#1651 Treads

Treads

• 772 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:52

Clearly you were joking

However many SV fans are trying to argue SV has had more trouble than DR

I did not want them pushing that line in this case

The fault hit SV harder this time but hit both drivers

SV could have fought back up to the points (unlikely but possible)

but... he ran up an STRs %$#@ and nearly took out his team mate, so deserved his DNF

Whilst its true he has had more clear and obvious mechanical failures

DR has had the fuel debacle that messed up 2 races to varying degrees

As well as many similar but not terminal mechanical problems

Shouldn't this be in the SV vs DR thread? 

In any case, the pendulum swings both ways. Seb enjoyed a very long period with great reliability while his team mate seemingly has a KERS problem every race. Turnabout is fair play and all that. 

Advertisement

#1652 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,567 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:54

Yeah - clearly I was joking.

I would assume they introduced some new tweak to overtake mode which went a little too far and freaked out and triggered a fail safe shut down

If this is what happened, then who actually is to blame for that failure/issue? IIRC they were taking some of the credit for the fairly rapid improvement Renault made earlier in the season as they provided personnel to help solve the issues they were having. RBR have come out after this weekend with some pretty strong words about Renault's performance 'not being acceptable' but didn't or doesn't RBR have input into the mapping etc?

#1653 windoesnot

windoesnot

• 126 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:10

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/114598

More whining from Horner, "It's not our business, it's not our responsibility. We're the end user and it's just frustrating that it's not where it needs to be at the moment."

Horner needs to look at what F1 is and what it has been and realise there's no guarantee of engine parity. It's part and parcel of the sport. He picked the 2014 engine supplier, now he has to live with it.

Bottom line, he has an engine which is apparently good enough for the team to get 2nd in the WDC, which is where they are now, about 50 points ahead of 3rd place Ferrari. It seems a little arrogant to me that he thinks they are so much, much better than everyone else that finishing 2nd instead of 1st must be an engine issue. 

Renault's engine certainly isn't markedly worse that that offered by Ferrari. To be honest it looks like it might be better, given Sauber's struggle with the Italian unit. 

For me it's a huge lack of class and general politeness to slate Renault this much. 

This irks me too, whatever happened to the saying 'You win together, you lose together'. In Red Bulls case its 'When we win its all on us, when we lose its all on Renault'. Sure they ain't got the best engine but publically slagging your supplier off isnt going to get you anywhere. I don't remember Williams moaning on and on like this when they went from a Honda to a Judd engine in 88 and won nothing with it, as opposed to having the best engine previously.

#1654 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 2,548 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:24

I read someone say that Vettel was on his last engine in another thread... and that was after Canadian GP... can someone confirm this? Scary shit... and if true, i guess it explains why RBR are livid.

#1655 Knot

Knot

• 403 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:37

I read someone say that Vettel was on his last engine in another thread... and that was after Canadian GP... can someone confirm this? Scary shit... and if true, i guess it explains why RBR are livid.

He has one left.

#1656 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,462 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:55

For me it's a huge lack of class and general politeness to slate Renault this much. 

Renault are French.  The French talk directly when offering critiques.  Therefore they probably have not even noticed! :D

The English & Australian fans should probably not worry such things IMO, as we may be misreading the expectations inherent in the French culture:

#1657 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,893 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:10

Ok. So this season red bull can't get the power unit, the fuel meter, and now the ecu to work.
What's going on?

#1658 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 145 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:51

Ok. So this season red bull can't get the power unit, the fuel meter, and now the ecu to work.
What's going on?

Its like juggling, when one ball drops, they all fall...

Plus they have a new standard ECU which they all have to use this year but they had last year as a test year, maybe Red Bull and Renault didn't try testing it?

Edited by GrumpyYoungMan, 03 July 2014 - 12:53.

#1659 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

• 143 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 13:07

This irks me too, whatever happened to the saying 'You win together, you lose together'. In Red Bulls case its 'When we win its all on us, when we lose its all on Renault'. Sure they ain't got the best engine but publically slagging your supplier off isnt going to get you anywhere. I don't remember Williams moaning on and on like this when they went from a Honda to a Judd engine in 88 and won nothing with it, as opposed to having the best engine previously.

While I agree with you on a small degree (I wouldn't call it "slaying", it's more RB pushing Renault to fix the issues!), the current problems are pretty much all on  Renault's part! It's not like Red Bull made an awful car, because as we saw, the RB10 CAN be pretty fast! All of it's problems are because of the Renault PU.

Edited by Heisenberg, 03 July 2014 - 13:08.

Advertisement

#1660 Treads

Treads

• 772 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 13:41

Renault are French.  The French talk directly when offering critiques.  Therefore they probably have not even noticed! :D

The English & Australian fans should probably not worry such things IMO, as we may be misreading the expectations inherent in the French culture:

So the French guys at Renault won't have their feelings hurt but this. Nonetheless it's damaging to them and their image in the UK and many other countries. Horner is a Brit, RB is a British team, so I judge their behaviour according to British cultural norms. 

