* * * * * 1 votes

INDYCAR driver Simona De Silvestro may get 2015 Sauber F1 seat

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#51 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,588 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 21:06

I can not see why she supposedly are anywhere close to F1, and I have learned that FORIX is not all drivers. Wanted to see her junior achievements, and she is not there. So double checking neither is Danica. There goes that as a useable reference.

:cool:

Advertisement

#52 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,805 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 21:20

I think the Forix driver search only works on F1 drivers. You have to find other people through their individual series.

For instance, even I am listed on Forix. That's how thorough they are.

#53 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,983 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 21:23

Good for her I guess. I hope that this leads to something more than the occasional outing Wolff and de Villota got, as just being a permanent garage fixture is not a good career progression. If she's good enough to get a race seat then best of luck.

Well unlike those two, she does at least have some credibility as a driver. Though you kinda wonder where the money is coming from if she left Indycar due to lack of sponsorship?

#54 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,469 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 21:38

Well, Zanardi was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The Indycars he won in were real drivers cars, while the switch to grooved tyres basically killed him in 2008. Add to that, that the 2008 Williams wasn't a winner to begin with. Both Zanardi and Bourdais weren't given enough time. F1 never had much patience with them CART converts. Andretti was sent home just after he scored his first podium in a car that was everything but a winner. Zanardi was sacked too early, too. Bourdais was in a midfield team and delivered midfield results, he just had the misfortune to be paired with Vettel and that hasn't done good to any team mate so far as Vettel made them all look like bloody amateurs. People forget that Indycars and F1 cars are completely different and you need time to adapt.

I don't agree with your impression of JPM. He was a bloody good F1 driver, he merely didn't fit into the politically correct world of corporate F1. He shone in both Indys and F1.

I think you mean 1999.

#55 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,588 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 21:53

I think the Forix driver search only works on F1 drivers. You have to find other people through their individual series.

For instance, even I am listed on Forix. That's how thorough they are.

Kevin Magnusen was on last year before he was in F1, Nasr is there and I am pretty sure MarcO Soerensen as well. They are all and were all in some capacity aligned with F1 last season. I was under the impression I could find all drivers, obviously now know I can not.

#56 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,983 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 22:59

I can not see why she supposedly are anywhere close to F1, and I have learned that FORIX is not all drivers. Wanted to see her junior achievements, and she is not there. So double checking neither is Danica. There goes that as a useable reference.

Nowhere in FRenault Italia in 2005 (Kobayashi won it but it was her rookie year and his second)

Moved to America - did a year of BMW and three of Atlantics. Four wins, four poles and nine podiums got her third position in 2009 and a move up to Indycars.

Four years of Indycars in smallish teams with one podium in her fourth year (though the third year was a complete write off because of the Lotus engine!)

There's plenty of male drivers out there with better CVs and no drive this year (or stuck in sportscars because it pays the rent) but she's not completely without talent and has shown an occasional turn of real speed.

#57 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,805 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:18

Kevin Magnusen was on last year before he was in F1, Nasr is there and I am pretty sure MarcO Soerensen as well. They are all and were all in some capacity aligned with F1 last season. I was under the impression I could find all drivers, obviously now know I can not.

Go to the last series they raced in.

Simona

http://forix.com/dri...=1988090100&c=0

Danica

http://forix.com/dri...=1982032500&c=0

#58 teejay

teejay

• 3,767 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:10

Bet my life savings she is not a F1 driver in 2015.

#59 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:12

This is fantastic.  Time we get another woman in F1.  I am already a fan.  :up:

Advertisement

#60 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 2,018 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:20

Sauber got rid of Frijns and replaced him with Sirotkin/van der Garde - that sums up their attitude towards talent. De Silvestro would have to pull a Timo Glock (go win in GP2) for me to take this wholly seriously.

#61 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,460 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:48

So now Sauber has Gutierrez, Sutil, Van der Garde, Sirotkin and Silvestro

What a mess

#62 sneaker91

sneaker91

• 218 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:20

Lame publicity stunt to get sponsor attention.

Lame.........

#63 FatHippo

FatHippo

• 189 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:14

Lame publicity stunt to get sponsor attention.

Lame.........

Cynicism is strong with this one... :smoking:

#64 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,683 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 14:04

http://en.wikipedia....na_de_Silvestro

I looked here for her record. I've no idea how competitive the series or the teams she has been in are, but she doesn't pop out as a must have driver. 

#65 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,805 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 14:14

That said, well ahead of the de Villotas and Wolff's of the world.

#66 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,671 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 14:22

I'm not in position to rate her talent and capabilities as a racing driver, but quick look at her statistics made me think that a male driver with achievements like that would've never attracted any kind of interest from F1 teams (unless bringing more money than other contenders for F1 seats).

