* * * - - 2 votes

2014 F1 Championship Prediction

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 rmpugh

rmpugh

• 292 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:10

Yes I know it's only testing day 1, but I can hope :)

I am hoping for this to be the case this season. Ferrari and Mercedes battling it out with their top drivers.

It would be great to see the drivers championship decided by the drivers rather than Newey.

As a finger in the air, (intended), prediction, who do you think will be the protagonists in this years title?

As per the title, my vote is Alonso and Hamilton.

Advertisement

#2 OO7

OO7

• 23,395 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:19

Your motives are sincere rmpugh and I agree with you that it would be great to see, however I don't think topics like this are allowed as they usually very quickly degenerate. 

#3 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,250 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:23

Simply renaming the thread to "who do you think will be the protagonists in this years title?" should suffice.

#4 rmpugh

rmpugh

• 292 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:26

Simply renaming the thread to "who do you think will be the protagonists in this years title?" should suffice.

After 4 years of hurt at the hands of Vettel, surely I am allowed this indulgence?

#5 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:29

It would be great to see the drivers championship decided by the drivers rather than Newey.

Uuuurrrrggghhhhh :rolleyes:

Because every Adrian Newey designed car has been unbeatable, and won both championships. Every one. Without exception.

#6 OO7

OO7

• 23,395 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:35

Yes, that could work.

#7 rmpugh

rmpugh

• 292 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:49

Uuuurrrrggghhhhh :rolleyes:

Because every Adrian Newey designed car has been unbeatable, and won both championships. Every one. Without exception.

As has been widely reported in the past, when Newey has free reign, he is pretty unbeatable. McLaren introduced changes at the start of the millennium to ensure nobody is indispensable by introducing a structure that has nobody in absolute charge of technical stuff. Under his free reign, he won championships in 92, 93, 94, 96, 97, 98 and 99. When he then freed himself from the McLaren structure, he also won in 2010, 11, 12 and 13.  

#8 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:57

The F1 world is traumatised by the success of Newey and Vettel.  I hope for some people's sake that someone else does win.. but.. only if they earn it.  Personally don't care much for who wins it all, just want to see some fun racing.

#9 rmpugh

rmpugh

• 292 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:02

The F1 world is traumatised by the success of Newey and Vettel.  I hope for some people's sake that someone else does win.. but.. only if they earn it.  Personally don't care much for who wins it all, just want to see some fun racing.

Too right. I was a loyal Ferrari supporter till 2003/2004 when I got bored with seeing Schumacher win everything. I am once again a Ferrari supporter, but if Alonso wins the next 4 championships, I will probably want him to lose too. 

Fickle? Absolutely. Domination is really boring.

#10 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:12

Too early to say. But Ferrari and Merc have very strong driver line ups and have had their cars running on the track before the other teams. RBR maybe we see tomorrow. Where is Mclaren ?? :well: 

#11 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:17

Oh lord close this thread mods, this will turn sour quickly

#12 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:25

Yes I know it's only testing day 1, but I can hope :)

I am hoping for this to be the case this season. Ferrari and Mercedes battling it out with their top drivers.

As a finger in the air, (intended), prediction, who do you think will be the protagonists in this years title?

As per the title, my vote is Alonso and Hamilton.

With all due respect, i didn't see Newey out on track even once in the RB9, or RB8, or RB7 for that matter? Was he messing with the cars of Vettel's opponents? I'm not aware of it, and in such a case, a claim you make is perhaps more valid. Surely, this, as it is, it is, for lack of a better expression, baiting. No? :rolleyes:

I personally wish that Vettel wins his 5th straight... just so i could watch people whinge and moan. It was priceless all 4 times.

#13 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,188 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:43

I can see the sentiment behind the original title, but we need a more generic opening that isn't quite so encouraging of the usual controversy, and gives an opportunity for people to nail colors to the mast.

Therefore, rather than close, this is renamed and will be the thread for predictions of genius or madness.

(Unless I've missed it and then it'll be merged/closed! :blush: )

#14 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:09

Personally don't care much for who wins it all, just want to see some fun racing.

+1

But who will bet against Vettel when Webber said the new way of driving will suit him even more than before..

#15 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,536 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:16

As has been widely reported in the past, when Newey has free reign, he is pretty unbeatable. McLaren introduced changes at the start of the millennium to ensure nobody is indispensable by introducing a structure that has nobody in absolute charge of technical stuff. Under his free reign, he won championships in 92, 93, 94, 96, 97, 98 and 99. When he then freed himself from the McLaren structure, he also won in 2010, 11, 12 and 13.  

And then if it wasn't for Michael Schumacher, Adrian would have won in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005 as well. (2004 car wasn't fast enough nor was 2006).

Incredible rate of success since 1992. He just dominated the 1990s. Only to beaten just a mere three times, 1991, 1994, 1995 (all because of superior drivers in Ayrton Senna in 1991 and Michael Schumacher in 1994-1995).

Edited by George Costanza, 29 January 2014 - 03:20.

#16 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,536 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:23

As for this thread,

Fernando Alonso will take it this season.

Or

Nico Rosberg for Mercedes. I think he's going to bloom into heck of a driver.

#17 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 703 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:49

ABV (anyone but Vettel)

ABRBR (anyone but Red Bull Racing)

ideally:

Lewis Hamilton or Jenson Button

Mercedes or McLaren