- - - - -

Felipe Nasr set to Williams reserve role

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 luispaulob

luispaulob

• 89 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:50

One of the very last seats in formula one is set to be filled by rookie Felipe Nasr.

Last November, we reported that following countryman Felipe Massa's move to Williams for 2014, another Brazilian looked set to become the official reserve driver at Grove.

21-year-old Nasr, a GP2 frontrunner, is backed by Brazilian sponsors Banco do Brasil and Sky Brasil, and managed by Kimi Raikkonen's manager Steve Robertson.

Italy's Autosprint now reports that Nasr looks to have signed an agreement with Williams that will involve running in Friday morning practice sessions at about half of the 19 grands prix this year.

The deal for Nasr, whose surname rhymes with Massa's, will also include "a substantial number of testing kilometers" during the season, the report added.

Brazillian media saying that the contrat includes 9 fridays during the 2014 season and a LOT of km in private testings.

Advertisement

#2 Jvr

Jvr

• 7,598 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:57

Nice to hear. Does this also mean additional sponsorship deals for Williams?

#3 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:00

The last time I watched this guy drive was at the 24 hours of Daytona a couple years back. He's a promising driver and he'll get a race seat eventually, good luck to him.

#4 luispaulob

luispaulob

• 89 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:00

Probably yes. Nasr has a lot of backing from brazillians sponsors. So, they should be involved in the negotations. 

#5 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:38

What ARE the testing rules this year? I know/think we're getting more in-season test days outside the 12 pre-season, but I forget what the allowances are.

#6 Maikel0230

Maikel0230

• 811 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:51

Good to him making the step up, really liked some of his drives in GP2.

That could very well be he has been sponsored by Banco Do Brazil, who has also been rumoured to sponsor Massa. Perhaps extra money comes from OGX, who also sponsored Bruno Senna when he was at Lotus in 2011.

carlin-motorsport-dallara-gp2-11-renault

Edited by Maikel0230, 07 February 2014 - 12:52.

#7 darkkis

darkkis

• 898 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:55

So let me guess.. It's all off from Bottas' practise sessions and testing? :drunk:  So Bottas took off from Senna, who was too a brazilian, and now another Nasr (another Brazilian) uses Bottas' car. :lol:  Kinda funny in some way imo..

#8 taran

taran

• 4,466 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 13:16

The last time I watched this guy drive was at the 24 hours of Daytona a couple years back. He's a promising driver and he'll get a race seat eventually, good luck to him.

Wasn't he rather disappointing in GP2? Surely there must be better prospects out there than someone who will never get to F1 on merit?

#9 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,412 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 13:21

That could very well be he has been sponsored by Banco Do Brazil, who has also been rumoured to sponsor Massa. Perhaps extra money comes from OGX, who also sponsored Bruno Senna when he was at Lotus in 2011

As well as at Williams in 2012. But I've read that OGX owner had big financial trobules recently and is unlikely to be involved in sponsorship this year.

So let me guess.. It's all off from Bottas' practise sessions and testing? :drunk:

I doubt he will replace Bottas every single time. There is not much to suggest that it's going to be this way.

Edited by Anderis, 07 February 2014 - 13:22.

#10 xflow7

xflow7

• 3,085 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 13:25

What ARE the testing rules this year? I know/think we're getting more in-season test days outside the 12 pre-season, but I forget what the allowances are.

If memory serves, there will be 4 in-season test days on Mondays following select GP's.  I *think* they're still restricted to a single car.  Don't remember if there are restrictions about who can drive.

#11 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 13:27

Wasn't he rather disappointing in GP2? Surely there must be better prospects out there than someone who will never get to F1 on merit?

He was more consistently a frontrunner than Ericsson, but has never won a single race in GP2. There were some instances of bad luck, but also enough near-misses to suggest he's struggling to improve as he moves up the levels.

#12 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 13:35

Nasr's record away from GP2 is pretty stellar. GP2 has become an increasingly difficult place to impress that distorts who's actually done the best job, his pace this season wasn't in doubt for me but a combination of overly high deg tyres, stupid tyre rules, the odd bit of bad luck and misjudgement on his part at times meant it never came together. He is a very talent driver IMHO who's has the potential to surprise. Just looking at someone's results is a naive way to judge someone ability.

#13 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 9,653 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 14:36

Brazilian Felipe Massa... Brazilian Felipe Nasr...

How long before one of them realises that there has been an embarrassing cock-up and Williams only intended to hire the other one?