#67 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 14:25

Well, Zanardi was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The Indycars he won in were real drivers cars, while the switch to grooved tyres basically killed him in 2008. Add to that, that the 2008 Williams wasn't a winner to begin with. Both Zanardi and Bourdais weren't given enough time. F1 never had much patience with them CART converts. Andretti was sent home just after he scored his first podium in a car that was everything but a winner. Zanardi was sacked too early, too. Bourdais was in a midfield team and delivered midfield results, he just had the misfortune to be paired with Vettel and that hasn't done good to any team mate so far as Vettel made them all look like bloody amateurs. People forget that Indycars and F1 cars are completely different and you need time to adapt.

I don't agree with your impression of JPM. He was a bloody good F1 driver, he merely didn't fit into the politically correct world of corporate F1. He shone in both Indys and F1.

As for Andretti and that car that was 'everything but a winner', i think Senna would disagree. And it took Mika two races to get that car on the podium.

#68 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 1,377 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 14:33

Sauber must have seen the press attention Williams got through Wolff and wanted some of the same. Sure, de Silvestro is miles better than Wolff, but with 0 IndyCar wins it does just look like another publicity stunt.

Is she going to get a race seat? Absolutely no chance.

Find it a strange decision from her as well, sacrificing a year of racing to do...well, what exactly? Stand around a paddock, doing nothing. Whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

#69 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,805 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 14:51

Is she sacrificing or taking what's available? 

#70 Risil

Risil

• 14,423 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 14:52

Word before Simona signed for Sauber was that she didn't have many offers on the table barring Formula E. A year in the Formula One bubble probably won't hurt her contacts and ability to meet with sponsors. Which is what she needs, ultimately.

#71 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,069 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 14:58

There aren't many circumstances where it's better not to race for a year than to race for a year, but unfortunately Simona might've found one. Standing around an F1 paddock as a reasonably pretty girl the majority of the racing community believes in isn't the worst thing she could be doing.

Having said that, Formula E would've been fun if IndyCar wasn't an option. Lots of quality drivers in that series, if she was regularly on the podium there it would help her.

#72 Spillage

Spillage

• 1,053 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 15:11

Suffering succotash, maybe we can get her name right in the title?

I will take this more seriously if further announcements are made: if this turns out to be some silly shit like she gets a Friday practice at Interlagos and that's it I'm going to be disappointed. Sauber aren't exactly rolling in money, and affiliating yourself with who is easily the best female circuit driver in major motorsports today is not a bad move, even if it may be a disingenuous one. It seems questionable that this partnership to explore the future is coming about when she's nearly 26, not when she's 16.

I don't know about this - 26 seems as good a time to switch as any. Wasn't JV a similar age when he joined Williams? Of course, his record in the States was stronger than de Silvestro's but his is an example that the mid-twenties is a good time to make such a move - recognised, experienced and respected whilst being young enough to have a decent crack at F1.

#73 Risil

Risil

• 14,423 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 15:18

Montoya switched to Williams on the year of his 26th birthday too.

I wouldn't put De Silvestro up there with those two (or even Zanardi or Bourdais, for that Matta) but her age isn't counting against her.

Edited by Risil, 15 February 2014 - 15:19.

#74 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,107 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 15:18

There has been worse to make the jump to F1. Even from IndyCar. 

But what does it mean to be "affiliated"? Comes across like lower than intern, which is lower than the great, "Developmental Driver" title often given to these types of driver. More like the team is benefiting from her, more than she will ever benefit from the team. 

Do I hope she gets a seat? Sure, but the way Sauber is year to year, money seems to become a significant factor in someone getting a seat there. And with the past with Frijns (a signed reserve driver) getting the shaft over Sutil, seems a check will get a driver a seat next to Sutil or Gutierrez in 2015. 

Yeah, but Villeneuve and Montoya had 2 CART titles and 16 wins in 4 years of combined service in the series before making the move. Simona has a single podium in 4 years of an IndyCar career. 

Edited by HaydenFan, 15 February 2014 - 15:21.

#75 Risil

Risil

• 14,423 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 15:25

The Nuclear Clean Air Energy sponsorship showed that Simona is capable of making deals that her as-talented rivals can't. She's a better bet than most to bring that cheque.

Frijns may have a world championship in his future but there are only a few teams that can afford to develop the best talent, and Sauber aren't one of them. Might as well point the finger at the likes of Ferrari and Mercedes.

#76 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,805 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 15:27

Well...

The Nuclear deal existed at another team pre-Simona. Simona's management was good at scooping it. Which is roughly the same thing in practical terms. She can get funding others can't.

I guess there's extra test days allowed this year, or even just the Young Driver Test. And it'd be relatively easy to raise the few hundred thousand to cover those drives, on the back of the one-off PR you get from it. As opposed to the millions and millions for Indycar. Which I assume she doesn't have anymore. Otherwise you could easily race in Indycar and be 'affiliated' with Sauber.

