- - - - -

Corners that technically break FIA rules

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 JeordieX

JeordieX

• 69 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 22:24

Found this list of technical regulations regarding circuits on another forum, and was wondering was corners or track sections on the F1 calendar (or other circuits) break these rules.

1. The start/finish straight of a GP circuit should have a slope of no more than 2%.

2. It is preferable to have at least 250m from the start line to the first corner.

3. The first corner (a turn of more than 45 degrees) should have an apex speed not exceeding 125kph.

4. Off-camber corners are to be avoided if at all possible, and if unavoidable, can have an apex speed of no more than 125kph.
5. Corner banking may be no more than 10 degrees without specific FIA approval.
6. It is preferable that corners NOT include elevation changes.
7. Decreasing radius corners should be avoided, but if present, should have an apex speed of no more than 75kph.

8. The track width foreseen should be at least 12 m.

9. Where the track width changes, the transition should be made as gradually as possible, at a rate not greater than 1 m in 20 m total width. 

Edited by JeordieX, 25 February 2014 - 22:29.

Advertisement

#2 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 22:26

Oh Rouge <3

#3 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 22:27

Why are off-camber corners a problem? They lower cornering speeds...

#4 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 22:28

Found this list of technical regulations regarding circuits on another forum, and was wondering was corners or track sections on the F1 calendar (or other circuits) break these rules.

1. The start/finish straight of a GP circuit should have a slope of no more than 2%.

2. It is preferable to have at least 250m from the start line to the first corner.

3.. The first corner (a turn of more than 45 degrees) should have an apex speed not exceeding 125kph.

4. Off-camber corners are to be avoided if at all possible, and if unavoidable, can have an apex speed of no more than 125kph.
5. Corner banking may be no more than 10 degrees without specific FIA approval.
7. (This last one I haven't read in a while, and have had a hard time finding of late). Decreasing radius corners should be avoided, but if present, should have an apex speed of no more than 75kph.

That's why we have Yas Marina and other Tilkedromes.

edit:

does it comply?

http://bitchslapmag....n_live_news.gif

Edited by bogi, 25 February 2014 - 23:13.

#5 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,744 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 22:34

I'd like to see the specific rationale behind each of the rules.

Yes, I have got all day.

#6 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 22:37

Jeez it's a wonder we don't have square racetracks given how many parameters there are. I bet Tilke would love to design a 'real' circuit hejust has not really had the chance. 

#7 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 22:42

Oh Rouge <3

The first corner is La Source - no problem!

That said, I wonder if Spa doensn't have a problem with (1) and a few other ones as well.

#8 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 23:03

I would imagine Suzuka breaks many of these rules.

The first corner alone breaks 2 or 3 of those.

#9 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,152 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 23:08

Monaco.

#10 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,624 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 23:08

Copse is also much faster than 125 km/h.

What is the rationale behind avoiding decreasing radius corners?

#11 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 23:20

How is it even possible to limit cars to 125kph if the turn is, let's say 46 degrees, and 12 meters wide? F1 cars would do 250 trough that! (Hockenheim T1)

#12 PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE

• 1,108 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 23:29

I've never seen these tech regs before. I'd like to see an official source because they appear to have been transgressed many times.

#13 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,744 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 23:29

It's a little-known fact that between 1992 and 2000 there was a US Grand Prix circuit in construction. Due to a cock-up in the draughtsman's office they built a decreasing radius corner where instead of straightening out eventually, the radius kept decreasing in an endless spiral. Apparently the building crew is still out there, although whether the track is now a) nanometers wide, b) deep underground or c) sharing a parallel universe with the Flushing Meadows street circuit, the Donington infield extension and South Korea's Champ Car track, is unrecorded.

Thankfully Max hushed the scandal up and Bernie distracted everyone's attention by saying something about the Nazis breaking a few eggs but getting things done. But from then on the decreasing radius corner was declared angulus non grata.

Edited by Risil, 25 February 2014 - 23:30.

#14 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 23:44

All of them corners who's entire personality can be summed up in a single digit number. The loss of imagination is our real Predator style killer. Except turn #8, I miss that wonderful Tilkewhatever.

#15 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 23:52

The FIA are useless chumps. 

#16 scg92

scg92

• 44 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 23:57

Those rules make it hard to have any interesting corners :/

#17 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 00:10

http://www.fia.com/s...cembre 2013.pdf

Article 7 onwards seems the relevant bit.

