Historical pitstop & laptime information needed for exciting project

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Naglafar

Naglafar

• 8 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 19:06

Hello everybody,

Let me introduce first, I'm a french F1 fanatic since 16 years, are particularly interested in old seasons, watching old races and collecting annuals, magazines, pictures, everything to have the most complete data for each formula 1 GP.

I have been developing live timing videos for previous Formula One seasons using laptime data and pitstop information.  With the relevant information, I am able to create a simulation of live timing of historical races and so the viewer is able to see a race develop in detail not just in leading positions but throughout the entire field. It is a great way to analyse races from previous era's where timing on TV was not as informative as is the case now. I currently have live timing videos for seasons 1991-1999 and I plan to also make videos for all seasons from 1982 onwards. I also have data for older seasons.

I am in the process of making videos for seasons 1984 and 1985 - however I am missing pitstop information for half of the 1984 season (Brazil, South Africa, Belgium, Detroit, Germany, Holland, Europe, Portugal) as well as Australia 1985. I am therefore asking members of the nostalgia forum to help me if possible by providing me with the aforementioned data. Data should be available in Autosport and/or Grand Prix International. I already checked on Autocourse annuals and there is no pitstop data (at least in the french editions I have). Of course, I will be delighted to share these videos with you by posting links on youtube. I also plan to make live timing videos for pre-1982 seasons and would warmly welcome anybody that may have laptime/pitstop info for other seasons.

If you want to see how it looks like, here is a screenshot of one of my Live Timings (this one is from Mexico 1991)
mini_386317preview.jpg

Kind regards

Advertisement

#2 man

man

• 1,525 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 15:06

So, is there nobody on the nostalgia forum who can provide Naglafar with simple jpeg photos or scans of the lapcharts for 1984 Brazil, South Africa, Belgium, Detroit, Germany, Holland, Europe, Portugal GP (and 1985 Australia) then?!  They are available in period Autosport magazines - bit surprised by the lack of feedback.

Shame because it would be a super resource I think!

#3 gold333

gold333

• 165 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 17:48

You need an annual release of books by Heinz Pruller called Grand Prix Story 19xx (the xx is whatever year you want).

All other autosport publications seem like childsplay in comparison (esp. Some of the UK publications like Motorsport).

Even Autocourse has nowhere near the technical data that Heinz Pruller has, e.g. Speedtrap (mph/kph) data across all days of a weekend for all competitors at every grand prix, pitstop data, hp, torque, minute chassis changes, weights, fuel levels, R&D per GP, behind the scenes deals, drama, driver relationships, anecdotes etc.

If one can speak and read more than only English it is surprising how lacking some of the more famous English language publications are, compared to some foreign ones.

Only downside is that the H. Pruller books are in German (but so what, you are reading data not a novel) and 1980-1999 is likely to be out of print. Ebay is your best bet.

Edited by gold333, 10 February 2014 - 17:53.

#4 Naglafar

Naglafar

• 8 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 18:07

Hello,

Thank you for your help. I never heard of this german collection, seems interesting but I'm not going to buy a foreign book just to have pitstop data for 8 races. Moreover are you sure all editions have all those data ? Generally olders editions have less information than the last ones. I already have the Autocourse edition of that year and it's far enough for me. Do you manage to have the 84 edition ?

Anyway, someone helps me and sends me an Autosport scan from Australia 1985. So I only miss the 1984 GPs I listed in my first post.

#5 man

man

• 1,525 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:59

You need an annual release of books by Heinz Pruller called Grand Prix Story 19xx (the xx is whatever year you want).

All other autosport publications seem like childsplay in comparison (esp. Some of the UK publications like Motorsport).

Even Autocourse has nowhere near the technical data that Heinz Pruller has, e.g. Speedtrap (mph/kph) data across all days of a weekend for all competitors at every grand prix, pitstop data, hp, torque, minute chassis changes, weights, fuel levels, R&D per GP, behind the scenes deals, drama, driver relationships, anecdotes etc.

If one can speak and read more than only English it is surprising how lacking some of the more famous English language publications are, compared to some foreign ones.

Only downside is that the H. Pruller books are in German (but so what, you are reading data not a novel) and 1980-1999 is likely to be out of print. Ebay is your best bet

I think the only info the thread starter seeks revolves around pitstops - i.e. who made pitstops and when. Autosport lapcharts are sufficent for his needs I believe.

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 15:53

If you PM me an email address I'll send the Autosport lapchart scans. Unfortunately the one for Brazil 1984 doesn't show any pitstop info.

#7 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,642 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 16:09

Until about a year ago I still had all my old VHS tapes of the 1984 season. Shame the question didn't come up earlier.