#77 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,069 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 15:30

I don't think her age is against her either. I said that because if Sauber truly wanted her to race for them, why is this happening now? She's impressed people in the biggest single-seater racing series that isn't F1 for 4 years now, it's not like Sauber just found out about her yesterday. She's had that goofy, different-for-the-sake-of-being-different Swiss flag next to her name her whole life. She's not a surprise. So I look for reasons why this might've come about when it did, and now it's conspiracy time (but a positive one for a change):

There are some smart cookies at Sauber and I wouldn't be surprised if 5 or 6 years ago someone realized there are a lot of fast and pretty racing drivers coming out of Switzerland (Simona, Rahel Frey, Natacha Gachnang, Cyndie Alleman, etc.) that would be a dream for Sauber to get competitive in F1 with them, and they realized it would be the best move not to make some stupid junior system like Red Bull but to let all those drivers progress their careers naturally, and when they're all 25 and shown what they can handle, pick the best of the bunch. Which Simona clearly is. You can't tell me with a straight face if you wanted to start an F1 team with two drivers who need to check boxes labelled "Swiss" and "female", Simona isn't in one of those seats.

Now I don't really buy that's what they did, but for a company that might not have the money to copy a Red Bull system it's not out of the realm of the possible. Sit back and pick the best of the best when they're all around the same age and aren't unknown quantities anymore.

Edited by Andrew Hope, 15 February 2014 - 15:32.

#78 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,107 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 15:31

Well...

The Nuclear deal existed at another team pre-Simona. Simona's management was good at scooping it. Which is roughly the same thing in practical terms. She can get funding others can't.

I guess there's extra test days allowed this year, or even just the Young Driver Test. And it'd be relatively easy to raise the few hundred thousand to cover those drives, on the back of the one-off PR you get from it. As opposed to the millions and millions for Indycar. Which I assume she doesn't have anymore. Otherwise you could easily race in Indycar and be 'affiliated' with Sauber.

Actually, the sponsor was with the Newman Wachs Atlantic team and JR Hildebrand before Simona joined. The sponsor stuck with the driver after the Newman Wachs teams switched to GT racing. 

#79 Risil

Risil

• 14,423 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 15:37

Actually, the sponsor was with the Newman Wachs Atlantic team and JR Hildebrand before Simona joined. The sponsor stuck with the driver after the Newman Wachs teams switched to GT racing. 

I stand corrected although bloody hell it's hard to find anything through Google about the Nuclear Clean Air programme pre-2008, when Simona first raced in Atlantics. Would it be fair to say that before Simona, Paul Newman was the main reason the deal happened? I remember reading from Miller (or possibly Stonefeld) that McDonalds were with Sebastian Bourdais in Champ Car because Newman was.

Maybe woman racers are roughly equivalent to Hollywood team owners. Letterman must be good at pulling in sponsors too.

Advertisement

#80 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,805 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 15:43

McDonalds was a b2b deal effectively. The Newman-Haas sponsorship started around the same time as Newman's Own was on their new line of salads. More amusing was it was at the height of the Freedom Fries stupidity and here's a super rapid Frenchman.

Also not to be underestimated. The marketing people knew socially and business-wise, a big McDonalds franchise holder.

#81 prommer

prommer

• 166 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 19:53

Anyone looking around in her Indycar stats for information will have to take note of a LOT of asterisks that apply to her career.

2010 (19th)- with HVM, undoubtedly the worst team in the paddock

2011 (20th) - still with HVM, with an absolute pig of an 8 year old chassis to lug around after totaling the new chassis at Indy; also missed 2 races for injuries and visa problems

2012 (24th) - LOTUS.  Enough said.  The only driver stuck with the Slotus for the whole season

2013 was the only reasonable year for comparison -- in fact, the comparison between her (13th) and Barrichello in 2012 (12th) is especially apt as it was the same team and the same car, assumedly. 1 podium for de Silvestro to 0 for Barrichello, but who's counting?

#82 Red17

Red17

• 3,446 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 20:17

If she gets a shot at it good for her. Sauber has been the launch pad for some good drivers.

I was impressed how well she took the burns in her hands after that freak fly at Indianapolis.

#83 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,767 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 20:25

I read a very convincing article last year, can't remember where though....I'm inclined to think Autosport/Motorsport, but it may even have been in F1 Racing or...for some reason I'm thinking Pete Windsor's youtube show....anyway, an article that was fairly confident in it's assessment that Simona will be the next female F1 RACE driver (not test driver).

I had forgotten about it but this news has brought it back to memory. Other than seeing her in Indycar on tv, I don't profess to know anything about her in terms of background, sponsors, backers, connections etc, but all this would suggest she has had the right connections for a while and is on her way to F1 as a soon to be race driver.

