:(

Good luck for the future Ross.   :up:

Advertisement

#2 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 15:41

I wonder how long it will be before CVC calls?

#3 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 15:43

I would be surprised if he takes the call, he sounds so definite. Wow, surprising news.

#4 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 557 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 15:43

Yes,they will need someone not so,hmm,Bernie.

#5 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 15:50

Maybe he can open an ethics consulting firm with Flavio...

#6 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 9,647 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 15:52

The fishing world doesn't know what's about to hit it. Competitive fly-fishing is about to be revolutionised: double-diffuser rods, flies with active traction-control...

#7 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 16:05

you know what, I actually never thought of that... Brawn will probably make a very good Bernie replacement... 

#8 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 16:06

Adieu Ross. It was nice having you in F1, but you didn't have to sound so definite with your retirement plan, at least give us some hope.

#9 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 16:08

so what stopped him from announcing this when he left Mercedes? Why the BS about 6 month break What was the point in dragging it out? meh..

#10 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 16:15

you know what, I actually never thought of that... Brawn will probably make a very good Bernie replacement... 

Does Brawn have any commercial experience to speak of? No one would suggest Bernie in a technical role...

#11 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 16:25

Those who have followed Brawn know that he has said on several occasions that he is not interested in commercial/business type roles

His forte is technical management.

Edited by Timstr11, 01 February 2014 - 16:26.

#12 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 16:27

The FiA could do with his tech approach. Might get better rules and policing

#13 zepunishment

zepunishment

• 603 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 16:31

He's probably very rich by now, and he's probably decided he'd rather spend the rest of his life relaxing and enjoying his money rather than carry on with the grueling schedule that f1 forces on people at his level. If I were in his shoes, I'd probably do the same :up:

All the best to him.

#14 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 16:35

Ted Kravitz had a great point, it did not seem right seeing Mercedes without Brawn during testing.

Enjoy your retirement Ross, you reached highs with Ferrari and Brawn GP that people can only dream of.

#15 DS27

DS27

• 4,685 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 16:43

Good luck to you Ross. Will be a shame not to see you around the paddock, but you have obviously decided F1 is not the be all and end all so why not do other things.

Maybe he saw how the cars looked and sounded in testing and thought, thats it!

#16 stairpotato

stairpotato

• 673 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 16:46

Tbh in some ways I wish he'd retired at the end of the 2009 season.  From a career perspective I don't think there was any way to top what he achieved that year.

#17 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 16:48

Brawn is just reacting to being overlooked for the job at McLaren for the likes of Boullier.  Better for him to say his hat was never in the ring.  And of course his pretending to not care about F1 by going fishing is just icing on the cake.  But he just couldn't resist calling a press conference of F1 reporters in the middle of his fishing getaway just to tell then he doesn't think about F1 anymore!

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 01 February 2014 - 16:58.

#18 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,164 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 16:49

so what stopped him from announcing this when he left Mercedes? Why the BS about 6 month break What was the point in dragging it out? meh..

I don't think Ross Brawn owns an explanation. Its his life, not a reality television show. He can do what he wants.

#19 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,785 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 16:56

I would love for him to take over Charlie if he comes back. He deserves this break. 

Alternatively a Byrne style relaxing 'consultant' job may also be waiting for him, whether at Merc or Ferrari.

Advertisement

#20 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,342 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 17:00

Tbh in some ways I wish he'd retired at the end of the 2009 season.  From a career perspective I don't think there was any way to top what he achieved that year.

I had felt that way also .. until i saw the fruits of his labour in the W04 last year.. That car may not have won the championship.. BUT.. ever since he had to lay off all those people to keep Brawn GP afloat he knew that he had to rebuild. He left Merc in very good shape and i appreciate his long term vision and methodology.  Added to that .. the man is no slouch in the courtroom..of the big technical cases he had before the FIA he won them..

Its refreshing to have someone who honestly tells it as it is when it comes to where his team is at in interviews.. direct and to the point no need to hide or beat around the bush.

Like him or not I think he has the respect of almost everyone in the paddock .. and that is no mean feat.

Enjoy the fishing Ross.. you earned it

#21 Dalin80

Dalin80

• 729 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 17:05

Maybe he just wanted some time to think about one of the single largest decisions of his life.

Would be nice if he made the occasional trip to the GP's to fill a pundit slot.

#22 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,521 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 17:17

Ross Brawn to join BBC commentary team, you heard it here first!

#23 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,135 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 17:18

Retiring from F1...... So, could he be off to the WEC? Or doing something else....

#24 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 17:21

I love this line: "a shock announcement to a fishing event in Aberdeenshire". :lol:

shark-attack-kayaker.jpg

Anyway, 59 is a good time to do something else. It's not as if he needs to sideline his other interests for lack of money.

He was a great asset to his previous teams, and his decision to continue the Honda team in 2009 was quite a gamble. Given how Mercedes seems to be shaping up, he certainly has things to be proud of there as well. :up:

Edited by Nonesuch, 01 February 2014 - 17:24.

#25 Khars

Khars

• 38 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 17:26

I'll miss him, but not the struggling 3 years with Mercedes. It was a pity not to appoint him TP for Ferrari after his first sabbatical.

Honda remained a dream (earthdream), and then came a big surprise with BGP. I though he will have a struggling private team, but he was lucky: DD was not banned after the first races in 2009.

#26 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 17:33

Because he probably wanted a bit of time to think before making a final decision. These things are done to the persons concerned timetable, not yours.