#8 Naglafar

Naglafar

• 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 16:39

Thank you Tim  :clap:  I just send you a PM.

E.B : I also have all 1984 races on video, but the data in the GPs on video is not complete because only some pitstops are shown on TV, not every of them.

#9 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,183 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 18:38

Very interesting project but I don't see how a lap chart on its own is sufficient to do this. Surely you would need to have the complete lap times for every car on every lap?

#10 irvine99

irvine99

• 287 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 20:25

Looking for something like that?

P1030350e6d5.jpg

#11 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,183 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 00:02

Looking for something like that?

P1030350e6d5.jpg

Exactly!

#12 dgs

dgs

• 251 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:01

One thing to remember if looking at 1984 Olivetti-Longines Yearbook which has individual driver lap times, both practice and race. The yearbook does not have any times on the Tyrrell Team, due to the team being disqualified from all GP's they took part in that year.

That information I suspect would be much more difficult to obtain, as you would have had to obtain he timing information at Grand Prix's as they occured.

#13 man

man

• 1,525 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:38

Excellent point dgs. I believe naglafar is gathering his lap-times data from forix. His excellent work can enable us to follow past races in real time with lap times and distances between drivers on a lap by lap basis that was not possible at the time. As he mentions, he is willing to produce "live timing" videos for other historical races so if anybody has laptime info for races prior to 1982 it would be great if you could forward the data to naglafar

#14 Naglafar

Naglafar

• 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 15:11

As man said, I got full lap times since 1982 from forix website. Then I created a software/website witch displays the results in real time, the results are updated each time a driver crosses the finish line.

@dgs : About the Tyrrell lap times for 1984, they are on the Forix website so I got them. The only lap times I didn't have is when a race is red flagged after more than one lap then is restarted and the previous lap was cancelled. I only have the lap times from the laps that are part of the final race classification.

Again, thank you very much to Tim who sent me all the pitstops I need except Brazil 84. It's too bad that it didn't mention the pitstops for this race in Autosport but i found an alternative. As I have the full lap times, I searched all laps 10 seconds slower that the average lap for the given driver then I checked directly on the GP on video to confirm all pitstops for this race.

As I said, if you're interested in my video, don't hesitate to PM me. By now I have all races from 1991 to 2001 but the other will be added progressively.

#15 DDMARC

DDMARC

• 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 18:10

Hello Naglafar,

Brazilian Grand Prix 1984 pitstop history:

Lap 7: P.Ghinzani (Osella)

Lap 13, M.Alboreto (Ferrai)

Lap 21, A.de Cesaris (Ligier)

Lap 23, Ph.Alliot (RAM)

Lap 26, P.Tambay (Renault)

Lap 29, N.Mansell (Lotus)

Lap 29, D.Warwick (Renault)

Lap 29, R.Patrese (Alfa Romeo)

Lap 30, E.Cheever (Alfa Romeo)

Lap 31, K.Rosberg (Williams)

Lap 31, N.Piquet (Brabham)

Lap 34, E.de Angelis (Lotus)

Lap 38, A.Prost (McLaren)

Lap 43, M.Brundle (Tyrrell)

Source: SportAuto magazine

AutoSprint magazine

H.PrĂ¼ller Grand Prix Story 1984

Longines Formula one 1984 information service

I hope the information is of use.

bdw, I search many years the individual driver lap times from 1994 and 1995 season. Can you held me?????

Kind regards,

#16 Naglafar

Naglafar

• 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 15:30

Thank you DDMARC for the Brazil 1984 pitstops :up:

Thank you again for all you guys, you're great, I have everything I need now :clap:

DDMARC : No problem, I can send you the 1994 and 95 lap times, I send them to you by PM right now.

#17 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 17:35

This is super interesting. I've been searching for older seasons data with no success. Any1 knows if these kind of live timing info is available (or can be converted to) in LT format?? 

http://f1lt.pl/index.php?id=1

#18 DDMARC

DDMARC

• 9 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 13:18

Hello Naglafar,

THANK YOU for the full lap times 1994 and 1995. I search this information since 1994........ to day.

Kind regards,

#19 DDMARC

DDMARC

• 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:55

Hello Naglafar,

At revision of the lap times GP San Marino 1994 I came to the conclusion that the operation of nr.24 M.Alboreto lack.

He drove 45 rounds.

Can jou help me ??????

Kind regards,

Advertisement

#20 DDMARC

DDMARC

• 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 17:26

Hello Naglafar,

THANK YOU for the lap times from M.Alboreto San Marino 1994 Grand Prix.

Kind regards