Hindsight :)

#50 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 18:27

Argh bloody Sam Michael! If there is a worse choice than Whitmarsh he is it...