- - - - -

Spanish F1 GP transport to circuit

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Willythekid

Willythekid

• 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 14:30

Our first time to this event in May.. We shall be staying in a hotel in Barcelona and I believe not too far from Metro station(s) etc..  From one's experience  is the train to the circuit a good option? can you get on them...is it crush?  (esp in the morning ) on both qualifying and race days?  We are pretty fit and not exactly infirm ..would appreciate some feedback from those that have been there and done it !!   thanks, David

Advertisement

#2 d246

d246

• 1,042 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 15:45

Worth checking the F1 Fanatic website for this info.

#3 Willythekid

Willythekid

• 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 16:19

ok thanks for that.

#4 MarkRaishbrook

MarkRaishbrook

• 60 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 21:58

If you take the train, you'll have a 30-minute walk to the circuit. But do a search for Barcelona F1 track or similar on TripAdvisor; you'll find lots of useful information there.

I drove to the track in November 2008 to watch some of the F1 testing. I think it took around 45 minutes from the centre of Barcelona. I have a three-day pass for the race this year (Grandstand G!) and will probably drive again. Hope you have a great weekend!

#5 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,954 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:53

Trip Advisor ?

I got your Trip Advisor right here baby...

Jp

#6 f1madmatt

f1madmatt

• 17 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 15:17

Hi. I went in 2012 and I'm going again this season. I caught the train all 3 days. It's a 30 minute walk to the circuit, uphill on the way there. On sunday after the race, the police were counting the number of people going into the station, took me about 20 mins to catch a train. Quite well organised .

#7 F1TestCatalunya

F1TestCatalunya

• 55 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 14:59

Mark, how did you go about watching the tests in '08? Did you need tickets? Were the grandstands open?

Asking because I planned on going to this years test, but am clueless as to how it works these days

http://forums.autosp...-2#entry6677674

thank you

#8 MarkRaishbrook

MarkRaishbrook

• 60 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:12

There was no need for tickets in 2008. Parking was free, as was access to the main grandstand. It was all very laid back. Don't know if it will be like that again this year, although I suspect it will. 

#9 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:51

Went to the winter test at Barcelona last year - tickets could be bought at the circuit on the day (15 Euros) or free entry if you had race tickets. Not sure about parking as I got the train from Barcelona and walked to the circuit. The whole circuit was open to walk round and a selection of grandstands. I love going to the tests, 8 hours to watch and hear the F1 cars, you have time to walk round the whole track and view the action from all the corners, and its great for photos etc and much less busy. At a race weekend I don't want to waste the little time cars are on track walking to another vantage point and then being stuck behind people so without a good view anyway.

#10 F1TestCatalunya

F1TestCatalunya

• 55 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 18:24

Exb,

I also went by train from Barcelona in 2011 and 2012 when I watched the MotoGP races.

In '11 I sat at the N grandstand by T9, and in '12 I sat in the main grandstand at the start/finish straight. I liked both locations.

I have already booked a flight to this test, and even if the circuit should indeed be closed I still will have not traveled to Brc in vain, because my sister lives there,

so I get to meet her at least.

If you read my link, what do you think the reason might be that there is no information to get about this test?

#11 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 22:50

Exb,
I also went by train from Barcelona in 2011 and 2012 when I watched the MotoGP races.
In '11 I sat at the N grandstand by T9, and in '12 I sat in the main grandstand at the start/finish straight. I liked both locations.
I have already booked a flight to this test, and even if the circuit should indeed be closed I still will have not traveled to Brc in vain, because my sister lives there,
so I get to meet her at least.

If you read my link, what do you think the reason might be that there is no information to get about this test?

I don't really know why there is no information - last year the winter tests were well advertised before Christmas, however thinking back to the Silverstone young drivers test last year, that was pretty close to the test before they decided they were going to open it to spectators (I think they only confirmed after the British GP, so only a few weeks before so there is still some hope).
During the Bahrain test, which was covered by a French site doing live updates they noted a couple of times that it was a private test so maybe the F1 teams don't want it open to spectators? Although as press are allowed I don't see what difference allowing general public in makes. There does appear to be sites selling hospitality for the test, so if you don't mind paying a bit that is possibly one option.

