Photo

Gap Hill Climb, Lornie Mile Sprints, Johore GP, Lim Chu Kang Speed Trials, Bukit Batok H/C, Sungei Nibong Sprints, Dunern Rd Kilo , Gunong Rapat H/C

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:16

A lengthy title but just some of the events held in The Malay Federated States (Malaya) and Singapore in the 1930's,1940's and 1950's.

I am putting together details of all motor racing in this area from late 1920's on to the mid 1960's and looking for any an all details of event, drivers and cars that competed.

I am also very interested to get copies of the actual race programmes and photos of the car badges of the various motoring organisations ie Singapore Motor Club.

Part of the interest is to finalize the Jaguar entrants for the second volume of our Jaguar XK book which will include all the race histories.

One person who I would love to find out more about is Brian R. Hawes a Malayan Airways Pilot who ran an XK120 at the Gap Hill Climb as early as October 1950. We have have not been able to identify this car and given the date and being RHD it can only be one of about 80 cars. By July 1951 Brian had fitted a monoposto body to the chassis but Brian was killed in a race crash in another racecar the Kudensay Special at the Gap Hill Climb in May 1952. The XK120 had the standard bodywork refitted and was sold, the special body went to Freddie Pope and was used both on Popes XK120 and later his XK140 including being run at the Macau GP

I do have a lot of good info in that the Straits times newspaper is accessible on line and I have copies of a lot of Neil Moncreiff's records and I have all the original negatives from noted late 50's local photographer Loris J.Goring. Unfortunately none of the Malayan newspapers appear to be on line and I am not even sure what papers are around and where yet to source them.

I would love to hear from anyone interested in motorsport in the far east and that includes Hong Kong and Japan

terry

Edited by terry mcgrath, 28 January 2014 - 03:27.

Advertisement

#2 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:26

There is some interesting photos of a 1956 Gap Hill Climb at 

#3 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 562 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:48

Interested to hear you have Moncrieffe records, Terry.  His daughter is in Sydney but she has nothing!

I have copies of some of Peter Cowling's material but it is all Coopers.

We should swap notes by email I think.

#4 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 14:30

I had a interesting chat with phil caroline the other day and at 91 he would be one of the older surviving drivers of the 1950's ran an Allard an Aston DB2 in this part of the world.

Phil actually took Brian Hawes personal possessions back to his family in Surrey England. I am now leaning towards the fact he took an XK120 from the UK to this part of the world which would account as not being able to tie it to any of the local cars.

terry

tmcgrath@bigpond.com

Edited by terry mcgrath, 30 January 2014 - 14:34.

#5 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 23:13

Some prewar events in Malaya Singapore I would love to get some full details on are 

The Perak Hillclimb 11 April 1939
Farrar Rd Sprints 25 September 1939
2nd Sherman Sprints 12 May 1940
Gap Hillclimb 4 August 1940
and the Johore GP November 16 & 17 and 23 & 24 1940 
Events in the world don't come much later than this.
One competitor I would be keen to find out about is John F. Barraclough a BBC radio announcer based in Singapore. Did he survive the war etc,
terry

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 00:21

It appears not, Terry. John Francis Barraclough was born in Chorlton in Lancashire in 1910 and there's a travel record for him on Ancestry going to Malaya in January 1935. He was officially declared dead in 1947: the National Probate Calendar records his death as "on or since 13 February 1942 at sea through enemy action". The exact date suggests he may have been on one of four British ships sunk by the Japanese on that day: SS Derrymore, SS Hosang, HMS Scorpion or HMS Li Wo. Two Dutch tankers, the Manvantara and the Merula, were also sunk on the 13th. His wife apparently survived, since probate was obtained on her behalf.

Another Malaya-based driver who definitely didn't survive is Charles Crowther-Smith. He is on CWGC: died Feb 20th 1942 in a hospital in Singapore, presumably of wounds received?

#7 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 15:29

Thanks greatly for that information.

Does the source note where JFB's  wife lived?

What did Charles Crowther-Smith drive? and what is CWGC?

thanks terry

It appears not, Terry. John Francis Barraclough was born in Chorlton in Lancashire in 1910 and there's a travel record for him on Ancestry going to Malaya in January 1935. He was officially declared dead in 1947: the National Probate Calendar records his death as "on or since 13 February 1942 at sea through enemy action". The exact date suggests he may have been on one of four British ships sunk by the Japanese on that day: SS Derrymore, SS Hosang, HMS Scorpion or HMS Li Wo. Two Dutch tankers, the Manvantara and the Merula, were also sunk on the 13th. His wife apparently survived, since probate was obtained on her behalf.