#14 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 14:40

Isn't that what happened to Brabham in 1991? And Ligier made the same mistake in 1993.

#15 taran

taran

• 4,466 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 15:04

Nasr's record away from GP2 is pretty stellar. GP2 has become an increasingly difficult place to impress that distorts who's actually done the best job, his pace this season wasn't in doubt for me but a combination of overly high deg tyres, stupid tyre rules, the odd bit of bad luck and misjudgement on his part at times meant it never came together. He is a very talent driver IMHO who's has the potential to surprise. Just looking at someone's results is a naive way to judge someone ability.

I really don't know how he did and or if he was just in the wrong team at the wrong time. But surely results are the best way to look at someone's ability? They may not tell the entire story but they are a pretty good marker. How many seasons did he have in GP2? If multiple years and still no wins, I don't rate him. And a F1 capable driver should be able to deal with high degradation tyres, stupid tyre rules and what not. The best drivers can cope with different categories and thus different demands on their talent.

Again, I don't know his career except he seemed to do rather badly in GP2 for a title candidate. And if as you say he can't deal with regulations that don't suit him, he has little to bring to the table for Williams besides a bit of extra cash. Thus, it seems very unlikely that Williams would consider him for a race seat should it be available at some point. Therefore, I'd argue he is not the best choice and a driver who has a F1 future would be a better choice. Someone like that Frijns guy. Multiple titles and a win in GP2 with a part season. That shows potential to me. Based on results. Surely there must be other Brazilians more lilkely to succeed?

#16 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 312 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 15:08

I though Susie Wolff was supposed to be the reserve driver? :drunk:

#17 froggy22

froggy22

• 807 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 15:57

I really don't know how he did and or if he was just in the wrong team at the wrong time. But surely results are the best way to look at someone's ability? They may not tell the entire story but they are a pretty good marker. How many seasons did he have in GP2? If multiple years and still no wins, I don't rate him. And a F1 capable driver should be able to deal with high degradation tyres, stupid tyre rules and what not. The best drivers can cope with different categories and thus different demands on their talent.

Again, I don't know his career except he seemed to do rather badly in GP2 for a title candidate. And if as you say he can't deal with regulations that don't suit him, he has little to bring to the table for Williams besides a bit of extra cash. Thus, it seems very unlikely that Williams would consider him for a race seat should it be available at some point. Therefore, I'd argue he is not the best choice and a driver who has a F1 future would be a better choice. Someone like that Frijns guy. Multiple titles and a win in GP2 with a part season. That shows potential to me. Based on results. Surely there must be other Brazilians more lilkely to succeed?

Only had 2 seasons in GP2, only thing disappointing from Nasr was that the first win eluded him. One of his biggest strengths was tyre preservation, so if anything he's perfectly suited for F1. And I'd say he did pretty well last season given his gp2 experience, its evident that you need a lot of experience now to have a chance of winning the GP2 title and he was beaten by 2 gp2 veterans and only lost to Calado by a few points.

#18 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 16:13

Toto sold his stake in the team... so no nepotism for Susie anymore..

#19 luispaulob

luispaulob

• 89 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 17:27

FYI

He beat Kevin Magnussen in 2011 British F3.. He was champion with 9 races to go, and finished with almost two times the numer of points of the second place (Magnussen, who was in the same team as him)..

He also won the F-BMW in his first year, beating drivers like R. Frinjs, Daniel Juncadella, W. Buller, and others.

Advertisement

#20 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,412 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 18:37

Are you sure he did? I don't recall it.

#21 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 18:40

So Nasr is done with GP2?

#22 RuleyRamundo

RuleyRamundo

• 242 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 18:49

Williams needs the money. Hopefully they win this year with the help of Nasr's money and Massa's skills lol.

#23 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 19:14

Yes, because buying your reserve driver place is SO much better than getting it because of your husband's job.

Nasr will waste a year sitting around in the pits waiting for something bad to happen to one of the two Williams drivers.  At this point in his career he should be RACING.

I foresee Nasr shopping for an Indycar drive in 2015....

#24 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 19:36

Yes, because buying your reserve driver place is SO much better than getting it because of your husband's job.

Nasr will waste a year sitting around in the pits waiting for something bad to happen to one of the two Williams drivers.  At this point in his career he should be RACING.

:rotfl:

Well, i get your point but will you argue that Susie makes a better reserve/ test driver than Felipe? :p

I think the next step for team Williams is to stop the wage drain and release (to be polite) Susie.