For viewing I would highly recommend the grandstand at the end of the pit straight in front of the first corner (I think its F?), it gives great views of cars down the straight and you can really see the speed and then how quick they slow under braking, it also gives views of the cars through turn 2 and into 3, and then also into corner 5 through to 7/8 as well as cars coming out the pitlane. If I was going to watch a race I think that would be my pick. Turn 4 and turn 5 are good for photos as the cars are going slow and you can get quite close, with no fences in the way. Also a good spot for photos that was open to get to was the inside of the circuit at turn 1 and 2 by crossing the bridge before turn 6 (and you could get onto a viewing platform so could see turns 1-3 and 5-9) don't know if that is accessible on a race weekend though. Another good spot is the grandstands near the final chicane (H) as you get a good view of the cars through the stadium section (turns 10-16) and can see which cars go into the pits. To be honest the viewing is pretty good from most spots, both grandstands and general admission areas, although there wasn't many people there, not sure what it would be like in GA when busy.

#12 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:14

Since this is supposed to be another private Pirelli test, I understand fans won't be allowed to the test unfortunately.

#13 F1TestCatalunya

F1TestCatalunya

• 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 19:09

Where did you hear this, cp?

#14 MarkRaishbrook

MarkRaishbrook

• 60 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 21:29

Since this is supposed to be another private Pirelli test, I understand fans won't be allowed to the test unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure there was ticketing information for the test on the Circuit de Barcelona website a while back, but the Formula One Test Days link on the Calendar page is no longer working. I'm going to ask my sister-in-law (who lives in Barcelona) to ring the circuit and find out what´s going on. Will report back ASAP.

#15 F1TestCatalunya

F1TestCatalunya

• 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 23:40

That's great, Mark.

Hopefully she will have better luck than me, I e-mailed the circuit as I mentioned before, but couldn't get a straight answer from them.

Anyway, I will go to the circuit on the tuesday for sure, maybe also wednesday.

#16 MarkRaishbrook

MarkRaishbrook

• 60 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 21:01

That's great, Mark.

Hopefully she will have better luck than me, I e-mailed the circuit as I mentioned before, but couldn't get a straight answer from them.

Anyway, I will go to the circuit on the tuesday for sure, maybe also wednesday.

She rang the circuit this morning and was told it will be open to the general public during the two days of the test. They also said the website will have more information on the testing (ticket prices, I guess) this coming Monday. Good news!

#17 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 22:21

She rang the circuit this morning and was told it will be open to the general public during the two days of the test. They also said the website will have more information on the testing (ticket prices, I guess) this coming Monday. Good news!

:clap: Great news (off to check out flights now :p). Thanks to you and your sister-in-law for making the effort to find out :up:

Edited by Exb, 26 April 2014 - 22:23.

#18 F1TestCatalunya

F1TestCatalunya

• 55 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:43

Yes, thanks a bunch for the Sherlock Holmes-work. :up: :up: :up:

Edited by F1TestCatalunya, 27 April 2014 - 09:44.

#19 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 19:22

Is it fairly easy to get tickets on Saturday afternoon or even on Sunday morning for the race at the ticket box office?

Advertisement

#20 F1TestCatalunya

F1TestCatalunya

• 55 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:22

Mark, indeed some "F1 Test Days links" appeared on the circuitcat.com website this Monday, but it only leads you to a dead link,

no information there at all. I have e-mailed the website people through their contact form (twice now), no replies.

#21 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 19:39

Mark, indeed some "F1 Test Days links" appeared on the circuitcat.com website this Monday, but it only leads you to a dead link,
no information there at all. I have e-mailed the website people through their contact form (twice now), no replies.

