Photo
- - - - -

Bernie tips Rosberg for the title

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 03011969

• 656 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 13:20

Bernie tips Rosberg for the 2014 title, according to:  http://www.crash.net...-for-title.html

The usual disingenuous Bernie outpourings, or possibly on the money?

Advertisement

#2 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,442 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 13:22

Looks like they just ripped off the original badly written article, as they too are using 'dark horse', although not in quotes this time which is better, although it's still putting words in his mouth.

Just look at what is written in quotes, these are the bits they're not really allowed to change, then try and imagine the actual question that sparked the response, which they don't tell us.

EDIT: This might be where this article came from:

http://gptoday.com/f...a_a_dark_horse/

Looks like it was originally a telephone interview for an Indian news outlet? That explains why the interviewer asked and introduced the topic of Force India. Bernie never called them a 'dark horse'. The point of the Mercedes and Rosberg prediction is that you can't make any predictions just yet, all we have so far is Jerez, and Mercedes and Rosberg did the most laps.

But now it's this big news story, and we're all going to be wondering why. For what it's worth, I think Nico is an excellent driver, and he went up in my standings last year. This year, as the last few, isn't about wringing speed out of the car either. It's far more about resource management and hitting a delta, in a car that has been described as the easiest Formula 1 car to drive ever.

Edited by RoutariEnjinu, 06 February 2014 - 13:34.

#3 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 13:23

Not gonna happen, if the car's up to it it will be Lewis, simple as that.

Edited by Jovanotti, 06 February 2014 - 13:23.

#4 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 13:23

Pathetic reporting, what he actually said was "The way things worked out at Jerez, Mercedes seem best prepared to succeed with Rosberg winning the title."

#5 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,683 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 13:26

Rosberg is a genius. Lewis is really really really dumb.

#6 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 13:27

Possibly on the money.

If Mercedes have the best car (and it looks like they just might) Rosberg has a decent chance of being WDC in 2014. In 2013,  Nico proved he can beat Lewis often, as in races finished ahead when both finished, I believe the stats showed a 8-8 draw. Button only managed a 7-7 tie with Lewis in that area in 2011, which was Lewis's worst year. That speaks volumes of Nico's race pace.

Qualifying might be crucial for clean air if Merc do have the best car, but even then Nico has shown decent one lap pace, only faltering to Lewis 11-8 in 2013.

Nico has a better chance that 16-1, which is what some bookies have him as to win the WDC. If I was a betting man, I would be all over those odds.

Edited by sennafan24, 06 February 2014 - 13:29.

#7 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 13:45

I don't see what is so controversial about that conclusion. Rosberg is, in everybody's estimation (including his team-mate's), a supremely intelligent guy. The cars are are going to be complex to set up and drive and in that sense I think he has an edge over Hamilton.

#8 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,442 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 13:51

I don't see what is so controversial about that conclusion. Rosberg is, in everybody's estimation (including his team-mate's), a supremely intelligent guy. The cars are are going to be complex to set up and drive and in that sense I think he has an edge over Hamilton.

I don't think it is controversial. It's perfectly reasonable given the resource management nature of F1 2014.

The point is, they're stretching what Bernie said out of context somewhat with the headline. The same as suggesting Bernie called Force India the 'dark horse' of the competition. When he just simply did not.

He directly responded to an Indian interviewer asking about the prospects of Force India.

#9 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 13:56

Hardly anything between Rosberg and Hamilton. If they've got a car that can win it, either of them could. Hamilton's definitely more prone to 'emotional moments' than Nico which could cause him to lose points. Truth is that luck, reliability and other factors outside the drivers control will decide it between them. Could be wrong, but they're that evenly matched, an engine failure here, a gearbox breakage there will most likely decide the outcome.

#10 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 13:57

Rosberg is, in everybody's estimation (including his team-mate's), a supremely intelligent guy. The cars are are going to be complex to set up and drive and in that sense I think he has an edge over Hamilton.

I do not think Rosberg's intelligence will be a big factor in relation to Lewis. Lewis at most tracks can set his car up quite well.

I think Rosberg's skills and pace are his key strengths. Without turning this into a Button slagfest, Nico is clearly quicker than Jenson. If you read the stats I noted above, Nico matched Lewis on pace in 2013, which is significantly more than Button managed in 2010 and 2012. On the basis of pure pace, Nico achieved around the same amount of success against Lewis as Jenson did in 2011. 