#84 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 689 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 00:57

Based on watching her in IndyCar Simona seems like a competent driver and she is certainly dedicated to improving her skills. IMHO there is nothing to indicate she deserving of an F1 drive on merit, but then again merit does not always seem to be a requirement in gaining entrance to the circus.

#85 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,290 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 20:25

This gal got her first F1 laps today in a repainted Sauber  :up:

http://www.f1fanatic...est-day-sauber/

She doesnt reach minimum weight for a 2014/15 car, yet

saub-desi-fior-2014-1-886x590.jpg

saub-desi-fior-2014-5-886x590.jpg

Edited by Richard T, 26 April 2014 - 20:28.

#86 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 401 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 21:06

Wow, how ugly does a 2012 stepped nose look having not seen one for a while?! Makes this years cars seem not so bad. Ugh.

#87 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,469 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 21:10

What's the story with the livery?

#88 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 989 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 21:10

what a waste of money.

#89 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 989 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 21:12

What's the story with the livery?

I think she is sponsored by the nuke industry....

http://nuclearcleanairenergy.com/

nuke advertising on petrol powered racing cars, no wonder future kid won't watch F1....

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 26 April 2014 - 21:31.

#90 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,290 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 21:17

http://Nuclear Clean Air Energy

nuke advertising on petrol powered racing cars, no wonder future kid won't watch F1....

O'rly?  :smoking:

They both have stepped noses

Korea%20Nuke.jpg

Edited by Richard T, 26 April 2014 - 21:17.

#91 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,418 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 21:18

It's the livery she ran in Indycar last year, adapted to that of the old Sauber lines. I understand that she is gaining F1 experience/exposure/connections, but I wonder what Sauber gain from this partnership, and how far it will go.

9676DiSilvestroBarber13-676x450.jpg

Edited by Disgrace, 26 April 2014 - 21:19.

#92 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 989 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 21:19

yeah! go clean **** Up Shima! Nuke industry nuke industry nuke industry nuke industry already advertising on a Caterham GE GE GE GE

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 26 April 2014 - 21:21.

#93 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,469 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 21:21

http://Nuclear Clean Air Energy

Best clean power source we have, but you'll have a hard time making a reactor small and safe enough to put in a car.

#94 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 989 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 21:25

Best clean power source we have, but you'll have a hard time making a reactor small and safe enough to put in a car.

Yeah very clean, off to Fuku with you. And when the big one hits the US west coast.... hahahaha. All that money is squeezed out of nuke power but they don't invest in safety... lik ethe bridges those things will fall.. and call it clean then.

#95 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 989 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 21:27

but back to Silvestro... what is Sauber trying to achieve?

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 26 April 2014 - 21:40.

#96 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,356 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 21:49

heh, don't give the FIA any more goofy ideas, bad enough that they run Prius engines as it is...

#97 loki

loki

• 2,153 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 00:08

but back to Silvestro... what is Sauber trying to achieve?

Paying their bills...

The fact is that racing takes money.  For most companies the value of F1 isn't worth the cost.  Which results in a shortage of sponsors.  Like it or not, racing is about selling things.  She has a sponsor, Sauber needs money.  Even precious F1 is not immune.   Drivers bringing funding is how it works now.  Even ol' Fred Alonso is bringing funding.  Welcome to 2014.  As soon as FOM realize it's 2014 and not 1985 the sport and the participants will be in a  better place.  Or at least a more economically stable place.

#98 loki

loki

• 2,153 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 00:32

heh, don't give the FIA any more goofy ideas, bad enough that they run Prius engines as it is...

That's a "power unit", thank you very much...   ;)  That's exactly what it is, at least conceptually.  One bad MoFo of a hybrid engine.  It's a bummer about the sound but if it were exactly like a Prius you may not hear it when it's going slow, like pit lane.   In a parking lot if you aren't careful it's easy not to hear them backing out of spaces and if they aren't paying attention it's easy to get hit by one.

#99 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,707 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 00:58

A lot of cynicism going on in this thread...

The Internets know nothing...

I wish her ALL the best.

Jp

Advertisement

#100 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:07

She is a good driver and you have to hire a woman to open the sport to women again in the future.  That is the direction the FIA wants to go.  There are women in the pipeline, some quite young, who show a lot of talent, but they will give up if what they see is Suzie Wolff serving as an example of their prospects in the sport.  That's not what one aspires to as a young driver.

From that perspective, I think she has a very good chance of being seated in 2015 at Sauber - assuming the money and politics we know nothing about work out.

According to my neighbor, at this rate, by the year 4000 women might actually have a voice in this world.  Perhaps she is a bit cynical, but I feel her pain.