#25 luispaulob

luispaulob

• 89 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 19:40

Did you read the article?

He is going to drive the car in 9 fridays during the season, and he will be the one in the car for all private tests.. 

So Nasr is done with GP2?

No. He sould be on the grid in 2014

#26 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 19:53

Did you read the article?

He is going to drive the car in 9 fridays during the season, and he will be the one in the car for all private tests.. 

No. He sould be on the grid in 2014

Yes I did read it.  That's why I said he should be racing.  A few practice laps and some test laps do not make a racing season and are a waste of time when he is at the point in his career where he needs as much racing track time as he can get.

He can't be on the grid for GP2 if he is doing F1 free practice can he?

Edited by BRG, 07 February 2014 - 19:53.

#27 luispaulob

luispaulob

• 89 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 20:06

Yes I did read it.  That's why I said he should be racing.  A few practice laps and some test laps do not make a racing season and are a waste of time when he is at the point in his career where he needs as much racing track time as he can get.

He can't be on the grid for GP2 if he is doing F1 free practice can he?

Yes he can. Calado did last year.

He will be in GP2 and testing for Williams. 

About what you said, Bottas did that in 2012 and that helped him when he got a racing contract.

#28 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 20:28

OK, I thought that there was a ban on running in both series, but maybe it is only actual racing in both that isn't allowed.

So which GP2 team will he be at?  And how will he afford it if his sponsorship is going to Williams?

#29 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 20:47

OK, I thought that there was a ban on running in both series, but maybe it is only actual racing in both that isn't allowed.

So which GP2 team will he be at?  And how will he afford it if his sponsorship is going to Williams?

Well F1-GP2 team alliances seem to be the thing now, who nows but it could happen

#30 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 1,201 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:43

Really hope Nasr gets the reserve chance and another strong GP2 drive!

He's also a really nice guy as a matter of fact. I asked him for a photo outside the Monza paddock in 2012, and then he saw me queuing up for tickets at Monza train station on Sunday night and came over and chatted for 5 minutes or so.

#31 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 348 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 14:27

Drivers aren't allowed to compete in GP2 if they have been nominated as a Formula One driver ("No driver nominated by a team participating in the FIA Formula One World Championship will be permitted to participate in the Series.")  Also at weekends where GP2 is running the schedule doesn't allow GP2 drivers to also participate in Formula One's free practice.  But there will be 8 grands prix at which GP2 won't be competing, plus limited amounts of in-season testing.

#32 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 14:38

Yeah but Calado did last year at Monza. So somewhere there's a loophole.

#33 luispaulob

luispaulob

• 89 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 19:45

Sources have confirmed:

Nasr will sign with WILLIAMS, will bring BANCO DO BRASIL and SKY. He will drive 3 entire days of testing (starting in Bahrain in two weeks), and 5 fridays during the season.

He will also compete in GP2, but still didnt decide where. Options are (Russian Time (favourite), Racing E. and Carlin).

PETROBRAS has SIGNED with WILLIAMS, but nothing to do with NASR.

:cool:

#34 joora

joora

• 351 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 20:35

Good for Williams, and good for Nasr. Only wonder whose seat Nasr will take during friday practices.

Williams have managed to amass quite a few sponsors if the rumours are true. Bodes well for their chances of funding aggressive development throuough the season.

#35 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,412 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 20:46

Good for Williams

Not so sure. Selling a 3rd driver role is not necessarily a sign of a team being in good state. Top teams never drive their 3rd drivers during FPSs. It always compromises preparation to race weekend to some extent.

It also doesn't bode well they needed to have a specific 3rd driver to bring Brazilian sponsors onboard, having a Brazilian race driver already.

#36 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:32

Not so sure. Selling a 3rd driver role is not necessarily a sign of a team being in good state. Top teams never drive their 3rd drivers during FPSs. It always compromises preparation to race weekend to some extent.

It also doesn't bode well they needed to have a specific 3rd driver to bring Brazilian sponsors onboard, having a Brazilian race driver already.

It's definitely a step up from nepotism.

#37 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,412 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:29

It's definitely a step up from nepotism.

Susie were not taking away race track time from racing drivers.

#38 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:42

Susie were not taking away race track time from racing drivers.

The other thing is: Bernie must be hedging his bet with Nasr.

Because odd as it may sound, BR is the largest F1 audience and Massa won't be there much longer - so, tought luck - Bottas is having his seat time bought from underneath him just like he did before.

