Bernie placed a bid to buy Nordschleife

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:14

http://motorsportsta...burgring-track/

Didn't see a thread about it. I think it merits a thread given the history of the track, and the fact that it is still the most daunting circuit in the world. I stumbled upon this piece of news as i was browsing for video games with the circuit in it (for pc :p)

Share your thoughts about this. I know there are going to be mixed emotions about the subject, as we all love racing and its history, but most of us have little love for Bernie.

I personally do not mind, if the circuit gains some of its glory back... though knowing Bernie, i wonder what he may do with people going around the circuit. i would like to hear his views on this, but i couldn't find an appropriate source.

Advertisement

#2 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,441 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:17

How ironic though, Bernie faces bribery trial in Germany and at the same time he reaches into his back pocket with his left hand and offers another form of bribe (Buying and bailing out the troubled Nurburgring) to Germany to probably get a favourable outcome in the trial.....

I know it sounds a bit warped but thats the way it comes across especially due to the impeccable timing of the events.....coincidence, I think not

http://gptoday.com/f...he_Nurburgring/

Charges pressed against Bernie Ecclestone.

#3 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:27

A very interesting move and being cynical, I don't think that the two events are entirely unrelated. This could be an attempt to gain sympathy from Powers That Be in Germany.

#4 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:29

Why doesn't he just buy Germany instead?

#5 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:47

A very interesting move and being cynical, I don't think that the two events are entirely unrelated. This could be an attempt to gain sympathy from Powers That Be in Germany.

Man has been around motorsports for more than 4 decades and he was dealing with cars even before that. In 2010, he also bid to buy SAAB. He may genuinely be trying to invest in the track, as he could do stuff for the track, and may make money out of it. "The bribery effect," it may just be a side-effect that he wouldn't mind.

Edited by garagetinkerer, 13 February 2014 - 04:48.

#6 surbjits

surbjits

• 943 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:11

Political move: see abramovich's acquisition of Chelsea and how this asset helped him in a London court case.

#7 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,638 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:38

Tilke can see the dollar signs already. Where to put all the run-off tarmac...