Lola Mk 4 at Monza

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Macca

Macca

• 3,725 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:35

http://s111.photobuc...571303549349377

This link (sorry it's so long but I can't get a short link on the new format forum) shows a car in the paddock at Monza - the photo was identified as a Lotus 24 and the year as 1963, but the distinctive engine cover, fron suspension and gearbox show it to be a Lola.

It has low exhausts so would appear to have a BRM engine; but I have never heard of a Lola-BRM. The Motor Sport report by DSJ mentions only Climax-powered cars.

So is it a different year, a Climax-powered car with unique low exhausts, or what? Also is that Eoin Young in sunglasses in the photo?

Paul M

Advertisement

#2 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 706 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:41

Wasn't there a BRM powered Lotus 24 with a Lola body?

Certainly a car of that ilk has appeared in historic races over recent years. I recall it was owned/driven by Paul Alexander and by Peter Revson in period.

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:58

Yes indeed - chassis P1 built by Parnell - but surely that only ever had inboard spring/damper units operated by rocker arms, like the 'proper' Lotus 24s. As Macca says, the car in the photo has outboard front spring/dampers.

#4 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 15:27

Wasn't there a BRM powered Lotus 24 with a Lola body?

Certainly a car of that ilk has appeared in historic races over recent years. I recall it was owned/driven by Paul Alexander and by Peter Revson in period.

I agree. If it's car #42 (the cockpit cover is leaning against the wall) then it's the Parnell Lotus 24-BRM which was driven at that event by Masten Gregory. However, I can't explain the suspension setup.

#5 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,087 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 15:53

For what it's worth it looks like Chris Amon talking to Eoin Young to me, with Masten Gregory in the background looking down at his car.

#6 Macca

Macca

• 3,725 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 16:17

Where it first appeared, the ID of the photo was based on the nose leaning up in the background, which is indeed off a Lotus 24.....but I think it's off the next car in the line, hence the confusion.

The rear bodywork of the mystery car alone would point towards the Lola-bodied Lotus 'P1', but the visible front suspension is pure Lola, as is what can be seen of the gearbox and surrounding chassis.

Paul M

#7 opplock

opplock

• 944 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 16:24

DCN's History of the Grand Prix Car 1945-1965 provides the answer at least about the bodywork. Car 42 at Monza was a Parnell entered Lotus 24 ((24/P1) driven by Masten Gregory. This was one of 4 Lotus 24s "completed from parts and/or spare frames by the Parnell team in 1963 and carried no official Lotus chassis numbers".  

To further quote DCN "P1 - BRM P56 engined frame for Tim Parnell 1963 for Reg Parnell (Racing)'s use - to Revson Racing 1964 under Parnell umbrella with Lola T4 bodywork." As Parnell were using Lola bodywork on their Lotus could they not also have modified the car to use Lola suspension components?   

#8 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,503 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 17:00

You can see the screen and mirrors on the car, so I don't think the nose leaning against the pit wall can be from it.  It is possible that Parnell had a flat crank Climax engine.  There weren't many of them around in '63 but Gurney's Brabham, which used one earlier in the year, had conventional high exhausts at Monza so Parnell could have got the flat crank.

#9 Macca

Macca

• 3,725 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 17:26

The intakes on a Climax-powered Lola would have a high mesh cover but the one on post 1 seems to have a piece of rag over low intake trumpets - remember how a BRP Lotus 24 with a BRM engine could have a much lower engine cover than with a C-C.

http://img513.images...olamkivclim.jpg

Here's another photo of a Lola with low exhausts, and low intake trumpets without the high mesh guard.

Paul M

#10 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,503 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 19:23

Motoring News" report of thee artier Austrian Grand Prix said that Amon drove a Lola with a flat-crank Climax engine.

#11 Concreteconrods

Concreteconrods

• 29 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 19:34

Yes it is a flat crank Coventry Climax V8 in the Reg Parnell Lola Mk4 that Chris Amon drove. He had that engine in the car at the British GP in 1963 too. I was there & remember seeing it!