#18 MLC

MLC

• 537 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 00:10

Decreasing radius, off-camber, elevation changes... These are what makes a corner challenging for drivers. 

#19 Seano

Seano

• 358 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 00:16

I think all circuits that aspire to host a GP should have examples of at least 3~4 challenges on the list. Its supposed to be a sporting challenge for the best drivers in the world to exhibit their skills.

If I became such a tormented soul that I actually wanted to watch an economy run on a parking lot, I'd get a gun and take my own pain away.

Seano

Advertisement

#20 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 00:30

I thought Tilke had purposfully built off-camber corners into Abu Dhabi? 

But to be honest no wonder the soul is being sucked out of F1 if these are the rules that are being adhered to.... 

#21 Morbus

Morbus

• 489 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 00:31

Those rules are the reason F1 is no longer about the venues...

#22 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 00:36

These are more what you'll call guidelines, than actual rules, especially when it comes to existing circuits.

#23 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 00:37

It's not anymore the T1 of Silverstone but I think Copse, followed by the Becketts corners and Stowe before the first huge braking at Club, was the best start for the lap. Huge breakings at the beginning of the lap are crash traps on the 1st lap, Silverstone had the first huge breaking after half a lap.

#24 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 00:40

I've got a lot of sympathy for Tilke after reading that list. I've done my share of designing fantasy mod tracks for computer games, and from testing all kinds of corner combinations and alternatives on completely blank canvas of terrain (not real terrain with real tight constraints like real life architechts deal with), I can guarantee you it's really tough to design any kind of interesting circuit without breaking any of those rules. Those little anomalies are what gives a circuit its character. By such a tight list of rules you also ensure all circuits built to them look like each other.

I can think of a lot of examples that break the rules in the F1 calendar but they are all old ones as you'd expect. Eau Rouge, several Monaco corners, several corners in Suzuka, T1 in the previous Silverstone layout, etc. Although I question for example Shanghai's turn 1, how did that get approved under Tilke's reign already. Bahrain's long radius corner that tightens before the final backstraight.

I've long wanted to see a really quick long corner that tightens just slightly, imagine something that starts on 6th gear then they've got to drop to 4th as it goes along. That kind of thing would be fantastic to watch but apparently ruled out. Actually long radius corners appear to have been wiped out in recent decades after being widely popular up to until the 80s or so. Things like the Parabolica in Estoril and turn 2 in Magny-Cours. I think the theory is that they kill overtaking but with DRS the hell with that as it's no longer a concern, we need to bring those corners back.

#25 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 00:40

Essentially it seems the FIA encourage track builders to construct any type of corner they want, provided nothing you can do there is fun.

#26 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 00:51

They require a bit of skill to master. 

Copse isn't exactly 90 degrees though. 

#27 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:01

Awesome! I think martinsville complies!

#28 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:05

I'd say Interlagos old start/finish is way more than 2%.

#29 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,205 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:16

Essentially it seems the FIA encourage track builders to construct any type of corner they want, provided nothing you can do there is fun.

Can't help but agree, reading these rules. What pains me is this: what does it take to reverse rules like this?

#30 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:35

Are these rules for safety or tv viewing angles?

#31 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:39

I assume these are guidelines for new circuits. 

#32 OO7

OO7

• 23,405 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:48

You mean Abbey   ;)

#33 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 1,278 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:26

Phrases like "preferable", "but or "to be avoided if possible" make it more like guidlines more than anything. But still, I don't get most of them. 

#34 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:57

Regualtion no.1 for all F1 circuits:

1- Pay Bernie

#35 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:42

Remove the words "NO" and "NOT" from the checklist and you have a list describing the most epic track in the universe.

#36 mistareno

mistareno

• 1,689 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:00

I guess they won't be staging an F1 race at Bathurst any time soon....which would be ptetty epic btw...

#37 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:23

wow.

bye bye Suzuka then :wave: :(

#38 zdzisio

zdzisio

• 257 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:30

I guess they won't be staging an F1 race at Bathurst any time soon....which would be ptetty epic btw...

A lot of mindless overtaking on the straits due to DRS and a lot of safety cars or even red flags due to crashes in downhill mountain section, so no, not really.

#39 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,624 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:51

You mean Abbey   ;)

Wow, I had no idea that they moved the S/F line. You see, my interest in F1 has dwindled over the past few years, only to be re-invigorated by the new Turbo regulations :)

In any case, I find these "guidelines" completely absurd. I can understand for example why they would want to have a wide track, but avoiding off camber corners, elevation changes, radius changes is totally wrong in my opinion.

