Photo

Happy 80th birthday, John Surtees

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:52

John Surtees celebrates his 80th birthday today!

Advertisement

#2 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 13:41

Best Wishes John! Take care.

#3 ktrhe

ktrhe

• 91 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 14:00

All the Best!

Take Care, John

#4 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 15:52

:clap:

#5 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 20:32

Best Wishes to Big John...Cheers!

#6 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 21:38

Best wishes.

#7 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 22:24

Legend John Surtees has agreed to come for a chat on my radio show in April on www.meridianfm.com- date to be agreed.Asked his PA if he would pick some memorable songs for us to play.

Edited by richie, 11 February 2014 - 22:25.

#8 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 977 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:43

80 years celebrated by Big John and 50 years celebrated by me as a dedicated fan.  :)

Many Happy Returns of the Day!

#9 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,202 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:48

Sorry, one day late! :o

HaPpY bIrThDaY, Big John!

(Sounds much better than Sir John, anyway)

Edited by Michael Ferner, 12 February 2014 - 09:49.

#10 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 22:31

Legend John Surtees has agreed to come for a chat on my radio show in April on www.meridianfm.com- date to be agreed.Asked his PA if he would pick some memorable songs for us to play.

I've got some ideas but can you come up with suggestions of what I could Big John?

#11 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:57

Eighty years old!  Good Grief!!  I was a motorcycle mad ten year old when I first became a fan of John Surtees.  In 1998 I met him for the first and only time at the inaugural Goodwood Revival.  He remains to this day the only driver I have ever asked for an autograph.

Happy Birthday John!

#12 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 21:18

John Surtees has re-scheduled to come on my radio programme on Tuesday 20/5/14  for a chat, just checking the time probably 8-9pm www.meridianfm.com.

Listen online or on your radios 107 Meridian FM in the East Grinstead area of about 10 miles. Waiting for a selection of songs or may choose something of my own from 1950's onwards.

Updated timing now 20/5 as above, picking some tunes.

Edited by richie, 26 May 2014 - 19:25.

#13 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:40

I met John back in January at the Autosport show and he is a very polite fellow I have to say. The amount of 'selfie pictures' he was taking with fans was amazing and the poor devil must have been knackered after it all. He had a very firm handshake I have to say and not something I was expecting from a guy who generally looks quite frail. He's anything but! :)

#14 Adrian Beese

Adrian Beese

• 55 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 16:47

I was at a cold Llandow kart meeting about 2003 working as the official event photographer. I was walking around the motorhome awnings with my proof book. I went into a modest operation and found an elderly man servicing his small sons kart. After a minute or so of conversation I stopped and garbled "god your John Surtees, your one of my heroes" Thank you he said, and I retreated completely stunned, a speechless 52 year old.

He is still one of my all time heroes. 

#15 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 20:57

May Bank Holiday Monday John Surtees, the only man in the World to win Championships on 2 and 4 wheels... will be roaring through the town during this great Edenbridge Fun Day on 26th May. This special event will see some of John’s cars and bikes not only in “action” but a static display where John’s Team was based, at the end North end of the town towards Marlpit Hill. Last year was a fantastic display from John his friends, with his mechanics revving – up the great MV Augusta and BMW; that John raced in the early days of his 2 wheeled motorcycle career.

The cavalcade will start at 1500hrs, with John leading the procession along High Street in the Ferrari 158; in which he won his 1964 Formula One Driver's World Championship. He will be followed by cars and bikes significant to both his and Team Surtees history…These will include a 1960 four-cylinder MV Agusta GP motorcycle and a 1954 BMW Rennsport twin-cylinder motorcycle – Surtees raced for the factory team at the Nurburgring in 1955. There will also be a 500cc 1949 Vincent Grey Flash motorcycle built by John in 1979 using a large number of parts from the original machine that he built in 1950 whilst working as an apprentice at the Vincent Company.

A chance to see the man and his cars in “Team Surtees” home town. There will be some rarely seen racing cars and bikes taking to the streets in a special anniversary tribute parade through the town. The first Formula One car built by Team Surtees at its Edenbridge base – the TS7 – will also make an appearance. The car won the Gold Cup and finished fifth in the Canadian Grand Prix in 1970. The 1972 TS14, which came fifth in the World Championship driven by Mike Hailwood and Carlos Pace, will also feature in the procession and will be the 1973 TS15 that came second in the World Championship running a Brian Hart-developed Ford BDA engine, also driven by Mike Hailwood.

Edenbridge has been Surtees' business base for the past 56 years. As well as celebrating John’s remarkable racing achievements, the Fun Day will raise awareness – and funds – for local charities including the Kent Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance and Henry Surtees Foundation www.henrysurteesfoundation.com

#16 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 19:26

John Surtees has re-scheduled to come on my radio programme on Tuesday 20/5/14  for a chat, just checking the time probably 8-9pm www.meridianfm.com.

Listen online or on your radios 107 Meridian FM in the East Grinstead area of about 10 miles. Waiting for a selection of songs or may choose something of my own from 1950's onwards.

Updated timing now 20/5 as above, picking some tunes.

If anyone wants a copy of the recording, please pm me as it was entertaining.