Photo

Change of heart on "You like this" feature

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,372 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 23:29

When it first appeared, considered this to be an unwelcome injection of the outside world's newfanglingmanglingoflife (Zmeejoyceanism) habits into the cocoon of Atlas/Autosport.

Have changed my mind and had a change of heart.

1. Cuts down on my ":up:" only posts.

2. Really like it when it offers an opportunity to join (an)other poster(s) in liking a post.

3. Have come to think that it's actually kinda cool.

There ya go -

a rare instance of a hidebound, tradition-loving Zmeej embracing an innovation. :stoned:

Other thoughts on this?

Other thoughts on other "innovations"?

Edited by Zmeej, 09 February 2014 - 23:32.

Advertisement

#2 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 23:58

I think there are two sides of this "Like" feature madalion. On one side, you use it for showing affection or for bookmark purposes in regard to an individual post. On the other side, you use it to display your agreeing with the post(er) in question, especially during a heated discussion. Now, there is an interesting social dimension to it, which may quickly escalate to a 'social' lynch.

There is an unwritten rule which triggers a chain of events: If there are two different opinions clashing each other in a discussion, "Likes" count could determine the way where the discussion goes, especially if one of two opinion is controversial. What happens here is that silent majorty or so called 'lurkers' starts to Like the less controversial opinion, causing the Like count increase by the minute. When a new 'lurker' hops into the discussion, he/she would be affected by the sheer number of Likes one particular post received, just because of the fact that he/she would feel safe to be in a majority. Therefore, perhaps involuntarily and subconsciously, likes it. Others come and others like it as well. In a matter of seconds, the writer of the controversial opinion is socially suppressed, as it were, even though there may not be anyone who actually contributed anything to the discussion at all. By the sheer power of majority, that writer succumbs to yield.

Dubbed as a social feature, "Like This" phenomenon can be a handy social opression tool as well. Irony at its best, IMHO.

#3 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,372 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:55

I like your style. :up:

And thus, of course, had to "like" your post. :cool:

#4 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:00

By the sheer power of majority, that writer succumbs to yield.

Well yeah, if he's a pussy.

#5 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:09

:up:

#6 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,338 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:13

Classic like-bait.

#7 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:29

When it first appeared, considered this to be an unwelcome injection of the outside world's newfanglingmanglingoflife (Zmeejoyceanism) habits into the cocoon of Atlas/Autosport.

Have changed my mind and had a change of heart.

1. Cuts down on my ":up:" only posts.

2. Really like it when it offers an opportunity to join (an)other poster(s) in liking a post.

3. Have come to think that it's actually kinda cool.

There ya go -

a rare instance of a hidebound, tradition-loving Zmeej embracing an innovation. :stoned:

Other thoughts on this?

Other thoughts on other "innovations"?

Zee-me-Gee...you do realise that your sterling efforts managing what you like and dislike here is largely wasted because a large number of users have no idea what the notification icons are all about or where they bloomin' are! :up:  :kiss:

#8 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,847 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:23

Some of us have even blocked the like button (and the warning points notification, come to that!) with an element hiding helper ...

#9 HP

HP

• 19,632 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:09

What I like about that button is that instead of quoting and :up: or whatever and post a response, I simply hit the like button, Thus not polluting a thread with rather pointless replies. That was one of my main issues with the old board software.

To me, the like button, despite it introducing other issues, make threads less cluttered to read.

#10 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 17:04

Well that could have been fixed by people being more discriminatory with effectively empty posts.

The problem I have at the moment is several times in the past few days I've had a notification alert, I click it, the drop down box kind of stalls out and shows me nothing. The notification disappears but I also can't look at them at all. So I don't know if someone is liking and then changing their mind before I see it, or one got stuck in the pipes.

#11 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,639 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 17:25

For those having the same problem as Ross, this fix worked for me:

Go into your profile and My Settings, over on the left you should have the option to open My Notifications. Delete any notifications that have any symbols etc as part of the user name. I think the bar struggles to load them. I have reported this issue.

#12 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 17:27

Cleared it up immediately for me too.

#13 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 18:19

I wish there was a feature called "Jerk This". What a lovely way that would be to rant at useless ***** without so much as how the **** you do.

#14 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 19:04

lmfao andrew

#15 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 23:23

I wish there was a feature called "Jerk This". What a lovely way that would be to rant at useless ***** without so much as how the **** you do.

lmfao andrew

I think the only advantage a proper karma system has over this FB-style deal is that you can leave messages with the karma. If you approve of a guy's post you can send a little "well done mate", and if he's talking nonsense you can tell him you hope his children turn out poorly.

#16 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,338 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:06

What I like about that button is that instead of quoting and :up: or whatever and post a response, I simply hit the like button, Thus not polluting a thread with rather pointless replies. That was one of my main issues with the old board software.

To me, the like button, despite it introducing other issues, make threads less cluttered to read.

+1.

#17 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,200 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:25

It's not bad, but it's way too easy to accidentally like a post on the mobile layout. I end up going back and unliking them later (sometimes a few days later, when I come across them) which makes me feel like a jerk. :well:

#18 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:48

+1.

:up:

#19 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:11

I end up going back and unliking them later

Should that not be "disliking"??

Advertisement

#20 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,200 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 13:32

You know, you're right--whoops. :rotfl:

#21 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,394 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 14:48

You know, you're right--whoops. :rotfl:

It depends on the level of antipathy surely?

#22 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 15:22

Or is it the law of unintended consequences coming into play?

Neil

#23 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 16:12

Sometimes I unlike stuff just to like it again. Makes people feel good, you know?

#24 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,372 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 21:38

ali.unal :wave:

I wish there was a feature called "Jerk This".

Agree with the sentiment already, but some follow-up queries:

- Do you mean "Identify this ****er as a 'jerk'"? (EDIT: hmmm. they're getting more strict about expletives... :cool: )
- Do you mean "Erase this ****en post"?
- Both?
- Precisian's Note: "I wish" takes the subjunctive, i.e. it should be "there were." :kiss:

Allan Lupton :up: :clap: :up:

Excellent idea for a feature: "Dislike this." :stoned:

Edited by Zmeej, 13 February 2014 - 21:39.

#25 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:32

I'd like to see one that says:

*cough* Bullshit!