Photo
- - - - -

Help needed with Mitchell software (Geometry)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 examateur racer

examateur racer

• 26 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:02

Hi all, is there a user that knows this software I am trying to resolve a geometry issue with my racecar and am having trouble with the most basic of editing the geometry X/Y/Z points.

Advertisement

#2 GBarclay

GBarclay

• 178 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 18:08

If no one responds, I suggest trying the apexspeed.com forums, I know there are several people there familiar with the Mitchell software. 

HTH

#3 examateur racer

examateur racer

• 26 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:04

Thanks, good idea!

#4 Pat Clarke

Pat Clarke

• 3,023 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 00:58

Slightly off topic, but Bill Mitchell passed away about six weeks ago. RIP.

A lovely man I worked with many times at FSAE competitions, Bill had been in poor health for several years, yet still made the effort to get to events to interface with the students.

Unable to fly, he drove from his home in North Carolina to the FSAE event in Lincoln Nebraska last June. He looked frail and along with the other Design Judges, I wondered if we would see him again. Sadly, that was the case.

Bill was a mathematician by training with degrees from CalTech and Stanford. He started in motor sports as a spectator, followed by several years as a flag marshal with the San Francisco Region of the SCCA, for whom he also wrote a column in their magazine, The Wheel. This led to award-winning articles in the SCCA’s Sports Car magazine. To the end, Bill had a subtle way with the written word.

In the early 80’s, Bill put his mathematics expertise to work on some of the first personal computers and began the development of his "Racing by the Numbers" program to calculate suspension geometry. This began his involvement as a race engineer, starting out in Club Racing and progressing through CART with Chip Ganassi’s team and Trans Am with Tom Kendall and Roush Racing.

http://www.autoweek....ports/140229791

Pat

Edited to add a more suitable obit.

Edited by Pat Clarke, 04 March 2014 - 06:24.