Bad news I'm afraid :( It appears they have changed their minds about making this open to the general public. I got the following reply from them when I enquired if they were going to sell tickets:

No sale of tickets for the Formula-1 test, if the test is performed only people with access will be able to check for the Grand Prix of Formula-1 circuit or partners

Glad I double checked before booking flights and hotels - there were some great deals out there as well :cry: Guess I'll have to make the trip to Silverstone for Friday practises instead for my next F1 fix.

Hope those of you going to the GP have a great time, its a great circuit for spectating even if the races are not always the most exciting, it never seems to matter as much if your at the track and the atmosphere should be great, especially if Fernando has a good race. :wave:

#22 MarkRaishbrook

MarkRaishbrook

• 60 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 19:57

Aaaaargh! I'll get on to my sister-in-law again.

#23 F1TestCatalunya

F1TestCatalunya

• 55 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:58

Exb, yes I also received the same e-mail:

Hello

One will be able to access the test of Formula 1 Circuit partners or people with entry for all three days of the Grand Prix of Formula 1.

No ticket sales for the test.

regards

I however have already purchased plane tickets :mad:

The kind of back and forth with differing information from the people at the Circuit is crazy.

If they do allow people with Grand Prix tickets to enter, why not also sell individual tickets for the test?

Don't they want to make more money? They don't make any additional money on allowing the weekend spectators in on Tuesday and Wednesday,

because those people have already paid only for the weekend. :confused:

Mark, I will get in touch with my sister in Barc, and see if she can call them as well.

Is this the number your sister-in-law called, (34)-93-5719700 ?

thanks

Edited by F1TestCatalunya, 01 May 2014 - 09:58.

#24 MarkRaishbrook

MarkRaishbrook

• 60 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:14

Yep, that's the number she called. Still waiting for a reply from my in-law.

Ironically, I have a three-day pass to the GP but have to be back here in Lisbon on the Tuesday so won't be able to go to the test!

#25 MarkRaishbrook

MarkRaishbrook

• 60 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:05

More news from my sister-in-law. This morning she was told that members and people with tickets to the GP will be allowed access to the tests (the opposite of what they said last week), but they "hadn't yet decided" whether they would be selling tickets on the day to anyone else. 

So what's actually going to happen is anybody's guess.

#26 F1TestCatalunya

F1TestCatalunya

• 55 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 20:30

Thank you, Mark.

This is a right mess, I do wonder how many people's plans are being screwed because of this lack of a definitive statement from the circuit organisers.

Regardless, I'm going to the circuit on the test Tuesday to try my luck, I have already purchased plane tickets and already taken a leave from work.

My father wants to go, too, but he needs to be sure people are being allowed entry to the test before he decides. So I'm unable to give him a straight answer :drunk:

I couldn't get in touch with my sister in Barcelona today, but I will try and get her to call the circuit as soon as possible, if only to show them that there are indeed people

wanting to come to the test. People lacking the seemingly "oh so important weekend tickets" :|

Edit:

I just e-mailed the Circuit de Catalunya people again, asking them to please re-consider their decision of only allowing people with GP tickets entrance.

There are many fans that want to come to the test, but might not be there for the GP.

I don't care if it comes across as desperate, I just hope they realize the situation.

More fans should contact them also...

Edited by F1TestCatalunya, 02 May 2014 - 21:00.

#27 MarkRaishbrook

MarkRaishbrook

• 60 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 21:40

A glimmer of hope on the Circuit de Barcelona website. The Calendar page now has a working link to "Formula One Test Days" towards the bottom of the leftmost column in the "CHECK THE CALENDAR ACCORDING TO THE TYPE OF ACTIVITY" table. The link points to news from last year's tests, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't there earlier.

I've emailed the circuit as well!

#28 F1TestCatalunya

F1TestCatalunya

• 55 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:31

Well my sister called the circuit yesterday, they won't seem to budge.

They still refer to the weekend tickets as the only means of access to the test on Tue and Wed. :|

They never replied to my e-mail unfortunately.

