- - - - -

V8 Supercar 2014

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#151 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,564 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 19:17

Ovals seem to be an engineering exercise for the most part, it's about feedback and tweaking the car. 

Advertisement

#152 W154

W154

• 333 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:13

In the defence of the organisers. The cones were required, though why was hitting them not penalised. The second safety car was I feel nesecary!  Leaving a slightly battered Erebus where it was could be a little dangerous!

Lee, the second safety car came out about 40 laps before the Erebus crash which happened about lap 135-140. The 3rd SC came out while they cleaned up the mess and I heard Crompton say "it all boils down to a 20 lap sprint to the finish". The most amazing part of that was they showed it all without an ad break !!

#153 W154

W154

• 333 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:30

I think that is Pye, the better performed driver!

Team Penske info shows Car No 16- Scott Pye, Car No 17- Marcos Ambrose. Looks like David Wall to make way for MA.

#154 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,464 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:20

nope, well they are controlled and need to be homologated but a few brands are used. most teams are on sachs (which 888 distribute) while FPR and a couple of others use supashock , HRT did use ohlins but changed to sachs last year I believe.

Supashock sounds very interesting.  Obviously Oscar Fiornotto used to be called "the man of one thousand springs" by certain self-appointed expert pundits, but clearly he knows his stuff!

By the sounds of it he has purpose developed these units specifically for V8 supercar requirements (and for certain GT racing applications too)...

Provided the teams are confident in the reliability of it (which they clearly are), and they have the damping curves for them, then that sounds quite cool; and it sounds that switching is straight forward as it is simply a matter of replacing a known with a known... given they will fully dyno the shocks of course.   :cool:

It reminds me of the aftermarket damping company developed by ex-Ford Australia engineers, I can't remember the name of that one?  That must be a separate company.

Edit - Shockworks is the one I am thinking of, run by ex-Ford australia suspension engineers.  Heck, between them and Murray Coote Automotive it seems like quite a crowded segment, that of the "Australian damper expert".  :p

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 16 September 2014 - 15:35.

#155 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,833 posts

Posted Yesterday, 23:48

The continuing saga continues re the Supercar giggle day on the same weekend as the Bathurst 12 hour. Reading Speed Cafe the Nismo people are up in arms as the wanted to use Kelley infrastructure and driver/s. Now Roland Dane has came out and said he had to knock back an unnamed international team to run with his infrastructure. But he refused as he is committed to V8SC! That I feel may be a little suss!

Many  V8 drivers were committed to running the event. And I am sure they would be paid to do so.

Erebus have been very quiet. They have been a leading player in the 12 hour. Are they running at all? Or is Betty that broke? The cars have been run from two seperate venues, but I am sure the would still be sharing trucks, and team infrastructure and staff.

This whole saga is about TV,, 7 has the 12 hour live. Fox may show edited hilights 'live'. Not 2 full days of what is really yawn. The reasons given is they are competing against cricket! Which really is not a reason.

CAMS should get its act together. The NCR rules do not permit 2 major racemeets in the same state on the same day. While the giggle day is not a racemeet it is still an event which I presume they still have to issue a permit for. Unless V8SC are running  a 'private practice day' which then will contravene their own rules.

To run 2 events will be a strain on officialdom, flaggies, stewards, fire and incident vehicles. Bathurst consumes many more than most events, plus being a 12 hour event will need more. I suspect that most officials would prefer to be at a International race meeting than a media day/s!

So if for no other reason CAMS can preclude a permit.

V8SC have been on a downward spiral. Cars that have little resemblance or specification to road cars, eg V8 Volvos and Nissans. And are very expensive to build and maintain.

The Fox TV deal will turn off 2/3 of the TV watchers. No ifs buts or maybes.

Then this saga which is dog in the manger and detrimental to motorsport. The comments on SpeedCafe are nearly 100% negative to V8SC. As is the Fox deal too. Which will limit sponsor exposure to said 2/3 of watchers. [including myself]

The only 'positive' to come from them this week is Penske is joining the series. Via DJR. At least it should be positive, Roger may have made a rare mistake. on that time will tell.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, Yesterday, 23:55.

#156 wonk123

wonk123

• 927 posts

Posted Today, 01:44

Lee, I couldn't agree more on your comments re the 12 hr V8SC media day. CAMS needs to fix this NOW!!

#157 S3baman

S3baman

• 2,356 posts

Posted Today, 02:07

Can someone explain to me the Bathurst situation? I thought V8 was at Phillip Island this week? 

It's a shame to see 7 lose the TV rights, I really love Skaife's and Larkham's commentaries. Will the team switch to FOX a la Sky Sports F1 or no?

#158 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,833 posts

Posted Today, 03:02

Can someone explain to me the Bathurst situation? I thought V8 was at Phillip Island this week? 

It's a shame to see 7 lose the TV rights, I really love Skaife's and Larkham's commentaries. Will the team switch to FOX a la Sky Sports F1 or no?

Level 3. Evidently with a 14 y/o bloke and Cameron McConville!

Headlines are Sports Sedans which around the Island are about a week faster, or at least Ricciardello and Hossack are.

GT3 Cup, Saloon Cars, F3, Sports Racers and Radicals? and Karts.

Probably not a bad event for $30 on Sunday. Just too far for me to go from Adelaide!