#1661 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 877 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 20:55

365_medium.jpg

#1662 Masteroftheuniverse

Masteroftheuniverse

• 105 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 14:40

Just dawned on me that despite Ricciardo winning today, there's a real possibility that Red Bull won't score any points at the next 2 races (Belgium and Italy)

#1663 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,235 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 14:44

Just dawned on me that despite Ricciardo winning today, there's a real possibility that Red Bull won't score any points at the next 2 races (Belgium and Italy)

I think they'll be top 8 in Spa. Maybe no points in Monza.

Race pace today was actually very good, not quite Merc standard but a lot closer.

#1664 Masteroftheuniverse

Masteroftheuniverse

• 105 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 14:48

I think they'll be top 8 in Spa. Maybe no points in Monza.

Race pace today was actually very good, not quite Merc standard but a lot closer.

Spa is all about horsepower too, so i'd wager that they'd be beaten by the Williams (who really should win one of the next 2 races), the Merc, the FI, the Mclaren and the Ferrari. 

#1665 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,537 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 15:21

Before the weekend I was expecting Red Bull to lock out the second row, and be within four. five tenths, and then to trail Mercedes by roughly the same amount in the race.

...but, even if it's very hard to compare race-pace in a race like today, I think the RB10 was closer than that. Much closer. Ricciardo set a 27.35 and Hamilton a 27.38 the same lap or very soon after.

He did have a slightly bunched-up FW so probably lost a couple of tenths worth of performance.

Good weekend for Red Bull.

#1666 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,014 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 15:23

They will just do what they usually do at monza and turn the wings almost horizontal. They will still be competitive.

#1667 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,697 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 15:26

Spa is about DOWNFORCE. Apart from the run up the Kemmel straight horsepower is not going to be the overriding facor. In my opinion Pirelli have done Red Bull a favour bringing softer compounds. Anyone punting for a downforce light setup will kill their tyres.

Edited by Petroltorque, 27 July 2014 - 15:26.

#1668 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,014 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:25

Also, it was a nice win & all, but...

SORT YOUR F'ING CLUTCH OUT RB

#1669 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,469 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:22

2011 car catches fire during road city show

http://www.bild.de/s...08354.bild.html

#1670 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,014 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:42

Must have been Mark's chassis

#1671 Exb

Exb

• 1,269 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:07

Red Bull have used their one permitted change and re-nominated their gear ratios in Spa:
http://www.fia.com/s...ments/Doc16.pdf

#1672 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,697 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 13:47

Monster, Monster, Monster! Unbelievable victory at Spa. Vettel going around the outsde of Button at the Bus Stop!
You have got to ask how much better they could have done if they had put emphasis on straight line speed rather than absolute downforce.

#1673 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,462 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 14:08

they found straightline speed somwhere!  Well done RBR! :up:

#1674 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,029 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 14:11

One of the best victories unless Rosberg/Merc was suffering some sort of serious ailment.

Awesome, superb. DR and Red Bull  :up:  :up:  :up:

Edited by ViMaMo, 24 August 2014 - 14:11.

#1675 SamH123

SamH123

• 1,212 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 14:19

Damage successfully limited  :p

#1676 PassWind

PassWind

• 4,842 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 00:35

Anyone heard any hints at a start system change, tweak or upgrade. Rosberg was slow off the line however both Daniel and Seb got great starts in comparison to both Mercs. 

#1677 Exb

Exb

• 1,269 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 00:48

Anyone heard any hints at a start system change, tweak or upgrade. Rosberg was slow off the line however both Daniel and Seb got great starts in comparison to both Mercs.

Change of gear ratio's - shorter gears should help at the start right?

#1678 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,739 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:32

traction is more of a factor, they can probably spin the tyres easily at low speed, whatever the gearing

#1679 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,014 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:24

They will just do what they usually do at monza and turn the wings almost horizontal. They will still be competitive.

*cough*

Advertisement

#1680 kenkip

kenkip

• 464 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:28

Red Bull have used their one permitted change and re-nominated their gear ratios in Spa:
http://www.fia.com/s...ments/Doc16.pdf

I have a question,Does this mean they can revert to the older settings and keep changing back and fourth or is it this setting to remain unchanged?

#1681 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,793 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:31

I have a question,Does this mean they can revert to the older settings and keep changing back and fourth or is it this setting to remain unchanged?

Once they use the "joker", the ratios are fixed to the end of the year. Next year teams will not have this possibility, so the gear ratios will be fixed all season without possibility for adjustment.

#1682 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,583 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:39

50 wins celebration with RBR:  http://www.infiniti-....com/article/50

#1683 pedrorito

pedrorito

• 87 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:29

50 wins celebration with RBR:  http://www.infiniti-....com/article/50

"It's a great achievement but there's plenty more space in the trophy cabinet and hopefully we'll get to report on 100 race wins at some point before the Internet is something pumped directly into people's brains."

:lol:

#1684 oetzi

oetzi

• 2,982 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:36

Spa is all about horsepower too, so i'd wager that they'd be beaten by the Williams (who really should win one of the next 2 races), the Merc, the FI, the Mclaren and the Ferrari. 

Spa is about DOWNFORCE. Apart from the run up the Kemmel straight horsepower is not going to be the overriding facor. In my opinion Pirelli have done Red Bull a favour bringing softer compounds. Anyone punting for a downforce light setup will kill their tyres.

MYSTIC-MEG_2882318b.jpg

I thought it was against the rules to post under multiple aliases?