#29 MarkRaishbrook

MarkRaishbrook

• 60 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 21:43

I got a reply to my email this afternoon:

"Hello

For Formula-1 test no ticketing, accessible only to members of the circuit or persons with the entry of three days for the Grand Prix of Formula-1

regards"

Absolutely ridiculous. :evil:

As I won't be going to the testing, I'd be more than happy to let someone have my three-day GP pass if they'd like it** (and if we can figure out logistics). I'm driving from Cascais to Barcelona tomorrow morning at 8 and will only have internet access when I get to Sant Cugat around 12 hours later. But post here if you're interested and we can try to work something out over the next couple of days.

** After the GP of course!  :yawnface:

Edited by MarkRaishbrook, 07 May 2014 - 21:44.

#30 F1TestCatalunya

F1TestCatalunya

• 55 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 17:58

I'm going to Barcelona on Monday, and I'd love to reimburse you for your ticket, say €15 (like Exb mentioned above where he purchased test tickets for €15 on a previous occasion).

Problem is, I'm travelling with my father and would need a second ticket for him.

We were planning to go out to the circuit on Tuesday, even though we won't have weekend tickets with us.

We have very stubborn minds, and are hoping the circuit attendants will let us purchase some sort of test tickets anyway, even though we know full well that their website says you don't stand a chance without GP tickets.

Like Exb wrote above:

Went to the winter test at Barcelona last year, tickets could be bought at the circuit on the day (15 Euros) or free entry if you had race tickets.

Why couldn't they have done this once more? I tell you, Circuit de Catalunya is truly one of the worst run circuits on the calendar.

Edited by F1TestCatalunya, 08 May 2014 - 18:01.

#31 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 21:45

I'm going to Barcelona on Monday, and I'd love to reimburse you for your ticket, say €15 (like Exb mentioned above where he she  :p purchased test tickets for €15 on a previous occasion).

We were planning to go out to the circuit on Tuesday, even though we won't have weekend tickets with us.
We have very stubborn minds, and are hoping the circuit attendants will let us purchase some sort of test tickets anyway, even though we know full well that their website says you don't stand a chance without GP tickets.

There is a small chance they may make tickets available after the GP - at the moment they are trying to sell tickets at about €100 for the GP weekend so they may be concerned some people won't bother buying tickets to the race if they can get into the test for €15 and also it then seems like an extra incentive to buy the 3 day ticket as it gives access to the test that otherwise you couldn't go to.

Circuit de Catalunya is truly one of the worst run circuits on the calendar.

When I went to the test there was some issue with selling the tickets - I didn't get to the track until 10.30 on the first day due to my flight and there was a small queue at the ticket office but the sellers seemed to go on a 1/2 hour break - the Spanish fans were not amused and started shouting things at the stewards on the gates, who in turn got very annoyed back. I had no idea what was going on but the ticket sellers returned eventually and I got in so all good in the end, wasn't the best start (or impression) to the day though.

Anyway good luck - I hope you get in to the test somehow and enjoy the GP @MarkRaishbrook! :wave:

#32 F1TestCatalunya

F1TestCatalunya

• 55 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 15:41

she :p

so sorry :blush:

Anyway good luck

thanks! :)

#33 MarkRaishbrook

MarkRaishbrook

• 60 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 17:03

I'm going to Barcelona on Monday, and I'd love to reimburse you for your ticket, say €15 (like Exb mentioned above where he purchased test tickets for €15 on a previous occasion).

Problem is, I'm travelling with my father and would need a second ticket for him.

No need to pay any money, F1TC. I'm happy just to let you have the ticket. I drive back to Portugal Tuesday morning, though (hoping to avoid another 150 euro fine for speeding we got on the way here!). Any thoughts on how I could get it to you?

Great day at the circuit today. I'm exhausted and burnt to a crisp, and ready for more mañana!

#34 F1TestCatalunya

F1TestCatalunya

• 55 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:23

We'll be landing at just past 12am (00:10) Tuesday, so the only option I can see is if you leave the ticket at the gates and let them know someone will pick it up. I'd still like to pay you, though.