Another Malaya-based driver who definitely didn't survive is Charles Crowther-Smith. He is on CWGC: died Feb 20th 1942 in a hospital in Singapore, presumably of wounds received?

#8 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 17:04

The probate records aren't all that clear. Letters of administration were granted to "George Birkett Myers, retired bank manager, attorney to Margaret Elizabeth Barraclough." I can't trace her at all though.

It's probably his wife - but might even be another female relative: mother? Sister? His home address is given as in Stockport, but probate was granted in Carlisle - which just adds to the confusion! So it may be that his wife was still in Malaya (or elsewhere abroad) and dealing with it through a solicitor. It should be possible to obtain the basic details of the probate if you're interested - but it may not answer all your questions and certainly won't tell you what happened to his SS 100! Letters of administration are granted when someone dies intestate - so there won't be a will associated with the probate documents and a list of distributed assets is unlikely. His whole estate was worth just under £500 at 1947 prices - about £16500 today.

Crowther-Smith ran a small Fiat: regular competitor in Malayan meetings, including the Johore GP.

CWGC is the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Very handy for tracing the fates of servicemen/women who died during both World Wars. It does include some civilians too.

#9 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 23:32

thanks for that info.

Not so much as to where his SS100 went but as to where it had come from ie brought in the UK and taken back on one of the annual leave trips they did.

You seem to be right up on racing scene their what sources of info do you have or what material

terry

#10 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 23:53

The Singapore National Library website is pretty good. Includes the Straits Times, as well as a number of other other Singapore and Malayan papers.

http://newspapers.nl.sg/Default.aspx

Article downloads are a bit slow, but they always get there in the end! I find the easiest way to hunt for race reports in that period is to search for Lim Peng Han: he is an ever-present driver and/or car builder!

#11 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 14:24

thanks I had visited the Singapore library many years ago and spent a day going through the straits times newspaper on microfilm - this was before they invented the computer! when I found something you wrote it down or took a picture of the screen

now you can check every word fom the comfort of your own home and save a copy of everything you find straight to your computer

terry

The Singapore National Library website is pretty good. Includes the Straits Times, as well as a number of other other Singapore and Malayan papers.

http://newspapers.nl.sg/Default.aspx

Article downloads are a bit slow, but they always get there in the end! I find the easiest way to hunt for race reports in that period is to search for Lim Peng Han: he is an ever-present driver and/or car builder!

#12 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:50

Another competitor in the Johore GP of 1960 was Ian Barnwell he ran an XK120 roadster registered [SR6267]

he had first run this car at the Gap Hillclimb in Oct 1959.

He will be more well known as running Aston Martin DB3S/106 in the 1961 events

Autosport had a report on the 1961 Singapore GP in the 27 October issue, although it didn't mention the actual date of the event.
Results:
1 Ian Barnwell - Aston Martin DB3S
2 Kim Thiat - Lotus 11 Mk2
3 Dick Clinkard - Austin Healey 3000
4 Bernard Arnold - Warrior-Jaguar
5 Tan Ah Bee - Zephyr Sports
6 Eric Cooper - Austin Healey Sprite
7 B. McRae-Smith - Austin Healey 3000
8 Housten - AC Ace

29 starters, leading runners who retired were:
LC Chan - Lola-Climax
Jan Brussel (sic) - Ferrari Monza
Peter Cowling - Cooper 

Does anyone know anything about Ian Barnwell or where he maybe today?

terry

Edited by terry mcgrath, 14 February 2014 - 02:08.

#13 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:07

there is great series of pages on the Singapore and Malaysian GP on TNF at      http://forums.autosp...9-singapore-gp/   

#14 IannDC

IannDC

• 166 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:10

Terry,

I am compiling information on the history of motor racing in Singapore for an exhibition the National Heritage Board is holding next month. It is not easy getting all the information even with the ST archives. Contact me at iandc@live.com.sg

#15 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 16:05

From a reply on another thread, you will need to consult the archives of both The Straits Times and The New Straits Times.  I am not familiar with the Singapore Press but I suspect there may well be other papers, including Malay and Chinese language ones, that have their own photo archives.

#16 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 00:43

I was having a look at my collection of the Singapore Motor Club "The S.M.C. Gazette"  an A5 size multi page publication, vol 1 # 1 is October 1958.