The reason why Nico did not outscore Lewis in 2013, whilst Jenson did in 2011, was that Lewis stayed out of trouble more in 2013 than he did in 2011. You could argue in 2011, Jenson beat Lewis due to being the safer/smarter driver for that year. Last year between Lewis/Nico it came down to pure pace, as both more or less made a equal amount of errors. Lewis won partially due to luck, and maybe performing a tad better.

Edited by sennafan24, 06 February 2014 - 13:59.

#11 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,648 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 14:06

Bernie will make rules up to make sure he wins... :p

#12 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 14:32

Bernie could be right. I honestly rate Hamilton and Rosberg fairly evenly. Rosberg's done reasonably well against all of his teammates. He even had a few flashes of excellence in his debut season. If the Mercedes is as good as we're to believe, I think it could go either way with either Hamilton or Rosberg winning it.

#13 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 14:33

If Mercedes is rocket ship, then both of them could win the title. If Mercedes' pace is on par with the likes of Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull, then I seriously doubt that both of them has the mental consistency and percentage game play week in week out in order to pursue a title fight. Their track records are not on their side, albeit I expect Rosberg should have more room to improve. In the latter case, my money will always, always be on Alonso or Vettel. I think jury is still out whether Rosberg or Hamilton has the consistency over a season. They have 'blips' in their games, be it mentally or pace-wise.

Edited by ali.unal, 06 February 2014 - 14:34.

#14 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 14:33

I don't see why a typical throw away remark from Bernie deserves a thread of its own.

#15 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,463 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 14:37

Sorry for not sitting on the fence, but I actually believe Hamilton will have the edge this season. 

#16 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 14:42

Not gonna happen, if the car's up to it it will be Lewis, simple as that.

I'm not so sure. Its 50/50. As ross brawn says, Lewis still has to think about more than just driving. Its about scoring the most points over a season and its too close to call imo. I can see Lewis finding a way to lose it. 

#17 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 14:52

Shhhh, the Lodge Master has spoken. Blessed be.

#18 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 14:56

if I was a betting man, defintely on Lewis. Without a doubt

#19 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 15:16

He could if Mercedes makes use of their advantage over Red Bull from race 1. But don't know, with Nico I always have the idea he's got the bad luck at the worst possible times always. He's very consistent, like a Button, so who knows. If 2014 is a year for being consistent, Nico's got a great shot. I'm sure he'll score more points than last season.

Advertisement

#20 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 15:22

Can Lewis put it together consistently? Has Lewis ever won more than 2 races in a row? Will Rosberg's confidence have been boosted by matching Lewis and beating Schumacher? The team know him very well and they have gelled nicely.

Maybe he lacks the killer instinct of Lewis, but he is certainly up to it. Many tipped him to be destroyed by Schumacher and Hamilton and nothing of the sort happened which suggests he is very head strong. Does he have the ultimate pace of Lewis? No.

Will that matter in 2014? I don't think it will. I think Rosberg, Alonso and Button will be very strong this year.

#21 03011969

• 656 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 15:52

There's not a great deal between Rosberg and Lewis, could easily be down to who the car suits better, rather than outright pace (Lewis) our intelligence (Rosberg).  Basing the season ahead on the first test is inevitably fraught with risk, but if you are going to make a judgement early on then what else is there to go on?

At least Bernie seems to be in the "anybody but Vettel" camp, for once.

#22 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 15:54

Can Lewis put it together consistently?

Yes he can. Lewis has had 7 years as a F1 driver, and his teammates have been Alonso, Nico and Button x3, yet he boosts a 6-1 record in years outscoring his teammates. I think you can safely say Lewis can put it together consistently. He is consistent at certain times more than others, but in general he is very consistent given the standard of teammates he has faced.

In the 2012 season his performances were staggeringly consistent. When both finished, Lewis beat Button 7-3. The car he drove was very inconsistent however, and team errors with pit-stops hindered his results being consistent. Consistent results and consistent performances are not always the same thing. Asking if he has ever won more than 2 races in a row is an unfair question, given he has raced in a field which includes Red Bull/Seb, and usually either Button/Nico/Alonso as a teammate. Other than Seb when the RB has been on top of its game, everyone struggles to amount lengthy win streaks in this era.

In 2013 Lewis was inconsistent, at least in comparison to Nico. But the argument works both ways, if one is inconsistent so is the other.

I am sitting on the fence in who I favor out of Lewis and Nico for 2014.

Edited by sennafan24, 06 February 2014 - 15:57.

#23 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 16:05

The thread topic was tenuous at best and Bernie's comments are not being discussed. This has become a Rosberg vs Hamilton thread and is therefore closed.