Advertisement

#40 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:30

I would imagine Suzuka breaks many of these rules.

The first corner alone breaks 2 or 3 of those.

yes.

Suzuka Circuit;

> 2.8%

3. The first corner (a turn of more than 45 degrees) should have an apex speed not exceeding 125kph.

> technically T1 angle is around 50 degrees with apex speed of more than 260km/h

> Spoon is off-camber corner(s), with apex speed of at least 180km/h

> Almost all corners is consisted of elevation change.

7. Decreasing radius corners should be avoided, but if present, should have an apex speed of no more than 75kph.

> Does that mean a corner or corner complex sharpening? If so, Spoon complex, T1-2 complex, Degner complex, and S complex possibly conflict with it. Also slowest apex speed at any point is way more than 75kmph.

8. The track width foreseen should be at least 12 m.

> minimum track width at Suzuka is 10m

9. Where the track width changes, the transition should be made as gradually as possible, at a rate not greater than 1 m in 20 m total width.

> I'm not so sure about this but the track narrowing down at T1 looks sudden and abrupt, rate greater than 1m per 20m.

#41 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,909 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:35

The guy who wrote these rules probably crashed his family car in a tourist lap around the Nordschleife.

#42 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:59

I find this one particularly odd. When thinking of first corner accidents I think of Ste. Devote, La Source, Long Beach, Monza, Montreal, etc. Very rarely do/did you see big first lap crashes at Abbey, Copse, Tamburello, Estoril T1 (in F1 days), etc.

If anything having a faster T1 allows cars to spead out, thinning the pack at the first braking point.

#43 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:09

The guy(s) who came up and approved these guidelines deserve a massive slap in their crown jewels (if there are any).

Seriously, some time ago I thought about starting a thread about which elements make for a good racing circuit, and many of those I imagined are included in this list. What a joke :down: Might think about starting the thread after all, simply as an anti-thesis to this bullcrap.

Edited by Jovanotti, 26 February 2014 - 08:10.

#44 Impellam

Impellam

• 321 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:52

This actually makes sense for the FIA to provide such guidance. Think corporate manslaughter. Think insurance and liability. Whether you like it or not, it's a fact of life and the FIA must mitigate its risk the same as any other organisation these days. Just remember all of those hideously naff "where there's a claim, there's blame" commercials issued by the bottom feeder's of the legal industry and it becomes clear what the motive is, whether as 'purists' we like it or not. It's just a sign of the times we live in.

#45 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:17

Turkey, India, Austin and Korea, NEW circuits, break some of these rules, in all cases more than once (corner elevation, reduced radius, camber apex). 

I have therefore concluded that these rules are the work of a jobsworth and indeed bollocks (they really exist, just nobody cares). 

#46 fluffy38

fluffy38

• 87 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:30

Turkey, India, Austin and Korea, NEW circuits, break some of these rules, in all cases more than once (corner elevation, reduced radius, camber apex). 

I have therefore concluded that these rules are the work of a jobsworth and indeed bollocks (they really exist, just nobody cares). 

yup! pretty sure the slope change on the straight at austin is more than 2%

#47 HeidfeldsBeard

HeidfeldsBeard

• 599 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:39

I think they are definitely more guidelines than rules. As long as they are respected and not recklessly abused the FIA will turn a blind eye. - a bit like the speed limit on the Motorway.

#48 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,124 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:46

It's interesting to see how Tilke has challenged these and still created tracks that are great for racing if not for driving. Malyasia, China, Bahrain have all created some great racing but are ultimately boring to drive. The possible exception was Turkey which was a great track to drive.

Overall these are ridiculous rules don't necessarily create safer racing tracks OR better racing. What's the point when guys like Maldonado and Grosjean can get into F1? Like legislating the China Shop to suit the Bull.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 26 February 2014 - 11:47.

#49 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:08

Suzuka breaks all of those rules, but I think they apply only to new circuits, no? I don't think they're meant to be retroactively applied to existing circuits.

#50 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:09

So I was playing Brands Hatch on GT6. And thought of this thread. So, pretty much the entire track would be illegal. Every corner has elevation change for the most part. Look at Paddock Hill (T1)! A sloping downward right. Totally illegal for F1. Maybe more so than any corner in motorsport. Definitely not seeing that small British circuit back on the grand prix calender.