#27 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 17:34

Brawn is just reacting to being overlooked for the job at McLaren for the likes of Boullier.  Better for him to say his hat was never in the ring.  And of course his pretending to not care about F1 by going fishing is just icing on the cake.  But he just couldn't resist calling a press conference of F1 reporters in the middle of his fishing getaway just to tell then he doesn't think about F1 anymore!

How do you know he was overlooked rather than turning it down?

#28 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,868 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 17:46

There goes afew juicy Ross Brawn - Driver - Team permutations that I would have liked to see.

#29 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,296 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 18:00

This is going to soound selfish, but I'm most pleased, mainly because that means no other team will get him. If he were to join McLaren, I'd be petrified. He should be a lawyer.

As an aside, calls for his head on a silver platter were often demanded during the W02 days, and the latter part of the W03 days - members that visited those threads often will know exactly what Im talking about. I always felt this unfair.

I was dissapointed in the way he got ousted at Mercedes, too. Didnt get nearly the appreciation he deserved. He left Brackly unquestionably better than he found it.

#30 Akcy

Akcy

• 10 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 18:35

He can be back with Honda in '15.

#31 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 18:38

I am sure Ross Brawn will find some way to occupy himself after a year or so enjoying a well deserved rest. He may not want to be back in the centre of things, but racing rarely leaves you completely. We might see him poking his nose around the paddock again...

#32 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,543 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 18:45

Why did he have to retire quite early?

He had some great years ahead of him, IMO.

But, Ross, I wish you the best. One of the greatest technical directors ever and a very fine team owner.

#33 Guizotia

Guizotia

• 1,633 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 18:57

"It's a fantastic honour to do the ceremonial opening of the River Dee. It's a river I've never had a chance to fish before because it is predominantly known as a spring river and in the spring I'm normally trying to sort out a Formula One car in Spain.

Brings back an interesting memory, from 3 - 4 years ago I think - during probably a Jerez test session but definitely on a Saturday.  I lived in Henley-on-Thames at the time and Ross Brawn lives (or at least lived) nearby.  On the Saturday, which was a test day, he was taking his wife clothes shopping in Henley.  She would go about the clothes shops while he would browse WHSmith or hang around his car (a Mercedes estate btw), and this is what he was doing on this day which on one level surprised me, but on another level I thought what can a TP really do day-to-day at a test session?

So he was "normally" either trying to sort out a Formula One car in Spain, or trying to sort out his wife's clothes requirements.  I guess neither can compete with fishing.

Edited by Guizotia, 01 February 2014 - 18:58.

#34 Coral

Coral

• 6,758 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 19:09

Oh, how sad. I didn't expect him to retire completely from F1...he seems too young still.

Enjoy your retirement, Ross! :up:

#35 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 19:18

Utterly clueless comment, even for here. :rolleyes:

#36 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 20:26

How do you know he was overlooked rather than turning it down?

Don't know for sure of course but this 'fishin' trip' press conference certainly points in that direction.  If he had been offered a position he just would have said so but at the end of the day had decided to retire, etc.  I predict he will be back soon enough, I think he cares to much for F1. 

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 02 February 2014 - 16:21.

#37 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 22:11

Wish him well on his retirement, but something tells me he'll fish for 6 months or a year then he'll be looking for a challenge, and someone, somehow will convince him to return to F1. If it wasn't Ron maybe his old friend Luca will call with a JT v2 type job, which as far as I can tell is the type of job Ross wanted at Mercedes

#38 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 22:19

Jeez…….

#39 Anders Torp

Anders Torp

• 591 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 22:36

They won't call anyone who cares about F1.

Advertisement

#40 redbarron

redbarron

• 314 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 23:06

Maybe the MS accident has given him more perspective to enjoy his money and lead more of a family life?

#41 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,647 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 00:19

The FiA could do with his tech approach. Might get better rules and policing

Well as BoschKurve used to rant about ''Ross Brawn isn't anything more than a machinist who worked for March". That one always cracked me up.

Has anyone seen BK? His tirads were very amusing. He's probably doing backflips over this news.

Ross needs to head southern Florida and do some snook fishin'. Good eats and lots of topwater action. F1 will miss RB.

Edited by InSearchOfThe, 02 February 2014 - 00:23.

#42 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 00:28

Perhaps he ideally wanted to, but Mercedes were only happy to buy it off him if he came as part of the package...

#43 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 00:59

Quite a shock.

I was really hoping he was heading to McLaren :(

F1 will miss him but enjoy your retirement Ross, you earned it.

#44 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:19

Shame he won't be around to experience Merc's glory in 2014. He was a big part of creating it.

#45 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,984 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:29

If Ross is looking for a different kind of challenge in his life there's always Formula E.

#46 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 1,384 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:36

He'll be back. Money has a way of changing people's minds. Only question is where will he go?

#47 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:01

Last Wednesday he was saying to wait till summer before deciding and never say never, now a few days later suddenly he says definitely never? Seems a bit weird and more than a coincidence that 4 days of testing is the difference between then and now.. What did he see or hear from there to put a lid on it all?

#48 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,395 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:30

He'll be back. Money has a way of changing people's minds. Only question is where will he go?

I agree,probaly 2015 with Honda as 12 Months fishing combined with watching ManU going downhill will be enough of a break.

#49 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:03

True in a way, yet even the Mercedes years continued to add to his stature. A great one has gone.

#50 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,453 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:16

Good luck Ross. Always will be remembered for orchestrating Michaels countless triumphs at Ferrari, and Brawn GP assault!