But that is most likely not allowed, I seem to remember when I watched the MotoGP at CircuitCat that the tickets were individual.

I'm guessing your name is on the ticket? It's all for naught anyway since I don't want to get in and leave my dad outside :)

Seems they have added new info now on the test, and there won't even be an information desk at the circuit:

http://www.circuitca...php?c=25&ed=174

#35 F1TestCatalunya

F1TestCatalunya

• 55 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 14:38

Mark & Exb, is there a semi-good spot outside of the circuit perimeter where you can catch a glimpse of the cars? Like on a hill or tall place somewhere/anywhere.

Asking about it just in case we won't get in to the circuit proper. thanks :)

#36 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 23:13

Mark & Exb, is there a semi-good spot outside of the circuit perimeter where you can catch a glimpse of the cars? Like on a hill or tall place somewhere/anywhere.
Asking about it just in case we won't get in to the circuit proper. thanks :)

Not that I saw, I walked round to the back of the circuit from the station for some strange reason (probably added an extra 15 mins on) so ended up walking round half the perimeter on the outside of the circuit (the side with turn 1 too 9) and I was desperate to get a glimpse of the cars but they were well hidden and you could not see the circuit at all, I could hear the cars though (all the way from the station)! However there were a couple of spy shots from the merc secret test last year that someone took from a hill nearby but not sure whereabouts or how close, I think you would need a very good set of binoculars.

Link to story about the secret test and the photographer also has this to say which may help you: http://www.foxsports...l-1226656234911
"At the Ferrari test I could take pictures from the gate on the corner of New Holland [the final corner]," Pius tells me. "But because of the security cameras four security men were quickly sent to me, and they told me it was a private test and I had to leave the area. They told me, ‘Please, Pirelli does not want photos, this is a GP2 test, and the truth is it's nobody famous.' I had the picture, so I left!
"At the Mercedes test the door was fully closed at New Holland, covered with a red canvas that made it impossible to see who it was. There were people from ISS, a company dedicated to the monitoring and control of the circuit, who did not let me stay over 10 minutes in the ‘street' by the gate. I recorded the audio, and decided to climb a mountain to make those pictures."

I think this would be near gate 2, which was the far end of the circuit that I did not walk round, if you look on google maps street view there does appear to be a section where you can see over the wall near the pit entrance - photo here https://www.flickr.c...02/14161596372/ but like I said I didn't walk round that side so can't be sure how much you would get to see.

#37 MarkRaishbrook

MarkRaishbrook

• 60 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:08

We'll be landing at just past 12am (00:10) Tuesday, so the only option I can see is if you leave the ticket at the gates and let them know someone will pick it up. I'd still like to pay you, though.

But that is most likely not allowed, I seem to remember when I watched the MotoGP at CircuitCat that the tickets were individual.

I'm guessing your name is on the ticket? It's all for naught anyway since I don't want to get in and leave my dad outside :)

Seems they have added new info now on the test, and there won't even be an information desk at the circuit:

http://www.circuitca...php?c=25&ed=174

Sorry for the late reply. Very limited internet access!

There's no name on the ticket. Will try to think of something and post later on today.

#38 F1TestCatalunya

F1TestCatalunya

• 55 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 14:27

We got in both days, for free!

#39 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:58

We got in both days, for free!

Good to hear - you must have been 2 of the 4 spectators that were there then!

Advertisement

#40 F1TestCatalunya

F1TestCatalunya

• 55 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:20

I would guess there was about ~200 people on the Tuesday. Double that on the Wednesday (much nicer weather).

#41 MarkRaishbrook

MarkRaishbrook

• 60 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 21:47

I would guess there was about ~200 people on the Tuesday. Double that on the Wednesday (much nicer weather).

Fantastic news! Hope you had a great time!
It's a thoroughly enjoyable track with a terrific atmosphere. Over the three days of the grand prix I must have walked around it 15 or 20 times - great for taking pictures. This was the view from my seat in Grandstand G, section 22.

bar.jpg