Loris Goring notes in the editorial that this is the first full edition maybe indicating they did have newsletter prior but it does note that the club was in its 10th year and that there were 27 people at the inaugural meeting through to now having 400 members.

I would be keen to know if there were any newsletters prior to oct 1958.

Production of the magazine became spasmodic after the june 1961 edition the next being that I know of No 1 1964 with editorial noting reappearance after an absence of 4 years.

I am always interested in any information on motor racing in this area prior to say 1965

terry

#17 royboy

royboy

• 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:34

Terry

You mentioned you would be interested in information regarding Brian Hawes. He was my uncle, who unfortunately I never met, as I was two when he died. I do have some of the trophies he won when racing in Malaya including a fine cup for 2nd place at the 1951 Johore Grand Prix. Also a couple of pictures of his XK120 with regn SF 594, one before being modified and one with the monoposto body. I think the same car when he had just bought it in England but regn JKV 845 so not sure.

I also have his flying log books showing his initial training when serving with the RAF through to flying Sterling and Halifax bombers during the war and then

DC3 's for Malayan Airways.

I have a photo of his gravestone but no idea if this is in England or Malaya. If any of the above is of interest please let me know. Equally if you do come across any more information regarding Brian I would love to hear.

Roy

#18 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 02:46

amazingly and coincidentally all these programmes from this area turned up on EBAY a few weeks all selling for serious money.

I managed to pick up a couple to add to the all few to I have. Does anyone know who may have purchased any of these I am very keen to obtain copies of a few from 1953 as I have an XK120 that raced here at this time. I would love to hear from anyone with knowledge of motor racing in Singapore, Malaya, Hong Kong, Japan, India and Ceylon prior to say 1965.

I have saved images of all the ones advertised if anyone is interested

terry

1 of 12 images

Singapore Motor Club....Gap Hill Climb.......29.4.1956

realbookone | 717 | 100.0%

Lists: Watch list

Singapore Motor Club....Johore Coronation Grand Prix........

Singapore Motor Club....Johore Grand Prix.......3.8.1952

Singapore Motor Club....Lim Chu Kang/ half mile sprint......

Singapore Motor Club....Gap Hill Climb.......5.4.1953

Singapore Motor Club....Gap Hill Climb.......16.10.1955

1 of 2 images

SHELL....Malayan Motor Rally 1955.....2nd Road Book

1 of 3 images

SHELL....Malayan Motor Rally 1955.....1st Road Book

SHELL....Malayan Motor Rally 1955.....Regulations

Singapore Motor Club Gap Hillclimb Programme 1952

nienapomocyna | 834 | 100.0%

Singapore Motor Club....Coronation Kilo.......14.6.1953

Singapore Motor Club....Gap Hill Climb.......24.4.1955

Singapore Motor Club Events Calendar 1953

Singapore Motor Club Programme 1952

Singapore Motor Club....Half Mile Sprint.......6.7.1952

Singapore Motor Club....Johore Grand Prix.......5.8.1951

Singapore Motor Club....Gap Hill Climb.......14.10.1956

Singapore Motor Club....Gap Autumn Hillclimb.......18.10....

Singapore Motor Club....Standing Kilometre.......24.2.1952

Singapore Motor Club....Lim Chu Kang/ half mile sprint......

1 of 12 images

Rare Singapore Motor Club Grand Prix 1967 Vintage Souveni...

staarscream | 787 | 100.0%

Edited by terry mcgrath, 18 May 2015 - 02:50.

#19 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 15:01

someone must have an interest in motor racing in this part of the world

Advertisement

#20 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:29

Another stack of programmes were sold for these events, fortunately I finished up with a few

#21 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 562 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 00:56

I am amazed so much should be paid for a minor hillclimb programme. L42 in the case of the one I looked up. Is it the rarity? Would be useful just to have a calendar of events in Singapore and rest of Malaysia. Do you have such, Terry?

#22 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 14:07

One of the better collections of programmes from this area some probably unique was destroyed by water damage whilst the covers had been scanned the important info lost for ever a lot to be said for copying these things even if a photocopy and disemminating to others to preserve the info
terry

#23 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 562 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:33

Its really good when this stuff gets made available as you are doing Terry and thanks for your pm.  Unfortunately a lot is being bought at high prices and then disappearing into private hands. For example, and while we are still in SE Asia, does anybody know an "Ian' in or around Hong Kong who bought Walter Moule's notebook(s) covering his work as mechanic on Peter Collin's Coopers? I suspect this/these would be the source of Chris Nixon's information in Mon Ami Mate and I would like to know more but my informant will not put me in touch.