- - - - -

Electronic Rear Braking System

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OO7

OO7

• 23,408 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 14:36

I'm wondering if it would be possible for a team to use the electronic rear braking system as a method of steering a car through a corner, in a method not too dissimilar from the 1998 McLaren's.  I know under the previous regs such a system would be deemed illegal, but I do wonder if teams could find a work around, possibly using inputs from the differential?

Advertisement

#2 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 18:40

technically you could, it would require some form of "torque vectoring" differential, which get used in some road cars for example. (e.g. Mitsubishi S-AWC)

the graphic shows the "power on" application, but you can do the same under braking/ "power off" - the maximum "power" you would have is the harvesting from the (ERS kinetic a.k.a. KERS) which is higher now then last year.

v2.jpg

the question is, will the rules on differential control permit it?

in the last years, there was a paragraph in the rules, which stated, that it only could replicate an "mechanical"  system, I'm not sure that this has changed for this year

I thought that the McLaren system, didn't actually worked during braking, but more during power down, letting you brake the inside wheel, while the outside would "drive the car around", creating a yawing moment around the z-axis (vertical).

On the McLaren MP4/12

"During the season, F1 Racing photographer Darren Heath noticed that the rear brakes of the McLarens were glowing red in an acceleration zone of the track. The magazine discovered through photos of the inside of the cockpit, that McLaren had installed a second brake pedal, selectable by the driver to act on one of the rear wheels. This allowed the driver to eliminate understeetand reduce wheelspin when exiting slow corners, dubbed "brake steer". Ferrari's protestations to the FIA led to the system being banned the following season at the 1998 Brazilian Grand Prix.

Edited by JRizzle86, 31 January 2014 - 18:42.

#3 thiscocks

thiscocks

• 1,489 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 23:22

It will only work when the driver puts a net amount of effort through the pedal like on a normal system and wont be able to be operated separatley to the front brakes.  Its all policed through the ECU so im pretty sure there wont be any way of applying brakes to any particular wheel or when accelarating.