Photo

People using drivers' 3 letter FOM screen names

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 R Soul

R Soul

• 1,639 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 16:03

It makes sense for FOM to shorten driver names for some of their displays, such as ALO, VET, HAM and so on, but I would like to suggest a rule against forum members doing the same thing. You might think it a bit harsh, but it would be for their own good. I suspect people do it for the same reason people use jargon. They feel it makes them look like an insider, with knowledge of all the codes and acronyms, but in reality it makes them look silly.

An alternative to a rule would be a php script that replaced those three letters with the drivers' real surnames, as long as it looked for capitals, otherwise there could be confusion if people appear to be saying "The Vettel said my cat was overweight", or "Hamilton is nice in a sandwich".

Advertisement

#2 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,754 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 16:10

Good job Pic's left.

#3 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 16:31

Agree it looks like a HAM fisted attempt to appear knowledgeable, BUT I don't know what we can really do. I don't have time to VET all posts so if it BOThers you now, maybe it will GROw on you over time?

#4 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 16:38

I dunno, I feel exactly the opposite, it's much easier to follow a thread when endless hes and hims and theys and ours are replaced with HAM, SUT, MAS etc. I've never once got the impression people use them to look like an insider. How would using names everyone here sees on their TV all day long imply you have inside knowledge? If anything it implies you've been sitting on your couch all day scraping Cheetos dust out of your beard like the rest of us, watching the race on TV. Posts with the FOM nicks tend to feel more detached and unemotional than usual as well, which is a plus around here. And it's way better than just using initials and trying to figure out if MW is Martin Whitmash, Mark Webber, etc.

Plus, how can sacrifice the comedy gold that would ensue after a Button > Grosjean > Perez podium?

Edited by Andrew Hope, 20 February 2014 - 16:39.

#5 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 16:43

AND HOP has a point.

#6 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 16:58

Bah!  Just use inappropriate nicknames; e.g. Finger boy.  Or semi-politically incorrect ones like Fred Alonso.

NEI (or is that NFI?)

#7 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 18:35

what...seriously...christ people will moan about anything these days

#8 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,236 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 20:16

True, but it does come across incredibly wanky when people do use these codes

#9 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 22:57

Well if they didnt allow drivers with difficult surnames like Raikon...Raikoe...Rakonn ... Kimi, then this problem wouldnt be around

I'd prefer to see a list of terms banned like

Finger Boy (nods to Neil)

real racer

cheese tyres

#10 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 23:15

Well if they didnt allow drivers with difficult surnames like Raikon...Raikoe...Rakonn ... Kimi, then this problem wouldnt be around

I'd prefer to see a list of terms banned like

Finger Boy (nods to Neil)

real racer

cheese tyres

"purists"

"fan boy"

"tradition"

"rose-tinted specs"

"real fans"

"Aussie grit"

"I blame Pirelli"

"the pre-DRS era"

I considered lobbying for a straight red to anyone who brings up Ayrton Senna in a thread that isn't about him, but after two weeks of such a policy it'd just be the IndyCar guys left and it would feel rather lonely.

#11 R Soul

R Soul

• 1,639 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:37

On that note, the thing that prompted me to start this thread was someone using SEN and PRO.

#12 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:50

I take it you refer to the "Racing Comments" area, as we in TNF only use of three-letter codes would be the IATA codes for our destinations (e.g   HAM = Hamburg).

If we have to use such codes to communicate to the rest of you, can you decode LAU, NUV and CAR?

Bit of amusement available for us when watching the Ecclestone (PD) circus is that Felipe Massa's abbreviation is Momote, Manus Island, PNG

#13 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:48

Oooo!  Ooooo!  I know the answer to that one Mr. Lupton, sir!  Sir!

LAU = Lauda, a famous driver of racing automobiles from the olden days.

NUV = Nuvolari, another famous driver of racing automobiles from the even older olden days.

CAR = a short word for racing automobiles.

Shall I stand in the corner, sir?  Or just report to the head as usual?

Neil

#14 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,773 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:50

Methinks you have fallen into Mr Lupton's trap. For I'm sure he meant a German driver of even oldener oldener days than that young Austrian whippersnapper Lauda ... :p

I suspect you may need to see Mr Lupton for a damned good thrashing, you impudent colonial!!! That'll teach you a lesson.

Plus a detention during which you must read and then answer fifty questions on the content of William Court's 'Power and Glory'.

#15 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:35

This ^^^

#16 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 13:44

Methinks you have fallen into Mr Lupton's trap. For I'm sure he meant a German driver of even oldener oldener days than that young Austrian whippersnapper Lauda ... :p

He did indeed!

By analogy with MSC and RSC we once would have had ALE and KLE but in period they were often known as ALG and KLG.

#17 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,773 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 14:01

He did indeed!

By analogy with MSC and RSC we once would have had ALE and KLE but in period they were often known as ALG and KLG.