It's just the way it is.

#39 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 21:53

Hope this is true and Nasr does get the reserve role (as well as a GP2 seat). I'm probably a bit biased about Nasr as he was the first driver I noticed outside of F1 (I just randomly came across ITV showing a F3 race and was convinced the commentator was saying Felipe Massa, which I knew couldn't be the case but it made me a fan anyway :) - it is stupid reasons such as this that makes me follow drivers) as a result I have followed his career so would be really pleased if he eventually made it to F1. He certainly was very impressive in the few years of F3 and in the 24hr race (there was a documentary following him for that if I remember right) and even in his 1st year of GP2 where he put in some great drives from down the field to get into the points. It was a bit disappointing he didn't manage to get a win last year but he obviously has some talent so it would be nice to see what he can do in a F1 car.

Advertisement

#40 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:12

He takes the seat from Massa in 2015 or 16.

#41 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,412 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:35

I doubt it's 2015. Williams underlines Massa's contract is "long-term".

#42 joora

joora

• 351 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:26

I doubt it's 2015. Williams underlines Massa's contract is "long-term".

I doubt it will be long term if Massa underperforms. In that case, they have a handy Brazilian reserve which will please Brasilian sponsors.

#43 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,412 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:48

It'll be. Of course any contract can be terminated for some reason.

#44 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 20:42

Nasr was a big disappointment in GP2 for me, I frankly feared for his future if he had stayed there this upcoming season and didn't take the title by literally destroying the field.

But....he's neatly sidestepped that with this move, hasn't he? I only hope it leads to a reasonable race seat with promising early results.

He's also a really nice guy as a matter of fact. I asked him for a photo outside the Monza paddock in 2012, and then he saw me queuing up for tickets at Monza train station on Sunday night and came over and chatted for 5 minutes or so.

I second that. Met him in his F3 days, he is genuinely nice, no pretences at all.

#45 Flyhigh

Flyhigh

• 4,223 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 21:41

I doubt it will be long term if Massa underperforms. In that case, they have a handy Brazilian reserve which will please Brasilian sponsors.

I really doubt Bottas or Nasr or any other rookie or less than outstanding driver will make Massa Under perform next to him, the one I would give the best chance was Hulkenberg.

People who have this image of what Massa did in Ferrari the last few seasons, without considering the tough conditions along side the best driver in the field in an team environment that likes to work behind a star driver, who himself enjoys being in this position very much, will probably be quite surprise  by Massa performance at Williams and leadership.  

Edited by Flyhigh, 15 February 2014 - 22:37.

#46 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,337 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 22:52

At least we can still see here lovely appearence in the garage.

#47 joora

joora

• 351 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:49

I really doubt Bottas or Nasr or any other rookie or less than outstanding driver will make Massa Under perform next to him, the one I would give the best chance was Hulkenberg.

People who have this image of what Massa did in Ferrari the last few seasons, without considering the tough conditions along side the best driver in the field in an team environment that likes to work behind a star driver, who himself enjoys being in this position very much, will probably be quite surprise  by Massa performance at Williams and leadership.  

If Massa thrives in Williams this year, Brasilians will be happy, Brasilian sponsors will be happy and most importantly, Frank will be happy (and Bernie will be happy).

If Massa somehow flops, Frank has a backup which will please the Brasilian public, the Brasilian sponsors, and Bernie (and I guess Nasr too).

#48 luispaulob

luispaulob

• 89 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:43

Sources have confirmed:

Nasr will sign with WILLIAMS, will bring BANCO DO BRASIL and SKY. He will drive 3 entire days of testing (starting in Bahrain in two weeks), and 5 fridays during the season.

He will also compete in GP2, but still didnt decide where. Options are (Russian Time (favourite), Racing E. and Carlin).

PETROBRAS has SIGNED with WILLIAMS, but nothing to do with NASR.

:cool:

CONFIRMED.. Autosport just confirmed everything I said 2 weeks ago..  :clap:  :lol:  :cool:

#49 taz

taz

• 558 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:21

Looks like he has number 40

http://i.imgur.com/g5rfNqN.jpg

g5rfNqN.jpg

Edited by taz, 22 February 2014 - 09:22.

#50 joora

joora

• 351 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:27

CONFIRMED.. Autosport just confirmed everything I said 2 weeks ago..  :clap:  :lol:  :cool:

SKY has not been confirmed yet :)