Bit of a problem distinguishing between ADO and ADO though ... presumably ADO would have had to become ACD.

Edited by Vitesse2, 21 February 2014 - 14:02.

#18 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,754 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 14:02

And FAG would probably be censored Stateside.

#19 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 14:27

It's at least fractionally better than the TMZ-level stupidity of RoGro. But given the parent site's obsession with the misuse of the word fever, I have no confidence in people talking normally.

Advertisement

#20 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 14:53

He did indeed!

D'oh, Christian Lautenschlager slipped my mind.  Ahhh, I mean, the dog ate my homework, sir!

Beside I think the TLA for Herr Lautenschlager is probably really actually LAUTENSCHBEER.

Neil

#21 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,773 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 15:02

Actually, Neil, one translation of Lautenschlager would be 'loud popular song medley'!

#22 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 9,580 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 15:05

Actually, Neil, one translation of Lautenschlager would be 'loud popular song medley'!

I thought it translated as "Lager-louts".

#23 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 16:39

I was able to field quite a good quiz based on literal translations of racing drivers' names - in this case Chris Lutenist, but who were Louis Beans, Joe Flour and Jack Piece in their own languages?

#24 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 19:28

I suspect you may need to see Mr Lupton for a damned good thrashing, you impudent colonial!!! That'll teach you a lesson.

Plus a detention during which you must read and then answer fifty questions on the content of William Court's 'Power and Glory'.

Reminds me, I really must get a copy of 'Power and Glory' one day.  Shame all the copies I can find on Abe look to be about $75 or up, and just when I've run out of kidneys to sell.

EDITED TO ADD:  Ohhh, $50 on Amazon.  Only have to sell a less useful piece of anatomy for that.  Anyone need a lightly used, near new condition brain?  (Signed by Abby Normal)  Still very tempting!

Neil

Edited by Option1, 21 February 2014 - 19:30.

#25 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,773 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 20:24

Reminds me, I really must get a copy of 'Power and Glory' one day.  Shame all the copies I can find on Abe look to be about $75 or up, and just when I've run out of kidneys to sell.

EDITED TO ADD:  Ohhh, $50 on Amazon.  Only have to sell a less useful piece of anatomy for that.  Anyone need a lightly used, near new condition brain?  (Signed by Abby Normal)  Still very tempting!

Neil

That's a very reasonable price. It's the 1988 reprint, so not on the heavy art paper used for the original. None the worse for that though - and if you ever decide to get Volume 2 then the jacket designs will match!

#26 BRG

BRG

• 25,897 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 21:00

He did indeed!

KLG?  Wasn't that a spark plug?  Or am I getting confused?

#27 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,773 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 22:07

It was both. :)

#28 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 23:48

As V2 says it was both: the man (Kenelm Lee Guinness) and his company which made the spark plug

#29 BRG

BRG

• 25,897 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 20:05

As V2 says it was both: the man (Kenelm Lee Guinness) and his company which made the spark plug

Champion!  That's Lodged in my mind now.  Glad that he wasn't a Bosch.

#30 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,340 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:30

D'oh, Christian Lautenschlager slipped my mind.  Ahhh, I mean, the dog ate my homework, sir!

Neil

How do you know that he wasn't actually referring to Roger Laurent?

#31 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:19

The answer to that is easy; because we got this far into the thread and he hasn't corrected me yet. :D

And two of the US sellers on Amazon of "Power and Glory" apparently won't ship to Canada, which is unusual.  I'll have to try again because the Amazon message was cryptic at best.  :mad:

Neil

#32 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,773 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:53

How do you know that he wasn't actually referring to Roger Laurent?

Because Lautenschlager - being substantially earlier - would take precedence. Laurent would probably be RLA and Lauda NLA :)

But this is now getting very silly ...

il7oW.jpg

#33 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,754 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 13:53

Would Lauda not be RAT?

#34 Ristin

Ristin

• 111 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:17

Fagioli, Farina and Stuck.

Just a minor off topic remark some of you might be interested in: Stuck does translate as stucco, not as "piece". Piece would be Stück instead. For all those who don't have the ü on their keyboard: the convention is to replace it with ue, eg Stueck

#35 Roscoe

Roscoe

• 136 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 13:02

I actually agree with the OP.  I don't know why it bothers me, it just does.  Everyone has irrational things that annoy them.  Just type their name  :mad: .

Edited by Roscoe, 25 February 2014 - 13:03.

#36 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,877 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 13:27

I actually agree with the OP.  I don't know why it bothers me, it just does.  Everyone has irrational things that annoy them.  Just type their name  :mad: .

I can see your problem.

If the screen says "ROS", we don't know which of HAM's bitches they're referring to...

#37 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 16:52

Brilliant.

#38 Roscoe

Roscoe

• 136 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 17:54

I can see your problem.

If the screen says "ROS", we don't know which of HAM's bitches they're referring to...

There's only one and her name's Britney   ;) .

#39 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 22:24

Tell me about it..